The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #761
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
People who say nice things are hereby assigned to the Shire. It's such a nice feeling, especially when unexpected.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #762
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Cookie dough blizzards with chocolate ice cream. Mmmm...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #763
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The hop festival.

I don't recall the exact origins, but basically it's an excuse for everyone to drink a lot and have a great time. Morris dancers, Punch and Judy, bands and all kinds of stalls. I've been every year since I was born, and I never fail to enjoy it.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #764
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up <---- My birthday definitely got a thumbs-up!

Since birthdays have already been assigned, I'll assign being given flowers for the first time in my life. It's amazing what four orange gerbera daisies from friends can do to brighten up your day!

And I also assign chocolate birthday cake. Yum!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #765
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Having a big swimming pool all to my own.... bliss even though I made myself swim seriously up and down rather than just float and meditate.

Getting your paws on the new book by a favourite author when you actually have time to read it.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #766
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well I'm going to reassign birthdays anyhow, seeing as they're so much fun! Slightly bittersweet this time, knowing it's the last time it will be easy to get all 6 of us in a room at the same time, but still good.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #767
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
A lovely night in (spent on the 'Downs, of course) after a long, hectic weekend of moving and visiting everyone I know, plus lots of work.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #768
Arathul
Pile O'Bones

Arathul has just left Hobbiton.
My hometown of course. small town in rural area. there's too few a populations that everyone know each other. and too far from the big city and industrial area that you can spend hours just walking and breathing fresh clean air. too near to the mountainious view that you can relax your sore eyes after working or heavy readings.
Arathul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #769
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Finally, finally, finally being able to take a breather from life and catch up with things, no matter how late.

It doesn't help, though, that I'm being hounded by the thought that I should be doing something else - something I should really do.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #770
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Success! Finishing a 50,000 word novel in way less than 24 hours. Ah the feeling of pride.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #771
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finishing work for a couple of weeks. Doing those deeply satisfying things like putting on your out of office assistant, doing a handover note, emptying the inbox, putting half a tree's worth of paper covered in esoteric obsolete plans in the recycling bin, and going "see ya!" with a big, smug grin.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #772
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Unexpected pleasures.

Unexpectedly warm September days. A book that came free with a magazine being a good read. And getting rep for an old post that you had put effort into ...not because of the points but for the nice comment.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-10-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #773
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A particular sheen of green

There is a unique sheen of green that, due to a combination of geographical location near the sea, the amount of precipitation, and the latitude resulting in a certain angle of the sun, that can only be found in Ireland, southern England, and (my co-worker tells me) New Zealand (appropriate, eh?). It is a green that is like gloaming only the sun is bright in the sky. I'm put in mind of Hampton Court, along the Thames upriver from London, a year ago, how bright green the lawns and trees were. A pleasure to remember. I assign it to the Shire. It belongs there.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #774
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Photos that allow something to stay fresh in your mind.

Meeting up with someone you lost touch with a year ago, and finding that they're just as nice as you remember them being.

Sunny days.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #775
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Alto and bass flutes. Such a luscious sound, and so much fun to play! (The only downside is that they are NOT lightweight!)

And understanding. That one second when the light bulb goes on and you just get it is a beautiful thing.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #776
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A shift at work slow enough to allow me to meet the needs of my patients.

~ ~

Nice to be able to do that in these mostly hectic days . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 AM   #777
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Finally getting to grips with this e-savings account that has been quietly laughing at my inability to use it for the past few months.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #778
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Sudden moments of academic clarity. Silly Fea, it's not necessary to overload on classes to keep from being bored. Your classes are actually cool this year. Enjoy them. Do recommended readings. Have time to paint. Go paint more murals at the hospital, Fe, you know you loved it. Take the time to write that novel you'd like to finish before you graduate. Take the time to breathe the autumn air.

It changed, you know. Summer ended this week. My friends went outside one morning and sadly realized, but I noticed as it happened. The leaves on that one specific oak at home had been dancing in paint for a few weeks now. The campus trees were behind them, but didn't my friends hear the geese flying at night? The trumpet calls as they found their way with each other? Did they not spot the fading shrubbery? The burning bushes shining brightly? That first chill scented breeze? Didn't they shiver exquisitely on the way to class those first few mornings and realize what it meant? Did the cold distance of the full moon say nothing?

And so I'll leave off with the conassignation of time and mutability. Beautiful, both, if you remember to see it.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #779
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Star Trek marathons!

I make no excuses for my nerdiness.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #780
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Discovering the meaning of life in the middle of Ethics class this afternoon. It was really cool. I took notes.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #781
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign Caerdydd. Or Cardiff, as you guys will know it. I assign the cleanliness, the modern buildings, the lack of traffic. I assign the Welsh language with its unlikely vowels and silly plurals.

I shall also assign Jewish teachers who make up for an inability to teach by giving us lectures on Judaism.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #782
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

The bittersweet realisation that your world is changing around you and while it is scary, it is also so exciting.

Also, my last kung fu lesson as a proper member. I was afraid it wouldn't be all that great and would be disappointing, but we had a great time.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #783
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

That first tingling, expectant, rich, dark, savory sip of coffee after a long day without.

Sales! In one of my favorite stores!

Those bright autumn days that begin in jeans, a tank top, a polo, and a zipped hoodie, and end in basketball shorts and a cami. The ones that start chilly, grey, somewhat bleak, and perfectly characteristic of a blustery Pooh Bear day and melt into the dry scent of changing seasons on warm air. Ooh, awesome.

Good music and poptarts and a night of homework that doesn't seem like homework; Beowulf; James Joyce's Dubliners; Crime and Punishment; a few short essays and quick synopses of both; The Tao of Pooh. Amazing.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #784
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Black forest cake, and how it moves lab instructors to postpone deadlines.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #785
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - with all the hype I thought it might not be that great, but it was very funny.

The smell of enchiladas cooking, mmm.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #786
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Feeling moderately content after two months of being rather down on oneself. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and knowing that things might just turn out well after all

Edit: Woot!! And also making my one-thousandth post on an assignment to the Shire! That's a good omen (I don't keep a close count on my posts, so it wasn't intentional at all)
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #787
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign second hand bookshops!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #788
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I assign second hand bookshops!
Seconded.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #789
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not anywhere near his eleventy-first year, but it's good to see the old man kickin' around at the age of 83 with high spirits and a bum knee but still vigorous and laughing. Folks have been up this week. THAT belongs in the Shire.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 AM   #790
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

The words "very good." When you're not having the best day of your life, even those simple words mean a lot.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #791
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Making friends! Having someone to talk to while you're sitting through some health and safety lecture is absolutely vital if you need to be awake.

Also, being used as an example of what not to do in said health and safety lecture. The picture of our house came up and we all fell about laughing, poor talking man was so confused.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #792
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oxford Botanical Gardens. Very nice indeed, not just for a gardening freak like me, either. They're very different to the Sheffield ones - which are about four times as big and lanscaped with extensive woodlands and a bear pit - and have lots of 'educational' plant displays such as rows of big savoy cabbages and a display of sunflower varieties, some of which were enormous. Then of course there is 'Tolkien's Tree'. Now it might not seem like much to look at, going somewhere just to look at one tree, but its worth it. The tree is huge, very unusual, and seriously impressive. It puts Tolkien's feelings about trees into perspective - he loved them just as Trees, immense, towering organic presences.

But in the Botanical Gardens you now get the added bonus of finding Lyra's 'bench' from the end of The Amber Spyglass. Pullman describes it exactly and its easy to find, and a nice place to sit for a quiet hour smoking and chatting. Take the chance now, as I'm sure once the films have been out you'd have to fight to get a chance to sit there. Oh, and you can also laugh at people struggling to punt on the river behind you.

I'm also sending hunting for conkers to The Shire. We walked round Deadman's Walk at the back of Merton College (very nice path overlooking the rugby fields) and decided to get conkers off a Chestnut tree that was said to have been a favourite with Tolkien. Projecting umbrellas are pretty good for this, and provide more accuracy than a mere stick thrown up into the branches. Just make sure to run away fast when you realise that there are CCTV systems watching you...

I'll also assign sneaking into the private Fellow's Garden at Exeter when someone had left the gate leading into Brasenose Lane open by mistake.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #793
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
The first signs of Spring

The Liquid Ambar's that my Dad and I planted during winter are coming to life. That's got me really chuffed. And the various bulbs I planted and forgot about!

And taking lunch breaks in the warm weather. Makes the daily grind closer to bearable

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 09-22-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #794
Laitoste
Wight

Leaf

Professors who manage to make topics you are committedly apathetic about fascinating.

Being able to properly enjoy a dreary, grey, September day.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #795
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Amazing people who make your bad day better by distracting you from your grumpy self-inflicted caffeine withdrawal with a shared rant about education systems.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #796
Laitoste
Wight

Getting email. Granted, I received about 6-7 from myself (emails I had sent to email lists I'm on), but it's always exciting to open the inbox and see 5 new emails from friends saying that they will, in fact, come to my hobbit party on Friday. In other words, they don't think I'm dumb!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #797
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Learning and then playing poker until 2 in the morning, using Cheerios as betting chips, with a bunch of people you've only just met and having a great time.

Also, Cheerios! Who knew they were so nice?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #798
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Caller ID! Parents calling? What? "No visitors, well-wishers, and/or close relations."
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #799
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Getting a high score in a supposedly killer exam given by a supposed terror prof. For Biology. Which makes me feel, sort of, that I'm really in the right course. Somehow, hearing my classmates tell me that they hate me didn't sound so bad.

Being surprised at the end of an ordinary day by something, something that made me smile for the rest of the night a smile so wide it hurt.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #800
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Rockapella. Those guys are pretty good... or at least the songs my sister's got from them. Kinda make me smile after a stressful day.

Having one of the kids you were volunteering with stop you on the street to say hi. And most importantly, one kid that you wondered at times if he liked you or not. I might have done a better job over there than what I thought after all!!