The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting Controversy

Okay, I've got a fifteen page research paper to start and I need something to write it on. The paper is supposed to be an arguementative essay and I wanted something to do with LotR.

I know about the "gay" controversy and the "Christian" controversy, (both of which seem to have been bashed into the ground). Are there any other controversies about LotR that I could form an opinion on and write an essay about? Thanks in advance for the help! (If I can, I'll be sure to credit this place as a source; I'll likely be back to ask questions as the paper progresses, too, so I'll have to credit the source for sure then!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

well, there's always the balrog-wings controversy. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Granted it's been battered down into the pits of Moria, but if you're wanting something relatively unbashed, then you might as well give up now.

Or you might try something along the lines of the difficulties of making it into a movie.

Those are my two pennies, anyways.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Meriadoc
Pile O'Bones

Meriadoc has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Meriadoc Send a message via AIM to Meriadoc
Sting

Well, there's my favourite, who is Tom Bombadil?
Gandalf
Meriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:27 PM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I think if you try to write about Who Is Tom Bombadil you will quickly run out of ideas. I think it would be too challenging to write a long paper about Tom. The research would be hard as well.

If you are well read in all of Tolkiens books, the Balrogs Wings/No Wings can easily get you writing ALOT. But then again, do you really think a teacher will want to read such a paper? I dont.

I suggest the Christian thing that has already been pounded on. It is very easy to make connections between the Bible and Tolkiens work. But I try not too seeing as he specifically said there is no allegory whatesoever.

Have fun though.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hmm...

- You could claim LOTR as a first rate work of twentieth century literature (monstrously huge topic but plenty of available research material)

or

- You could show the important APPLICATIONS (not allegory) of LOTR to modern life such as liberty versus totalitarianism in the Scouring of the Shire -

or

- the significance of the Ring as an application regarding - you name it - money and politics and power - etc.

or

- racism, using the Dwarves as a type of the Jews (that's straight from Tolkien - see his letters), elves versus dwarves, men versus both, the application of hobbits in that entire mix, etc.

all kinds of fun stuff.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I would go with the race relations theme. There is plenty of fodder in Unfinished Tales regarding race realtions, especially between men & elves. And, the Silmarillion also has some juicy tidbits!
I wish you luck! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 09:25 PM   #7
Amanisilion

Sting

Or you can argue that the entire trilogy is an allegory, contrary to what Tolkien has stated. There are many essays and books out there that explain Tolkien's intentions in writing the lord of the rings.

Or else, you can write about LOTR and WWII (Sauron=Hitler).

Or write about the one ring as a source of technology that is curruption, etc. blah blah, and theres always the environmental issue! Good luck!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:23 PM   #8
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

GROAN!!!! Don't even mention research papers. I have two of them to do this semester, and neither one of them are on anything even as remotely interesting as Tolkien. Or even on anything remotely interesting... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 03:42 AM   #9
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*groan* I'm sorry to hear that, Kuruharan. At least we got to pick what we wanted to argue about...

Thanks for all these great suggestions, guys! Sadly, though, I don't think I can use any of them for my paper. I believe what Tolkien said about LotR not being allegorical (but he did say that it was Christian at heart! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

One thing that keeps popping up as an idea to me is: the importance of LotR as an "escapist" novel or the importance of "escapism" in literature. Anyone have any thoughts on how I might research/narrow this topic? I know the critics all about had heart attacks when LotR was named greatest book of the twentieth century but that's about it...
Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eye

How about doing a research paper about the importance of reading Tolkien as an escape from doing research papers. It's a topic I am VERY familiar with. However, I must warn you that professors tend to get very upset when you start trashing their reason for existance. Take it from someone who knows.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #11
Rhudladion
Haunting Spirit

Rhudladion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You mentioned reading Tolkien as escapism.

How about suggesting that Tolkien's works are escapist of a different kind. He suggested that Myth is the only way to talk about "real truth", yet I don't know a reader who is not captured by the LOTR and as a result doesn't experience some form of escape. So we have an interesting paradox: an author writes an epic story claiming that it communicates real truth (trancendant truth/supernatural or spiritual truth), yet reader's of the epic experience a great release from the world around them, desiring to be part of Middle Earth.

What a concept: Escape into Reality.

There! I've even given you a title. You could easily discuss Tolkien's view of Myth, Tolkien's style, the LOTR's difference from other "fantasy" (I hate calling it that) works, all within the confines of the topic.

Take it or leave it. Good Luck!
Rhudladion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 03:46 PM   #12
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehe, don't you love these kind of papers. I'm writing one like that too.

And it's kinda fun cause I'm turning it against this small little college I go to. It's spilt down the middle. Half for Star Wars, half for Tolkien and I've been comparing them. Did you know Jedi is a recognized as an actual religion now!

We Tolkien Fans aren't that crazy are we?
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #13
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmmm...had not pondered the escapism theme. That's a good one!
Research papers should be considered a form of cruel & unusual punishment! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 01:17 AM   #14
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is always the male dominant theme which of course was relational not only to the era but also the theological/ proffessorial time frame. You could relate it to Tolkien's childhhood etc.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:29 AM   #15
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

You could also explore the class hangover that is often debated about. You know, the kind of importance given to one's lineage and the 'servant-master' realtionship between Sam and Frodo.
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:16 AM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Great idea, Rhud! Rosa, if you decide to go that way, Tolkien's own essay "On Faerie Stories" is must-reading, in which he describes the PURPOSE for fairie story as being "escape to (oh shoot I forget the right word - something like) recapturing to consolation". Escape is from the dry existence we find ourselves in, recapturing (NOT the right word but my book is loaned out and not handy) is about finding all over again a sense of wonder, and consolation is about bringing back that sense of wonder from the faerie story and seeing that our own existence actually does reflect a piece of it. Like Rhud said, take it or leave it, but it's a good one.
Old 02-09-2002, 05:29 PM   #17
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Re: escapism. I found that, while reading the book, if I had had a bad day, i thought that Tolkien's world was a damn sight better than our own. Granted you have good and evil still having it out with each other, but look at the state of the world here: cars, pollution, holes in the o-zone layer, killing animals for 'sport' and 'fashion', scientist faffling about with our food (GM), 'designer babies', cloning, rape, murder, mugging, vandalism, etc. Whew. Makes middle earth seem slightly better option, despite its flaws. But, like I said, it was after I had a bad day [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 11:39 PM   #18
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I hear you, Enedhil.

I was reading "On Faerie Stories" last night and am determined to use it as one of my sources. I love what Tolkien says about the gospels of Jesus of Nazareth in there,(but I'm too lazy to go and look it up).

"Escapism" is very important to me, for certain. It's all that got me through middle-school. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I think I will start researching the importance of "escapest" literature, particularly LotR. Thanks again for all your help, guys!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:50 PM   #19
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Good luck, Rosa! Let us know how it goes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2002, 08:53 PM   #20
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Good Luck! Tell us all about your paper and how it went when your done!
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:39 PM   #21
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Of course I will! Heh, I might even submit it to the fanfiction section at The Barrow-Downs! (But it'll be a while; the essays not due to be finished until the end of the sememster in May.)
Old 02-10-2002, 11:34 PM   #22
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Realising, of course, that we will accept no blame if you bomb! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 04:18 PM   #23
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I guess it's not much of a controversy, but the whole singing thing, you could late singing in LotR to various other legends and myths. Maybe... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote