Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #121
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Welcome back, LA! *hugs*

Gandalf: if you want any of the lyrics to any songs that Menelduliniel and Estelarion would sing, just ask, as you are going to move the game along a bit...I have a bunch stored away (including those to Nallad).

If any of you EVER need song lyrics, for that matter, just ask.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 PM   #122
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

VanimaEdhel:

Yes, please do send me a PM with the lyrics of the first song that Menelduliniel and Estelarion intend to sing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] In fact, how about if you PM me the lyrics to two different songs, so we can brainstorm a bit as to which song would be best to start off with?

The way I envision it, you'll post a song. Hinura can post a song as well. Other members of the company will also want to take actions of their own, and the ghosts will want a chance to respond, so it's best for you to post only one song per round of game play, then wait after your song ... to give everyone here a turn to be a part of the story at so crucial a time.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-19-2002, 05:49 PM   #123
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

TheLadyAerowen - I just noticed you were a fellow Ohioan. Me, also. (though I do not call myself a Buckeye.)

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-19-2002, 07:47 PM   #124
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Is this talk about songs about the contest Belin and I thought up?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:12 PM   #125
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

*Was originally born in Austrailia* But I am now an Ohioian, yes, Birdland. I've also traveled to many different countries, that's why if you knew me, you'd notice I'll actually have different accents from time to time.

When I yell, I sound almost British sometimes. *laughs* But I picked up that accent from my grandparent's who live there. *realises she is rambling* So;

Birdland- what part of Ohio are you from? (*is from Franklin County, Columbus, Ohio*)
Old 12-19-2002, 09:39 PM   #126
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Susan Delgado:

Wow! The song contest that you and Belin thought up ... (Excellent idea btw!) * bows to your ingenuity *

Why, if that ghostly song contest is held at precisely the same time as the travelling company of the living are standing outside the Castle singing ... that could make the plot just that much more intriguing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That would probably mean that Anna and Celumëomaryu would be inside the Castle in close proximity to the prize, rather than rushing to doors or windows to look out and see what all the fuss and ruckus is about outside, I would assume?

Tell you what, I can work this into my Calimiel post to set it up for you two ... and then, you and Belin may feel free to start your contest whenever you like ... no need to wait for the travelling company to come calling, you may start immediately, as you wish.

Will now go work on the Calimiel post.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-19-2002, 10:49 PM   #127
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Birdie stands on her roof and waves to TheLadyAerowen) Over here, in German Village!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:03 AM   #128
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Gandalf, I think I'll wait until Belin returns. She hasn't actually told me where she is at the moment, but I suspect she has locked the door to the Downs (metaphorically speaking, of course); it's finals week and she's extremely busy.
Tomorrow's the last day, though, so I think she'll be back probably Saturday.

Of course, I could be wrong and she's just decided she doesn't like us anymore. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:04 PM   #129
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Done. Check your PMs Gandalf.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:28 PM   #130
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Bethberry:

When the RPG thread opens back up and after I have posted to it in my most recent SAVE post ... will you please change the position of your most recent post to Nardol by saving it to WordPerfect, deleting the post, and then reposting it after mine? Thanks for helping the story flow in a more logical chronological order.

Varda:

After you see my post, you will probably want to delete your most recent post entirely and put up a brand new one to replace it. Thanks for your cooperation.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-20-2002, 02:56 PM   #131
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Of course, Gandalf. I have to leave the house by 5 but will try to keep an eye out for the reopening.

Bethberry

EDIT at 4:13ish: I have just read your post from 2:14, Gandalf. It seems to me to fit well after my 12:49 post, but I don't know what your 12:21 post will be. I have kept my 12:49 post where it is but also made a SAVE should you still want me to move it.

This feels like a game of musical chairs. I even have my a CD playing on my computer. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-20-2002, 03:28 PM   #132
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Bethberry:

Actually, I'm just going to go ahead and delete that other saved post, because of certain logistical things that have now made its timing obsolete.

I'd still prefer it if you would move your post, because to my mind, it would be out of character for Gandalf to go thundering "ENOUGH" over Bethberry's gentle words to Nardol ... as well, I feel your words to him would carry more power coming at the end.

Gandalf the Grey

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM   #133
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf: will you be needing any lyrics from me? I just recently regained my link to my source of Gaelic lyrics, so I can send you some if you want. Also, I was wondering I was wondering if I will nedd to know the same songs as VanimaEdhel later on.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #134
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

tangerine:

Yes, thanks, please send me lyrics from two different songs, if you wish. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm intrigued to see what sort of Gaelic lyrics you've got. As for your needing to know the same songs as VanimaEdhel later on, that's certainly something that you and Vanima can work together and collaborate on if you two would like.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-20-2002, 09:20 PM   #135
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Well, Poppy is certainly daunted by the prospect of taking all this gold into CM, but it'll start to show more later.

Ok, well now I have to sleep.

~Varda
Old 12-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #136
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Bethberry and Varda:

Many thanks for rearranging and rewriting your posts, respectively. * bows * I continue to be impressed by your contributions, as well as everyone else's, to this story-adventure.

All:

While I'd originally planned to fast-forward the company to the Castle for the sake of allowing the ghost characters portrayed by Belin, Birdland, Susan Delgado, and The Fifth to get in on some action, I now am receiving indications from Belin, Birdland, and Susan Delgado that they would like to start some ghostly activity of their own before the arrival of the company.

I'm referring in particular to the singing contest between Anna and Celumëomaryu, and now to the meeting between The Butler and his cronies. (Birdland wants me to write the actual scene with The Butler.) Both of these subplots should get started within the next day or two, to the best of my knowledge.

I hope it's okay with everyone that since the castle ghosts have spent so much time patiently watching and waiting in the background for the rest of us, that those of us in the living company travelling to meet them will now return the same courtesy, and allow the ghosts to introduce a story subplot or two of their own, while we wait a little bit for them to creatively do their own thing the way we have.

NOTE: When I say, "wait" ... what I mean is, living characters are still most welcome to post, it's just that we'll likely want to hold off our arrival at the Castle for just a little bit.

Our patience in this matter will surely be rewarded by an overall plot which is richer and deeper, and that should allow for more meaningful interaction between living and ghostly characters when the two groups come face to face.

All of what I've written above is based on my perception of what the majority of castle ghosts would like to happen. If any of these castle ghosts has an alternative viewpoint or suggestion, please feel welcome to post it or send a PM. I'm quite open to being flexible when it comes to how speedily we reach Castle Maladil, and believe I should give your ghostly opinions more "weight" at this time based on your long "wait". [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Again, living characters are still quite welcome to post, meanwhile. And also, please feel welcome to post in the Discussion thread or send me PMs about any plot suggestions you may have.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:54 AM   #137
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Expected Travel Dates / Time Away from the Computer:

Depart: December 21
Return By: January 2 (perhaps earlier)

Meanwhile, I'll be staying for certain with at least two sets of relatives.

1) One set of relatives has a computer that I can borrow on a time-shared basis. My hours are typically at night, but with holiday visiting, it's hard to plan.

2) When I spend Christmas night (12/25 - 12/26) at my other set of relatives, the unspoken rule is that no one touches the computer. "When thou be a guest in my dwelling, thou shalt visit with me and my kin, and not visit my computer!"

3) If I spend any time at a third relative's house, there's no computer whatsoever.

Thus, computer access will be available, but sporadic.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #138
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I will be gone 12/25 through 1/1 with limited ability to post. Bird and Pio, could you carry my character?

sharon
Old 12-21-2002, 12:23 PM   #139
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm going to be gone too, for travelling choir etc. I'm going to be gone from Dec. 26th to Dec. 31st.

I may be able to post once or twice, but I'm not sure.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Aylwen
Old 12-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #140
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Everyone is leaving me *sob* The only day I won't be here is Christmas day. Though, I wish I could go back to the Florida Keys..
Old 12-21-2002, 12:49 PM   #141
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Sharon - I'll carry Andreth - Email me please about what is going on in the young woman's head. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2002, 04:41 PM   #142
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Quote:
Alearindu tilted her neck back and pulled gently on a chain, pulling out a pendant with a silver chain and base. The base was two slim leaves intertwined, and the jewels on it were of emerald, which matched the colour of Alearindu's eyes and went well with her copper hair. 'Aerowen's looks the same, except her stones are amethyst, which match her eyes and blonde hair, as well.'

Note: I found myself kinda..lost at how to describe that pendant, but yes, it is similar to Arwen's Pendant, if that helps at all. In fact, I think I might have just stole the base to it. *laughs*
Old 12-22-2002, 02:03 PM   #143
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well my good friends, I am going to my *third* viewing of TTT. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] You have to love friends who pay for your tickets to make you come...sometimes *winks* So, I'll most likely be gone the rest of the day. I hope you all have had the privledge of seeing TTT, if you haven't, I demand you see it ASAP. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] See you all later!

~The Lady Aerowen
Old 12-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #144
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

You were in the keys and you didn't stop by and visit? [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:57 AM   #145
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Regarding Andreth's Book:

Please note that I've already rolled dice to determine how many pages exist in the book, as well as which rooms are described on which pages. I have also been putting together room descriptions behind the scenes with some help from all of the Castle Ghosts ... Therefore, if anyone (for example, Nardol or Bethberry) is asked to translate Andreth's book besides Gandalf, I ask the party or parties involved to please check with me through PMs so that you are able to provide appropriate information that does not conflict with mine.

Thanks,

Gandalf the Grey

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-23-2002, 01:24 AM   #146
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Gandalf,

Yes, I agree. I had already mentioned that to Pio when I discussed that with her. I knew you had given me the information about the number of pages and the number of deletions. I'm glad to hear the ghosts are working on the room descriptions.

I thought it would be alright to put out the general description of the volume, since we had already agreed upon that. And I wanted to get it out before the holiday, since I'll be leaving from 12/25-1/1 and Pio will carry my character.

Hope this is alright.

sharon

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:02 AM   #147
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Quote:
You were in the keys and you didn't stop by and visit?
Yes, Mith, over Thanksgiving week. lol I was mostly in West. Was I supposed to visit you? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

TTT is as great as it was the first time. And what really bothered me that time, (I got into a little argument with someone over Estel meaning hope, he said it meant both trust and hope) was that in the movie, Arwen says something like, 'Estelion' for Trust, in the dream scene where she was touching the pendant. So, I go by books, he goes by movies..psh. *laughs* Ah well. I'm back. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 AM   #148
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

sharon: yes, we're on the same wavelength exactly * nods agreement *

All:

Some Important Guidelines to Keep in Mind for Castle Exploration

When your character is in the Castle, you will need to tell me which direction you are going (West, East, North, or South) and I'll tell you

a) what you see as far as doors in each wall

b) what you see / what if anything happens to you as you enter through a door into a new room (providing you can get through the door safely and successfully)

c) objects in the room, appearance of the room (hint: be observant, ask me questions through PMs about what you're seeing)

Of course, I'll describe what you see, including objects in the room. If there are any hidden objects or other secrets to be found, you'll need to look in the right place (and I would suggest carefully) before I can describe them to you.

As always, (repeating for emphasis) asking questions is helpful for making the most of your environment. PMs are best, for that way your character(s) can attempt their own private actions, and not disrupt the flow of the RPG.

I roll dice in RPG room explorations for such things as:

a) wandering monsters (who knows whether all the Castle Ghosts are sufficiently distracted such that they don't notice you, or whether some ghost happens to come upon
you)

b) traps (whether you find any and successfully disarm them or not, or whether you set off a trap and suffer the consequences)

c) whether attempts at lock-picking are successful

d) whether attempts are successful to locate a secret object / panel / etc.

Another Hint: you'll want a light source in the castle at night for safety reasons, but as I've foreshadowed, Gandalf will try to discourage torches (of course your characters can try sneaking them in if they insist). Remember that carrying a light source carries risks as well as advantages.

As well, Castle Ghosts (as portrayed by Belin, Birdland, Susan Delgado, The Fifth, and myself) might come upon you without the need for rolling dice ... HOWEVER, there are some actions that the ghosts may wish to take, for which I will need to roll dice to determine how successful the intended action of the ghost(s) is.

Further guidelines posted as needed.

Gandalf the Grey

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 12-23-2002, 01:50 PM   #149
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

My cable modem is down (have begged the use of my friend's computer for this) - will not be back on line until probably this weekend.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:07 PM   #150
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Since Pio who is my back-up is gone, my character will also be dead in the water till she returns. (I mean that figuratively, not literally. I hope there are no more Orc attacks!)

sharon
Old 12-24-2002, 03:05 AM   #151
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Cross your fingers - by some DOS magic, I am back on line until the next gremlin attacks me!
Old 12-24-2002, 08:32 AM   #152
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Gandalf, do you want the RPG thread closed for a few days until you get back?
Old 12-24-2002, 03:56 PM   #153
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Nardol

Olo has made the overture of friendship to your horse . . . he would be pleased should you allow him to work with him.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:18 AM   #154
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

All: MERRY CHRISTMAS! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mithadan:

Leaving the thread open will be fine. Many thanks for your asking, I very much appreciate all of your assistance. * bows good greetings *

piosenniel:

Glad you're back online!

~~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 12-25-2002, 03:28 PM   #155
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I'm here! Really! Well, I'm back in any case.

All: Merry Christmas!

Gandalf: When you reply to my PM, can you use the one with the lyrics to Nallal (I still have to adjust some technical things), as I can type the song in when Hinura, Menelduliniel, and Estelarion sing it, as we are not as far along and I have not missed as much as I thought I would.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:45 PM   #156
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Sorry I haven't been posting much, I'm a last minute shopper and have been very busy lately. I'll try to post soon, at least before I leave for Michigan.

I got a white Christmas! Actually, snow/sleet..but it was white...kinda. I also wanted to remind you guys that I'll be gone from the 27th to the 31st. Just making sure.

Merry Christmas!
Aylwen
Old 12-26-2002, 09:13 AM   #157
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Happy..Beleated Christmas! *laughs*

I'm back, too. lol After one day..but I'm sure you all missed me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Birdland- I went shopping at City Center Mall on the 24th, and I also decided to drive through German Villiage since I was in the area. There are some pretty nice houses with interesting styles there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2003, 04:03 AM   #158
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

My lyrics are shamelessly plundered (and slightly altered) from Loreena McKennitt's "Courtyard Lullaby," partly in celebration of this news, which is a big deal to anyone who knows why she hasn't had a cd in years. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

So I've finally started the contest, and am awaiting a roll of the dice.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #159
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
...and I also decided to drive through German Villiage since I was in the area. There are some pretty nice houses with interesting styles there.
Areowyn - [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Yes, unfortunately, I couldn't afford "interesting". But I can enjoy the park, and the magnificant Book Loft book store.

Keep up the good writing, folks. And be careful with those "rod" thingees! Happy New Year to you all.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 01-01-2003, 03:21 PM   #160
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Vanima Edhel:

As we've discussed in PMs, I really like the new song you came up with, Celaid Myrn, which we'll use instead of Nallal. Thanks again for all your help with finding and translating songs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

tangerine:

You deserve the same gratitude and thanks as Vanima Edhel, for your work also behind the scenes in finding and translating masterful minstrel tunes! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

sharon, Aylwen Dreamsong, the Lady Aerowen:

Thanks for keeping us posted as to your whereabouts, fellow holiday travellers! * bows *

Belin:

Courtyard Lullaby is an awesome song, with lyrics both beautiful and unquestionably appropriate. Many thanks for posting it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Fittingly (because if I were judging solely on merit I would have wanted to rate you extremely high as well), on a 20-sided die, you earned a natural 17 ... tough to beat. IMHO, it would be only fair to allow Susan's character Anna the chance to sing before I can fixedly determine the winner. If in fact your 17 stands as the top score, I wonder if you could still go ahead and post a second song, with the understanding that Celumëomaryu comes to full awareness that she's the winner?

Susan Delgado:

Your character still has an outside chance of winning the singing contest. I trust Anna will take that chance rather than concede, and I look forward to enjoying your song. * bow of anticipation *

Birdland:

Happy New Year to you, too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I've sent you a PM, my friend.

piosenniel:

Whence comes the song you and Birdie sing in your most recent post? That's very entertaining as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]