The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question Question about these...

I found these amongst my things, and it's been so long, that I can't quite recall what they are. I looked them up, even on Sideshow/Weta, and while I found coins similar, they weren't quite like these. I want to say they are Shire coins, but then again, there is the tree and the elvish. Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly they are?

Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Using this helpful site, I tried to transliterate the writing on the coin on the right (since it's really hard to see whats on the left one) assuming it's in Sindarin.

The results are pretty skeptical. Starting from the botom "colon" thingy, going clockwise:

is(?)zamarquonoqu. (?)rquelemris.

Go ahead and laugh at me.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Look HERE. I think these are coins from The Shire Mint. I vaguely recall having some at one time.

And here's another site showing other coins of Middle-earth - there's a little more info on the Shire coins, too. The tree is apparently a pine and represents the North Farthing.