The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Gríma Wormtongue (Brad Dourif)*

What do you think of Wormtongue and the actor who plays him?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:43 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gríma was done very good throughout. But there was the one point when he was standing on the balconey with Saruman and a tear fell from his eye. That was so out of character for the movie much less the book that it made me do a double take.<P>Otherwise he was wonderfully disgusting and evil.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dűm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Agree Diamond, he was quite disgusting. His face was PERFECT! Grima Wormtongue, he made me shudder, which is good!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But there was the one point when he was standing on the balconey with Saruman and a tear fell from his eye. That was so out of character for the movie much less the book that it made me do a double take.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Now that was one of my favorite scenes in the movie, Diamond! It summed up exactly what kind of character Wormtongue was. A small, petty, flawed human being who got himself involved in events much too big for him, in order to give himself a modicum of power over people who obviously despised him - probably long before he fell in with Saruman. <P>But he is a human, after all. When Saruman stands gloating that he will destroy all Mankind, that tear represented to me all the regrets, fears, and horror that Wormtongue must have been feeling at that moment. You can almost hear him silently screaming "Oh, what have I done! What have I done!" <P>One of the better moments in the whole film, if you ask me.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:12 AM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I agree. I thought that was a wonderful scene. His voice was fantastic.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #6
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<Reposted from my own thread><P>I noticed a poster on another thread (I believe it was on the general impression thread) mentioning that the character missed something, though s/he wasn't sure what it was.<P>I partially agree - I think I felt he was too obviously 'bad'. I would have liked him to be, 'fairer on the outside & evil on the inside'. On the other hand, that wouldn't have been more like the book than this one is - the 'book-Grima' isn't exactly mr Universe <P>But I couldn't help but wonder why someone hadn't taken up a sword & chopped this guy's head of long ago! It would have been nice to see Eowyn do exactly that.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 03:56 PM   #7
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Birdland:</B><P>Thanks for the explanation of Wormtongue's tear. I honestly could not figure it out. * bows *<P>As for my opinion on the character portrayal, it was just fine by me.<P>Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wormtounge was GREAT!<P>BUT! I'm not buying that explanation of the tear. <BR>Sure it's probably right and all but the process from beeing a total evil, pain in the *** to a sensitive guy with an unfortunant look was too short.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:55 PM   #9
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

OH BIRDIE!<P>I don't need to say anything else because you sidd it all! Grima's tears was my favuorite scene. You could amos't se "Oh no! What have I done?" written on his face! I really felt very sorry for him then. I could almost taste th fear and regret then.<P><BR>(not to mention Brad Dourif is a PHENOMENAL actor!)
Old 12-19-2002, 11:32 PM   #10
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Wormtongue was wonderful. Excellent portrayal by Brad Dourif.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:06 AM   #11
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

I liked the scene when he shed the tear.<P>I wanna know why he did that though. I guess it was probably what Birdland said but could it have also been for Eowyn?<BR>He did like her after all...maybe it had something to do with her...:/<BR>I don't really know, I think Birdland was right but perhaps Wormtonge also felt that Eowyn would be killed.<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Frieda ]
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:11 AM   #12
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now, that I can buy. Much better. never thought of it. It would all be a mix of all theese feelings ofcourse.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:12 AM   #13
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with <B>Birdie</B> about the tear and I really liked that part. <P>Then the fact that Brad Dourif is one of my favourite actors, doesn't hurt.<BR>He was brilliant for the part and I think he handled the character perfectly. So mean. You just gotta love him! <p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-23-2002, 07:01 PM   #14
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I would agree with most here that Brad Dourif gave a very fine performance as Wormtongue--facial variations, nuances of voice in tone, volume, pitch, physical movements not steroptypical but cloying, a hint of intelligence in his manipulation of Theoden, garnering almost pity for his forlorn attraction for Eowyn. His was the most interesting performance, dancing on the edge of evil and deceit, in all of TTT, IMHO.<P>Yet what seemed a detriment to me was the makeup. The pasty white face and stringy hair reminded me of Darth Vader once Luke has unmasked him in <I>Return of the Jedi</I>. Why the physical insignia of Saruman's malevolent control? Because we need a sign of that control removed once Gandalf rids Theoden of his subservience?<P>Bethberry
Old 12-23-2002, 07:39 PM   #15
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the tear was PJ's best 'adaptation' yet. <P>remember that gandalf was wondering who Wormtounge really threw the Palantir at Saruman or G. as he did not think he could decide who he hated more. And in the RotK wormtounge almost takes the Hobbit's up on there offer of temporary sanctuary.<P>He was really a dark grey and egotistical charachter more than a black one and Dourif did well.<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:34 PM   #16
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I thought it was a job well done, and I actually did pity him when he put on a few of those great facial expressions. Oh, and thanks for explaining the tear. I, like Gandalf, couldn't understand it for some reason.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 AM   #17
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked Dourif's voice and overall performance, but I think he looked more like a heavy metal rock star than anyone who would live in Middle Earth. I would have expected someone who had Theoden's ear to have been a bit more attractive and less overtly slimy.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:38 AM   #18
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

lol. Well, he wasn't that ugly and unattractive....just weird I guess. :P<P>Hmm...and I saw a picture of him with a dagger in his hand earlier. I'm guessing that that must be from ROTK.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:14 AM   #19
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

He was fantastic. The tear was great, the interaction with Eowyn was great, everything about him was outstanding. My only problem with him isn't really with him at all, but with PJ. I sort of thought he was rendered superfluous by Saruman's direct "demonic possesion" of Theoden. It really confused someone I was with, who hadn't read the books. Why is he there at all, if Saruman can do that?<P>But he was, IMO, a hugely bright spot in this movie. I liked that PJ chose to portray him as egotistical and self-centered rather than (as I had feared and half-expected) Saruman's evil little brother.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:45 PM   #20
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

His voice really was amazing. It redeemed his greasy appearance. I could believe that he had fooled all of Meduseld with those rich, low cadences. It made one <I>want</I> to believe him. His poetic words to Eowyn ("...like a morning of pale spring still clinging to winter's chill") were enticingly discerning. It was a beautiful performance.<P>About that tear: I was under the impression that it was a tear shed for sheer, stunned amazement, but I like the idea of him being regretful and afraid.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:58 AM   #21
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Grima was great! Everything about him was great. <BR>He was just like I pictured him: creepy, disgusting, evil, but human. I don't remember the tear part, but no matter, I'm going to go see it again and I'm going to watch very closely. lol.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #22
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, thanks for the several different possible explanations about the tear. That really confused me in the movie. I just couldn't figure it out. I think Brad Dourif did a good job playing Grima. I can see how it would be a difficult part to play, but he managed to pull it off. I do wish they could have done something different for his makeup, though. He looked like he was moldy! I just always pictured him more outwardly fair, inwardly rotten kind of thing. But it was ok, i guess. I suppose they had to clarify it for people. but overall, he did great. My friends and i all visibly shuddered whenever he came on screen. Good Job, Brad Dourif!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:48 PM   #23
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
For a freak with no eyebrows he was cool! But realy, Grima was well portrayed.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #24
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was perfect! He was so desgusting! I liked the way that they showed him likeing Eowyn. Even to the tear in Orthanc. He was so gross! It was perfect!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #25
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

kay this might be really late but i *think* i noticed him crying a lot in the movie and he's always got a little snot thing hanging out of his nose!! sorry i know thats really gross and stuff but i want to know why he was crying and boogerin' all the time. eww that is officially the grossest post i have ever made.<P><BR>okay oops yeah he did an awesome job playing Gríma<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 02-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #26
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i havent read every post properly, so i dont know if i need to be corrected (i doubt i do...), but i seem to be the only person in the world who goes to the cinema, watches grima come on screen, and drool all over the place
Old 02-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #27
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Ah ha! I'm Psychic! I had a feeling that it was our dearest Meela who had revived this topic! Thanks Meela! <P>P.S. You aren't the only one that drools.<P><BR> *Gives Lady Bain a really confused and odd look wondering what in the name of the Shire she's insinuating.*<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 02-18-2003, 11:56 AM   #28
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

np <P>im not the only one?? wowee!! fellow freaks!! come forth, fellow freaks!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 01:33 PM   #29
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ack! I must have missed the scene where Wormtongue sheds his tear . . . I was probably lying down trying not to throw up. NOTE TO ALL: Never watch LOTR in the first row of a movie theater.<P>That said, I thought Brad Dourif was excellent- he made Wormtongue so deliciously nasty that just watching him gave me the shudders. I couldn't even understand how Eowyn could let him touch her . . . . *shudder* <p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-18-2003, 03:37 PM   #30
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

if i were in eowyns position, it would be grima trying to get away from me! i wouldnt leave him alone!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:42 PM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I was in Eowyns position, I would take that blade that I have so much talent with and hit Wormtongue over the head with it. <P>(What I am basically saying is that he played his role very wonderfully, he was spooky and weird enough for me)<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #32
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But he is a human, after all. When Saruman stands gloating that he will destroy all Mankind, that tear represented to me all the regrets, fears, and horror that Wormtongue must have been feeling at that moment. You can almost hear him silently screaming "Oh, what have I done! What have I done!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is exactly what my mother said. Almost word-for-word.<P>I enjoyed Brad Dourif's performance, but it sure took me a while to figure out where I'd seen him before (in the X-Files episode "Beyond the Sea"). Grima was actually exactly as I imagined him in the books, which was one of the better things of the movie. My hat goes off to Dourif again.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:20 AM   #33
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i guess i was the only one who um notices that okay never mind then.......<P>but i thought (as i already said) that he was played wonderfully by Brad. <P>and he had an awsome coat to boot.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #34
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Maybe you aren't seeing things. Allergic to Theoden's fur robe perhaps?
Old 02-23-2003, 07:23 PM   #35
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Well today, I got to listen to Mr. Dourif speak, it was very intersting. I found out many things. One of the things that he talked about a lot was how he did not think that TTT was done as well as it could have been, and how he has worries about the next film and how it will turn out. He thought that they had not put a big enough empahsis on the relationship of the Rohan people and the horses. He also said that he actually got bored during TTT. He has not seen ROTK, and during that one scene where Wormtongue falls down the stairs, it was not him. Also he did not read the books before he got the role, and also he was not the first choice, he did the role because the other actor could not do it. He also talked a lot about how even though the films have made a ton of money, many of the actors have not been paid very much for the jobs they did. He looks very similar to his charater, you can see that he played Wormtongue. Very interesting, especially what he had to say about TTT though.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:26 AM   #36
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He also talked a lot about how even though the films have made a ton of money, many of the actors have not been paid very much for the jobs they did. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Are there some sour grapes here?<P>H.C.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #37
mylady

Sting

I also enjoyed Brad Dourif's performance greatly. I have no problem with the tear. I have, however, no fixed interpretation of the tear. I look upon it as a striking reminder that Wormtongue once was an ordinary man, maybe an unsympathetic one, but still a regular guy with a thing for a woman he could never have. Now he suddenly finds himself next to an evil wisard looking over the army that almost certainly will destroy his country, which he has betrayed and left for good. The tear may be of fear, or sorrow, or longing. It is a delicate hint of emotion in an extreme situation that we may think Wormtongue did not quite suspect to arrive so soon or, indeed, at all. <P>I also liked the decision of having Wormtongue speak that paragraph to Éowyn, which was a mixture of Aragorn's thoughts and Gandalf's line from the book. It makes him much more dangerous, as it implies that he all too well knows and understands the characters of those he is playing against. Watch how Éowyn, as if in a trance, stands perfectly still until he touches her. Only then does she break away in disgust. It adds a manipulative side to his character that makes him a more worthy opponent to our heroes. I would have liked to see even more of him, though.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #38
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

White-Hand

Yeah, he talked a lot about how it is hard for him and some of his friends to get work. One of the people asked him how he decides which roles to take, and he said how he gets so few right now that he really never says no to anything.<P>Oh and on the part about the actors not getting payed much, I missed a little bit of his response, but he was talking about the actors maybe getting together to try to get some more from the gross of the films.<BR>(the actors actually got payed way less than what they would have payed if they had not filmed the movies one at a time)<p>[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-18-2003, 02:36 PM   #39
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, March 18th is Brad Dourif's birthday! Brad was born on March 1950 in Huntington, West Virginia. That makes him 53 today! Happy birthday Brad!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:15 AM   #40
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

YAY! A day late and a dollar shot as usual but I'm glad someone besides me remembered it. Ok I'll say it too Hapy Birthday Brad Dourif (Like he's gonna read our silly little forum anyway.)<P> I'm surprised Meela's not here.......