The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2002, 03:34 AM   #1
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting Dream

It's about 2:30 a.m. here. I've just woken up from a dream that has much relevance to this forum and am very groggy, so if the following makes little sense, I apologize.

The dream: feeling a need for scholarly things, I wandered into a library that was just closing. All the lights were out and the janitor was locking all the doors from the outside so that no one would get in over the weekend. I was already inside and, not wanting to leave, made a mad dash for a spiral staircase in the darkened corner at the other end of the library. I had a book title in mind, something to do with Tolkien and relating to a paper I would have to write sooner or later.

I ran up the staircase and met an old man in a book-filled and paper cluttered room. He was very nice; asked what he could do to help me out. Before I said anything, however, he piled up a stack of books and handed them to me. I said I was looking for something about Tolkien and he smiled and said "So, you've read my books?"

As it turns out, the old man was none other than Professor Tolkien himself! The book-cluttered room metamorphosed into something that looked like my apartment and Tolkien got up and went to get me a book about him. He pulled a chair up to my bookcase and started leafing through the Redbook of Westmarch, muttering.

Then it got creepy. He started calling himself "my precious" and asking himself "if it would like a nice book, a good book." One of my teeth fell out and Gollum/Tolkien started laughing (not because my tooth fell out though). It was not a friendly laugh; he was cackling very wickedly. The sound was so scary that it woke me up.

I suppose I shouldn't read Tolkien's biography so late at night, should I? Have a good day, hope all of you rested well and thank you for indulging a sleepy hobbit.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:44 AM   #2
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

you really are obsessed with Tolkien, did you know that? Anyway, cool dream.. I wish I could dream so clearly.. The last dream I had that I remembered after waking up was three months ago, and all I could recall after waking up was me flying away from Gollum, that was chasing me.. ^_^ Ok, so Gollum do still exist in our dreams, right??
Not sure what I want to say with this post, other then: Keep dreaming funny dreams about Tolkien, please...!?
Old 02-23-2002, 08:04 AM   #3
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

hey kewl dream, i wish i could dream about Tolkien instead of Save by the Bell however much i still love that tv prog (dont ask!)...
sounds a little scary tho! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:21 AM   #4
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Three nights ago I had a dream in which Saruman was training a classroom of goblins in wickedness and one was more clever than all the rest. His name was Odo. He looked like Elijah Wood with grey skin and tangled hair. Saruman suddenly took him to the front of the class and measured his height. Then he told him it wouldn't do for a servant being taller than his master. Then he asked 'How tall are you?' and Odo replied: '170 cm'. 'I'm only 160!' shouted Saruman, and then he told Odo to shorten himself...

I was going to write last night's tolkienish dream here too, but I forgot it.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

All my dreams involve me being chased by the Nazgul, seeking refuge with Gollum, him giving me The One Ring, and me running to Frodo and The Fellowship crying "Hey! Stop! Here, I think you've lost this!" Then I walk to Rivendell and wake up.
I am confused by this.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'm glad I wrote that down because when I woke up I didn't remember it at all. I think a dream about the "History of Middle Earth" books was erasing it, but I don't remember what I was dreaming after that.

This isn't the first Tolkien-ish dream I've had. I had one about a hobbit road-trip. (I really wish I could remember what Sam said about those pre-packaged chocolate muffins at the gas station. It was really deep!)

Last night's dream was really scary. Usually, when I hear a laugh like that, it's followed by a loud ringing noise in my ears and me waking up to find that I can't move yet. That didn't happen last night, thankfully. I just woke up and grabbed the stuffed lion off my headboard. It really scared me. (Hey, you're never too old to keep a stuffed animal around in case of emergencies! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old 02-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #7
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Hey! I still keep 15 soft toys around! They are cool, and don't complain when I snore or talk Tolkein in my sleep. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Rosa didn't you tell us you had a dream about hobbits DRIVING too?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:33 PM   #9
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm having recurring dreams about an Elf that runs my local bookshop... its quite cool actually as the dreams seem to be sequential, almost like having a real Elf of my own!!

most peculiar

incidentally, his name's Luinëwing. have i made that one up or does anyone else know him?! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Rosa didn't you tell us you had a dream about hobbits DRIVING too?
Yes, I did. Incidentally, that was the only driving dream I've ever had that turn out disasterous, but then, I dropped out of the dream pretty early on. (I don't often feature in my own dreams, it's really strange.) It was a cool dream, but rather weird. I can write it down here, too, if anyone wants full details. Otherwise, I think I summed it up in another thread, can't remember which though...
Old 02-23-2002, 03:18 PM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

The only Tolkien Dream I've ever had is when I was reading BOTH StarWars and LOTR. Boy did they get all mixed up in my dreams! I had Princess Leia in Middle Earth! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I had a tolkien dream about Moria once. It was me and pippin and Gimli and Boromir and LEgolas and we all had to climb a pillar in that big hall and whoever got to the top last had to face the balrog. And it was legolas last, and the balrog shot a jet of fire at him and then...well...then I woke up, actually.

Oh, yeah, I just went to the movie again today, and the Balrog DID have wings. If you haven't established that already. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 10:16 AM   #13
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

The Balrog had wings? I didn't see that.

Old 02-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #14
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Eep! Creepy dreams, people! And Hobbits and Elves... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I remember having a ME dream. I think I was a human girl, on Earth, and an elf found me, and needed help to get to ME before the gates closed and he'd be trapped here forever. So I helped him, and I wanted to get to ME too, so Elrond told me that I needed to prove myself worthy, so I needed to go on a quest. A few of my human friends helped me through it, and although I don't remember what the quest was.... I passed, and Elrond told me that I really was an elf, name Nevlachiel, and that I would now be going to the Grey Havens to live happily ever after. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:09 PM   #15
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Wow! Cool dream, I wish I could dream as vividly as that and remember it!.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:55 AM   #16
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] balrog [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] clearly had wings, how could you miss that???

I can never remember any of my LOTR dreams, except one where Elijah Wood was wearing a wetsuit and being mobbed by lots of school boys!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 01:35 PM   #17
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Ergh! That really is a strange dream! Quite scary too!