The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Hobbit Hole full of Mathoms

Doing some idle Sunday browsing and I found a video of a Hobbit house this chap had built purely to house his ever growing collection of Tolkien goodies.

Hobbit House

Now, I might make it more low slung and green than he has done, but I'm still eaten up with jealousy, especially about the mathoms inside it. So, enjoy this and feel the urge to yell "Want!"
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
WANT!

Quote:
Now, I might make it more low slung and green than he has done, but I'm still eaten up with jealousy, especially about the mathoms inside it
I concur about making it more low and green. The mathoms - I love the Tolkien library he has there, but I'm not much of a fan of action figure -type of thing. However, except for books and figurines/statuettes he has lots of, well, mathom - pipes and whatnot (well, mathom!). Want want want!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A door perfectly formed for any 'hobbits' coming home from the pub and already keeling over.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
WANT!

I concur about making it more low and green. The mathoms - I love the Tolkien library he has there, but I'm not much of a fan of action figure -type of thing. However, except for books and figurines/statuettes he has lots of, well, mathom - pipes and whatnot (well, mathom!). Want want want!
I don't think I would make it lower but I am rather tall.. youwould lose the lovely beams.. love the way the door is basically a giant porthole. Ideally and I appreciate that that is the local stone but I would prefer it in golden costswold stone and paint the wood work.. the door at least or have paler green oak, And I wouldn't have the figurines.. not keen on figurines and less keen on dusting but lots of lovely shelves....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think I'd try and go for a 'living roof', either grass or mosses (and that would be all green, too, so even more Hobbity) and have it more scruffy and plant-filled around the door, but the interior is lovely.

And I want to go and sit and look through his bookshelves and mess with those maquettes. He looks like a nice man, I think he should offer field trips.

I am laughing though, because of my theory that all blokes need a shed to escape to - this guy has the best shed ever made. And he admits his wife has to call him back into the house.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yeah I thought it was the ultimate man shed.. but then it occured that it would be a perfect Mithalwen shed too... Green rooves are nice but if you don't have a proper hill it might tip into Tellytubby land. And this does look very like Tolkien's own pictures of hobbit houses.

A lot of eco houses seem to have hobbity elements becasue green rooves and building into a hill is energy efficient. Sure the prof would have approved.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Love the house. Saw this other video alongside. What struck me wasn't so much the different "Hobbit Houses", but the song called "House of Tom Bombadil" by a band called Nickel Creek. What a great jam:

House of Tom Bombadil
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I came across yet another Hobbit shed today when I was looking at entrants for Shed of the Year 2012 (I am a sheddie).

Hobbit Shed

This is in America again, it's not as luxurious though, he only keeps his lawnmower in there.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
How charming! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have second homes just for our Tolkien things where we could fancy ourselves modern-day hobbits.