The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
daeron
Animated Skeleton

daeron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to daeron
Isildur

Can someone tell me if Tolkien has ever made any references to Isildur's character?

I mean we all know he fell for the ring, but was he proud? Ok, he was a Numenorean, a valiant one and deserved pride, but was he arrogant like Denethor or Boromir? Or was his attraction to the ring a result of the grief he had experienced as a result of his losses of his father, brother and destruction of Minas Ithil and Ithilien?

I have always imagined him to be of Denethor's character, at a higher level, far seeing as befit a Numenorean of royal line, but arrogant and to an extant, rash. Such a person would easily have been swayed by the evil of the ring. I always thought Anarion was always the good one, though I could have been influenced by Boromir-Faramir story. One can never tell I guess, since Anarion was not present when Isildur cut off the ring. History has never made much mention of Anarion.

But after reading Brian Crawford's Isildur which portrays him as an understanding, thoughtful and a great leader, I am confused. So help me out guys. I haven't read the HoME series yet.
daeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

You would probably find "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields" in The Unfinished Tales to be very interesting. Much of Isilsur's personality is revealed in that story.

I won't spoil the particulars of the story for you, but suffice to say that Isildur had a change of opinion regarding his pride and the Ring before the end of his life...

I suppose it might parallel Boromir in a way, at least so far as realizing a mistake.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:34 AM   #3
daeron
Animated Skeleton

daeron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to daeron
Yes I have read that part, but it still does not say of what character he might have been before the ring came to him. I men did he consider himself above all others, and have a dislike towards the elves feeling that they have no right to proclaim themselves superior. There is another character I might refer to, that is Ar Pharazon.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:33 AM   #4
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
I don't suppose that Isildur's the Ar-Pharazon type of guy--even before he took the Ring. The Disaster of the Gladden Fields tells what kind of father he was--he seems to be compasssionate enough to not be compared to Tar-Calion. He sent his esquire away with what remained of his daddy's sword... a proud man wouldn't have done that in my opinion.

And I suppose he's the compassionate great leader Brian Crawford seems to think--maybe the Ring has just partially corrupted him.

Try to reread the Disaster over again; it might help.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The document he writes gives some clues..... I guess he was more or less normal until the ring's effects kicked in. Maybe a bit like Boromir....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And Sauron urged the King to cut down the White Tree, Nimloth the Fair, that grew in his courts, for it was a memorial of the Eldar and of the light of Valinor.
At the first the King would not assent to this, since he believed that the fortunes of his house were bound up with the Tree, as was forespoken by Tal-Palantir. Thus in his folly he who now hated the Eldar and the Valar vainly clung to the shadow of the old allegiance of Numenor. But when Amandil heard rumour of the evil purpose of Sauron he was grieved to the heart, knowing that in the end Sauron would surely have his will. Then he spoke to Elendil and the sons of Elendil, recalling the tale of the Trees of Valinor; and Isildur said no word, but went out by night and did a deed for which he was afterwards renowned. For he passed alone in disguise to Armenelos and to the courts of the King, which were now forbidden to the Faithful; and he came to the place of the Tree, which was forbidden to all by the orders of Sauron, and the Tree was watched day and night by guards in his service. At that time Nimloth was dark and bore no bloom, for it was late in the autumn, and its winter was nigh; and Isildur passed through the guards and took from the Tree a fruit that hung upon it, and turned to go. But the guard was aroused, and he was assailed, and fought his way out, receiving many wounds; and he escaped, and because he was disguised it was not discovered who had laid hands on the Tree. But Isildur came at last hardly back to Romenna and delivered the fruit to the hands of Amandil, ere his strength failed him. Then the fruit was planted in secret, and it was blessed by Amandil; and a shoot arose from it and sprouted in the spring. But when its first leaf opened then Isildur, who had lain long and come near to death, arose and was troubled no more by his wounds.
Akallabeth
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
And Sauron urged the King to cut down the White Tree, Nimloth the Fair, that grew in his courts, for it was a memorial of the Eldar and of the light of Valinor.

At the first the King would not assent to this, since he believed that the fortunes of his house were bound up with the Tree, as was forespoken by Tal-Palantir. Thus in his folly he who now hated the Eldar and the Valar vainly clung to the shadow of the old allegiance of Numenor. But when Amandil heard rumour of the evil purpose of Sauron he was grieved to the heart, knowing that in the end Sauron would surely have his will. Then he spoke to Elendil and the sons of Elendil, recalling the tale of the Trees of Valinor; and Isildur said no word, but went out by night and did a deed for which he was afterwards renowned. For he passed alone in disguise to Armenelos and to the courts of the King, which were now forbidden to the Faithful; and he came to the place of the Tree, which was forbidden to all by the orders of Sauron, and the Tree was watched day and night by guards in his service. At that time Nimloth was dark and bore no bloom, for it was late in the autumn, and its winter was nigh; and Isildur passed through the guards and took from the Tree a fruit that hung upon it, and turned to go. But the guard was aroused, and he was assailed, and fought his way out, receiving many wounds; and he escaped, and because he was disguised it was not discovered who had laid hands on the Tree. But Isildur came at last hardly back to Romenna and delivered the fruit to the hands of Amandil, ere his strength failed him. Then the fruit was planted in secret, and it was blessed by Amandil; and a shoot arose from it and sprouted in the spring. But when its first leaf opened then Isildur, who had lain long and come near to death, arose and was troubled no more by his wounds.

Akallabeth
That is the primary word on the character of Isildur. Much less is known of his brother Anarion. I think in deeds of battle Boromir was akin to Isildur in many ways. This character of Isildur is shown again when he takes up the broken sword of Elendil and takes off Sauron's finger with the ring.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
deal_with_it
Animated Skeleton

deal_with_it has just left Hobbiton.
From the Movie scene

Where they show Elrond and Isildur in the Cracks of Doom and Isildur refuses to throw the Ring in. I think Elrond should have forced the issue knowing what was at stake, but did that even happen in the book? Or was that another Peter Jackson thing?
deal_with_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
ell, thats another problem with transferrence from book to movie. In the book, notably the Scroll Gandalf reads in Minas Tirith, states that Isildur took the Ring "as a token for his brother, father, and house to be an heirloom" or something. It implied he didnt want to use the Ring for its powers, I he knew about them. The movie with his "no..." makes him seem more.....gollumish.

Kuru's
right. The Disaster of the Gladden Fields reveals much about the family and friendship of The House of Elendil, and it shows was not an Ar-Pharazon guy.
________
Osteoporosis forums

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Silmarillion and UT Isildur is certainly a more sympathetic and
complex figure then PJ's. For general information on Isildur and
the line of kings try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isildur

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 04-03-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
Lord of Nazgul

The Eye

Refering to the link Tuor of Gondolin suggested
I quote :-

Isildur settled on the east bank of the Anduin and established the city of Minas Ithil (which would later be named Minas Morgul), as well as the province of Ithilien. However, in 3428 Sauron took Minas Ithil, and Isildur fled northwest to Gil-galad and his father in Arnor, leaving Anárion to rule over Gondor.

From this text I assume that Isildur though proud and valiant of the race of Numenor was a bit like Boromir proud and arrogant , it is said that he fled to Arnor leaving behind Anaron to rule Gondor when the Witch King retook Minas Ithil .
Thus I believe Isildur was valiant but was mortally afraid of The Dark Lord .
I cannot find any record of this but from his behaviour it suggests so , But his brother Anarion was like Faramir , less arrogant but more wise .