The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2004, 02:50 AM   #121
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Im putting my self on this thread Im horrible about checking my spelling I must learn to do better but now that Im in an RPG hopefully my skills will improve and Ill get it right finally
Old 08-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #122
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
the first step would have been...

I'm putting myself on this thread as I'm horrible about checking my spelling. I must learn to do better, but now that I'm in RPG, I hope my skills will improve and I'll get it right, finally.

;p

PS Not that I am flawless, myself. Just kidding

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #123
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I was about to start a very similar thread. That would have been highly embarrassing. Anywho, this thread is worth a bump.

Posters should not type then post. They should type, read, then post.

As for particular errors, it is only on the Barrowdowns that I see loose being used in place of lose. What's that all about?

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 08-22-2005 at 02:47 PM. Reason: To correct seven spelling errors. Actually, it was to insert a comma. I wonder if it's in the right place...
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #124
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*gasps*

Searching the forums for spelling threads and I did not find this?! My own thread seems a tad overdone, now...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #125
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Posters should not type then post. They should type, read, then post.
Absolutely, Eomer! May I quote the first three rules for posting well:
Quote:
1. READ!

2. READ!

3. READ!

To 1: Read the first post so that you know what the topic is. If the topic does not interest or concern you, it’s better to move on than to post off-topic.

To 2: Read the subsequent posts! Make sure that you realize what others have already said before you jump in with a trite repetition that bores all who read it. If you do not take the time to read what others have written, why should they bother to read your posts?

To 3: Read what you have written! The more strongly you feel about a topic, the more important it is to write carefully, proof-reading before you post. Write in your word processing program; save, reread, spellcheck and then, if you’re sure that is what you want to say, post it. Reread after you post – if you notice later that something was not appropriate, edit it to remove parts that could be offensive, or are subject to being misunderstood.
(from Guidelines for Forum Posting)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #126
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And may I add that in some cases of errors in spelling, punctuation or grammar there may be very good reasons. It may be a translation issue, or the poster might have dyslexia or even be vision impaired and relying on spellcheckers which are not always terribly effective at picking up errors. And there are also typos...

I've been caught out in the past picking someone up on spelling when to my shame there was one of these very good reasons for it, much to my embarrassment. I have to say though, I very rarely stumble on a post which simply displays lack of thought - you can usually tell it's one of 'those' posts when some1 wrts lik this cos they thnk its gr8.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #127
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

*tut tut* Lal, translation and dyslexia have been covered in this thread.

The gist of the discussion has been that, while errors are inevitable and everyone (well, practically everyone) makes them, lazy posting is not to be tolerated.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 AM   #128
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
*tut tut* Lal, translation and dyslexia have been covered in this thread.

The gist of the discussion has been that, while errors are inevitable and everyone (well, practically everyone) makes them, lazy posting is not to be tolerated.
Ahem... Indeed.... Am I told off then?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #129
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Consider that a stern warning, young lady. I mean, you come in here and drag back old weather-worn topics which have been discussed to completion literally years ago!

She'll never make it on the Downs....

Edit to ask: Is four winks in four posts a new record? Nothing but cheek on this forum...