The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hobbits and presents

On their birthdays hobbits give away presents as opposed to recieving them. we all know this however we do not know why.

Here's a little theory I thought up. Smeagal and Deagal were hobbits or at leasts cousings of the hobbits. Perhaps the story of how Smeagal was greedy and killed Deagal for a birthday present made them change the tradition to a far less selfish custom of giving away gifts?

any thoughts from the studio audience?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
I believe Tolkien answered someone's question about why Deagol had given Smeagol a gift, instead of the other way around, can't remember what it was, but you'll find it in the published Letters. Sorry I can't be more precise! It's a good letter, giving a lot of detail about how the Hobbit birthday-gift-giving works, starting with children giving their parents flowers on (the kids') birthdays. Have a good hunt!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That's an interesting thought, Morsul, but it doesn't survive comparison to the book. The birthday customs of the Hobbits are described as existent long before any of the Shire Hobbits knew of Gollum, let alone of his background as Sméagol. Even after the War of the Ring, it doesn't appear that his story was common knowledge among the common people. And if I remember rightly, not even Sméagol's own people were aware that he possessed the Ring, and no one there knew what had happened to Déagol, much less that Sméagol had murdered him.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Was it ever specifically stated why and how this tradition was?

I like to think that hobbits, been rather good-natured and generous, found pleasure in giving gifts to each other, so that, in oppose to a stiffer reason, the tradition was formed merely out of the goodness of their hearts. My family has taken on the tradition and at every birthday there are always 'hobbit presents' for the kids, whether it be little toys or a bag of candy, and while the kids enjoy their own presents they are always just as excited (if not more so) to give presents away. It seems to me this attitude might also apply to the hobbit.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If you can get access to The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien edited by Humphrey Carpenter, the letter you will want to read is #214 - the first 3-4 pages of it.

It is too long to quote, but it does discuss the traditions centering around 'birthdays' and the giving of presents.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:09 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for the reference to that wonderful letter, Pio! (Been awhile since I read them… ) I think the most important thing he tells us there is that hobbits both received and gave gifts on their birthdays. The receiving was a very private matter, however, and restricted to a very select group of people, whereas the gift giving was more public and widespread. So Sméagol would have received some presents early on his birthday, which then fits in with his tale.

Tolkien does tell us the reason the hobbits enjoyed the custom of giving presents:
Quote:
Actually in Hobbiton and Bywater every day in the year was somebody’s birthday, so that every hobbit in those parts had a fair chance of at least one present at least once a week. (‘A Long-Expected Party’ )
That reminded me of something written by another Oxford professor some years earlier:
Quote:
”I mean, what is an un-birthday present?”
“A present given when it isn’t your birthday, of course.”
Alice considered a little. “I like birthday presents best,” she said at last.
“You don’t know what you’re talking about!” cried Humpty Dumpty. “How many days are there in a year?”
“Three hundred and sixty-five,” said Alice.
“And how many birthdays have you?”
“One.”
“And if you take one from three hundred and sixty-five what remains?”
“Three hundred and sixty-four, of course.”…
“…that shows that there are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents –“
“Certainly,” said Alice.
“And only one for birthday presents, you know. There’s glory for you!”
(Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Ardamir the Blessed
Animated Skeleton

Ardamir the Blessed has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ardamir the Blessed Send a message via Yahoo to Ardamir the Blessed
I believe that only Hobbits of the Shire had the custom of giving away presents on their birthdays:

LR, The Prologue:
Quote:
As for the Hobbits of the Shire, with whom these tales are concerned, in the days of their peace and prosperity they were a merry folk. They dressed in bright colours, being notably fond of yellow and green; but they seldom wore shoes, since their feet had tough leathery soles and were clad in a thick curling hair, much like the hair of their heads, which was commonly brown. Thus, the only craft little practised among them was shoe-making; but they had long and skilful fingers and could make many other useful and comely things. Their faces were as a rule good-natured rather than beautiful, broad, bright-eyed, red-cheeked, with mouths apt to laughter, and to eating and drinking. And laugh they did, and eat, and drink, often and heartily, being fond of simple jests at all times, and of six meals a day (when they could get them). They were hospitable and delighted in parties, and in presents, which they gave away freely and eagerly accepted.
Ardamir the Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
PaleStar
Animated Skeleton

PaleStar has just left Hobbiton.
I think Ardamir's answered the question.