The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2003, 09:43 PM   #41
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think I could meet you. but I wish on this thread we would hear from Rae, because she seems to be in charge of all of this. If you could meet anyone, you could probably meet her and Maril. Raefindel, where are you? you haven't been around here in awhile.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 PM   #42
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Goodness! I didn't realize I was in charge!
I start a new job tomorrow (in Tacoma) and will no longer be fancy free. I will never see my husband again (well rarely, anyway) but I will try to fit you guys in somehow. Maybe I can farm the kids out on a Saturday and we could all meet on the Seattle waterfront ? How would Mar 1 be? Lindil will be here then.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 01-23-2003, 11:49 PM   #43
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

No, maybe you are not really in charge, but you have always been a very welcoming person on the site, and you always kind of organized stuff [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 12:21 PM   #44
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh, Thank You Gorwingel! I really enjoy talking to other Tolkien-friends as much as talking about Tolkien.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #45
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

OK, wellLindil, I'll meet you Mar 1 if that works for you. I If many other Downers join us I will need to know so I can make reservations.

Lindil, Have you been to Seattle before? I put some links on this thread of a few of the things to see here. Are you staying with family or in a hotel?

Here's another favorite Seattle attraction;Pike Place Market It has withinn it the very first ever Starbucks coffee among other things. If you wish I can PM you with some other favorite things to see and do.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:48 PM   #46
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gorwingel, I feel your pain. I'm 16, too. My parents are convinced that anyone I might meet on the internet is immediately a freak who intends to murder me. Of course, they haven't been on the barrowdowns yet. So . . . yeah. Life is hard [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I wish I could meet all of you though, I do hope you have fun whenever you get together!!
Old 01-26-2003, 05:11 PM   #47
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Gorwingel, have your parents come with you. If Mar 1 works for everyone we can meet in some safe, public place. I may even bring one of my kids with me.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #48
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Thumbs up

I was considering coming, I just wanted to wait and see if anyone else responded. I would love to come though, I was thinking of coming with a friend or something (I do know how to drive, but I don't drive on the freeway very much) [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Well, I do have a month to drive some more on I-5 to get some practice. And I really know the city, we visit often, if you choose someplace in downtown, I will be able to get there fine.

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-26-2003, 08:52 PM   #49
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, You're braver than me, Sweetie! I'm taking the Ferry!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:58 PM   #50
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hey, Did any of you know about this?

Middle-earth Gig Harbor gathering

Sound fun?
Old 01-26-2003, 08:59 PM   #51
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

I can't take the ferry, I would if I could, it would be so much easier than driving on that mess called I-5, or maybe I could take the bus.

That Gig Harbor thing looks cool, maybe I will go to that, I have been wondering if there is any Tolkien gatherings to go to in Washington, additionally another autograph to add to my LOTR actors collection
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Just went on the website for the Gig Harbor gathering, that looks great.
They are going to have vendors, I am trying to make a Eowyn dress, and they are going to be selling supplies that I could really use.
Raefindel, do you think you will go?
My parents would be much more comfortable if I went to something like that and then met some Barrow Downs people there.

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #52
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

There is a vague possibility I could make it on the Friday. My kids would still be in school and both my husband and I would have the day off.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:28 PM   #53
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

I would probably go on the weekend
Probably Saturday most likely, I told my mom and she got very excited about it, and said she would love to go to it. But I could maybe make it on Friday.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-27-2003, 06:02 AM   #54
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Raefindel, march one might be tough [although i really don't have a schedule yet] Sun PM or if I am able later in the week, if my wife heads back before me.

I will be there as part of my Diocese's family conference running from fripm to sun aft.

Sat pm after say 10pm could be possible [ actually that was the only free time now that I recall the last one of htese in LA]

I met an old friend at the Border's there right before midnight!

As for Seattle, I lived there on and off for a couple of years [ and on Orcas Is. for most of seven ]and then Port Townsend for 3 or so years before coming down to Northern CA. We hope to move back to Orcas someday actually.

Anyway I know my way around well enough, and will be staying at a friends - thank you for your gracious enquiry though.

Sounds like your weekdays may be tied up with your new job and weeknights with family?

I may be there for a few days after the conference ends if I can get Sarah back with out me and the girls [probable]. So that would leave me with a lot more flexibility from Mon on.

Enjoy the Ringcon folks that looks great!

Someone congratulate Brad for that tear for me!
One of the best moments in TTT I thought.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:13 AM   #55
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Lindil, We lived in Ca. 13 years before moving back to Washington. I used to surf the web and look at things and places I missed. One of my favorite web sites was the bakery in Poulsbo with the "doughnut men" in the window.

Sunday would work for me, I could go to work with my hubby and be in Seattle around 2:30. (He works at KOMO) Any thoughts about where you would like to meet?

Gorwingel, Now that I get to looking at it, The convention doesn't open Friday till 4pm. There is a possibility I could bring the the whole family, but one of my elflings is Autistic and there is no telling how she will react to such a situation. We could end up paying $50 to get in the gate and have to leave in 10 minutes. I'll talk it over with Master Greycloak and see what he thinks. Maybe he can get "Press Passes" then if it doesn't work out we aren't loosing as much.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:22 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

All that information looks great [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anything that happens on the weekend works great for me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:14 PM   #57
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Is anyone going to meet Lindil but me? I'm certain Lindil is the nicest of gentlemen, but My husband would have a definite problem with me going out to meet a man with no one else with me.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 01-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #58
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

White-Hand

I'll come, where are you going to meet? It would be an interesting group of people (me being only 17 and all) but it is a great display of the wide array of people we have on this site.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #59
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

WooHoo! Thank You, Sweetie! We have 3! Lindil, will you have family coming? Any preferences as to where to meet? Seattle Center Food Court? Elephant & Castle? Or another place?
Old 01-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #60
lindil

Sting

Actually when I said Sun PM, I should have said Sun night. Our lectures and such do not end till after 5pm I think so I would say 7pm might be the earliest I could meet up. And most likely I will have my 2 girls [4 and 6] wih me. helen [6 yr old] will be delighted to meet other fans if she can, as she is reading them now herself [we read them once together].

Raefindel, are you in Seattle proper or the outskirts? Because if Downtown is a problem [it's not for me] then further out is OK.
Anywhere handy is fine for me.

I will prob be driving from Northgate or greenlake area's.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:39 PM   #61
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I don't live in Seattle at all. I'll ride in with my husband who works downtown. 7pm would be fine. I was thinking Elephant & Castle because it is old-world English style, but Your children might not enjoy that kind of food. Maybe the Spaghetti Factory would be better. I'm open to whatever you like or would work best for you.You choose, since you are the guest of honor, anything would be fine for me. I will see if maybe one of my kids would like to come too, then yours will have some company.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:25 PM   #62
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Both of those places sound good, I can't wait
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 PM   #63
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, Lindil's bringing his children and since Elephant & Castle is a Pub, that wouldn't work well. What do you all say to Spaghetti Factory?
Old 02-01-2003, 12:35 AM   #64
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

I have been to the Spaghetti Factory in Spokane and I have heard that the Seattle one is good too. Raefindel, should you and I get there a little early and then wait for lindil? Because I would probably have to head home at 8:30 or so, cause it will take me an hour or so to get back home. My mother is still a little suspicious about it, but I think she will warm up to it by March 2. But I am going to come, I think you are all great people on this site, who would be very enjoyable to meet in person. She just dosen't understand why you would want to meet me, me being so young and all (that is truely what she said) but I said that when everyone posts on the site you really can't tell what age anyone is, and that we all post on a very equal level. I hope that she will come, I think she will have a good time.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-01-2003, 03:13 AM   #65
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sure. Sounds fine to me. I personally have no idea what I'll be doing that far in advance. LOL

Maril
Old 02-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #66
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

You'll know me by my costume, I'll dress as a Balrog! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #67
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

1420!

Yeah! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Another person, this is going to be great [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #68
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh Fiddlesticks! My Balrog costume has a hole in the wing, Guess I'll have to go as something else. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #69
lindil

Sting

Spaghetti factory sounds good [ it is all still semi-tentative to me].

Hope you can make it maril!

I just found out my favorite Bishop [ sounds crazy doesn't it? but the fellow is like a saint] will be doing a Q and A session starting at 5pm so i will do my best to be there at 7pm.

Now where is it? and is parking a hassle ?
I could bus doen from Northgate mall if it is.

Thanks for the kid[s] bring along Raefindel that will prob make it more enjoyable for all. And sooth the spousal concerns too.

Does anyone have a digital camera?

It would be nice to share it with the rest of the board.
Quote:
You choose, since you are the guest of honor, anything would be fine for me.
much thanks to all of you for the hospitality.

Shall I bring a bit of the revised Fall of Gondolin to read?

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:12 PM   #70
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

White-Hand

I have a digital camera, I will make sure to bring it, to document every part of our gathering [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #71
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Here is a Spaghetti Factory Location
Page with phone # and address. but simply said, it is on the waterfront.

My husband informs me it is tentative on my end as well, as we may have a gymnastic competition that day. (We will get the March callendar soon).
Old 02-04-2003, 04:31 PM   #72
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I checked the callendars and Mar 2 still looks good. And I'm OK if it's later than7 Lindil. If I go to work with my husband I have to go home with him too, which means I'll be in Seattle till his shift ends at 11pm anyway.

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 02-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #73
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

That's great Raefindel, I was worried for a moment that you would not be able to make it.
(breathes a sigh of relief [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] )

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #74
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey everybody, I never knew that there was a Washingtonian gathering on the BD!!!! yay! thank you for pointing this out, Gorwingel! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #75
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Hello, elsye, glad you made it down here! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #76
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hi elsye,

Will you be able to join us on Mar 2nd? We'd be thrilled to meet you.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:55 PM   #77
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wish I could. I'm going to a youth leaders conference during that time. Go Jeane Mayo!!!! but hey, I get to stay in Leavenworth. hehe, clogs.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:40 PM   #78
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oooh! You lucky dog!

I was there a few months ago on our anniversary and had a wonderful time. Hope you do too.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #79
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello fellow Washingtonians [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I think it's great you all are meeting however I will be unable to join you on March 2nd. I will be at Washington State University that weekend. Perhaps next year if I'm home from college when you plan it!

Good luck and I hope we are not all as crazy as we seem... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 05:37 PM   #80
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, do try to make it next time! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] No knowing when it will be, but we didn't wait a year in between the first two.