The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #281
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

'73 was a great Tolkien year, apparently - that's when I first read the books too! A warm welcome to the club, Faenaduial!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #282
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for your welcome Estelyn. I saw your recent post about needlework designs.

Quote:
Many posts ago (page 3 of this thread - I really had to hunt!), there was a link to a site with pictures of the Númenorean tile and the emblems Tolkien drew. Alphaelin mentioned using them for needlepoint designs. That got me started thinking about the possibilities of Tolkien-inspired patchwork.
I'll be interested to see pictures of any of your work. I like to applique and plan to take a look at the designs and give them a try. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 PM   #283
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Faenaduial, welcome to th' thread an' th' site!

Please Click Me.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:22 AM   #284
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Bird, did you order your clear bookcovers, and do you like 'em? I checked out the page; thanks, Sharon; if I majored in hardbound books, I'd go for it.

I just bought a beat-up copy of MacDonald's "What's Mine's Mine" that might be worth a roll of the clear covers, anyway, just to keep that one book from further falling apart. And speaking of falling apart, it looks like some silverfish got to the binding:
scroll down to picture of binding

and I'd hate to have them infest the rest of my books! As in, my Tolkien collection... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

My question is, should I be worried about whether there were (shudder) eggs laid in the book after they munched it? And if so, what should I do?

Sharon, what would you do?

Meanwhile, I need to make room on my Lewis/ MacDonald shelf for it. That means the Fairy Tales & Myths will need a shelf of their own... whee! maybe under the Tolkien shelves... seems fitting...

--Helen

ps. On another note, How's the needlework going, O ye nimblefingered elvish ladies?
Old 03-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #285
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Found this, Helen:
Quote:
Silverfish found in books and documents can be killed by exposure to microwave radiation. Olkowski et al. (1991) recommend placing books in a microwave oven for a period of 30 to 60 seconds to kill silverfish. Caution should be used with books or documents containing color plates or in fragile condition.
I never cease to be amazed at what you can find on the 'Net.

BTW - I assume the caution about "color plates" might have to do with the fact that there might be metals in the inks - so keep a close eye out if you do this!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #286
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Heh! Great idea. But first, I'd better get rid of the salsa smell in there. That would be NASTY...

Bird, I thank you, and my books thank you!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:41 AM   #287
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ooooo! Now it feels nice and toasty. I roased it in six ten-second bursts, checking it in-between... The "gold" lettering & pattern didn't spark, so I guess it's just a sparkly paint (thank God!)
Old 03-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #288
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

If you keep bay leaves between the pages it helps repel pests, too.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:49 AM   #289
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ooooooo! Ooo oo oo! Now that's worth buying another bay tree over. My last one croaked; dunno why.

Ithilien grows again in my office!
Old 03-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #290
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

In answer to your question about the needlework, Helen, I'm at the most interesting, difficult and time-consuming part of any patchwork - finding just exactly the right fabrics. The actual sewing is easy, comparatively. But nothing to show yet...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #291
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Silverfish found in books and documents can be killed by exposure to microwave radiation.
Microwaved Silverfish? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Good to know, though--gotta remember it...*scribbles it down, 'cause her old Hobbit brain probably won't). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
*******?*******
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #292
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(crunch-crunch-crunch) Hmmmmm, not bad, if you add a little salt. (crunch-crunch-crunch)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:09 PM   #293
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

*smacking her lips* Eh...I don't know, Miss Birdie...it ain't right...no garlic, no onions, no taters...
Old 03-16-2003, 01:21 AM   #294
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

With regard to needlework, I am trying to pick a design for an embroidered or needlepoint wall hanging. I want to use an elvish theme for this and have seen several nice illustrations for Rivendell and a few for Mirkwood. Rivendell is colorful and Mirkwood would use alot of dark colors with silver thread.

I'd love to hear your opinions on which you would like to see.

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Faenaduial ]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:15 AM   #295
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Having recently posted in the Geriatric's Club I'd like to thank Mithadan for the link to this thread.
I have enjoyed this site immensely since I found it (entirely by accident) last year. I hung around for a few months, reading the posts, trying to answer questions in the Quiz section etc and finally plucked up the courage to join in!
I first read "The Hobbit" at the age of eleven. I had won a small prize (a book token) for doing well at school. The assistant in the bookshop, trying to be helpful, was pointing me in the direction of Enid Blyton and Eleanor M. Brent-Dyer (this was 1964)
However, I was struck by a display which featured a large map....so I wandered over and picked up...... "The Hobbit".
"Oh, you won't like that," she said "it's about a little dwarf who lives in a hole!"
Five minutes later I was the proud possessor of my first Tolkien book and I have been hooked ever since!
I had the great pleasure of reading both "The Hobbit" and "The Lord Of The Rings" to my son and although he is of the "Star Wars" generation he still reads and appreciates Tolkien. In fact, he introduced me to "The Silmarillion" about ten years ago.
As a devotee of the books, I approached the movies with a certain amount of trepidation....Would the Elves be silly "Vulcan-like" creatures.....Would Boromir be a Viking......Would Aragorn be a modern "Action Hero"???
I was pleasantly surprised. There were one or two quibbles of course, but on the whole a definite thumbs-up!!
Old 03-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #296
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the thread Eruanna!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 07:43 PM   #297
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Eruanna! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Some of us have posted our pictures Here
Member Pics If you are interested in seeing our faces.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:15 PM   #298
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just found the link to the pictures. It is nice to put faces to some of the names.

Saucepan Man: Your children look so sweet.

Mark 12_30: Helen, I love your outfit. Did you buy it in Hobbiton or Bywater?

Lynn
Old 03-19-2003, 08:31 PM   #299
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lynn,

Why thanks. Actually, the very inexpensive breeches came from a rather large shop in Buckland with the odd name of Walmart. The shirt is an old one purchased in a faraway city. The jacket also came from across the Brandywine River, from another oddly named establishment, The Dress Barn (that's a story in itself.)

Various weapons, staff, and cloak were from Raefindel's wardrobe and graciously loaned to me for the afternoon.

The bare feet, in February, cost nothing but a chill, nicely remedied afterwards as I recall by Raefindel's excellent tea.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #300
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

That was fun Helen, wasn't it?

Thinking of selling the cloaks on E-bay. What do you think?

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 PM   #301
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Fun?? Rae, if that was fun, then Mt. St. Helens is a sand dune. I had a BLAST that day. Probably the most fun I've had in... well, a LONG time. I sure wish you lived in-state. I mean, in my state.

Selling cloaks on ebay? Sure. I wonder if you could sell them here on the downs; they sell tee-shirts & such, and those elven brooches.

(Pout-- nice coffee gone. Sad Helen. More?)

How do you make it?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:57 PM   #302
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Here's the recipe, Precious...

fireside coffee

I often use more instant coffee that is called for , and only 1 tsp cinnamon, not
1 1/2 tsp.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #303
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for the link to the pictures Raefindel. It was lovely to be able to put faces to names!! Some are just as I had imagined....others completely different! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #304
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Eruanna, hullo! *bows as best he can* You've seen the picture page? ACK! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Hope mine didn't scare you! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~*your friendly neighborhood gardener*~
Old 03-20-2003, 05:56 PM   #305
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Speaking of pictures, Alatáriël, that's an awfully cute avatar of the "Little One." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Weird. Working with preschoolers, that is SO much what he reminds me of..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 04:53 AM   #306
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Raefindel
Greetings! I would be interested! XL green.I have been spending some time on ebay checking out costumes, boots,and Elvish style jewerly. plenty of rennasiance or sca stuff but very little non massed produced Tolkien treasures. Lets chat.
Alquadae
Old 03-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #307
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

No Problem! Sounds like we can find you something.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:05 PM   #308
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Oh, Miss Rae, that sounds LOVELY!!!! (hint)
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #309
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Speaking of pictures, Alatáriël, that's an awfully cute avatar of the "Little One." Weird. Working with preschoolers, that is SO much what he reminds me of....
Samwise: Thanks. There were a whole series of pictures of Elijah taken (I think) in Toronto that this one came from. He is such a cute little boy. I find him strangely attractive, even though he's 8 years younger than my son.
**Wow, that sounds weird, but...I just enjoy looking at his pictures.**
~Lynn
Old 03-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #310
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

You're quite welcome. I found a pic of him as more of a little boy than he is now. He was ADORABLE! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Being a little over 10 years his senior, I will think of him as a "cute little boy" when he's forty. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #311
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Some of us are "Radio Flyer" fans. Heavy pop-psych!!! And for those into pop-psych, Bumblebee was fun too.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:48 PM   #312
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Bumblebee broke my heart. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Of course, if you've read too many of my posts on different things, you've probably figured out that it dosen't take much to break my heart) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].
It was very good, though...yet I found myself...
Okay, for those of you who haven't seen "The Bumblebee Flies Anyway"----SPOILER!!
Ahem. When "Barney was about to jump out the window and follow his friend, yelling all that stuff about how he was only going to die anyway and the dr. and the others are trying to convince him not to jump, I found myself yelling,

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]"No!! You still have to see New Zealand!!" [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:53 PM   #313
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

'Nother thing about Bumblebee (an age thing)
In the first scene where they first show 'the boy', and they're taking all the medical stuff off of him...my first thought was,

"Somebody FEED that boy! "

Jeez, is he [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
skinny!

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 03-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #314
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

'kay, this is the last post I'll do in succession, I promise....
My mother gave me an issue of 'PARADE', with the 'Little One' on the cover (which is why she gave it to me). Actually, it's of his face, and it looks like he hasn't shaved for a day or so.
I talked to my good friend (who's a man) about it, saying, "Jeez, he at least could have shaved." and he, in his 'guy wisdom' said,

"Well, he has a baby face (NO... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). He dosen't want everyone saying, 'Oh, he's so cute....'

(LOL! TOO LATE!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

I guess from a 22-year-old boy--er--MAN standpoint that's so, but...

Sorry, Little One, for some of us a little facial hair AIN'T GONNA WORK!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 03-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #315
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Somebody on this forum once said, "He brings out every maternal instinct which I possess." I think perhaps she was not alone. I had always thought if I ever adopted, it would definitely be a girl. After FOTR I changed my mind.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:19 AM   #316
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I found that the whole concept of despair and memory (referring to Barney Snow) circled back around to Frodo's despair after the war; Legolas' resting in his memories, and Frodo unable to do that, but having to go to the West to have his memories "fixed", or put into the proper light.

The whole psychological implication of "fixing memories by removing them" I find a killer. Literally. A good friend of mine went through every other therapy known to man, and finaly they tried electroshock on her; I called her a few days later, and she didn't remember who I was. "My husband tells me, that I do know you..." I went to visit her, and I got that same blank look that Barney is so good at.

I think that's why I found the movie so haunting, especially the last scene; that white shirt symbolizing the clean slate, the blank page, echoed by the pleasant but blank stare.

We have the "Barney Snow" methods; we need the "Elvenhome" methods... My friend, despite all their memory removal techniques, is dead anyway. Her third attempt was a success. She needed to go West instead.

I wonder if Tolkien's war experience told him that Frodo had to leave, that there was no healing for him in Middle-Earth. I wonder if my friend knew that too, or if she just despaired. I like to think the former but I fear the latter.

[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #317
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Oh, Helen.....(I should OWN Kleenex co., I really should....) I'm so sorry. If by "West" you mean "up", at least you have the hope of meeting again one day, and she will remember you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I know what you mean about the end....the girl walking into the room and "Barney's" "Hello", but it was like he'd never seen her before and they had previously begun to have such a wonderful relationship.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] (Oh, why dosen't Plauder Smileys work anymore so that I can put one of those SOBBING faces here!!)
Old 03-22-2003, 12:36 PM   #318
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Thanks, Sam. Rae is right, you are a treasure.

She was such a lady; refined and sophisticated, gentle, kind. The last time I spoke with her, we were sitting on my garden bench. She surprised me with a gift shortly after that, and then she quietly moved away, and that winter she was gone.

Yes, she knew him. We prayed and worshipped together often, and studied the scriptures, which makes her despair all the harder to endure. Someday perhaps we'll laugh about it; at least we'll celebrate the King together.

If I ever meet Mr. Wood, I'll thank him for Barney Snow; watching that movie was like soul-surgery, or like focusing a lens on the whole story. Suddenly things snapped into place. Frodo was all well and good; but Barney Snow was, to me, his most gripping role. I guess it's all what a story connects to.

Then again, maybe when Frodo sails west next year, it'll all come crashing down. Ugh-- I dread it.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #319
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

(Miss RAE!!!!!!!! Now you shouldn't ought to go talkin' like that!) [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Dread it...so do I, Miss Helen, so do I.....

Oi...Yes, Barney Snow was quite a role for the little fella. Sigh. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] There were a couple of portions (thankfully only a couple, which was a pleasant surprise) where I would have liked to grab that little man's ear, led him down the hall to the bathroom and made him eat SOAP, [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] but sadly, in movies made by folks in this world, that "stuff" is to be expected. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ah...how wonderful that your friend knew Him. In that case, I look forward to meeting her, too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 03-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #320
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Rae, how's business? Floral stuff? Cloakmaking?

I went tramping thru the woods with another hobbit: yesterday afternoon, and again this morning; we've gotten addicted. Guess we'll just have to explore the whole reserve, 1 1/2 hours at a time.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]