The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting Uruk Hai

Yes Uruk Hai. The most awesome of the orc species. I love them their sooo awesome. Now tell me in the books they were fierce and showed no mercy, and in the movies they softened them up a bit. Tell me what is wrong with this picture.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:16 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi! Sounds like you're looking for comparisons between the book and movie versions of the orcs. I'm moving this thread to the Movies forum, where others who are interested can read and answer.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I didn't think that they softened them up at all! They were rather mean and viscious in the movie as well as the book. Even more so perhaps, eating one of their own kind! <P>How did you mean that they softened them up? They seemed pretty nasty to me.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Jjudvven. They certainly seemed more ferocious and beastly and less human in the movies than they did in the books, at least to me.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yeah, sorry Gashberz but seems like a bad call. They were totally more barbaric and animalistic. Much more one-dimensional, their entire motivation seems to be that they were evil, working class peasants (at least in the TTT with their accents). <P>Uglśk and Co may have chopped a few necks in the book, but no Orc ever ate another one. Even they didn't practice cannibalism. You only have to read Robinson Crusoe to see what Tolkien probably would have thought of that! As a matter of fact, doesn't Grishnįkh insult Uglśk by saying he probably eats Orcs' flesh?<P>Hopefully PJ shows the "lighter side of Orcs" with the conversation between the captains in Torech Ungol. But I don't have a lot of faith that it will happen. Trust not to hope, it has forsaken these movies several times already.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

That is a rather grim assessment of the movies, doug*platypus. Personally I have had no major problems with the orcs in Peter Jackson's movies. The changes in the orcs were made because mass audiences want gruesome, "monster"-esque villains. I do hope, however, that the scene in Torech Ungol will stay true to the books (you can't hope for too much similarity though, given the current trend with the orcs in the movies).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Uglśk and Co may have chopped a few necks in the book, but no Orc ever ate another one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that that is accurate. Either Gandalf or Aragorn states at one point that it is "their way" (meaning the orcs) to eat one another at times of scarce food resources, and it was even implied that orcs kill and eat orcs of different breeds simply for the sport of it.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think the Uruk Hai were softened up a bit at all. I think they were pretty fearsome and fearocious if you ask me.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree that they were fierce and eveything, but why did they stop and complain? There was one line that one of the Uruk Hai said, "We ain't had nothin but maggoty bread for three stinkin days." I thought that a regular orc should've said that. So I'm kind of half and half on this one.<P>Burzdol
Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

I don't believe the orc that said the "maggoty bread" line was an Uruk. It was shorter, had a hunchback and was more smarmy and humanlike than the fiercely-portrayed Uruk Hai.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> eat one another at times of scarce food resources <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Umm... yeah, that might be near the part where Gimli talks about the central nervous system. Where in the book was that again?<P>It wasn't very clear, but I meant that no specific incident occurs in the book that we are told about, where orcs eat one another. It may have happened at some isolated times or places, but it certainly wasn't common practice as Grishnįkh's comment shows.<P>I'm quite disappointed with the movie treatment of the orcs. It is understandable, but I don't see any reason why the writers <B>had</B> to follow the norm. I personally believe very little in "good" and "evil" as protrayed in Hollywood. There are many, many instances in the books where evil is shown to not be entirely so. Not just Gollum, but orcs, Sauron, Melkor, a southron warrior, the Dunlendings, the list goes ever on and on. <P>However the scriptwriters of these movies elected to go the old predictable way, on yet another ill-advised departure from the written word. It's basically been turned into Braveheart or The Patriot, where the enemy has no heart, moral code, or basically any human emotion. They exist for the sole purpose of being the enemy of the good guys. This is a dangerous way to portray a war, because this concept can leak its way into peoples' sub-conscious, and for some even affect their view of any real conflicts. In times of war, politicians and generals systematically dehumanise the enemy, try to transform them into some kind of devil so that it will be easier to kill them without pangs of conscience. I'm not suggesting that every war movie should be an endless rant about how even the enemy has emotions, but surely there has to be a middle ground.<P>The way the orcs have been dumbed down is just another case of the book in general being dumbed down to give a more traditional Hollywood feel. I think it's a shame, because the story is worth so much more than that kind of treatment. Orcs represent the darker side of human nature and what we as a pretty barbaric species are capable of, but the point is lost entirely if they are only ever portrayed as animals.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:39 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't believe the orc that said the "maggoty bread" line was an Uruk. It was shorter, had a hunchback and was more smarmy and humanlike than the fiercely-portrayed Uruk Hai.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I'm pretty sure that it was an Uruk-Hai. It's face is the main thing I'm basing my opinion on, but I also don't remember seeing anything BUT a face. No hunchback, etc. I'm sure that the orc that refused to go any further until they 'had a breather' was not an Uruk-Hai, & there is complaints among those 'regular orcs' about all the running in the books, so I dont' think they were weakened any. Also, I agree with Lord of Angmar that somewhere in the books, it did give reference to them not being above eating there own kind. Seriously, Uruks have absolutly no preference as to what kind of meat they eat.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:09 AM   #12
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

And the Orc that wanted "some meat" seemed completely out of place. Beady red eyes and aeroplane wing ears. However, I would side with the majority on this thread and agree that the Uruk's were pretty scary looking.