The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2005, 05:50 AM   #1
daeron
Animated Skeleton

daeron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to daeron
Spirits in jewellery

I don't know whether this topic comes in this forum or not.
Can anyone suggest any other means of preventing death except ripping spirits and storing them in objects? Its obvious why I got this doubt. HP and HBP follows the same idea of LOTR. Can't there be another way?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Falling in love with a half-Maia, having to earn aSilmaril to wed her [touching it in the process], die by a werewolf's bites, your half-divine lover asking Mandos to release the both of you.....---->living again for a brief while.

Seriously, I think there is no other way.... and speaking of ripping and tearing and storing spirits in objects, where has thhat occured? Surely the Ring when Sauron made it begot life of its own(?)

~yavie
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
There is some dispute over the Mouth of Sauron. According to RotK, he "entered the service of the Dark Tower when it first rose again." This could mean two things: either he was a descendant of the Black Numenoreans and entered Sauron's service when Sauron openly declared himself (about 70 yrs before the WotR), or he entered Sauron's service when Sauron started rebuilding in Mordor after fleeing from Numenor - making the Mouth of Sauron more than 3000 years old.

If it is the latter case, there certainly would have been some means of preventing death, probably some sorcery or magic - it says in the same passage that the MoS "learned great sorcery." So there may have been some means of preventing death by sorcery - though this would certainly be numbered among the black arts of Sauron and generally condemned as evil.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Well, there is Oscar Wilde's idea of using a painting in The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
There is also the ring-bearing possibility (not to my liking though ):
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, Shadow of the past
A mortal, Frodo, who keeps one of the Great Rings, does not die, but he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness
Just as in Mouth of Sauron's case, Sauron could give his wraiths the ability to overcome this weariness.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Yuukale Narmo

Leaf

Aiya !

Well, a way of thinking is that immortality could be achieved through the black arts of the enemy, in exchange for his purity, i mean, you could keep on living but your fëa will grow more and more weary, becoming just a shade of what it was in life, as happened with the ringwraiths and someday would to gollum.
Similar is the destiny of elves who stays too long in middle earth (like Galadriel) as spoken in the North Prophecy, though not as harsh and evil as was for the
"corrupted".
And, if memory is right, someone mentioned that the one ring slowly poisons and kills the soul of the user.

What ye think ?

Namárië
Old 04-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
And, if memory is right, someone mentioned that the one ring slowly poisons and kills the soul of the user.
This is a rather interesting thought. I do agree with the poisoning idea, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's slow poisoning. I have two major proofs of this:

Exhibit a - The One Ring- evidence 1- When Isildur first slew Sauron, he took the Ring. Isildur's strength failed him and he wasn't able to throw the Ring into the fires. The Ring corrupted him rather quickly because his intention when he got the One Ring was to throw it into the fires of Mount Doom. It only took the Ring about (what would you say, three days?) to corrupt him and convince him not to.

evidence b - Sméagol and Déagol fought for the Ring. Déagol ended up getting killed, Sméagol shunned from his tribe and he turned into what everyone now knows him as, Gollum. He eventually spent every waking moment thinking about the Ring. In the end, if it wasn't for his lust of the Ring, the Ring wouldn't have been destroyed. Which brings me to...

evidence c - Frodo was able to hold off the corruption (aka poisoning) until the very end where he (like Isildur) could not throw the Ring into the fires of Mount Doom. As they got closer to Mordor, he was constantly thinking of the Ring.

evidence d - Boromir lusted for the Ring and attacked Frodo for it. This (depending on how you look at it like Boro did in my thread [Boromir: What would have happened if he didn't die?]) his death could be seen as attonement(sp?) for this.

My next bit Exhibit is this:

Exhibit b - The Silmarils - evidence a - Fëanor crafted the Simalrils. His creations were beautiful, even to him, and he ended up (by the time of the Darkening of Valinor) locking them away and only letting himself see them. His lust for them as well as his want of revenge against Morgoth is what brought him to Middle-Earth as well as his own Doom.

evidence b - Thingol sent Beren to retrieve a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown which could be seen as two things: wanting to get rid of Beren as well as the lust (even the it was very small at the time) for a Silmaril. This lust had a major role in the Doom of Beren and Luthien. It is also said that Thingol was starting to develop the same lust for the Silmarils that Fëanor had (hiding them and only letting himself see it). This lust eventually led to his doom as well.

Now, if you look at all that, I think you could draw that even though the poisoning does occur (even though Tolkien as well as others used different words [lust and corruption for instance]) you can still see that it all depends on what race you are and what strenght you have. For instance, Frodo's corruption took much longer then that of Isildur.

So, what can we draw from this?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Yuukale Narmo

Leaf

heh, sorry, i forgot to take in account the strenght of will of those with pure hearts. ^^" . Anyway, you got the idea of the corruption of the soul. For some it takes less time than to others, but all these things end up in corruption sooner or later, as seen when frodo came closer (which also contributed to this) to mordor.

Namárië