The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #2441
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Azaelia if you are itchin' to get back into WW, I encourage you to join Mithalwen's WWJ that will hopefully be starting up soon. It'll be back to the original gaming.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #2442
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Yes! Please do! We are eager for more players!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #2443
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I changed my mind. I disagree with double lynchings. I see no real problem with the game taking a few days longer. Thanks for your eloquence, Eomer; good reminder. .... signed, the most unbandersnatchy LMP.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #2444
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Due to the fact that I thought the issue was settled (Nilp! What did I tell you about putting down your foot as Mod? You are Mod and they are not!), I have not yet weighed in on the Double Lynchings issue.

I say NO Double-Lynchings.

I do not like them, and I agree with Eomer as to most of my reasons why.

I find that Double-Lynchings being permitted are very prone to being used for orchestrated lynchings. I'm personally of the opinion that Single Lynchings are more truly indicative on later days for finding voting trends, and they are more enjoyable games.

Just my opinion, o' course.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #2445
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, isn't this interesting? I go out on a limb and say no to double lynchings and before I know it everybody agrees with me? I've started a bandwagon, and that's very suspicious!

++ SamwiseGamgee

Oh, wait a moment... can't do that! But the real point: when will the game start? I haven't been able to find the date, but I imagine that's entirely my fault because I just didn't look.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #2446
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I believe it starts on Tuesday.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #2447
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Thankee, kind sir!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #2448
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Long time, No Garin.
I had to make an excellent spinach-artichoke dip for a 'baby shower' yesterday and then had to attend said baby shower. If you could just see the looks on the face of the men...

Great time

Okay.

1) No double lynchings

2) I said I didn't care but 5:30 if I must vote....

3) I will be the town surgeon/barber

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #2449
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I thought the decision of double lynchings was already made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilp
~ Double-lynchings are back in (due to village size; this might take long if I don't.) Triple-lynches and higher are not.
At first I didn't want to have the double lynchings either. I agree with Eomer about them, but let's face it: this village is huge. With 22 players the game might take almost three weeks if the villagers are killed just one by one, and it is quite a commitment to moderate such a big game. It should be up to Nilp to decide whether he allows double lynchings or not because he's the one who needs to get online punctually, write death scenes and manage the game from the beginning till the end for nearly three weeks.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #2450
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Exactly. My concern is that it is hard for anyone without the gift of foresight to be able to commit to such a long period of time without RL jeopardising their ability to play.
It is always annoying when players have to absent themselves, even through unforeseen circumstances, and I fear a very long game might be riddled with such absences.
Eg I was originally told the game would last a fortnight, which is fine, but without double lynchings this game could run on for well over three weeks...I'm going on holiday on April 4 and I hope the game would be over by then, but there may be others with similar concerns, what with it being Easter break...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #2451
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
but without double lynchings this game could run on for well over three weeks...
I disagree but I have a rather consistent lynch potential, this is why Nilp should add the cursed or the werebear.

I say more roles should trump double lynches.

I know 'tis more work for Modilp but I must quote a classic movie:

Quote:
Shanna, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #2452
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I thought the decision of double lynchings was already made
I realized that but I wanted to add discourse to the the WW community and haven't been able to in the past few days so, being a relentless windbag, I though I'd opine on the discussion.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #2453
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn
I thought the decision of double lynchings was already made...
In post # 2412 Nilpaurion said double lynchings are in. However, votes were requested, and therefore some of us voted ... late. Quite a few of us have apparently thus registered our preference for no double lynchings; despite that, Nilpaurion still has not changed his ruling; therefore, as things now stand (unless Nilpaurion changes his mind), there will be double lynchings.

That said, I think that the points made against double lynchings make a lot of sense in terms of a good game, and I like Garin's idea a lot that adding a werebear to the mix would effectively and more naturally shorten the game than allowing double lynchings.

That said,() until and if Nilpaurion changes his mind, there are going to be double lynchings.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #2454
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
While I have no experience in the matter, I have been convinced by the various arguments made against double lynchings.

As for a profession, has lumberjack been taken?
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #2455
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
littlemanpoet (wb by the way, sir) : I like Garin's idea a lot that adding a werebear to the mix would effectively and more naturally shorten the game than allowing double lynchings.
I am weeping openly for all to see..

I think this is first time anyone has agreed with me.

I need to breathe into a paper bag, now.

By the way, what is the best thread to discuss the homicide/suicide that took place at my apartment complex?

This will be a great game because I am officially 'bonkers.'

I'll go now.

I won't drop out because I think that I am destined to be in a Nilp-modded game. This will be a great game and I can't wait to be lynched in the 2nd round.

Did I mention that it was a son that gunned down his mother? It is like the 80s movie "Pretty in Pink" but with more gore.

When I show an aversion to lynching/killing people you will understand.

Anyways, let the games begin.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #2456
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Quote:
In post # 2412 Nilpaurion said double lynchings are in. However, votes were requested, and therefore some of us voted ... late.
Lmp, are you talking about voting for or against double lyching? In this post of Nilp's I don't see a reference made for voting on the double lynching. I may be a bit confused, so just to clarify, was the vote not for roles like Ranger, Hunter and others, also for a start time?

Another thing, what is a Werebear and how does that role work? I have heard of that role, but have yet to play in a game with one.

And one other thing....Has anyone seen or heard from our Prophet?!
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #2457
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garin
I am weeping openly for all to see... By the way, what is the best thread to discuss the homicide/suicide that took place at my apartment complex?
I'm sorry for your distress, Garin. Glad you're happy with my agreement, although that may be a double-edged sword around here .

To answer your question, try
That good night: gift or punishment? - rather poignant at times. It may be of some aid to you in the difficulties you describe.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #2458
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! No werebear! I've been converted to the no camp! Sure, it'd be great fun to be the werebear, but I really do think it ruins the spirit of the game, and as a villager in a werebear village I can tell you it's horrible! So that's all you need to know Naria! Also, not sure I got this right, but if you put a werebear AND disallow mass lynching you virtually hand the game to the werecreatures, most likely the bear. Anyway, it's up to Nilp, but I think I know which way it'll go.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #2459
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Don't want the Werebear. I think there are already enough teams in the village without adding another Werecreature.

I don't mind double lynchings, but vote against anything larger than doubles due to concerns over the previously mentioned lynch all male/female players at once strategy.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #2460
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Azaelia if you are itchin' to get back into WW, I encourage you to join Mithalwen's WWJ that will hopefully be starting up soon. It'll be back to the original gaming.
OOO, Good idea, since it looks as though there is no room for me here A back-to-the basics game looks like fun! *hurries over to sign self up*
Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #2461
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
No Bear. Good heavens! We've already got two separate teams whose goal is to kill everyone!

Also, as I've said before, adding any other "wild card" elements (like the Cursed) will diminish our ability to judge how well the Lovers element works.

I'm with Celuien on lynching. The reason I don't like games that disallow double lynchings is that, in my experience, single-lynch-only games can lead to more careless voting. It effectively means that the moderator will eliminate the consequences for people who couldn't be bothered to check the vote count before voting. Oops! Caused a tie? Didn't bother to vote when you could have broken a tie? No worries, the moderator will clean it up for you. And it goes without saying that these are prime wolf-vote hidey holes: "But I didn't know there was a tie!" Spare me.

Now, there is another problem that Celuien brings up, though: the orchestrated mass lynching. This is something that I think is against the spirit of the game--we could indeed eliminate the lovers by lynching all of one gender, but that's like catching dolpins in your tuna nets. So I think I'm in agreement with Celuien that double lynchings should be allowed, but triples and higher should not be.

Those of us who don't like to use double lynchings (and I'm one of them, btw) should campaign against them DURING THE GAME; but the rules shouldn't be set up to save the day from careless voting.

All of this is sort of a general rant, though--I am happy to play no matter what the lynch rule is. I guess I'll have to mod a game myself someday and set the rules just the way I like them.

This is going to be a very long game, though, as Lalaith says. I am a little concerned about that, but we'll just have to let it play out.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #2462
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hey, it's not my mod anyway. So there ain't gonna be a werebear 'cuz Nilp said no. I see the point against it anyway in a Lovers game. And I agree with no mass lynchings. Spirit of the game and all that. I think Naria's query in my direction got answered, so I'll shut up now.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #2463
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Quote:
Sure, it'd be great fun to be the werebear, but I really do think it ruins the spirit of the game, and as a villager in a werebear village I can tell you it's horrible! So that's all you need to know Naria!
Thanks Swg, good enough for me!

Quote:
I think Naria's query in my direction got answered, so I'll shut up now.
No no, don't shut up just yet....one question was not answered. Where is Nilp?!

A new question: Does anyone know what time the game starts on Tuesday?
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #2464
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye Sorry 'bout that.

Apparently, 'Vous ne pouvez pas passer' was meant for me.

Enedwaith, here are the final decisions.

~ YES Double lynchings, for fears of a trés long game (I wouldn't mind two weeks, but three? )

~ NO Ranger and Hunter (sorry for flip-flop; lynch me if you want ), due to balance issues. (Four Werewolves with a traitor in their midst against two Seers, a Ranger, a Hunter, and a lot of innocent villagers? Tough!)

~ NO Werebear, obviously (this was my second option, but since Formendaga told me to put my foot down and not be swayed away from the Lovers-centric idea . . . )

~ DAY/NIGHT cycling time is 5:30am GMT.

NIGHT 1 will start tomorrow. I will be posting the game thread (with all the rules) later, I hope.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #2465
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

So this will be like the original Werewolf game, only there's an additional wolf, an additional Seer, an expanded village, and lovers thrown into the mix.

Quote:
No, no, nooo!!!

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 03-13-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #2466
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
I'm with Lhuna...

No, no, no, no!

Expect more than a few early votes from me, people...

Quote:
~ NO Werebear, obviously (this was my second option, but since Formendaga told me to put my foot down and not be swayed away from the Lovers-centric idea . . . )
Oh yeah...

Okay, stick with your 5:30 times! Just don't expect me to like them.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #2467
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Oh, yeah. You can expect way early votes from me, too. Like three hours into the game, more often than not.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #2468
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Early votes from me also. From almost 10 hours before the closing time to about three hours before the voting time...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #2469
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ditto...except it'll be five hours before closing at the latest.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #2470
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
My voting for the next week or so should all be shortly before closing time. After that, it's going to vary.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #2471
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It won't matter if most of the votes are early, because most of the discussion will be early too. Ipso, facto.

The Werebear... *shudders* If that had been introduced I would have walked.

Anyway, hoom, hroom....time to get into character.

Here's hoping for a good game everyone!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #2472
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm just checking, but isn't the game beginning about twelve hours from now?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #2473
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Correcto mondo, Thinlómien. Oooh, I can hardly wait. It'll be an early rise for me in the morrow!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #2474
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

em...has anyone had their roles yet?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #2475
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't had. I wouldn't worry, though, plenty time left for Nilp. We could get the PMs at 5am, remember, so no need to worry.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #2476
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks, Samwise.

Plenty of time indeed...

But I trust Nilp to do it in time. Though I'm really excited. I would like to know my role soon.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #2477
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I haven't recieved a role yet, either...

The game should start(if I calculate correctly) 12 hours and 54 minutes from whatever time is listed for this post. So he has that long before he's late.

Last edited by Gurthang; 03-13-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Gurthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #2478
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Twelve hours and 54 minutes? Eleven hours and 54 minutes, if the time is 5:30 AM. Right?

And as anyone hasn't yet got the roles, I think Nilp hasn't just posted them yet. Don't worry, Thangy.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #2479
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Twelve hours and 54 minutes? Eleven hours and 54 minutes, if the time is 5:30 AM. Right?

And as anyone hasn't yet got the roles, I think Nilp hasn't just posted them yet. Don't worry, Thangy.
I thought it was twelve... let's see: I'm GMT - 6, so that should be 11:30 pm (right? I'm no good with international time. ). My post time reads 10:36am. Add 54 minutes makes 11:30am, twelve hours before start time. Well, I don't know that it really matters. I'm pretty sure that when it starts, I'll find out for sure what time it is for me. Makes it easy that way.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #2480
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I thought it was twelve... let's see: I'm GMT - 6, so that should be 11:30 pm (right? I'm no good with international time. ). My post time reads 10:36am. Add 54 minutes makes 11:30am, twelve hours before start time. Well, I don't know that it really matters. I'm pretty sure that when it starts, I'll find out for sure what time it is for me. Makes it easy that way.
Hmm... I think I was counting my time as GMT... So I think we all were wrong since since I'm GMT +2 and the game begins a bit more than 12 hours and 30 minutes from now. Or actually, then you were correct... Argh. This makes me confused. Anyway, I will be sleeping when the game starts, so I don't have to worry about the time so exactly.