The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #41
Tinker
Pile O'Bones

Tinker has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like some (most? I lost count)of you I liked Movie-Denethor. Of course, I always thought Book-Denethor, noble and honourable though he once was, was a jerk (to put it very very lightly, so i suppose I wasn't to angry at what Movie-Denethor was like. I think what I liked best was when Noble's performance reminded me of Book-Denethor, ina good way. For example HCIsland mentioned: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...when Pippin was stumbling through the lines of his oath and Denethor was smiling down on him in a grandfatherly way. Just a slight hint that there is more to this guy than just a crazy villian. I thought his sense of dispair came across well, just not what was the root source of it.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A good moment.My favorite, for much the same reason as HCIsland's, was the first time we see Denethor. A man of obviously noble(Noble?)bearing, hunched over in a throne that's not a throne, if you follow me (if not, take the next left and make a U-Turn. And that voice.<P>Denethor: "Perhaps you've come to explain this. Perhaps you've come to tell me why my son is dead."<P>A proud man in mourning, what can I say?<P>Then my friend ruined the moment by saying " *Gasp* Faramir's dead?! But he was cute!"<P>And since everybody else has had their opinion of the death Scne, Let me just say this: Rememeber when Gandalf was on Shadowfax and the horse was rearing, knocking Denethor into the Pyre? Yes, that was me saying "Good, horse. Now aim for the head..."
Tolkienitis, GS Symptom #6: A suddenly developed obsession/aversion with jewlery, esp. rings of gold.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #42
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When i first saw Denethor, i thought "Meela" but then i was really drawn in by him. The poor guy! And it broke my heart when they brought Faramir back knocked-out and he was saying "My line has ended!". The only part i diddnt like about him was the part where he was eating, and thats just becuase i dont like people with bad table manners so for me that was a bit yuk. I dont really know whether i liked or i diddnt like the manner in which he died, I cant make up my mind. It was interesting, ill say that.<P>I am for sure going to see a play with him in it now! (John Noble that is) becuase thats what he does.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #43
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I found the sounds of the eating to be the weirdest part. The close ups of squirting juices and bone picking were certainly over the top and creepy, but the volumnized, heightened, juice slurping reminded me of a bad LSD trip. I also worried a bit about my reading concentration, (a valid worry ) because I had just re-read RoTK about a month ago, and while I really, really disliked Denethor because he seemed to be constantly bragging about his "knowledge", this surrealistic food noise bit had escaped me.<P> So is this not in the book at all? I thought the bursting juices and greasy bone picking might be some sort of representation of Faramir's, and the other soldier's precious lives and bodies being callously thrown to the enemy....like tomatoes and chicken leg on the scrap pile. Was Pippen hearing the echoing sickening slurps? Or just us? ...ewwwww.