The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2002, 09:11 AM   #1
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Question Characters/Cast

i was just wondering what everyone thought of the portrayal of the characters in the movie. did they look how you imagined? were the actors suited to the roles they were given? who was your most/least favourite?

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Tirinor
Haunting Spirit

Tirinor has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Boromir was the best. Elrond was the worst. Also the extra elves in lothlorien were terrible. I also wasn't too impressed with Frodo, but I suspect my opinion will improve with the second movie. Gimli and Legolas were great, although Legolas should have been taller and broader. It is a shame that Boromir had to bite it, he gave the best performance by far.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Son of Gondor
Pile O'Bones

Son of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I also was surprised by how Elrond was portrayed. I could hardly keep from whispering something about Mr. Anderson to my friend beside me. We both agreed that we thought he looked different. I always thought he was large and fatter (If elves can get fat) But I thought he did a good job as Elrond. Hugo won me over. And I just found it neat to see him in the thousands of years old battle and then see him in Rivendell, looking the same.<BR>The role that I thought was not well done was Galariel. I found myself wishing both times I've seen it that the Company should just start sailing their boats down the river already. Maybe that was how the book made her, but she was too weird and talked in that odd voice. It made her more eiree than beautiful.<BR>Everyone else I thought was well cast. But why do you think they never showed a good picture of Gollum?
Old 01-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favourite character in the movie was definitely boromir - he got some good lines and on the whole was an important part of the story. i'm glad they showed him sort of redeeming himself before dying. it left the movie finished off nicely.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
FilmHobbit

Sting

Elrond was a little to vulcanish, I admit. I don't think it was terrible, but it would have been nice to see a little more actual emotion from the character.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:33 PM   #6
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

Boromir was awesome. His mannerisms, his way of speaking and moving, exactly how i pictured it. I really thought everyone did a good job though even if they didn't look as i pictured them (especially the hobbits, too thin! get those hobbits some food!) but i still thought that they were completely convincing as hobbits. Also, Ian Holm was completely and utterly Bilbo IMO.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 07:44 PM   #7
Airetelluma
Pile O'Bones

Airetelluma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Airetelluma
Sting

Legolas was absolutely incredible; he was just as I had poictured him in my head all along. Gimli was great; John Rhys-Davies always does a nice job. I thought that the hobbits were quite as Tolkien wrote them, although, as Evil Anya pointed out, they were a bit too skinny. Boromir, as I hardly need to reiterate with all of the praise that he's getting here, was amazing. Sean Bean has really outdone himself this time. Gandalf was exactly as I'd pictured him, and the scene at the bridge of Khazad-Dum ("You shall not pass!") was beyond my wildest expectations. Elrond was really the only disapointment; I pictured him being a little more kind and forgiving. As someone pointed out, he does seem to have a bit of green Vulcan blood to go along with those pointy ears. ^_^ All in all, though, the people in charge of casting for the movie deserve some medals and awards, and having their names exalted on high.
And runes of power upon the door.
The light of sun and star and moon
In shining lamps of crystal hewn
Undimmed by cloud or shade of night
There shone forever fair and bright.
Airetelluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:03 AM   #8
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The characters could not have been cast better. I was weary that Elijah Wood would not have been able to portray a hobbit, but he captured the essence of Frodo and created the character. <P>Sam: Sean Astin did an amazing job. The devotion and love he has for his master Frodo comes out very clearly even within the first few scenes.<P>Pippin and Merry: definately perfect. I love Billy Boyd's accent. <P>Gandalf: Sir Ian McKellen was amazing. He was exactly how I imagined Gandalf.<P>Arwen: Liv Taylor plays her character very strongly and I like that, strong but graceful and wise. Even though I do not support the decision of putting the Arwen-Aragon lovestory into the movie, she played very well.<P>Aragon: Viggo Mortensen (sp?) was cast only a few weeks before the shooting was started. It showed in a few scenes of the movie, but yet he suited Strider very well.<P>Boromir: I would have thought Boromir to be a bit more 'cleaned up' so to speak, less raggedy. But Sean Bean was amazing, his character was so strong, many a times he played his fellow actors against the wall.<P>Gimli: perfect, i cannot say more<P>Legolas: orlando bloom definately captured the essence of elf inside him.<P>Saruman: I could not have picked a better one for this role. Christopher Lee's voice is simply beautiful<P>Elrond: I would have never thought that Agent Smith (The Matrix) would be able to pull off a believable Elrond, but he indeed did. I was amazed.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:25 AM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As soon as my boyfriend (non-Tolkienite) saw Sean Bean he whispered "that guy's gonna buy it. He's died in everything I've seen him in." I stifled a laugh. <P>Interestingly, when I asked him this question, he said his favorites were Boromir.. and Elrond. I thought those the two most difficult roles to play (unless they included Tom Bombadil).. that impressed me. They pulled it off. <BR>Elrond was the one most different from what I imagined. But he brought to the role a sense of reality, you really felt you met someone, a force to be reckoned with, but a real person. Elrond is so elusive in the LotR. <P>Oh I so loved Ian Holmes' Bilbo. Elijah Wood glowed in every scene, what screen charisma - perfect. Ian McKellen played Gandalf with warmth and a twinkle in his eye, such that if Gandalf knocked on my door with his staff I'd immediately invite him in for tea. Irrisistable.<P>But the best in my opinion, was Sean Astin. <P>He was not an actor playing Sam. He <B>was</B> Sam.<p>[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 01-03-2002, 02:31 AM   #10
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Oh, i forgot to mention Chistopher Lee--outstanding! His voice is so beautiful, it's just as they described in the book. Once he starts talking it's just "yes, whatever you say" and I loved when he was chanting on top of Orthanc, his voice is a spell.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #11
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought everyone did a great job. Favorites were Elrond, Legolas, Gandalf, and Saruman.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM   #12
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll add my praise to all the rest here. I thought Sean Bean did a brilliant job. Most characters looked just how I imagined them. I wasn't at all keen on Elrond the first time, but I saw the movie again last night and he had improved a lot for me The Nazgul were terrifying. The only ones that didn't look right for me were the elves in Lothlorien - far too camp. <BR>I think my absolute favourite was Ian Holm
Old 01-03-2002, 06:29 PM   #13
FilmHobbit

Sting

I almost started jumping up and down when I saw Legolas walking on top of the snow while all the others trudged through it!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:12 AM   #14
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just loved the way he goes lightstepping up along side them without making a track. And when they are going down those stairs in Moria and he jumps from one set of stairs down onto the next. <P>By the way FilmHobbit, nice description of your admin forum at your site! <p>[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:35 AM   #15
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I wish they had shown the scene in Lothlorien when Legolas walks across the river on the rope. I always thought that would be wicked awesome to see. Ah well, perhaps it'll be in extra scenes on the DVD.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:01 AM   #16
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Ring

Since I hadn't read the books before seeing the movie (well, I had, but it was 9 years ago and I was too young to appreciate them, so never read them again until now) I can't compare what the cast were like compared to my imagination. I did think they were all fantastic though. My favourite was Legolas, he's gorgeous, but they all did a brilliant job.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:02 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Legolas-gorgeous, swift, light-footed, and very elven in his essence. Now that I am deep into the book, I think that he was one of the toughest characters to portray without being campy. Bloom avoided that nicely. <BR>My other favorite (besides Boromir, of whom much has been said-I think this was Sean Bean's best acting to date!)?-Gandalf! Ian McKellen was both kindly and stern, good-natured and strong-willed, humorous and grave. What an amazing, subtle, yet entirely convincing actor!
Old 01-04-2002, 03:17 PM   #18
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I personally think Elijiah Wood did an incredible job. The way his voice portrayed his every thought and passion really made me think. (that aside from being very good looking...)<BR>Sean Bean also did a great job, especially near the end. It was so sad, especially when Aragorn came on the scene.<BR>Viggo, though he really didn't have a lot of long lines (not that I can recall anyway) still did a wonderful job in the way he portrayed Aragorn.<BR>Orlando Bloom portrayed Legolas like everything I had thought he'd be. Swift and keen.<BR>The hobbits were amazing too. I loved Pippin's (or Merry's, I really couldn't tell them apart) accent, it made him sound so funny! The only thing I had with Sam, though, in the books I though he was portrayed like some blundering fool at parts (though sometimes he was very smart) and in the movie he was rather intellegent most of the time.<P>(I'll come back later)

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 07:09 PM   #19
Radagast

Pipe

Be careful what you wish for elven maiden! Have you seen Sam in the 1978 Bakshi cartoon. I could write a 2000 word essay on why he was terrible, but the main reason is that he waas ALWAYS a blundering fool.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #20
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Ever since I saw Elijah as Frodo I've always liked his face. And directly after his first line I thought to myself-Elijah is Frodo- You don't have to agree with me that's just what I think. Sean Bean gave me a better perspective on his charicter,Boromir, who before the movie I mistrusted. But know I know Boromir was not all bad. I don't recall Pipin and Merry being so stupid in the book.Sure they'd mess up every once and awile but they had some inteligence. But I'm not complaining because some laughter was just what the movie needed. If M and P hadn't been there the Movie would have been sad and intence all the time. Thumbs up to Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf,Aragorn,and Bilbo. Galadriel was weird. And she seemed to be taunting Frodo when he asks what he'll see in the mirror.Sam like Frodo was totally acurate. I wish he had had more lines. I can't wait to see Gollum next year. I also want to see Treebeard and Shelob.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:53 PM   #21
MenRWeak
Pile O'Bones

MenRWeak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the animated version, I was not fond of Boromir at all(other than his determination to fight on despite the many arrows). In the current film, rife with acting talent, Sean Bean's Boromir stands out from the very beginning. He wore his mind and emotions on his sleeve and played the flawed hero perfectly.

You can prove your point without being immature and a snit. - EOL
MenRWeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:28 PM   #22
River Jordan
Animated Skeleton

River Jordan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think anytime you have a story that starts out as a book, and especially as in LotR, there is a large reading audience, you have so many different interpretations of what the characters and places look like, that when you translate them to the screen with actual people and places, there will always be some who will dislike the result. Even though some of the characters were portrayed differently than I may have visualized in the books, I think all of the actors did a great job of being their characters, do you not? I am looking forward to the next two movies!! My favourite characters were probably (in the movie) Frodo (always liked Elijah Wood, and felt he did good as a Hobbit!) and also Samwise.<P>Your friendly neighbourhood elf, *River*

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes." Frodo Baggins

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/YMF
River Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:34 PM   #23
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

I have to say, I think that PJ did a wonderful casting job! I thought Gandalf was right on the mark! Just as I had imagined! Same with Merry and Pippin, but as for Sam, I imagined him a little taller and more lean. The portrayal of Sauron was probably my least favorite. I thought he looked like a villain that would be showed in "Power Rangers." Everything other than that I think was just wonderful!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:35 PM   #24
Mayla Took
Wight

Thumbs up

I have to say, I think that PJ did a wonderful casting job! I thought Gandalf was right on the mark! Just as I had imagined! Same with Merry and Pippin, but as for Sam, I imagined him a little taller and more lean. The portrayal of Sauron was probably my least favorite. I thought he looked like a villain that would be showed in "Power Rangers." Everything other than that I think was just wonderful!!

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 01-30-2002, 01:39 PM   #25
Mayla Took
Wight

Ring

I agree about Elrond. That is not how I pictured him AT ALL. He seemed almost evil to me! Ha ha, and that is not how Tolkien would have wanted it, I'm sure.<BR>P.S.<BR>Sorry about the double posts, I didn't mean to!

Old 01-30-2002, 03:56 PM   #26
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Enkanowen:<BR><STRONG>The characters could not have been cast better. I was weary that Elijah Wood would not have been able to portray a hobbit, but he captured the essence of Frodo and created the character. <P>Sam: Sean Astin did an amazing job. The devotion and love he has for his master Frodo comes out very clearly even within the first few scenes.<P>Pippin and Merry: definately perfect. I love Billy Boyd's accent. <P>Gandalf: Sir Ian McKellen was amazing. He was exactly how I imagined Gandalf.<P>Arwen: Liv Taylor plays her character very strongly and I like that, strong but graceful and wise. Even though I do not support the decision of putting the Arwen-Aragon lovestory into the movie, she played very well.<P>Aragon: Viggo Mortensen (sp?) was cast only a few weeks before the shooting was started. It showed in a few scenes of the movie, but yet he suited Strider very well.<P>Boromir: I would have thought Boromir to be a bit more 'cleaned up' so to speak, less raggedy. But Sean Bean was amazing, his character was so strong, many a times he played his fellow actors against the wall.<P>Gimli: perfect, i cannot say more<P>Legolas: orlando bloom definately captured the essence of elf inside him.<P>Saruman: I could not have picked a better one for this role. Christopher Lee's voice is simply beautiful<P>Elrond: I would have never thought that Agent Smith (The Matrix) would be able to pull off a believable Elrond, but he indeed did. I was amazed.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree with you...if they had even one character played by a different person, it wouldn't have the same magic...every little accent and expression was a wonder...i cannot wait for the next film, and apart from the fact we meet new folk...more classic acting from our wonderful fellowship
Old 02-05-2002, 12:01 AM   #27
Ara'rial
Pile O'Bones

Ara'rial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ara'rial
Sting

I think all of the actors did a very good job. You have to admit that acting for these great and wonderful characters ust have been no easy task. But Orlando Bloom as Legolas, I think, was one of the best. I kind of pictured Legolas to be taller but oh well. Gandalf was the best though. Gandalf is cool.
And back again...
Ara'rial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:40 PM   #28
Mrs. Greenleaf

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Son of Gondor:<BR><STRONG>I also was surprised by how Elrond was portrayed. I could hardly keep from whispering something about Mr. Anderson to my friend beside me. We both agreed that we thought he looked different. I always thought he was large and fatter (If elves can get fat) But I thought he did a good job as Elrond. Hugo won me over. And I just found it neat to see him in the thousands of years old battle and then see him in Rivendell, looking the same.<BR>The role that I thought was not well done was Galariel. I found myself wishing both times I've seen it that the Company should just start sailing their boats down the river already. Maybe that was how the book made her, but she was too weird and talked in that odd voice. It made her more eiree than beautiful.<BR>Everyone else I thought was well cast. But why do you think they never showed a good picture of Gollum?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> I suppose that they did not show Gollum because they wanted to pull you in for you to see the next movie. (Legoles is hot)
Old 02-07-2002, 01:17 AM   #29
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooooh, where do I start?<P>Frodo: OK, they went with a younger Frodo. (Of course, the book does say that the Ring kept him looking like "...a Hobbit just out of his tweens".) But Elijah Woods' voice and delivery suited Frodo perfectly.<P>Gimli, Bilbo, Gandalf, Sauraman: Perfect. 'Nuff said. What CAN'T these British, titled actors do??<P>Sam: Sean Astin really loved his role, you can tell. I was also happy that they toned down the Edwardian "Master-Faithful Servant" relationship in the film. Sam wasn't portrayed as such an "Uncle Hobbit".<P>Aragorn and Boromir: Oddly, I've never had a picture in my "mind's eye" of these two characters. But Viggo and Sean have corrected that. Not so much in looks, but delivery. <P>Legolas: Pretty much what I expected an Elf to look like. Quite a shock to see the "real" Orlando Bloom, though. He cleans up good! ("Make-Up! Can we get a little more putty in the piercing holes, please!")<P>Arwen and Galadriel - Typical archtype female "good" roles. Most of Tolkien's females aren't well rounded, and were hard to flesh out in the film (Shield Maiden comments aside.) I did love Kate Blanchett's delivery when she resisted the offer of the ring, though. She really portrayed that well.<P>Elrond - Very surprising image of an Elf. I always pictured them as more polished and -well - prettier. A gritty, grim, lined Elf was cool! Though me and my friend both agreed he bore an uncanny resemblance to Phil Alvin of the Blasters.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:10 AM   #30
yolanda00

Sting

I so think that Orlando Bloom (Legolas) was perfect. <BR>The hobbits where not as I imagined them but they were well done if you thinkof them like that. I wish that they had not left out certain things like Tom Bombadril etc.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:03 AM   #31
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf and Saruman were pretty much like I had imagined... Legolas was really good too... nearly perfect... Hobbits were OK...
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #32
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well…First let me preface this by saying that I loved the movie, and we all know that no one on this planet could have taken a story that millions of people have been visualizing in their heads for so long, and pleased them all. However, I think P.J. has done a wonderful, and respectful job. I say respectful because I think that most fans (myself included) were very fearful that this movie would get “Hollywoodized”, and that at some point in the movie the director would let the audience know that he wasn’t taking it seriously and that they shouldn’t either. I’m relieved that P.J. didn’t do that, <BR>(although the “No one tosses a Dwarf” line came too close for comfort). <BR> <BR>That said, I will admit that some of the characters didn’t quite match the ones I’ve been carrying around in my head since the 70’s.<P>Gandalf…Great match. No complaints.<P>Elrond… Sorry, couldn’t get Agent Smith out of my mind. MY Elrond was more regal, and wasn’t quite so testy.<P>Aragorn…I always saw him as a 40ish Sean Connery, very Kingly in bearing. Men would be drawn to him. I think that Sean Bean has more of this quality than Viggo, and I felt that in the movie, the Boromir character sort of “overshadows” Aragorn. If you take my meaning. He came off as much more powerful, (although I understand that Aragorn will grow in stature as the tale progresses). I’m just saying that in all the years that Aragorn wandered the land, he drew men to him as a natural leader does. I don’t see this quality in Viggo, but I do in Sean Bean. I almost wish PJ had cast them in reverse. <P>Gimli….Only one small complaint, JRDs accent is unmistakable and when I would hear it I would think of the other movies he has been in like Raiders, and it was distracting.<P>Boromir…See Aragorn!<P>Legolas…Too short. Otherwise wonderful.<P>Galadriel…Too cold. I see her as a guiding soul. Warmer, more accommodating except to those with evil in their hearts. To those she would seem intimidating, someone to be feared.<P>The Hobbits…Wonderful all around. I do hope that Merry and Pippin become more serious, as they do in the books, and tone down the comic relief just a teensy bit.<P>See…I told you I loved the movie.