The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Jef Murray

I hope against hope that this isn't true, but it is being reported online from good sources that Jef Murray has died suddenly. He is one of the few artists whose Tolkien pictures I enjoy and it feels very sad that there not only will be no picture this Tuesday but no more "Tolkien Tuesday" pictures ever. I only spoke to him online and briefly but I am sure others will have met him and know him better.

Such very sad news and condolences to those affected.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
It is, very sadly, true that he has journeyed to the far green country under a swift sunrise. Confirmed by his wife and posted by Carl F. Hofstetter on the Mythopoeic Society's Facebook page. A sudden heart attack at the very young age of 55. Ted Nasmith also wrote a moving tribute to their friendship and Jef's contribution to the Tolkien community on his FB page.

I knew him slightly--bought Black and White Ogre Country from him and discussed with him his illustrations, which I thought captured the whimsy of the vignettes so well. He was a gracious and kind soul as well as a superb illustrator, although I have to admit that I found his interpretation of Tolkien too rigid and doctrinaire. Our world views were worlds apart. Yet he contributed much to the study of Tolkien and fantasy.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-04-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Hail and farewell

I first found the news on the Tolkien Society's website, a source I trusted. My condolences to all those who knew of him and who cared about him.

It's nice that you were acquainted with him, Bęthberry.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote