The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Hobbitt_Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Noldor or Numenoreans

Who were physically stronger?
Hobbitt_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It depends on what you mean by "stronger", and it will probably depend ore on the individuals of both races. Personally, I think the Noldor were stronger (being Elves), but the Numenorians came very close.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

I guess, just picking the largest of each as a start. On the Elf side we know Thingol, Turgon, Argon, Maedhros, Penlodh were all giant in stature and I guess for men it would be the likes of Turin, Hurin, Hador, Huor, Tuor, and Elendil.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll still go with Noldor. Although it really depends on the situation - are they just lifting weights, are they in a battle, are they running a race, armwrestling, etc?

If it's in general, I think Elves win. But in certain situations, Numenorians might be stronger.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Kinetic force or muscle power.

Last edited by Hobbitt_Fan; 02-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "stronger", and it will probably depend ore on the individuals of both races. Personally, I think the Noldor were stronger (being Elves), but the Numenorians came very close.
I would agree. And I think the Noldor would have better weapons too, being master craftsmen.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbitt_Fan View Post
Who were physically stronger?
Isn't this question more applicable to the world of computer games rather than Middle earth--or Arda?

The quality which made Feanor the highest representative of the Noldor was the fire which burned within him. Such fire is metaphoric or symbolic rather than material (although he does literally die of fire in the end). That's just one example of the ethos of the Legendarium where physical strength is not the most important quality in a character or the determining quality in an event or situation. Tolkien explored pride, power, will rather than brute physical force.

--just my humble contribution
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

I don't know. Assuming that Gil-Gilad possessed such fire which made him formidable, I am assuming that since Elendil possessed it not, he was also able to melee Sauron though brute physical force. They threw down Sauron and slew him together even though they both perished in the process.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I agree with Bethberry: in Tolkien's works physical strength is less important than the strength of the mind + other such things. However, we do notice that those who are strong are held in honour as much as those with other attributes.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
However, we do notice that those who are strong are held in honour as much as those with other attributes.
I think Tolkien's ideas about chivalry and the right duty of a leader come into play here, as he examined it in "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit-fan
Assuming that Gil-Gilad possessed such fire which made him formidable, I am assuming that since Elendil possessed it not, he was also able to melee Sauron though brute physical force. They threw down Sauron and slew him together even though they both perished in the process.

It wasn't Elendil's physical strength which enabled him to escape the fall of Numenor.

I think you are right that Tolkien uses the word "power' quite often, but his concept of power might include more than just physical might.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I think Tolkien's ideas about chivalry and the right duty of a leader come into play here, as he examined it in "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son".

It wasn't Elendil's physical strength which enabled him to escape the fall of Numenor.

I think you are right that Tolkien uses the word "power' quite often, but his concept of power might include more than just physical might.

I see what you are saying. Hurin could be one the characters where you definitely see the intertwining of strength of arm and will. The same could be said of others.

I do think physical strength was important to his view of ability. In the Fall of Gondolin, he makes a point to mention Rog is the strongest of the Noldor in a physical sense. He further makes a point of the physical strength of Rog's house when they sally forth in their last stand.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I see what you are saying. Hurin could be one the characters where you definitely see the intertwining of strength of arm and will.
The will is more iportant here, although the strength is also great.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

I agree and I understand Tolkien's use of strength in a spiritual or meta-physical way.

I brought this up in the novice section because it sounds like a vs. thread but I really am interested in terms of physical strength how the great Noldo Lords of the first age and the Mighty of Numenor or the 1st age Edain from the House of Hador stack up.

I know in the Children of Hurin, when Turin humiliates and accidentally causes Saeros death, it state he is stronger than any Elf.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Tuor is said to be stronger than any Elf of Doriath except for Beleg, but he is one individual compared to the majority that is probably weaker than most Elves.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Tuor is said to be stronger than any Elf of Doriath except for Beleg, but he is one individual compared to the majority that is probably weaker than most Elves.

Tuor or Turin? If Turin, I think at that point in the book he is only 17 and not yet in the fullness of his manhood. I wonder if Hurin had not convinces Turgon to withdraw during Nírnaeth Arnoediad, could Turgon have matched his feat? Or could have Hurin called out Morgoth to a duel and matched his feat?

The greatest of the Noldo Lords are said to be the tallest children of Illuvitar. The Noldo are said to be strong of arm and powerful of build, gifted in both craft and war, so that has me leaning that as great as Hurin or Turin were, they couldn't match a Turgon, Gil-Gilad, Fingolfin, Fingon, Argon, Maedhros, Rog, Glorfinedel, or Echtellion in feats of arms. That they are just a level of being above even the greats like Hurin, Turin, or Elendil.

Last edited by Hobbitt_Fan; 02-26-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Tuor or Turin?
My bad, it is Turin. However, I think that even when he grew up fully Beleg was still stronger and more skilled than him.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
TPotSS
Animated Skeleton

TPotSS has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When it comes to sheer physical strength, when Turin fought Saeros (before Turin was even full strength) Tolkien said that Turin was "as agile as any elf, but stronger."

So I'd say Turin once full grown was definitely stronger than everyone else.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

As I said before, Turin is one man out of hundreds. He is exeptional. The majority of men, even Numenorians, would probably be weaker.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
TPotSS
Animated Skeleton

TPotSS has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well sure, Turin is exceptional, but if the strongest of men is stronger than the strongest of Elves, it is possible that the higher ceiling indicates a potential higher average. Especially considering that Elves in general weren't known for being huge (only really some of their lords) where as the Numenoreans in mass were just giant (they averaged at least 6'4" if I'm recalling correctly their measure of half-man height and such).
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I believe that Beleg still remained stronger than Turin, and he was a Sinda. Noldor are supposed to be 'better'* than the grey-elves, so their strongest might top Turin.

It is hard to judge two different people from different races when they are not doing the sae thing - you can't really compare. We see an elf and a huan doing the same thing in LOTR - Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli running after the orcs. Also, they are together at the Hornburg and basically throughout the quest, but here their actions are described ore in-depth. I am quite sure you can classify Aragorn as "very strong". I noticed that Aragorn is stronger when it comes to things like fighting, or when he uses 'short outbursts' of strength. Legolas is not as uscular, and cannot work with a sword like Aragorn, but he is more enduring, his strength lasts for longer. (And Legolas probably isn't the strongest Elf either). So which one is stronger? You can't really compare, because they have different strength.

*'Better' is not the right word here, maybe. 'More developed' is ore like it, but not exactly that either.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Hobbitt_Fan
Pile O'Bones

This is from a Tolkien letter and since it mentions Gil-gilad, their increase in stature was to resemble the Noldor. So, size wise, their probably wasn't any difference at the height of Numenor. Whether they equaled the Noldor in strength, I don't know.

"The Númenóreans ... are in constant communication with their ancient friends and allies, either in the bliss of Eressea, or in the kingdom of Gilgalad on the shores of Middle-earth. They became thus in appearance, and even in powers of mind, hardly distinguishable from the Elves..."
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
With respect to stature we have some seemingly competing texts. I'll only post some 'later' examples here, but Tar-Elenion has posted an external history in the Translations from The Elvish forum (which I've just bumped with an addition).

There is a well known note in Unfinished Tales that implies Elendil the Tall is nearly 8 feet tall (but see below) -- and yet seemingly, Thingol should be taller for example, as the tallest of the Children of Eru -- but which Elendil is he taller than?

In any case, from a more general perspective...

Quote:
'They were called 'Halflings'; but this refers to the normal height of Men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Noldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.'

JRRT, Of Dwarves And Men, '1968 or later'

Quote:
'The Quendi were in origin a tall people. The Eldar (...) they were in general the stronger and taller members of the Elvish folk at that time. In Eldarin tradition it was said that even their women were seldom less than six feet in height; their full-grown elfmen no less than six and a half feet, while some of the great kings and leaders were taller.'

JRRT, late manuscript, The Lord of the Rings Reader's Companion, Hammond and scull, p. 107

The Numenoreans...

Quote:
'... the Numenoreans before the Downfall were a people of great stature and strength, the Kings of men; their full grown men were commonly seven feet tall, especially in the royal and noble houses. In the North where men of other kinds were fewer and their race remained purer this stature remained more frequent, though in both Arnor and Gondor apart from mixture of race the Numenoreans showed a dwindling of height and of longevity in Middle-earth that became more marked as the Third Age passed. Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).'

The problem is, I've no idea if these notes published by Hammond and Scull are earlier or later than the late statement from Of Dwarves And Men (in which the Eldar seem generally taller).
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
R.
Animated Skeleton

R. has just left Hobbiton.
I love this thread my opinion is that Elves were generally stronger physically then Men. It's hard to imagine anybody but a exceptional Human or a goup of Humans besting one of th Elder race in anything really.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Ulvenok
Banned

Ulvenok has just left Hobbiton.
I don't really think the elves immortality so to speak means much when comparing the physical strength of man and elf. Men had a much shorter lifespan therfore often had more will power. I think Turin would beat Fingolfin, only because his will and spirit seems so much more potent.
Ulvenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
When it comes to pure physical strength I would imagine the Numenoreans were generally stronger, especially the House of Elros.

The average height of the Numenoreans before their decline seemed to be taller than the 6,4 of the Noldor.

The House of Hador are all with the exception of Hurin stronger than the House of Fingolfin. Turin and Beren are the two strongest Children of Illuvatar. There is really not much to suggest the Noldor were stronger physically.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Height doesn't necessarily equal strenth. If you look at the animal kingdom the most powerful beast tend to be sturdy rather than plain tall. There are differend kinds of strength even among mortal athletes the strength of gymnasts compared with that of a rower or a rugby player. I suppose the strongest man might have more sheer power but the elvish speed and agility might give them the edge overall.

Superlatives are tricksy in Tolkien...oldest, tallest..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Height doesn't necessarily equal strenth. If you look at the animal kingdom the most powerful beast tend to be sturdy rather than plain tall. There are differend kinds of strength even among mortal athletes the strength of gymnasts compared with that of a rower or a rugby player. I suppose the strongest man might have more sheer power but the elvish speed and agility might give them the edge overall.

Superlatives are tricksy in Tolkien...oldest, tallest..
I agree with this to a certain extent and the dwarves were very strong despite their height. However, it is generally true that with greater height comes greater strength.

In the case of Turin we have the perfect blend of speed, power, reach and agility. He is stronger, more agile, faster and has the reach advantage, but is still an inferior warrior to his father.

Tolkien did tend to overuse oldest, but not tallest as much. Thingol was regarded as the tallest and after him Turgon, but later he added that Turgon's brother Arakano was taller.

Legolas is a standard Sindar from a noble family. We know he was shorter than Boromir and Aragorn, but was still tall so we can guess his height may have been around 6ft to 6ft 2. This adds weight to the writings that have the average height for the Noldor at 6,4 and the Sindar slightly shorter.

Last edited by cellurdur; 01-24-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
Legolas is a standard Sindar from a noble family. We know he was shorter than Boromir and Aragorn, but was still tall so we can guess his height may have been around 6ft to 6ft 2. This adds weight to the writings that have the average height for the Noldor at 6,4 and the Sindar slightly shorter.
I think that's a bit short for the average Noldo. According to one relatively late description Eldarin men were no less than 6 foot 6, and taller for some kings and leaders. Eldarin women: seldom less than 6 feet -- these heights are noted by JRRT in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes.

But there's another late description in Of Dwarves And Men where the Eldar appear to be generally taller. 'They were called 'Halflings'; but this refers to the normal height of Men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Noldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.'

I have no real evidence as to which text came after the other however, but as I say both are relatively late.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I think that's a bit short for the average Noldo. According to one relatively late description Eldarin men were no less than 6 foot 6, and taller for some kings and leaders. Eldarin women: seldom less than 6 feet -- these heights are noted by JRRT in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes.

But there's another late description in Of Dwarves And Men where the Eldar appear to be generally taller. 'They were called 'Halflings'; but this refers to the normal height of Men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Noldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet.'

I have no real evidence as to which text came after the other however, but as I say both are relatively late.

I am not sure where the description is of Eldarin men being 6 foot 6 comes from. I have seen the quote about the Noldor being around 7ft, but the notes says to look into the further writings in the Unfinished Tales. The Unfinished Tales has them at about 6,4.

The average Noldor is not one from the royal houses and nothing like the tallest.

I have given the example of Legolas previously who is actually from a noble Sindarin House. He is still shorter than Boromir, who is around 6,4 or so.

I don't think an average height of 6,4 is too short. The royal family of Numenor are directly descended from the two tallest of the Edain and 2/3 of the tallest Eldar. They were bound to be exceptionally tall.

It seems both notes are from around 1968.

This is all Christopher Tolkien has to say on the Eldar's height being 7ft.

See the discussion of lineal measurements and their equation with our measurements in the Legend of the Disaster of the Gladden Fields.[ This discussion (which, with the work itself belongs, belongs to the very late period-1968 or later) is found in the Unfinished Tales pp285. ff where a note on the stature of the Hobbits if also given.

Looking at Lord of the Rings and the information we have I don't see why you think 6ft 4 is a bit short for the average Noldor.

Aragorn was the tallest of the company, but Boromir, little less in height was broader and heavier in build.

Last edited by cellurdur; 01-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wasn't Galadriel meant to be the tallest of three elven women? And celeborn is described as tall but they are neutrally to be the same height. Eomer is described by Legolas as very tall. Gets a bit meaningless.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Wasn't Galadriel meant to be the tallest of three elven women? And celeborn is described as tall but they are neutrally to be the same height. Eomer is described by Legolas as very tall. Gets a bit meaningless.
There are very few direct comparisons. Except Aragorn being the tallest in the Fellowship. Glorfindel and Elrond both being taller than Gandalf.

If Galadriel was man high for the Noldor at 6'4, then this would explain why she was the tallest of the Noldor women. Their average height probably being around 5'10 to 6'0. The Teleri as indicated by Legolas were probably slightly shorter than the average height of the Noldor. Maybe the average height for the Teleri was around 6'0 and thus Celeborn at 6'4 would be tall for a Teleri and the same height as Galadriel.

When the Exiles dwindled the Rangers were probably around the same height as the average Noldor. In Numenor they had been slightly taller maybe around 6'6 or so.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #32
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I suppose if you take on the conceit that Lord of the Rings was written by a Hobbit then everyone is tall

I don't like the thought of Elves being 'seven foot tall' - makes me think of aliens...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes there is that factor such as when Merry is tripped over by Elfhelm in the fog en route to minaa tirith and Elfhelm is described as tall and Merry eishes he was a tall rider of Rohan. Not clear at all if Elfhelm is tall for a Rohir or just seems tall because Merry is a Hobbit and the Rohirrimnare taller generally than the men of Bree that hobbits might be more familiar with.

There was some horrible eugenics experiment to breed tall warriors IIRC..Failed mo doubt because tall people lumber around due to the lack of oxygen at that altituee....

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I am not sure where the description is of Eldarin men being 6 foot 6 comes from.
Hammond and Scull published this information in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings.

Quote:
'The Quendi were in origin a tall people. The Eldar (...) they were in general the stronger and taller members of the Elvish folk at that time. In Eldarin tradition it was said that even their women were seldom less than six feet in height; their full-grown elfmen no less than six and a half feet, while some of the great kings and leaders were taller.'

JRRT, late manuscript, The Lord of the Rings Reader's Companion, Hammond and scull, p. 107

Quote:
I have seen the quote about the Noldor being around 7ft, but the notes says to look into the further writings in the Unfinished Tales. The Unfinished Tales has them at about 6,4.

Unfinished Tales describes Galadriel at 6 foot 4, but not the average Noldo that I'm aware of.

Quote:
The average Noldor is not one from the royal houses and nothing like the tallest.

My first quote is about Eldarin Men -- that's a general description, especially given that it notes Eldarin Kings and leaders were taller. The second quote refers to the normal height of the Eldar, especially the Noldor, at seven feet.

Quote:
Aragorn was the tallest of the company, but Boromir, little less in height was broader and heavier in build.
I don't see that as a problem. Aragorn was probably 'at least' 6 foot 6 according to JRRT.

Quote:
Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).'

So, the same source as the one about Eldarin men.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #35
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Hammond and Scull published this information in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings.
I don't doubt that they come from the book, but wondering where did Tolkien write this. Is there any note in the book from where they got the reference.
Quote:
Unfinished Tales describes Galadriel at 6 foot 4, but not the average Noldo that I'm aware of.
This is true, I was getting ahead of myself there and it was my mistake. I was cross referencing with Galadriel's title as Nerwen 'man-maiden', which implies she was the height of male Noldor's but there is no statement saying she was the average height for the Noldor, just one of their best athletes.

However, we do know Celeborn was tall for a Teleri elf. His name seems to have meant 'silver-tall'. Since he is 6'4 can assume the majority of the Sindar/Teleri were around 6ft. This fits in as I said with Legolas being shorter than Boromir.
Quote:
My first quote is about Eldarin Men -- that's a general description, especially given that it notes Eldarin Kings and leaders were taller. The second quote refers to the normal height of the Eldar, especially the Noldor, at seven feet.
I have seen the second quote and it comes from Dwarves and Men, but it cannot be made to work with the text.

If Celeborn a tall and royal Sindar was around 6'4 then how could the average height for the Eldar be 7ft? The same applies for Legolas, who was of high Sindarin origin, but is shorter than Boromir.

Quote:
I don't see that as a problem. Aragorn was probably 'at least' 6 foot 6 according to JRRT.
Yes, but Boromir is around 6'4 and taller than Legolas too. Boromir is also around the same height as Celeborn, who was tall for the Sindar. So again this indicates they must have been shorter than 7ft and closer to maybe 6ft.
Quote:
So, the same source as the one about Eldarin men.
It would be nice if he indicated precisely where he got the quote from. I will have a look to see if there is anything else.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I don't doubt that they come from the book, but wondering where did Tolkien write this. Is there any note in the book from where they got the reference.
Tolkien wrote these descriptions in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes. The full contents haven't been published yet, but some of it appears in Unfinished Tales and The History Of The Hobbit, along with Hammond and Scull's book.

This source was not much described in Unfinished Tales for example, because until relatively recently Pauline Baynes was still alive, and Tolkien's comments were inspired by his seeming dislike of part of her illustration.

Quote:
However, we do know Celeborn was tall for a Teleri elf. His name seems to have meant 'silver-tall'. Since he is 6'4 can assume the majority of the Sindar/Teleri were around 6ft. This fits in as I said with Legolas being shorter than Boromir.

I don't think we have to drop all the way down to 6 feet. Another late note (published in Unfinished Tales), states that the 'Teleri were in general somewhat less in build and stature than the Noldor.'

Quote:
I have seen the second quote and it comes from Dwarves and Men, but it cannot be made to work with the text.

If Celeborn a tall and royal Sindar was around 6'4 then how could the average height for the Eldar be 7ft? The same applies for Legolas, who was of high Sindarin origin, but is shorter than Boromir.
I would say that if Tolkien desired the Eldar to be normally around seven feet tall (if this was the later text compared to the 'PB description' that is), he probably would have written more specific descriptions of characters to fall in line with that.

Quote:
Yes, but Boromir is around 6'4 and taller than Legolas too. Boromir is also around the same height as Celeborn, who was tall for the Sindar. So again this indicates they must have been shorter than 7ft and closer to maybe 6ft.
Tolkien was not bound to make Galadriel 6 foot 4 for example, and I agree, if Celeborn was of like height with her he would be too short if ODAM was in play. Technically Tolkien had only published that the Lady was no less tall than the Lord. But somewhat less [for the Teleri] could be 6 foot 2 or 3 compared to 6 foot 6 and taller, with Celeborn still taller than the average Teler but shorter than the average Noldo.

And JRRT published that Aragorn was the tallest of the Fellowship, as already noted (and something later about the Sea-kings of old as well). The description of Boromir might arguably imply that he was taller than all others in the Company excepting Aragorn, but I'm not sure this is necessarily certain...

... if I recall correctly the context is about ploughing through snow, which is why Boromir's broader build is noted too, but Legolas is not concerned here in any case, as he can run on top of the snow.

Tolkien noted that Legolas was as tall as a young tree

Last edited by Galin; 01-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Tolkien wrote these descriptions in reaction to an illustration by Pauline Baynes. The full contents haven't been published yet, but some of it appears in Unfinished Tales and The History Of The Hobbit, along with Hammond and Scull's book.

This source was not much described in Unfinished Tales for example, because until relatively recently Pauline Baynes was still alive, and Tolkien's comments were inspired by his seeming dislike of part of her illustration.
Thanks for that.
Quote:
I don't think we have to drop all the way down to 6 feet. Another late note (published in Unfinished Tales), states that the 'Teleri were in general somewhat less in build and stature than the Noldor.'
That's the same note where he says that Celeborn was tall for a Teleri and gives the meaning of his name. This is from a very late account of Galdriel/Celeborn's history.

Somewhat less in build is ambiguous, considering a little less in height for Boromir is aroudn 2 inches.

What we can be certain of is even a very tall Telerian Prince is only about the same height as the tallest of the Noldor women. This does indicate quite more than a couple of inches difference.
Quote:
I would say that if Tolkien desired the Eldar to be normally around seven feet tall (if this was the later text compared to the 'PB description' that is), he probably would have written more specific descriptions of characters to fall in line with that.
This is true, nothing was put in print yet, but all the sources seem to have been written at the same time and the account in the Unfinished Tales is certainly the most detailed.
Quote:
Tolkien was not bound to make Galadriel 6 foot 4 for example, and I agree, if Celeborn was of like height with her he would be too short if ODAM was in play. Technically Tolkien had only published that the Lady was no less tall than the Lord. But somewhat less [for the Teleri] could be 6 foot 2 or 3 compared to 6 foot 6 and taller, with Celeborn still taller than the average Teler but shorter than the average Noldo.
This is possible, there is no reason to go as low as 6ft, but is being just a couple of inches taller than the norm enough to be given the name praising your height?
I would say no.

As you said he could easily change Galadriel's height, but it seems the more detailed account.
Quote:
And JRRT published that Aragorn was the tallest of the Fellowship, as already noted (and something later about the Sea-kings of old as well). The description of Boromir might arguably imply that he was taller than all others in the Company excepting Aragorn, but I'm not sure this is necessarily certain...

... if I recall correctly the context is about ploughing through snow, which is why Boromir's broader build is noted too, but Legolas is not concerned here in any case, as he can run on top of the snow.

Tolkien noted that Legolas was as tall as a young tree
Yes and he mentioned how Legolas was immensely strong too.

It's true that the particular passage strongly indicates, even very strongly indicates that Boromir was the second tallest, but it does not confirm this fact for certain.

Though one thing it does confirm is Aragorn and Boromir were stronger. Legolas appears to agree with him on this matter too, either that or he is being very lazy.

All this does confirm is that even after their waining the Numenoreans were stronger than the Sindar, but the Sindar as a whole are weaker than the Noldor.

However, the House of Hador are stronger than the Noldor Princes.

EDIT

Off topic, but it is interesting that Christopher Tolkien speculates that Galadriel and Celeborn may have been present when Feanor's sons sacked Doriath and actually played a part in helping Elwing escape. If this is the case then I wonder what Galadriel's feelings on Feanor was then.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
What we can be certain of is even a very tall Telerian Prince is only about the same height as the tallest of the Noldor women. This does indicate quite more than a couple of inches difference.
But maybe there is room in: the Lady no less tall than the Lord. The general meaning could be that even 'Silver-tall' does not tower over Nerwende Artanis, because she herself is the tallest of Elf women. They are both tall, if not exactly the same height; although I suppose one could also press 'no less' to mean exactly that.

If there is some room we might have an average of 6:2 compared to a Celeborn standing at 6:5 or even 6:6... and so the Teler with the 'tall name' could be as much as four inches taller than the average Teler, if only equal to the average Noldo.

The reason I don't go to 6 feet is because 'somewhat less' for the Teleri would then be a half foot less that the average Elda of 6:6, which seems too much to me for somewhat less, and way too much for the 7 foot idea.

Even 6:2 seems notably less than 6:6 (plus taller for Kings and leaders) to me, but if Celeborn Silver-tall is 6:4 then we have to decrease the average Teler even more.

Quote:
This is possible, there is no reason to go as low as 6ft, but is being just a couple of inches taller than the norm enough to be given the name praising your height? I would say no.
Well, his relative tallness would still be distinguishing (like his silver hair), so maybe... yes

Just had a thought. Isn't the tallest of all Eru's children, Elwe, a Teler? An exception I guess.

Last edited by Galin; 01-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #39
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Against the ravages of the common cold, I would choose the Noldor every time.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I wonder if the Numenoreans were particularly afflicted by Man-flu..