The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2002, 08:31 PM   #1
Coolk

The Eye Is anyone else here a Boromir fan? He ROCKS!!!!

Weird as it may seem, I'm a big fan of Boromir! I don't like Denethor or Faramir, so why is that? Anyone else like htat?
Old 10-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

While he's not my favorite, I think Boromir's pretty cool.
Arwen
Oh, by the way, nice screen name [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 PM   #3
Coolk

Sting

Cool...
Old 10-22-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dűm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Boromir is awsome! But he's not my favortie. He's really cool though. I would have to say either Frodo, Sam, Merry, or Pipin are my favorties.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
Faramir Took

Pipe

I am a huge Boromir fan. He is my second favorite character. Everybody says that he's bad because he wanted to take the Ring, but I say he just wanted to save Gondor. So, to all you fellow Boromir fans, I take my hood off to you. (Balin: The Hobbit)
PS
By the way, I am Faramir Took. Glad to meet you all.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i do agree but not agree - boromir is really kewl, but he's not my favourite. i don't like faramir or denethor as much either. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I ADORE Boromir! He is my favorite in the 'Fellowship'! My heart breaks everytime I watch the movie and he dies...

It's NOT just that I think he is terribly handsome either. I love the character, I LOVED the way Sean Bean portrayed him in the film. I love Boromir for his loyalty to his people and his city. His courage and strength. The fact that he showed very human characteristics and he was honorable enough to admit and repent of his mistakes!m [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I like Faramir too, but don't like Denethor much.
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:42 PM   #8
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Ummm, you're not supposed to like Denethor.

I like Boromir. I find him to be the most fascinating, three dimensional character that Tolkien created. He is a good person thrust into a situation that makes him into a bad person, but he's still good at heart. This is the stuff that dreams are made on.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never saw Boromir as a 'Bad' person or the 'bad guy' of the group. He was desperate to help his people, save his city and please his father (which are very human characteristics). He did not completely understand the evil power of the ring. He doubted the reasoning to destroy it and not use it against their enemies.

He was a good man but not perfect and didn't always make the best choices (just like everyone); he was strong, valiant, honorable and everyone thought so, just look at what each character said about Boromir in the books, I don't think any of them said anything bad about him:

Aragorn: "He is a Valiant man"

Eomer: "Great harm is this death to Minas Tirith! That was a worthy man! All spoke his praise. He came seldom to the Mark, for he was ever in the wars on the East-borders; but I have seen him. More like to the swift sons of Eorl than to the grave men of Gondor he seemed to me, and likely to prove a great captain of his people when his time came."

Pippin: "And Boromir of your city was with us, and he saved me in the snows of the north, and at the last he was slain defending me from my foes."

"Little service can I offer to your Lord, but what I can do, what I would do, remembering Boromir the Brave."

Frodo: "There was no contention in our company, though there was doubt..."

"Boromir was a valiant member of our company." "Yes, I was his friend, for my part."

(Faramir to Frodo) - "Then you would grieve to know that he was dead?" "I would grieve indeed," said Frodo.

Gandalf: "Poor Boromir! I could not see what happened to him. It was a sore trial for such a man: a warrior, and a lord of men. Galadriel told me that he was in peril. But he escaped in the end. I am glad."

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Boromir's Lady ]
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:27 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

A thing that Tolkien said about him was (I can't quote it exactly or cite the letter now, but this is pretty accurate if my memory serves): "People who say that my characters are only either 'all good' or 'all bad' are forgetting Boromir."

(Who else thinks that we should have a little "Horn of Gondor" icon for our posts???)
Old 10-24-2002, 06:51 AM   #11
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Wow!
It has been a month since I've been here because I've been so stressed out wiht my final exams which finally ended today!
YAY!

Boromir!
He is in the list of my favourite characters since he's not the goody goody or the evil type..
I really think he rocks in the book as well as in the movie. I loved the part where he died with many arrows in his body..it made me cry...

But i DO like Faramir...i like it when Faramir and Eowyn are nursing together...they're just so sweet.
But Boromir is a favorite!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 10:50 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I laughed a lot when I read the title of this thread. So enthusiastic!

And I totally agree.

BOROMIR ROCKS! TO THE MAX!!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #13
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To tell the honest to goodness truth. When I first saw the movie (unfortunatly I saw FOTR before I read FOTR), I disliked Boromir alot. But since I've read the book and watched the movie many times over, I've come to LOVE Boromir! I get all choked up every time I watch the movie, read the book or even THINK about Boromir. Anyway, Boromir ROCKS!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #14
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I bought the book Fellowship of the Ring one night, read a few chapters, and watched the movie the next night. I thought it was sad in the movie when Boromir died, but after reading the book, I cry now whenever I see him die in the movie. It's just so sad!! I read an article on the internet about how most people don't see Boromir as a hero, but he really is. It's a really cool article!
Arwen
Old 10-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Quote:
It's a really cool article!
Could you give us a link? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #16
Lucretia

Sting

I don't like boromir for some reason. No, not because of the whole where he tried to take the ring. I think Maybe one reason I don't like him is because he seemed so dumb. I mean, You can't use the ring. He knows that. People much smarter than him, who obviously knew what they were talking about and had good intentions told him, and he seemed to understand but not want to accept it. Once he knew he couldn't convince them, why not give up? or at least pretend to give up and thentake the ring, I dunno, during the night?? I just never liked him.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:25 PM   #17
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

OK, I hope I did the link right... It's not just about Boromir, it's about heroes in LOTR, but it does talk about how Boromir is a hero. Hope y'all enjoy the article, and I hope the link works!
Arwen

A Hero By Any Name
Old 10-24-2002, 05:42 PM   #18
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Thanks! I also read the film review (I get link happy) and thought it was pretty good except for the concluding thought that teens shouldn't watch it. Har. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 07:01 PM   #19
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Oh, yes. I liked all their articles except for that concluding thought [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen
Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 PM   #20
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had to write when isaw this lead. I love Boromir! I liked his chacter better in the books, he was portrayed much kinder and more noble. He would never have handled the Shards that way as he did in the movie. Sean did a great job showing how torn Boromir was between the task od destroying the ring and wanting to save his people so badly that he would consider using it. I beleive as a man he new less of the magic power of the ring and found it hard to understan that his and his fathers power and good could not control it. This made him an easier target for the rings manipulation. Alos his dad wasn't so bad just old and desperate and I think this lead to him just losing it in the end. No hope left. He only knew power and war,
Old 10-25-2002, 07:17 AM   #21
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Boromir is my idol...yes its true. Boromir deserves the applaud and praises as i found his character interesting...very interesting but it has to ended in such tragic.
Protecting Pip and Merry againts the Uruks was a noble deed and eventhou he fall from battle but he kept his Honour.
Sean Bean did a great job in bringin Boromir to life and what a wondefull job did he did. Kudos to Sean Bean!!! Boromir live forever!!!
Hey orlandoandsaran welcome back!!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:53 AM   #22
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

boromir wasn't by nature, evil-he was royalty, and being royalty tends to give one "i want it and i want it NOW" type attitude. the fact that Denethor favored him most likely amplified this. not saying he was some sort of spoiled brat; he had good intentions and a resilient spirit, which made him mature, just that underlying attitude was more vulnerable to the corruption/seduction powers of the One Ring. the cold hard proof he could be snooty at times was his vain reply to aragorn-"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." this also shows he may have had disdain for folk of lesser import-he was the son of the steward of gondor, aragorn was some wandering vagabond with a sword, to him. in the end, yes, he was ultimately redeemed-lays down his argument and contempt for aragorn, and disavows his desire for the ring. but enough of my ramblings.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:02 PM   #23
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

I think what really indicates that Boromir was a "good guy" is how sad Faramir is at his death. Despite Denethor's favoritism, the two brothers managed to stay close.

I'll just quote the passage from Appendix A (iv) Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion, The Stewards:

Quote:
Yet between the brothers there was great love, and had been since childhood, when Boromir was the helper and protector of Faramir. No jealousy or rivalry had arisen between them since, for their father's favour or for the praise of men.
I feel really bad for Faramir when I read the part where he recounts to Frodo his encounter with Boromir's funeral boat.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:43 PM   #24
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dűm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Only twice in my life have I cried like a baby in a movie theatre: at the end of Braveheart, you know... "FREEDOM!", and when Strider bent over the dying Boromir in Fellowship. My emotion was spurred by the same basic principle.

Both men embodied strength, determination, and, more over, a passion for a noble cause greater than themselves, even to the point that most others would break. Boromir was decieved by the ring, true. But in the end he looked into the eyes of that noble cause and pledged, "my brother, my captain, my king". He, like William Wallace, embodies those virtues that I would like to possess. Long live the memory of Boromir, Man of Gondor!
Old 10-26-2002, 01:55 PM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

denethor is the best!!!!! but i also love faramir and boromir [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i always go for the small characters [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

celeborn is another best
Old 10-26-2002, 03:08 PM   #26
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
denethor is the best!!!!!
Uh-oh, I sense a pyromaniac! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I kind of "liked" Denethor too. I mean, not if he was a real person I had to put up with, but his role in the story made for very interesting reading! I love the part about looking into the palantír and only being able to see two hands withering in flame *shudder*. I will always be a sucker for insane characters. You can explain anything they do! (And they're especially fun to write about if you're an author. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 10-26-2002, 06:17 PM   #27
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Boromir is awesome!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:14 PM   #28
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Lord Tohlos has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Borormir rocks! Best character in the books, if you ask me, which your not. Best character. He is better then Strider, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Legolas (especially him, thatwalkin on snow, leavin no footprints, pointy eared elf!) and Gandalf. The only one that comes close to being the best character in the books is Gimli!

"Elves? Pah! I would rather fight with an army of Orcs then fight with Elves!"
Lord Tohlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:27 AM   #29
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Man you don't know how much I LOVE Boromir. When he road up in the movie I poked my sister in the ribs nad said, "Look it's the B-Man!!!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Aside from his many great qualities which you guys have expanded on he exemplifies the theme of forgivness and redemption that permeates Tolkien's work. The B-Man is TOO COOL. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Hey i've got a theory. Do you think that Boromir sort of thought of himself as Pippin and Merry's protector. The movie and the book show this in detail, He rode in the same boat as Pippin and Merry, he asked Aragorn to give them a moment to grieve. In the movie he practiced with them and carried them over the gulf during the bridge collapse.Hmmm, what do you think. Anywho his death scene is almost unmatched in all of Middle-Earth. Almost. Anyway you slice it the B-Man went down HARDCORE!!!
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:33 AM   #30
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi!
Well Borimir is not my favourite but i dont like the way people go feral at him for trying to take the ring. Firstly he only wanted to protect Gondor, secondly did anyone consider it wasnt his fault? After all the ring is the ROOT OF ALL EVIL it was the ring, not his nature that polluted his mind and made him INSANE. Also in the movie I dont like the way they blow up the whole Borimir-Aragorn thingy, they make it look like they want 2 kill each other everytime they meet!
Cya later
Old 11-13-2002, 01:05 PM   #31
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Túroch, here is a thread that talks about Boromir's relationship with Merry and Pippin. I can't remember instances in the books beyond the end where he fights the Orcs to protect them, but I agree that in the movie it was definitely played up. (And I like that part...I don't get people who think he was portrayed as totally evil in the movie...whatever.)
Old 11-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #32
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I'm so happy to see people who are enthusiastic about the characters in LOTR not just because 'He's/She's sooo cute!' etc. I'm glad you guys appreciate them for their individual characteristics and personalities, and are not shallow like others can be! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also like Boromir very much. He was very valiant, patriotic, and strong-minded. Although he did somethings that are not so great (and who doesn't?), he's one of my favorite characters (the list changes constantly, though). [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I like the way that Tolkien made his characters so 'down-to-earth' in a sense, meaning they are a lot like us, and have the same faults as us. Many fantasy writers make their characters so unreal that it is hard to enjoy the story because we cannot relate to them.

Praise be to Tolkien! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

This is merely speculation on my part, so bear with me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] :
I would think that there was a feeling of almost animosity between Aragorn and Boromir. Aragorn was the rightful King of Gondor, and Boromir did not like that fact because he feared that it would make his and his father's positions seem unimportant. After all, they did much good for the White City, and loved her with all their hearts (well, maybe not Denethor). For all this to be taken away suddenly by a King that has suddenly appeared after all these years had to have been quite a shock! Both Aragorn and Boromir were very proud men, and it is always hard to set aside pride. I think the portrayl of this feeling is accurate in the movie, especially when Boromir says: "By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe." Helllooo!! What were the Rangers for?!? They consistently, year after year, protected the lands of "folk that are heedless," in the words of Bombadil, earning only contempt and scornful names. It was wrong for Boromir to say that, yet maybe he did not know?

Ok, I'm done. Whew!

Thoughts and comments are, of course, always welcome. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe I should have posted this 'essay' in the Books forum? Oh well! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:41 AM   #33
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

he adds a very human element to f.o.t.r. and i do like him but hes no where near my top 5 lists sorry
Old 12-09-2002, 07:45 PM   #34
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey James T. Kirk, I will 'GO SEE NEMESIS'!!

*ahem* I feel sorry for Faramir when his dad says 'I wish you had died instead of Boromir' (or something to that effect)... but, Boromir indeed rawks. Sean Bean was perfect for him as well, with his glinting eyes and clenching jaw... and yes, I cry too *cries*
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:09 PM   #35
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked both Faramir and Boromir and I really can't wait to see Faramir in the next movie. Sean Bean was BRILLIANT as Boromir, he was just perfect.
I didn't like Denethor, he was just soo mean to Faramir.
Quote:
Is there a thread against Legolas? I'd gladly join!
I would too! I can't stand all this, aahh ohmygod its Legolas, hes sooo cute!
it really annoys me

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:22 PM   #36
Errand-Rider Karigan
Pile O'Bones

Errand-Rider Karigan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At last! A thread worthy of our noble Man of Gondor. Boromir is my hero... he is faced with so much suffering and grief and war and strife, and yet he's still noble and honorable and true... obsessive, mayhap, but only to save his beloved City! ::sigh:: There was great love for Boromir from the men of many lands, for he was a hero; fearless, bold, brave, and dedicated to the saving of Gondor.

But what's with the Denethor bashing? Denethor was made hard by Echthelion and Thranduil in his youth (imagine having your father's love stolen from you by a stranger!) and then by the loss of Finduilas (his wife) later in life. Stewardship weighed hard upon him. I personally like Denethor; he is an example of what I call a hopeless man- Gondor is in such shambles during the war of the ring he doesn't know what to do. But he's got strength left, and dignity too. He couldn't stand to see the White City fall... not after all he'd invested into it. That's why he commited suicide; rather then face what he thought was inevitable and watch the remaider of his life collapse, he'd rather just go.

Poor Denethor. But I love him anyway. I'm just a sucker for that family, I guess.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 AM   #37
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I like Boromir but he's not my favorite of the characters in the LOTR...For my favorite you'd have to look to either Frodo or Sam because they are tied for #1 with me!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:52 PM   #38
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir is definatly my favorite character. In the book he's awesome. Sean Bean did a great job of portraying him in the movie. I think he had all the best lines.

Quote:
They have a Cave Troll.
Halarious!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt, over so small a thing... such a little thing.
Quote:
I only ask for the strenght to defend my people!
Who doesn't like Boromir? YOU!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]