The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #41
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Could some kindly Admin type Downer please repair the frightful damage done to alatar's rep by replacing the red rep button with a green one and adding the lost point to his rep count? I'm sure he will be relieved and obliged if this could be done, to say nothing of the public scourgings that he has prepared for me.
Admins - there is no need to take any action. I will cherish this red rep for as long as it lasts as it will always remind me of Bethberry's red face.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #42
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I will cherish this red rep for as long as it lasts as it will always remind me of Bethberry's red face.
You're assuming a bit much, as it's an easy mistake to make in a hurry. Why, I have a neg rep from an Admin--only it's blue/grey on my monitor--which I assume is a mistake because the comment that came with it is positive. It's no big deal.

What is interesting, though, is the fact that you gloat over someone's assumed discomfort or embarassment, especially when it arose over a generous attempt to publicly acknowledge a good post of yours.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #43
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wait, so if an Admin gives negative rep it shows up as blue/gray?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #44
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
It's no big deal.
Much agreed. It's been a slow news day.

Quote:
What is interesting, though, is the fact that you gloat over someone's assumed discomfort or embarassment, especially when it arose over a generous attempt to publicly acknowledge a good post of yours.
I apologize; had the ability to attach an image to a PM existed, this would not have been here, as well as your subsequent explanation of the issue.

Again, for more disclosure, what I personally thought amazing was that, after receiving this kind and generous rep from Bb, and thanking her for it via PM, it took *weeks* for me to notice that it was red, as obviously I knew that she meant it to be green (though it's now she may be seeing red, and not just on my cheeks). And I pretend to be observant.

Aren't you glad you started reading this?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #45
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Wait, so if an Admin gives negative rep it shows up as blue/gray?
This is probably a, um, grey area. More than likely it's my monitor that differs from those of others, which is why alatar felt compelled to produce Exhibit A for my enlightenment and not deglutition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
though it's now she may be seeing red, and not just on my cheeks
No. We are not red-baiters up here.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #46
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Why, I have a neg rep from an Admin--only it's blue/grey on my monitor--which I assume is a mistake because the comment that came with it is positive. It's no big deal.
I was thinking I'd seen on one of the threads discussing the reputation system that blue/grey boxes meant the rep came from someone with too few posts, or something like that. That might have been before the system was changed a few years ago, as that certainly shouldn't be the case with an admin. I'm honestly too tired to look it up right now, though.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #47
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
This is probably a, um, grey area. More than likely it's my monitor that differs from those of others, which is why alatar felt compelled to produce Exhibit A for my enlightenment and not deglutition.
So I cannot eliminate Admins from my witch hunt of who gave me negative rep. I have some suspects.

I am going to add a thank you here to whoever gave me positive rep without a message at all.

Last edited by Hakon; 07-28-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #48
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I was thinking I'd seen on one of the threads discussing the reputation system that blue/grey boxes meant the rep came from someone with too few posts, or something like that. That might have been before the system was changed a few years ago, as that certainly shouldn't be the case with an admin. I'm honestly too tired to look it up right now, though.
My bad, then. Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Inziladun.

Although, years and years ago, it was the wont of certain Admins and members of ancient sitting proudly to proclaim their scarcity of posts.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I wish there was a feature that automatically informed people who was repping them!
Not because I'm having a problem with anyone anonymously repping me, but because I must be the world's worst when it comes to remembering to sign it when I rep. About half the time, I forget and don't realize it for hours.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #50
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Same here. I wish it would insert my sig automatically, or at least my user-name. I've never given a bad rep, but I have frequently forgotten to sign.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #51
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I agree with both of you on that. Mostly cause I forget to sign sometimes and I want to know who gave me negative rep.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #52
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
I wonder if some kindly young corpse would be so helpful as to link me to a thread that explains what this reputation business is all about? Turns out, after being absent for over five years, my triumphant return is marred by an anonymous negative rating for a poll I once posted about Oliphaunt preferences (friendly or bloodthirsty? what's yours?).

Clearly the valid and pithy authorship of such a gem is not appreciated by the youth of today. Here's hoping my aged neural net can grasp the basics of this system. Like, where's the button? What does it look like? Why is life so unfair?

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #53
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhitetree View Post
I wonder if some kindly young corpse would be so helpful as to link me to a thread that explains what this reputation business is all about? Turns out, after being absent for over five years, my triumphant return is marred by an anonymous negative rating for a poll I once posted about Oliphaunt preferences (friendly or bloodthirsty? what's yours?).

Clearly the valid and pithy authorship of such a gem is not appreciated by the youth of today. Here's hoping my aged neural net can grasp the basics of this system. Like, where's the button? What does it look like? Why is life so unfair?
This ought to help.
The anonymous reps are annoying, but half the time I myself forget to sign when I rep, so I can't be too critical.

And Oliphaunts were rather like elephants: faily harmless when left alone, but trainable to become aggresive and violent.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #54
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
And Oliphaunts were rather like elephants: faily harmless when left alone, but trainable to become aggresive and violent.
Actually, real elephants are very territorial and quite aggressive without training.

One example of this behavior comes to mind. In 1937, elephants were devastating the farmers of Mozambique. They were protected then and had seriously grown in numbers to the point where in some areas they had actually started to take over the farmlands. People were starving to death in the countryside because elephants were rampaging through their crops and eating them before they could be harvested. When the native Mozambiquans tried to shoo them away with sticks or thrown rocks, they got trampled and/or gored. Hundreds of people died this way alone, while thousands of others were starving.

It got so bad that the Mozambique government opened elephant hunting on an unlimited basis for a few years.

How's that for thread drift: forum reputation --> elephant behavior.

Last edited by Andsigil; 12-20-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #55
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
How's that for thread drift: forum reputation --> elephant behavior.
I've still got it!

Thanks for the link, Inziladun.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #56
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How about signing a Neg Rep so I can address your "concern" about my "appropriateness." or get a sense of humor, Thank You
Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #57
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Just for curiosity's sake, who is 'Gaius Iulius Caesar'? (I heavily suspect Form, but you never know...)
Anyway, thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #58
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
For some reason half the time when I click the reputation button to give reputation nothing happens. Does anyone know why this could be happening?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #59
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
For some reason half the time when I click the reputation button to give reputation nothing happens. Does anyone know why this could be happening?
Try right-clicking on reputation button, and open it in a new window. It should work for you then.

As for *why* it happens, I've no idea... but I've had that problem since the last major forum upgrade, which is a few years ago now--but not consistently. I've learned to just open it in a new window/tab when it doesn't work.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #60
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Thanks, Formy!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #61
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Since I switched to Google Chrome, I don't think I've had any trouble at all giving rep.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #62
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Empirical evidence suggests it only happens in threads with multiple pages.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #63
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

I've tried and tried to "rep" someone, and it's just not working. Wondering why?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #64
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I usually click the post number then in the new window the rep button works
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #65
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
I've tried and tried to "rep" someone, and it's just not working. Wondering why?
Did you recently turn off Java because of the security flaw? I did, and found that the mouse-hover function and all drop-down tabs were unusable here.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #66
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly View Post
If you right click on the rep scale and select "open link" or "open link in new window" it should bring up the rep page.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #67
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thanks, Boro. That worked just fine.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #68
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boro's suggestion works on all threads that are longer than one page. (I don't know about Morsel's.) It's threads that go over one page that seem to cause the glitch.