The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
Popularity of the Books

This is my first new topic so bare with me.

Why do you think that Tolkien's works are still so popular? I know they are wonderful books and Tolkien was a master writer and philologist, but why does his books remain so popular?

Do you think that other great authors' works were as popular 50 years after they wrote them? It's just that I think Tolkien was a brilliant writer and I think a hundred years from now he will be compared to the other great writers of history.

I've probably opened up a can of worms by asking this but oh, well. I like controversy.

I would also like to say that I know alot of Tolkien fans hated the movies but if it wasn't for them I wouldn't even have known about the books. So I'm very thankful for the movies.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think you've already answered your question yourself:
Quote:
they are wonderful books and Tolkien was a master writer
Many people agree with this statement, so they keep on reading the books and point them out to friends, so those are also going to read them. Result: JRRT's works are still popular.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
I think the complexity of Tolkien's work is a major factor. For every person who reads LotR once and says, "yeah, that's nice", there's another who reads it every year, including all the appendices, and studies Tolkien further in terms of The Silmarillion, HoME, various commentaries, the 'Downs...
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
To me Tolkien's books are also a way to run away to a completely different place...I guess I'm an escapist in that sence, if you know what I mean

One thing I find very interesting is that LotR is full of signs of the history of M-E. The more and more one explores things only mentioned in LotR by reading the Sil and UT, for example, the better the signs are shaped to complete emotional tales!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
the dancing spawn of the Great Spider is absolutely right.
Fact is, for every sentence containing a comment about something,there are three others delving deeper in this subject.
LotR breathes the deep history it's the climax of and makes it evident there still is a lot more to discover. It's like Saruman's study of the Rings: It infects the reader with it's power.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:42 PM   #6
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

The Mushroom has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I think that the complexity is a major draw. His beautiful writing style is too. It's also just a great story.
The Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
In my opinion, one of the reasons why Tolkiens works continue to grow in popularity is that he didn't just write amazing books, he used them to create a whole world. And, like dancing spawn said, I think people need that sometimes; another world to run into.. We need to believe, if only for a second, in elves and hobbits and things like that Or, atleast I do.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Missy Evenstar

I think the reason his books are so poplular is because they are so well written. And then the movies were made. And that got people interested in wanting to know just where the movies came from so they went and got the books and read them. I read them all before I ever saw any of the movies. By then Fellowship and Two Towers were already out on DVD but that's okay. I still enjoyed them. Very much. And of course I've seen ROTK. But nothing compares to Tolkiens work. It's just amazing. His character develop is like nothing else I've ever read before or since. Yeah sometime he got a little long winded with descriptions but no one else could or will ever be able to write like he did. He was a true genious. The day he died was a very sad day indeed. The world lost a great man and a great author.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
haltred
Pile O'Bones

haltred has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Tolkiens work stand the test of time and give that they are under the 75 year mark one could say wait and see if they last. I would say accept them as having lasted. And why ? Well they are great adventure stories , action stories. BUT also stories that work on the level of the struggle between good and evil. They are a world both alike and different from our own. Yet if one reads history, especially that of the last 75 years , starting from when Tolkien wrote "THE HOBBITT" one sees not 1 for 1 paralells but similarities between Middle earth and this earth. The movies make it clearer, the flight seen to Helms Deep remind one of France 1940 or Saigon 1975 . The movie has Gandalf statin " the battle for Helms Deep is over, the battle for Middle Earth has just begun" Well in June 1940 Churchill used similar phrases after the evacuation of Dunkirk.
But all this undergirds a story that is of truth friendship and loyalty to do what one can and then go beyond it.