The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2002, 01:36 AM   #1
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting How do you begin Fan Fiction/Own Story??

I have always wanted to create my own self made story, but I have never really known how to start one from the begining.
Can someone who has done Fan Fiction stories or anythng else of the simlilar give me some ideas or tips to help me out?
Thankyou Very Much...

PS: sorry this post wasn't really Tolkien related...... wow, okay i just realized that iv posted like thirty somthing posts, thats a lot (well, not as much as some people here). And I am an Animated Skeleton, didn't realize that either.....

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Daisy Sandybanks ]
Old 02-15-2002, 03:54 AM   #2
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Mae govannen Sandybanks!1

But what type of fanfiction are you talking about. There is a lot you know from comics,drawings even to animations so what type of fanfiction are we really talking about.
I have done a couple of essays and some short stories but never really got mine printed( for some reason it is not popular here in Malaysia ).
Please oh please tell me the detail so i can help. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2002, 08:57 AM   #3
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Start with a basic theme or premise that you wish to deal with. For example, in the case of my "Tol Eressea" series (which may be found in the Barrow-Downs fan fiction section) I began with the premise that I wanted to fill in some of the gaps left by Tolkien, both with respect to untold tales as well as historical or philosophical issues hinted at in HoME or Letters. Then I needed a "vehicle" to present the stories and I selected Tolkien's Aelfwine character as the primary character and the tales he hears from the Elves as the vehicle. The setting was easy after the choice of Aelfwine; he hears these tales in Tol Eressea.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, if you're going to start with Fanfiction, pick something you like. Like I write a lot of X-Men fanfiction. And just now started tackling a Tolkien fanfiction, which the idea was given to me by a friend so I hope no one flames me after it's finished. Then think out a plot. Always include a disclaimer tho.

Now if it's your own story, like my story, The Hunt(If anyone's interested I'll post the address), is a fantasy story about a young woman being hunted for "Sport" and saved by a rather spiteful forest child. Where I got the idea I have no idea. I just started writing one night.

Always write about something you like. That's what I do.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:07 PM   #5
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I began mine because I was fascinated with Elrond and his experiences. Even though he was counted among the Eldar, he had human blood in him. I wanted to explore how he would react to a human type of dilemma as an elf, especially if he was a part of the dilemma. So, I created Aralaithiel as his illegitimate daughter. The introduction has just been posted (YES!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) on this site in the fan fiction section.
Read, re-read, and re-read Tolkien's works and see if there are some concepts that do not get touched that you woul like to explore, as Mithadan & I have suggested.
Enjoy the journey!
Old 02-15-2002, 10:41 PM   #6
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

okay, great, thanks you guys for all your help, I apriciate it very much!
Old 02-15-2002, 11:46 PM   #7
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

One more tip: I don't really write fanfiction, but I'm in the process of more clearly formating some stories for later publication.

I tend to start with one character and the story forms around him/her. I want to learn more about that character, so I start digging for his/her past and a story tends to form around that.

Or, I start with a vague idea. For example, right now I'm trying to create a sci-fi story using one of the parables of Jesus as a basic plot. I currently have a pretty good idea about the culture and environment for my story, I just need to come up with the right characters and a good plot. So you can try stuff like that. Hope that helps!
Old 02-16-2002, 07:36 PM   #8
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

There's a great book by the only person to win both the Nebula and Hugo awards two years in a row, Orson Scott Card (who's also a well-loved professor) called Characters and Viewpoint.

Many of the suggestions here (write what you know and love, pick a character or idea you like) are in it, but there's a much more than you can glean off a few who can't back it with the kind of thought a carefully planned book can give you. Expecially from a writer and teacher of his experience. Among other ideas, he suggests ways to help you dig into your characters and bring them into three dimensions.

Some favorite points he makes early on, are three reader responses to avoid:
Quote:
[*]"Huh?"
Make sense. Avoid assumptions your readers know what they can't. A BIIIIG problem with fan fiction since fans typically assume you have their vast knowledge (or memory) of the LotR/Star Wars/whatever. Tolkien doesn't make this mistake. We shouldn't either.[*]"So what?"
Give the reader a reason they should take interest. Usually if you care, your reader will. But I've noticed a tendency to clue us in to that reason way late.
Tolkien awakens our curiousity (immediately) with this party, through Shire-gossip hints of Bilbo's oddity and uncanny associations with wizards and dwarves. You can't wait to find out what he's like and why he's so different. And if you already read the Hobbit, you smile to see old friends through stranger's eyes.[*]"No way!"
Believability.
For example: It's believable that as soon as Frodo and Sam strike out on their own towards Mordor, they get lost. What if they had just 'stumbled' on some direct route to Orodruin, or it just wasn't addressed how they find their way without maps - ?
Or what if Merry had bested the Witch King in hand-to-hand combat -? Ugh.
Yet, inexpert with a blade, ignored, giving a stab to the back of the calf when another could take advantage of the distraction? This is the kind of careful thought that makes Tolkien great.
An awful (and I do mean awful) LOT of fan fiction is particularly bad on these three points, because they assume, assume, assume, and love the stories they imitate so much they don't question themselves and their story.
Tolkien challenged himself constantly. There was one point where he looked up the phases of the moon, so Sam could look up outside of Lorien and discover a month had gone by.

Card gives lots of exercises from his group workshops to help shake loose ideas, question, delve deeper, find plot twists you hadn't considered, depth of motivation. Great stuff.

See if you can find it at the local library.

Go for it!

Last thing. Like everything you get better with practice. Write a lot.

-Maril [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 02-16-2002, 07:51 PM   #9
NotHomeYet
Pile O'Bones

NotHomeYet has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Effort! Put everything you have into a fanfic, and if it's still no good, then you can't write. Don't slap something together and post it without a second thought; read and reread it, edit it, write and rewrite it, and NEVER BE SATISFIED!

*has finished Drill Seargant-style pep talk*

*goes away*

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Is the gloom and despair
Too many would be prophets
Saying it's the end of it all
'Cause Mother Earth can't take much more
The skies are gonna fall
So nature has its needs
That's a lesson learned
But it appears to me
There are greater concerns
'Cause we can save the planet
Thinking we will somehow survive
But Father Time is calling us
To save somebody's life

So I won't bend and I won't break
I won't water down my faith
I won't compromise in a world of desperation
What has been, I cannot change
For tomorrow and today
I must be a light to future generations

--- 4HIM
NotHomeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It might also help to check out other good fanfic authors, (and there are very few). But I do recomend "The Jewel of Brandy Hall". What happens in this story is very implausible but the way in which it was written makes it seem almost like you could believe it. It focuses on the first believable descendent of Frodo Baggins that I have ever seen. And the author makes good use of her knowledge of Tolkien's writing style and his characters. It's long but worth the trouble.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:09 AM   #11
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not really writing ME- Fanfiction, but I write fantasy stories and adventures for roleplaying-systems like Ad&D.
Sometimes I have no ideas at all how to start a story and I can´t really help it then. But if I have an idea I often write a story around a special character or situation.
I think if you have something in mind you shoudl just start writing. If you have an idea for the plot or a special situation, just imagine how and where you´re story could begin and start writing.
Well, I hope that helped [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2002, 09:39 AM   #12
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have written lots of stories...everything from Third Watch (TV), Inu Yasha (Anime) To Lord of the Rings...and I never really need to think about what I am writing about. I just sit down and things usually come to me. Just relax and don't think that you HAVE to write a story because it shows when you do that. If you are a person that forgets stuff easily, put a plot down on paper.

My first Lord of the Rings fiction came to me when I almost slipped and fell in a mud puddle at school...so I wrote about some of the Fellowship falling into a huge mud pit-it was light-hearted and goofy and really had no reason to it, but people seemed to like it and I enjoyed writing it. That is the most important element of all-- enjoy what you write . There are no technical terms involved (i don't know about you guys, but the scare the crap out of me) or fancy mumbo-jumbo.

I find a great place to go is:fanfiction.net because of the interaction between writers that share a common interest-if you are doing something wrong, many people will let you down easily. ^_^ I have had of those experiences.

Good Luck.
Sincerely,
Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:17 PM   #13
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:
<STRONG>It might also help to check out other good fanfic authors, (and there are very few). But I do recomend "The Jewel of Brandy Hall". What happens in this story is very implausible but the way in which it was written makes it seem almost like you could believe it. It focuses on the first believable descendent of Frodo Baggins that I have ever seen. And the author makes good use of her knowledge of Tolkien's writing style and his characters. It's long but worth the trouble.</STRONG>
WOW! I must say that was well writen. Makes me go back and look at mine. Thanks for posting that Rosa.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 PM   #14
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You're welcome! It almost made me cry (just like LotR did) so I knew it must be somewhat good. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Even have it bookmarked on my computer!
Old 02-18-2002, 04:01 PM   #15
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I do agree on the constant re-reading of one's work. And, I have made some changes. But so far only to my character's hair color. It's now flaming red! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #16
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:
<STRONG>You're welcome! It almost made me cry (just like LotR did) so I knew it must be somewhat good. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Even have it bookmarked on my computer!</STRONG>
I was crying at the end, just like I'll probably be, writing Falon's story. (The Tolkien Fanfic, I'm working on) but it was so well writen! Praises to the Author who wrote it!