The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Things that make you go "oooh!"

We all have them. Moments of the films that elicit a strange and unique reaction from us. Perhaps it is a reaction that others find mighty strange.<P>Take mine for example. During the wizard fight in <I>The Fellowship of the Ring</I> (which I dislike greatly, by the way) Saruman is knocked flat on his back, hard. Every time I see that it makes me cringe! When Men are impaled with spears I feel not as bad a reaction. When Orcs get their heads sliced right off I feel not as bad a reaction. But I <B>shudder</B> whenever I think of this elderly gentleman cracking his spine like this.<P>What about you?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Mine occures during ROTK in the farewell scene between Merry and Pippin . . . that <I>really</I> makes me cringe. Also during the flashback with Deagol and Smeagol . . . that also makes me cringe, though not as much during the farewell scene.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mine is the part when Gandalf gets smacked by the Balrog, while they're falling down the hole in the Moria. He's just a normal size man and he gets hit by this huge monster. He also hits a rock on the way down. That parts an "oooh"
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife. I can imagine how much that would hurt. But I'm not that squeamish really, just that little thing made me go 'owch!'
Old 01-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In ROTK when the Riders of Rohan charge into the orcs I always think, 'ooh that's gotta hurt!'<P>Also, in TTT when after Theoden has been 'excised' you see Saruman fall back on the floor with the blood on his face. I always wonder if his nose is broken.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In RotK when the witchking picks up a couple of men and throws them over the wall in Minas Tirith. It doesnt make me go 'ooh' particulary but it makes me think 'Jesus christ thats gotta hurt when he hits the floor'.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's such a powerful scene in FOTR, but when Boromir picks up the shards of Narsil and cuts his finger in surprise, it just makes me wince as though I cut my own finger. Just a reaction, I know, but enough to make me go, as the thread says, "Oooh!"
Old 01-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

When Faramir was being dragged in by his horse after his attempt to reclaim Osgiliath.<BR>Ouch<p>[ 6:37 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: The Dark Elf ]
Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

When Denethor fell off the cliff. <P>'Nuff said.<P>
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I had to wince at the impact of the Riders of Rohan crashing into the wargs in TTT.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

*Aragorn being thrown sky-high by the cave troll in FotR.<P>*Both of Frodo's stabbings in FotR...they might not have killed him, but they've still got to hurt like heck.<P>*Every time an arrow went into Boromir, my favorite character of FotR .<P>*Frodo being stung by Shelob<P> Others will come to me <p>[ 8:23 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

For me it was in the FOTR EE. When the ring starts speaking black speech and Legolas and Elrond cringe. What I think is funny about that is that Boromir gets up and talks making the ring all weird and than afterward gets up to talk again. Can't the man just learn to sit down?! I am suprised Elrond didn't blow a gastket and yell at him. <p>[ 8:29 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #13
Darkrose

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife. I can imagine how much that would hurt. But I'm not that squeamish really, just that little thing made me go 'owch!' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Eek, same here. Blood makes me a little woozy. <P>Other moments that had me squirming and cringing:<P>- When Frodo was "skewered" by the cave troll in FOTR. I hadn't read the books yet and believed him to be dead. Plus, it looked like it hurt quite a lot.<P>- Also in FOTR, when Aragorn quickly parts the leader Uruk-Hai from his head. <P>- In ROTK, when the orcs launch enormous chunks of rocks at Minas Tirith and people are crushed.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #14
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

for me...<P> throughout the entire first mmovie nothing made me cringe, or a slight twitch. Surpirising as it may be, i did cry! and to most of us people cry during the thrid movie! but, no! my emotional salty bags of chocodile tears sprung out! and guess in which seen?! <BR> when boromir dies of couse! i couldn't help myself! the TT made me laugh ( though i don't really know why...) The third made me laugh somemore, giggle and get watery eyes , (from sadness not because i enjoy death.)<P> Somehow, whenever i watch the first movie my eyes get very watery near that one part... I've never had to fastforward the movie to keep myself from crying, i try to hold it in. It works Sometimes... <BR> or i just play it cool and cry in my room. <P> right now you are saying, "What a B-A-B-Y!"<BR>go ahead. If Sean Bean taking the plunge can make be weep like a duck so be it. And if frodo almost on the doorstep of death doesn't make me flinch, so be it. <BR> later days, <BR> The Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #15
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mine was when the Mumakils(sp?) were stomping on the Rohirrim, including their horses.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #16
Storm

Sting

Eomer is a cold *******, Aragon rules<P>Edited for language content.<p>[ 8:44 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-16-2004, 05:26 AM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Every time Denethor leaps off the cliff, I curl up into a ball in a squeamish sort of way, my toes curl up, and I squeak.<P>If anything makes me squeamish, feel sorry for them, or freaks me out, I do that.<P>With anything else, I just press back in my seat like I'm at the top of a rollercoaster track, about to go whooshing down.<BR>That happens during the beacon scene or any cavalry charges, mostly.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #18
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In TTT Extended version, when Eowyn starts to sing...
Old 01-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #19
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If Sean Bean taking the plunge can make be weep like a duck so be it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The Ka, you're not the only one! <BR>in ROTK, when Frodo gets stung by Shelob, I shrank to the back of my seat and cringed, but the moment was ruined by his squealing like a puppy! (I tell, you that was a puppy squeal; I had puppies, I know what I'm talking about - that's probably why I found it hilarious!).<P>Also, in ROTK, when the Nazgul were flying above the men riding from Osgiliath and swooping down to pick some of them, I was living the scene so much that I was bending from side to side along with the riders, as if trying to avoid it myself!lol. I didn't even realize it, until my boyfriend asked me what was I doing...<BR>And when Gollum falls into the lava, I get the thought: 'oh, this must hurt really bad'; and I'm surprised that his facial expression does not reflect much pain, only worry that he's losing his hold on the precious.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:49 AM   #20
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The second the arrows fly at Faramir and his men when that have their Charge of the light brigade moment makes me go ooh! The sound of the arrows is amazing.<P>The thing that makes me cringe is the ' I WILL find you' scene with the woman and the kids in Rohan. That makes me go blurrrggghhh!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #21
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn being thrown sky-high by the cave troll in FotR. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Definitely.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know, that is definitely and "ooooh!" moment for me.<P>I always "go ooooh" in TTT when Sam tugs hard on the rope attached to Gollum, and then Gollum lands flat on his tailbone/back. I can't imagine how much that would hurt, especially for Gollum who has about a millimeter of skin! Ouch!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn being thrown sky-high by the cave troll in FotR. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yea i thought that to. In the EE of FotR Boromir gets wacked by the troll aswell, that definately made me go 'oooh'. Strange thing was that he got straight back up after it .
Old 01-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #23
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

In ROTK when the Witch King's beast picks up several Gondorian soldiers and drops them about 700 feet to the bottom of Minas Tirith, I kind of get that "ooooh" feeling as they're falling.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #24
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I cringe anytime any horse tumbles at a full gallop.<P>And when one of the Nazgul fell-beasties is chasing Faramir's men during the retreat from Osgiliath and picks up a man *and his horse*.... <P>And I agree, Meneltarmacil: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and drops them about 700 feet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>...and they land on that building... eeeyeaughhhhh-UGH. (It would only hurt for a SPLIT second...)<P>And the shot looking past Pippin-On-The-Beacon, down, down, down to the citadel and then... the Pelennor WAY below that... (hides eyes.)<P>And looking down from the Stairs of Cirith Ungol... all the way down at little tiny Minas Morgul. (claws at chair)<P>No arachnophobia here; what do you call fear of heights again? Height-o-phobia. Whatever.<p>[ 5:02 PM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #25
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

arachnaphobia's spiders ( dont go by shelob) i dont know the hight-o-phobia but i kno getting woozy at hieghts is vertigo. i dunno maybe vertigoaphobia
Old 01-16-2004, 06:25 PM   #26
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Oh yeah I also forgot to mention that 5 second long screech the Witch King makes in ROTK when he emerges from Minas Morgul. OUCH!!!

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #27
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely every time Boromir is hit with an arrow. Also, when the Nazgul drops the men onto Minas Tirith from a great height...that creeps me out.<BR> <BR> Also, when that creepy orc stabs that dying guy right in the heart in Osgiliath. That was definitely uncalled for.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:59 PM   #28
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
1420!

Fear of hights is Achraphobia (sp), and I have a little case of it too!<P>Anyways, I cringe and just go "ooh!!", <P>ROTK-when the orcs are around a nearly-lifeless Parn, and they just stick the spear in him <P>ROTK-when Sam is sleeping on the very edge of that cliff above Minas Morgul (very protective of Frodo and Sam)<P>ROTK-when Frodo is stung by Shelob, and when Sam is about to be stung in his duel<P>ROTK-Just by the mere sight of Gro..Gro...OH NO....GRO.....GROND! *twitches histerically*<P>ROTK-when Gollum bites Frodo's finger off<BR>off "OUCH!"<P>ROTK-when Denethor is set on fire (I cringed, then giggled when Gandalf said, "So passes Denethor, son of Ecthellion.") (sorry Meela! )<P>ROTK-when Pippin is in excruciating pain from the Palantir<P>ROTK-every time Gothmog (the orc captain with the eye missing and his head crushed in) came on the screen <P>ROTK-when Denethor is eating, with the blood-like juices oozing out "Blah!"<P>ROTK-when Denethor tells Faramir that he would rather have him die, and Boromir live. HOW SAD!!!<P>ROTK-when Merry almost hits Eowyn with his sword. Close one!<P>ROTK-with most of the Battle of Pelennor Fields.<P>TTT-when Haldir died <P>TTT-through 53% of Helm's deep<P>TTT-when the wose (wild man) declared his alliegance to Saruman.<P>FOTR- Boromir's death<P>FOTR-when Galadriel said, "one who has seen the EYE!" <P>FOTR-in the meetings with the Nazgul *Bucklebury Ferry scene*<P>I know there are more, but I think this pretty much covers it.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:38 AM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When Boromir was hit by arrows I didn't exactly cringe, I just went 'noooo, duck!' The noise they made, whoooosh....THUMP, almost made me feel as if I was being walloped in the chest. And the look on his face, the way it was filmed and the way he reacted... very powerful. So I didn't exactly go 'ooooh', I went 'whoosh... THUMP' instead.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:27 AM   #30
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

ROTK - The crushing of soldiers bodies by boulders, oliphaunts, trolls.<P>ROTK - Smeagol killing Deagol. Not that bad but makes me cut with Gollum and feel sorry for innocent old Deag's.<P>TTT - Aragorn beheading Lurtz by the Great River.<P>FOTR - Aragorn being tossed by cave troll in Moria.<P>ROTK - Witch kings screeching is nasty.<P>ROTK - Denethors fire fall.<P>Note: Most from ROTK but probably alot more from TTT and FOTR that I can't recall at the momento.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:20 AM   #31
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When Denethor fell off the cliff. <BR>'Nuff said.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought that scene was totally <I>usaila</I>. Okay, I think it was stupid. I'm sure Meela would agree with me if I say that they sort of "degraded" Denethor with that death.<P>Enough about that... I cringed when Shelob turned Frodo into a living mummy. That was funny, but it made me cringe anyway.<p>[ 8:24 AM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #32
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

<B>Goldberry</B>, I completely agree with your nomination of Sam's tug on Gollum. Rather similar result to the Saruman scene first described (which I note no-one has agreed with yet ).
Old 01-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #33
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In addition to what I wrote above about Boromir's cut finger, I'd have to add the scene of the Nazgul entering the Prancing Pony and "stabbing" the sleeping hobbits just as Sam opens his eyes in surprise. There's also Bilbo's infamous snarl as he tries to grab the ring when Frodo tries on the mithril shirt. Also, in ROTK, every time Gandalf smacks someone with his staff, I cringe.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #34
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm sure Meela would agree with me if I say that they sort of "degraded" Denethor with that death. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Anything Denethor does or says is pretty darn perfect, but yes I don't really agree with the leap of death. I would rather he had done all the writhing and screaming while standing on the pyre.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #35
thephantomcredits
Animated Skeleton

thephantomcredits has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I see the Uruks busting through the deeping wall in two towers, When Aragorn sends the elves to charge. There is one elf that is impaled as Aragorn is busting through, I always really feel sad when I see him.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:00 PM   #36
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
In the extended Two Towers DVD, when the wild man swears alligance to Saruman in Orthanc, and cuts his hand with his knife.
Definitely that one. The other one is where in TTT the guards take Wormtongue and throw him down the stairs. That has got to hurt. Quite honestly, the part where Boromir cut his finger on the shards of Narsil made me laugh. I don't know why, but it might have been the following "still sharp" comment.

Last edited by Firefoot; 03-25-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #37
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

1) When Boromir gets hit by arrows in the FotR<BR>2) During the Balrog falling scene in the TT<BR>3) When Sam falls the rest of the way while climbing down the stairs in the RotK, I just went "Ouch!" there, forgetting how stupid it was that he was going down in the first place
Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 AM   #38
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

if you look REALLY carefully in TTT when theoden and crew ride out, you can see an orc get slashed across the face and for a second it shows him screaming and a huge gash across his face...<P>another "ouch" for me is when the orcs try pulling up the really big ladders (storming the keep) and one of the ladders get shot, then falls back...<P>orc: "wheeeeee-" *crunch*
Old 01-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #39
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>ROTK-when Sam is sleeping on the very edge of that cliff above Minas Morgul (very protective of Frodo and Sam)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I almost forgot about that scene! Suppose one of them rolls over slightly...
Old 01-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #40
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, when that creepy orc stabs that dying guy right in the heart in Osgiliath. That was definitely uncalled for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd say so - that's a definite cringing part for me. Also:<P>ROTK - Sam and Frodo sleeping on the cliff (I understand that they have to sleep but - couldn't they have picked a better spot? *shutters*)<BR>ROTK - When Frodo's finger is bitten off<BR>ROTK - When Smeagol kills Deagol<BR>ROTK - When Frodo's stung by Shelob <P>TTT - The Balrog scene (poor Gandalf )<BR>TTT - The swearing of alligence and the cutting of the hand (you know what i'm saying Bleh)<P>FOTR - Boromir getting hit with the arrows<BR>FOTR - EE when Boromir gets tossed by the Cave troll while he's holding it's chain (His look before he's tossed is priceless! It's like oh crap, this is gonna hurt )<BR>FOTR - When Pippin gets thrown (tossed, swung -whatever you want to call it) off the Cave troll<BR>FOTR - When Frodo get's stabbed by the Cave Troll (noticing a pattern with the Cave troll?)<P>Sure there's more but that's all I can think of <P>

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote