The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2002, 06:21 AM   #41
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, Rayne, your friend is having you on. Aragorn met and fell in love with Arwen years before the story started. Eowyn does fall in love with Aragorn, but he doesn't do anything to encourage her.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:28 AM   #42
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rayne:<BR><STRONG>First of all, I hated Liv Tyler as Arwen. Actually, I think I just hate Live Tyler in general. and I was really looking forward to seeing Glorfindel (SP?) and then she shows up glowing like a freakin' angel that saves the day? Yuck!<P>this is just something I heard from a friend and it could just be a horrible lie to ruin the book for me but she was extremely angry at the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing because apparently Aragorn is promised to another woman somewhere else. and the way he keeps making eyes at Eowyn in the second book...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The story of Arwen and Aragorn is in appendix A of The Return of the King.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:34 PM   #43
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hi all… I’m a newbie here and I’ve been lurking for a few days to get the lay of the land. This whole Arewn thread has been interesting. I understand PJ’s expansion of her role in the first movie, (although the purist in me hates it), and I’m not looking forward to her being in the second movie. I suppose the temptation to have some “tension” between Arwen, Aragorn, and Eowyn was just too much to resist. Too bad. I am wondering if anyone has seen the pic of Arwen floating around the net that depicts her death? In fact, I think the title of the pic is ”The death of Arwen”. It’s an overhead shot of her lying back on a couch. I suppose it’s at Cerin Amroth, but there’s no way to know for sure. Does anyone know anything about this? This brings up a lot of questions as to how PJ plans to wrap up the trilogy. Will he include the scouring of the Shire, the Grey Havens, and of course the death of Aragorn and Arwen is not described in the trilogy. Hmmmm?
Old 01-27-2002, 12:08 AM   #44
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Don't have an answer to the rumour regarding Arwen's death, but in the meantime: Geez guys, some of you appear to be just a bit chilly! Any good myth needs a love story, whether it is subtle (like in the books) or developed (like in the movies). Truth is, the movies need a little bit of that extra oomph and contrast between bleak scenes of horror, battle, and death and scenes of beauty. And what's more beautiful than love? Well, maybe a million bucks in cash (anyone who wants to donate to Lush's "Rising-Gas-Prices Fund" may contact me privately) <BR>I have to admit, having now read the Fellowship of the Ring, I would have loved to see Glorfindel. "An Elf-lord revealed in his wrath" would have been a sight indeed! Alas, I am already satisfied with the fine portrayals of other men & elves to complain. <BR>And as a general side-note, I don't think the sight of a woman brandishing a sword is unattractive or inappropriate. Having been born in Kiev, I have come to appreciate the art of self-defense greatly (though back home, a machine gun is a bit more useful than a sword). I just wish I could overcome my laziness (America has made me a slacker) and learn in. Just because men are blessed with testosterone and rippling muscle doesn't mean they should get all the action, all the time.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:45 AM   #45
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of the reasons I love tLotR is that it hardly has any romance in it, just tiny bits with Faramir, Eowyn, Aragorn and Arwen. Such a wonderful escape from modern culture where you can't turn on the television without seeing/hearing something romantic.