The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Question If there was one scene you could add?

If there was one scene could have added to FOTR, that wasn't there from the book, what would it be? I would have to go with Tom Bombadill. Sure, the scene is kind of pointless and out of place, but still, it would have been cool. Besides, Tom's nonsense rhymes would have made a nice change from so much of the seriousness of the movie. Though I generally skip a lot of the poetry in LOTR, I also wish more of it had been included in the script. How about you?
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 10:47 PM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

If I were to add anything, I'm not sure it would be any particular scene, but I would definately lengthen scenes and add back in the missing conversations. That is where I feel most of the "personality" is found. the characters in the movie seemed like mere shadows of what they were in the book because they never had any conversations. <P>Good topic, Master Clawarrow.<BR> <p>[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-14-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am still seething over the blatant omission of the gift-giving scene in Lorien. That was such an important part, for the gifts that Galadriel bestows upon the Fellowship help them in so many ways. Also, I don't think enough time was spent on Lorien in the first place. And they definitely needed more dialogue overall to help develop the characters. But oh well, the movie is still the best!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #4
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dūm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would like to see Frodo stand up to the Nazgūl on his own at the Ford. I love that part in the book, and I think it's important to his character development.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #5
Varda

Sting

well it's not really a scene but I'd have loved for Pippin to have said that line from the book about Sam and a wicked plot to steal his blankets in lothlorien. I can just imagine how Billy Boyd would have daid it.
Old 04-14-2002, 01:55 PM   #6
Ereinion
Animated Skeleton

Ereinion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ereinion
Sting

I'd love to see Gil-galad and Elendil actually fighting Sauron and defeating him. That would have been my favorite part of the film. I think it also would've helped people realize how much was sacrificed to take away the ring, with the deaths of the Kings of the two greatest nations left on ME. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the 1 minute long (slight exaggeration) Last Alliance scene. It was supposed to be one of the most massive battles of all time. O well.
Ereinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 02:49 PM   #7
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

I'd either put in Tom or add more to Lothlorien. ^_^ I thought it sounded magnificent in the books and was relatively disapointed with all that we got.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:34 PM   #8
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the barrow wights scene would have been good to add. (Thanks to everyone who explained it to me ) It would help people understand where the hobbits got their swords from. I think in the movie Aragorn just gives them the swords out of the blue. <P>I agree about the Lothlorien gift scene. I would have also liked to have seen Gimli's crush on Galadriel! It's very sweet and helps soften his character up a bit.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'd have to agree that the Lothlorien scene really should have been longer. It's like they were there one minute and then they were gone. Does anyone else think that the friendship between Legolas and Gimli was really underplayed in the movie? The dialouge as a whole wasn't as strong as it was in the book, I think.
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 03:49 PM   #10
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with the barrow wights and lothlorein because I think it clarifies the story for those who haven't read the books.<P>Personally, I would love to have seen the Tom Bombadil part. I've always loved description of his house. When I'm stressed it's one of the places I take a mental vacation.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:17 PM   #11
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[qoute] well it's not really a scene but I'd have loved for Pippin to have said that line from the book about Sam and a wicked plot to steal his blankets in lothlorien. I can just imagine how Billy Boyd would have daid it.[/qoute] I Love that line.... one of my favorites...
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:23 PM   #12
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The gift-giving scene. It would have cleared up a lot of stuff that might get dicey later on; the lembas issue, for example. You could lose an awful lot of subplots because that one scene; Gimli's crush on Galadriel, Sam and his box of earth etc, Sam's elven-rope, etc. And while a lot of it will probably get worked in somehow (there's a still out there somewhere which shows Sam with a coiled silvery rope by his side) after a while it's going to be like "Hey, where *did* Pippin get that brooch anyway?" "What's lembas" "Where did Sam get the rope from?" etc.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

If it was a choise between adding Tom and lenghening Lorien I'd choose Lorien. If they had managed to get all the scenes and dialogue from it it would have been great.<P>I'd also would have liked to see the part where Sam sees Gollum on the Great River and he tells Frodo about it.<P>Oh I almost forgot! I would have liked to see Sam throw his apple at Bill Ferny back at Bree. So when they return in RotK Merry can say "Do you think you killed him with that apple, Sam?"<P>I know those last parts are not very important but they make me smile.<BR>*sighs* this is difficult.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #14
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hard choice. I think probebly the conspiracy unmasked, it would add some comic relif, and also give a better reson why merry and pippin were involved.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #15
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

To Lomelinde, and others...<BR>The Lothlorien scene is one of the scenes that will be lengthened in the director's cut DVD to be released in November. So, we should get to see a lot more of that then. Also, I believe they will have at least one more scene about Gimli and Legolas in there.<P>As for the scene I would've liked ro see... I would've liked the barrow downs scene. That part creeped me out & since it was Tom Bombadil that saved them from that, then his part would need to be there as well.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 01:50 AM   #16
Peregrin Boffin
Pile O'Bones

Peregrin Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would have loved to see more of the Shire and for Aragorn and Legolas to sing their song for Boromir.
Peregrin Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:20 PM   #17
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have loved to see Old Man Willow.... oh and it should have been mentioned that Gollum continued to follow the fellowship from Moria. More of Lothlorien, the gift giving scene etc. Oh, and how about Gandalf telling the story of the ring at the council of Elrond? And more time should have been devoted to the decision not to follow Frodo and Sam at the breaking of the fellowship. I would have liked the Waags to have been in there too. And a little bot of explanation about the hobbit background. Dialogue between Bilbo and Frodo - it should have been made clear that he is his nephew and heir. And how about Gaffer Gamgee? I went to see it with someone who hadn't read the books, and at the end I mentioned the master servant relationship between Frodo and Sam, and she said 'Oh, he's his servant? I wondered why he kept calling him mister...' She's not the brightest spark, but it wasn't exactly made clear!!!<P>Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:51 PM   #18
BoromirTheBold
Pile O'Bones

BoromirTheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BoromirTheBold
Shield

I would have had Aragorn and Legolas singing the Lament for Boromir. Or the Bath Song at Crickhollow. (C'mon, the hobbits boys can't be THAT bad looking, can they?? )<P>I was informed that as well as more Lorien scenes, there is supposed to also be more of the Last Alliance. (Otherwise, how would I be finding all these cool pics of Gil-Galad?)
tercano nuruva (the Herald of Death

Hlasta! Qyetes (Listen! it speaks to)
Hfirimain: (Those who were not born to die: )

The Ringspell...
BoromirTheBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:55 PM   #19
Peregrin Boffin
Pile O'Bones

Peregrin Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They also should have mentioned that Sam was a gardner. I wouldn't be surprised if people who hadn't read the book would have been wondering what he was doing in the hedges.
Peregrin Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:07 PM   #20
Daecuiel the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Daecuiel the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daecuiel the Elf
Sting

I'de prob'ly add the part with the gifts of Galadriel. I really wanted to see it! *sigh* Oh well. I'de also add in Tom Bombidil, though it add about an extra hour. Or the Barrowdowns, but that would have to go through Tom, but maybe they could find another way to escape... Well, that's it!<BR>~Elfy
Agh Burzum-ishi Krimpatul

~Elfy
Daecuiel the Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:09 PM   #21
LeriumRedlark

Tolkien

I would have wanted to see the Fog on the Barrow-Downs chapter put in the movies, i loved that part, also Tom and his beautiful wife, also, they should have told Bill the Pony's story, because they didn't show Bil Ferney, so people do not understand Sam's relationship with that horse if they didn't read the book
Old 04-17-2002, 04:44 PM   #22
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

All of this just proves what my 8-year-old said after we read the last page of Return on the King..."They should have made four movies and put everything in."
Old 04-17-2002, 05:13 PM   #23
BoromirTheBold
Pile O'Bones

BoromirTheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BoromirTheBold
Shield

Okay guys, (and gals)....<P>The Gifts of Galadriel, at last check, WILL BE ON THE DIRECTOR'S CUT DVD and VHS. It comes out 12th November, 2002.<P>It will not, however, be on the August release of FOTR, as that is only the version they sent out to theaters. That one is out 6th August, 2002.<P>More Last Alliance is also supposed to be on there. Unfortunately, Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs are not.
tercano nuruva (the Herald of Death

Hlasta! Qyetes (Listen! it speaks to)
Hfirimain: (Those who were not born to die: )

The Ringspell...
BoromirTheBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:04 AM   #24
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

If I could add a full scene, I would add the<BR>all merry-pippin story (there's a hole chapter<BR>on it in the FOTR).<P>However, if I could add just a few sentences,<BR>I would add either Bilbo at the White Council<BR>or Pippin saying "The Lord Of The Ring Has<BR>Awaken !" when Frodo wakes up at Rivendell.
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #25
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it's a tie between the conspiracy,and the sun fetching(that would be nice to see),hope there's a lot added to Lorien
cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 12:41 AM   #26
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Barrow Downs, Gimli-Galadriel or Legolas on Caradhras (so cute).
Old 04-22-2002, 08:30 PM   #27
Cynthia Edwards

Sting

I would like to add the scene in the Shire where they meet Gildor and the Elves so Sam would have his moment of discovering the Elves. Also, I would like to see them arriving at the 3 stone trolls and making the connection to Bilbo's story. In Lothlorien, I would love to keep the moment where Frodo discerns Nenya on Galadriel's finger. I agree with the others who said that Sam's job as gardener should be made clear, and also would like to see Bilbo at the Council of Elrond.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:15 PM   #28
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

TOM BOMBADIL!!! His character adds so much mystery. It reminds one that Middle Earth is much bigger than even the ring. The intro makes it sound like Middle Earth is the ring. What the movie seriously lacks is character depth. All of a sudden, Legolas and Gimli quit the mean jabs and become friends. Why, one asks? The Lothlorien scene was pathetically brief (you can bet I’ll buy the DVD for that scene extension), so that we never see the transformation of Gimli. And, after rereading LoTR, I found that the Lorien scene in the book felt like summer, complete with golden sunlight and elanor flowers. In the movie it was dark and gloomy looking, and Sam never saw elanors! Okay, so I’ve complained enough. I must add that the Great River scenes were exceptionally well done and I was quite happy to see that Aragorn’s ancestors cast in stone still stood guard over the river. I have enough faith in Peter Jackson to know that he’ll work out the gift-giving scene somehow.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:49 PM   #29
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I agree that the gift giving scene should be in, but it will be in in the November DVD...I would have like Crickhollow to be in...the bathing scene would have been very funny , but more importantly, the 'conspiracy' would be revealed, and it would be made clear that Merry and Pippin are quite aware of what is happening and are going with him because they are friends.<BR>Half an hour more on the extended DVD should help with some of the areas that seemed too rushed in the movie. I can live without Bombadil
Old 04-25-2002, 11:06 AM   #30
Cesca

Thumbs up

can't wait till the dvd for the gift giving scene! then it shows all the major things which help the party members etc. etc. (notice how Legolas' bow suddenly changes)<P>i definitely think frodo fending off the nazgul by himself as that was one of the coolest lines in the book,"by Elbereth and Luthien the Fair..you shall have neither the Ring nor me!!" it shows how brave he is rather than getting wallopped all the time by trolls.<P>but i also think the barrow wrights...(i mean seriously...does one guy carry around like 5 swords with him at all times????? just in case?) that was a bit ridiculous..
Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM   #31
Kyela_Frodo
Pile O'Bones

Kyela_Frodo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the scene with Tom Bombadil and Goldberry! (and the song Frodo sings at the Prancing Poney! hihi)
Kyela_Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote