The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree Are They Rhinos?

Well, upon watching my 18 round of RotK, I realized something very odd. In the seen with Grond, there are these two weird creatures pulling it twords the gate. They look very much like Rhinos, because of their build and one hord. Then I thought, maybe it's a new breed Sauron made from Mumakil, like turning elves into orcs. Then I thought they were difformed Mumakil. But one thing I think I can say is that it comes from Harad or some non-West Middle Earth place. And since no one in the movie recognises it, and I can't remember it from the book, can someone inlighten me?

I guess I never saw it because of all of RotK, it's hard to remember one detail when so many cool things are going on
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Yeah, they do kinda look like rhinos. It's certain that Sauron had them, maybe brought from Harad, but rised in Mordor, 'cause they're pulling Grond and there are no Haradrim around. They'd have to be VERY difformed mûmakil if at all, because the creatures which pulled Grond they're horns were for certain on the top of their heads, but the mûmakil's tusks are just very overgrown teeth (if we can assume that they're the same as elephants).

Maybe they're the M-E version of rhinos like mûmakil are the M-E version of elephants.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
It's safe to say that they aren't mûmakil, & equally safe to say that they are an invention of Peter Jackson & Co. They look cool, though.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I asked the same question some time ago. Maybe you'll find what you want here:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2968
Old 06-02-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
i have the "art of the Return of the king" book and in it some of the artists said that it was just an invention they created so they could have more creatures and not have the mumukhail pull Grond
Old 06-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Yeah. It's probably PJ being his creative self. However, I would like to know what he calls them. That's a question!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
they are an invention of Peter Jackson & Co
Not entirely, Son of Númenor. As Elrond of Rivendell said in the thread to which Thorongil linked, Tolkien does refer to great beasts pulling Grond:

Quote:
Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it.
I don't think that Tolkien ever describes the beasts, so their appearance is pretty much a matter of interpretation. Personally, I think the designers did pretty well. They appear to be based on a prehistoric mammal called an Arsinoitherium which, despite its appearance is not related to the rhinoceros, but belongs to an extinct group.

Edit: Ah, found some pictures of the beasties

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 06-02-2004 at 05:47 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Originally posted by Sir Saucepan:
"I don't think that Tolkien ever describes the beasts, so their appearance is pretty much a matter of interpretation."

Or sub-creation.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I always thought they were Rhinos coming from far Harad.
I thought they were neatly done. They could have been the ancestors of the real rhinosorous.
However when I first watched the movie I already noticed them and I thought to myself "COOL!!!!"
Old 06-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Not rhinos, but I`m sure they are related. Kinda like the Mumakil and elephants.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
White Tree

Not rhinos, but I`m sure they are related. Kinda like the Mumakil and elephants.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
With regard to Saucepan man's post, only a few lines before that quote Tolkien refers specifically to the mumakil as "great beasts".

But still, if they really wanted ot have different creatures, why not go for John Howe's version of them, since he was one of the lead artists on the film? I don't have a pic on me, but in a drawing of his of the Siege of Gondor he has these huge things, like twisted great beats of burden (kind of an awesome ox, but without the "cowness" which might otherwise look a bit silly.cute ) - now those are far better creatures imho than our hornéd film-friends.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote