The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield Cailín and Eomer would like to announce their engagement

Hello all. Wonderful news! Cailín and myself, Eomer of the Rohirrim, have recently become engaged to be wed. There are a few Downers who already knew we were on that path but now, with the acquisition of a beautiful ring, it's official enough to announce to our favourite internet community.

Though Cailín is not an active poster these days, preferring to haunt these parts silently, she was rather busy on here a few years ago - especially in the Werewolf games. In fact, that's where we first met! You know how it goes: he's the wolf, she's the Seer, she dreams of him, they are both massacred bloodily, and it's all very romantic.

When it emerged on the 'What do you assign to Mordor?' thread that Cailín was negotiating a year abroad in Aberdeen, Scotland (or God's Ain Toon as it's usually called) we started PMing, and chatted amiably enough to decide an RL meeting might be appropriate. Things went swimmingly, and a few weeks later we were an item. Her year at Aberdeen University ended, and I decided to return with her to her homeland of the Netherlands in 2007.

We've since realised that we can put up with each other well enough, and have agreed to take the plunge into marriage. So there you have it. We understand it's not the most original thing, the whole Barrow Downs wedding, but we thought you'd like to know.

So thank you Barrow Downs!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Congratulations! All the best to both of you!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
In the same way that the two of you jumped on the Downs Couple Bandwaggon nice and early, I'd like to hop aboard the congratulations bandwaggon before that gets passé, and offer my sincerest congratulations to you both, Eomer and Cailín.

Although, like as not, most of us wouldn't be able to make such an event, can we hope for getting gold-lettered invitations to the wedding, ala the Long-Awaited Party?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Yeah, another Downer couple! Congratulations and all the best, Eomer and Cailín!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
We understand it's not the most original thing, the whole Barrow Downs wedding, but we thought you'd like to know.
Well, marriage as such is dreadfully unoriginal and bourgeois; it's also more adventurous and challenging than any WW game, but I'm sure you two will do fine! At least each of you will understand when the other becomes unavailable for about two weeks and raves about votes and suspicions in their sleep...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Felicitations!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
We have not many 'Downer marriages (three or four?), but of those few two are ignited by the WereWolf!

Remember all that talk how the game arouses feelings - as far as the mods needing to occasionally come forwards because of some heated feelings... but they clearly can heat this way as well!

Congrats to you both and may you live in happiness for everafter!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Many Congratulations and All The Best!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I join the congratulations and I have to say that however "unoriginal" BD weddings might be, it always makes me happy to hear about things like that. And it somehow makes our warm and cosy forum seem even more warm and cosy. So may you both carry into your future life together the best from here, and once again all the best to both of you!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations to Eomer and Cailín!

The good thing about 'Downer weddings is that it shows what nice people we have here. And, yes, it does make this forum seem warmer and cosier.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

Congratulations, Cailíneomer!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oh no! Aime, this clearly means that our long-standing love affair must end...

I shall just have to move on with my life, offer my sincerest congratulations to the two of you, and avert my thoughts from the matrimonial kilt.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
You know how it goes: he's the wolf, she's the Seer, she dreams of him, they are both massacred bloodily, and it's all very romantic.
And I thought my husband and I had a... peculiar first meeting, catching each other's eye across a VERY crowded room during a party at a science fiction convention in Minneapolis, love at first sight.

Congratulations to both of you. I wish you at least as much happiness as we've known together, and we're going on 33 years this year.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
About time.

Congratulations!!! Here's to many, many wonderful years together!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations to the both of you! A Downer wedding is such a lovely thing. My best wishes to you!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
1420!

Oh my, how amazing!!!!!

Congratulations to both of you!!! May you have many many many long and happy years together!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations to you both!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
On behalf of susceptible old ladies everywhere...

Oh goodie we will get to see Eomer in a kilt again *thud*.

And congratulations though it seems very belated - I had a rare moment of foresight even before you actually met and have wished you well ever since (as well as having the swallowed a cat feeling for being right, for once)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-02-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #18
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Barrow-downs: A Tolkien related dating site?

Congratulation, Eomer and Cailin!

May your days be long and merry
Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Comgratulations from me too! I'm happy for you, though I'm not entirely surprised, as I was aware that something was afoot...

Perhaps we should post some kind of disclaimer on the Downs:
Quote:
Warning: Membership may be detrimental to your marital status. This site is not liable for the success of any relationships formed by its members.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Congratulations!

Maybe I should start playing WW?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. Happy to cause warm and fuzzy feelings.

There are many people here who are partly responsible for this match, and you probably have no idea how much I owe you. The encouragement, teasing and random predictions were all helpful, I assure you. I have no idea what my life would be like if I hadn’t claimed the final spot on Werewolf XI (oh, so long ago now) and been pitted against Eomer in that epic battle.

And then when my professor mentioned off-handedly that Aberdeen University might be setting up an exchange programme with my home university, I remember thinking I had to go there because I was convinced I’d meet the love of my life. I even informed my professor about this curious premonition. I’ll leave it up to you to judge whether I am an excellent diviner or just mildly insane.

Perhaps now is also the time to confess that I have had a series of nightmares of Eomer running off with another popular Barrow-Downs member. Surprisingly, it is not Feanor of the Peredhil. Or perhaps I should just keep quiet about that part of my subconscious. Yes.

Needless to say, this place will always be very dear to my heart.

P.S. Formendacil, I do expect you to show up for the wedding. After all, you promised quite a while ago: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=444
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Great stuff you guys!
I'll make sure to send an imaginary emissary.

Can I recommend that, during the wedding celebrations, rather than having a cake out of which someone bursts, have a person who eats so much cake that he bursts. That'll be fun. Fun for all the family.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I wish you much good and little bad. That's as much as anyone can reasonably hope for.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
Perhaps now is also the time to confess that I have had a series of nightmares of Eomer running off with another popular Barrow-Downs member. Surprisingly, it is not Feanor of the Peredhil.
Clearly it couldn't be me, love. I don't run. I swagger.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
I’ll leave it up to you to judge whether I am an excellent diviner or just mildly insane.
Well....... you're a Barrow-Downer. Do we really have a choice other than "mildly insane"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
P.S. Formendacil, I do expect you to show up for the wedding. After all, you promised quite a while ago: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=444
Heh... erm... wellllll...

So, technically, I think I kind of committed to the first BDer wedding there... and Rikae and Mac definitely beat you there.

Although... I, erm, yeah... definitely *coughmissedcough* that one.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congrats, you troublemakers!

*glomps you both*
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #26
Joseph
Newly Deceased

Joseph has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Cailín and Eomer

wow! lucky Cailín and Eomer good luck hope it all goes well.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, this is no surprise. In fact, I've been wondering for quite some time when there'd be some sort of announcement from you two. Congrats, Cailin and Eomer! I'm glad to hear you've found happiness together and I wish you two the very best.

Oh and btw, if I ever find myself if the Netherlands again, I'll definitely have to look you guys up. I'm still sad we never got the chance to meet two years ago, especially considering I passed right through where you live multiple times..
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ai! I missed this thread!

Congratulations to you from both of us!

Who cares about "original"? All good things deserve to be copied.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
About time.
Oi! She beat me to saying it. (Well, no wonder since I'm like three weeks late. I wonder if it's a sign, last time there was a BD engagement, I also found out a few weeks later. maybe I'm cursed. )

Anyway, lots of congrats to you darlings! And of course: awwww.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #30
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Many congratulations!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #31
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Awww, you guys! Many happy years together to you! In love is a great place to be.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #32
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
So this one time I just saw this thread and it feels very belated, but congradulations Eomer and Cailin! *refrains from making gushy comments...recomposes* <3 Boro, both of you get back here soon now, ya here?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #33
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya

Congratulations you two! Enjoy each other through life!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #34
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
We always planned to do this but it never happened (mostly because everyone seems to be on Facebook nowadays).

But here for anyone who is interested is how a couple of Downers looked on their wedding day

And showing off the outfits:

Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Outstanding! I don't think I could wear a kilt half as well.

Best wishes for your future happiness.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #36
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Congratulations! You look lovely in those pictures! All the best to both of you!

I always knew that playing WW has some good things to it to compromise the lack of sleep.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well have more congratulations - and I saw different pics on FB so it is nice to see these too... and more pics of Eomer in a kilt!!! *squeaks happily*

Seriously they are lovely, happy pictures of you both.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Must've missed the very announcement...congratulations and affections to you both (from a demi-countryman of the groom and ardent trews if not kilt abuser) - a beautiful and natural turn of events and very life enhancing photos
Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'm sorry I missed the original announcement!! Many congratulations too you both!! The pictures look great and you both look fantastic!!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya

I am so glad for you two.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote