The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
Question why do people dislike lord of the rings?

i have always wondered of this. as some of you may have read in some of my replies i have talked of my sister who hates lord of the rings. there are a few of my friends who like it and some who hate it. what makes people like lord of the rings and on the other side of the scale what makes people hate it?

your views please

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, one of my friends from school, one of my very smart friends at that, said she didn't like it because she couldn't understand it. She said it was too confusing for her.

But my other friends and my siter hates it really, because it is a fantasy book. It has to do with made up creatures and unbelievable things and they just don't like things like that. They like love stories. That's it.

{And don't get me wrong, I know there was somewhat a "love" part to this story. But they don't care. It's not ALL Love.}

Anyway, most of my friends just don't like to read. So they don't. And they won't see the movie because they hate fantasies. Don't know why. Cause it's cool!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:47 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, why do people really hate anything? It's hard to say what makes someone hate something.
In some cases I really think it has to do with peers and what is considered "cool". Most people probably consider Lord of the Rings to be something that only those "wierd people who roleplay" like. Others probably honestly have a general fear of literature. It is quite a book to read, and most people probably don't consider even giving it a shot.
Other people just tend to dislike anything that is fantasy...
People are just all different. I may love Lord of the Rings but I guess I am the same way as people who hate Lord of the Rings by saying that I hate Dawson's Creek. It must all be in the brain combined with who you hang out with and what your day to day life consists of. Most people who I know that love fantasy and Lord of the Rings are people who are looking for a sort of escapism. People who sometimes wish they could live in another world where pop culture doesn't have such an overwhelming affect on society.

Well, I don't really know if that answers your question... but I don't think that it really has just one plain and clear answer.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:47 PM   #4
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think it's just a matter of personal opinion. Why do some people drink Pepsi while others drink Coke?

Personally, I think people are crazy if they don't like LotR [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ Happy Time 43, 72: Words altered via: Davin ]

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Davin ]

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:52 PM   #5
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

I think the lenght may have something to do with it....most of my friends would never read a book for fun, never mind three. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tolkein's language ,like C.S. Lewis's, leading to some complaints that it's "too dry."
Old 08-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #6
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In some cases, I would say its a case of 'I hate what I can't understand.' If they find the book too long and too hard going, and don't come to appreciate the full depth and richness of the story etc, a sad instinct in people is to say they hate it.
Or else they have it typecast as a book only read by weirdos who can't handle real life. (yes I've actually heard a friend say that!).
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #7
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Perhaps that's a question for an anti-Tolkien forum. I wonder if any exist.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #8
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I think some people think it's too long of a book.
When my aunt saw that i was reading it she asked did i have to read it for school. People don't seem to realise that you can read a book of over 1000 pages just for fun.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:36 PM   #9
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
Sting

Many of my friends don't like reading at all and that's why they just saw LotR movie (some didn't like it becouse of the violence in it). Some liked it, some didn't. One of my friends read the hobbit (and she liked it very much) but she finds LotR boring, so she has only read FotR. And another friend read the first chapter of The Hobbit and she found it boring... and now she doesn't want to read LotR and she probably wouldn't read any other Tolkien works... I don't know why don't they like it, maybe it's becouse of the story... Anyway, I love LotR (who here doesn't???) and I think that is the best book ever written [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 03:53 PM   #10
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like many of you, I think the main reason people do not read it is because it is a BIG book! Or even if you split it into three books, they are still good-sized books!

The reason my sister does not like it that is because it is "Boring because it has WAY too much history in it, I just want get along with the story!"
*sigh* I guess some people just do not appreciate historicle depth in books. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
~M

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 08-27-2002, 04:06 PM   #11
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I believe the reason some people do not like LOTR is because they do not understand it. Generally, people don't like what they can't understand (take science and the paranormal as an example if you like).

Tolkien's works are deep and full of meanings, which makes them the length they are. That is another thing that will put someone off reading the books. The time that it would take them to complete it, and the time it would take for it to sink in (two very different things when you read such a book).
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 04:31 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I don't feel it's as much that they don't understand it as that Fantasy just isn't for everyone.

Many people are certianly intelligent enough to understand it, but have no interest in unreal things. My husband reads only "users handbooks". He feels if he isn't learning something practical, it isn't worth his time. Fantasy holds no interest for him.

The amusing thing is, these people usually end up married to someone like me who loves fantasy. Try that out for an interesting marriage!

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 08-27-2002, 04:41 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Some people just assume that they won't like LOTR, that it will be too hard or confusing. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I used to be one of these people.

When I first heard that the movie was coming out, I didn't want to see it because I hadn't read the book. I wouldn't read the book because I thought I wouldn't like it. Well, the excitement of the movie coming out encouraged me to read LOTR and The Hobbit like so many others, and guess what? I LOVED IT!!! I am disappointed in myself that I didn't read the books earlier. I wish that people would stop making the same mistake I did and try reading the book. They might end up surprising themselves and enjoy it. It happened to me.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:04 PM   #14
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Brinniel, your experience is eerily similar to mine! I never read it because I hate books with made-up names and lands and monsters. But a co-worker talked me into reading it before I saw the movie. I bought the Hobbit and LOTR and promptly got sick and had to stay home for a week. Well, I couldn't put the darn things down. I read almost non-stop. When I got to the end of LOTR, I was so sad I just cried. What a tremendous cast of characters, great sweep of action, superb descriptions, lucid plot, and marvelous humanity! It is now my favorite book of all time. I can't believe that 20 years ago, as an English major at university, I would have thought I wouldn't like it.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 06:30 PM   #15
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think some people are overwhelmed by the sheer size of LotR (it is a pretty big book) and some just don't have the time (or the energy) to read it. Others might not like the fantasy genre. The fools.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:28 PM   #16
Elsaur
Pile O'Bones

Elsaur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elsaur Send a message via AIM to Elsaur
The Eye

they fear what they do not understand. they are not only hating the books but i've also heard some personal insults. they think we're all freaks who live in our mothers basement calling ourselves the chosen one and stuff like that.we just have a hobby and enjoy great literature. all they want is their ps2 because if it's not there when they want it instantly and it takes more than a five minute attention span then they're not going to do it and that makes me sick to my stomach. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 07:31 PM   #17
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Ugh, I hate it when people think we're insane and nerdy just because we like to read. If only it were like it was in the ancient times, when people who could read were considered noble.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:35 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I don't know anyone who hates LOTR. I have a friend who isn't excited over it, but she has seen the movie 5 times! Have these people read the books and seen the movie? I bet that if they did that they would at least not despise it anymore. Crazy people!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:41 PM   #19
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Know what? The only reason I read LOTR was because of Harry Potter! I originally told my parents that I didn't care for LOTR cause it was too long. (And this comes from a person who read the Guiness Book of World records for '92 in 95!) Anyway, when we went to se Harry Potter in the theatre the day it came out, I saw a trailer for LOTR. I was intruiged, and since it was Friday, i picked it up, and stayed up till around 3:00, then slept until about 8:00, and finished it. And i was like WOW how come I never read this before. You can guess the rest. Kinda freaky though, I only read LOTR in November, and i'm really obsessed now.

My little sister isn't probably ever going to read LOTR, but she's read the Hobbit, and (how does this work) she's on the Downs?! What's up with that?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #20
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Well, one of my friends from school, one of my very smart friends at that, said she didn't like it because she couldn't understand it.
By chance, is this "school" an asylum? Or maybe kindergarten?

Maybe she should go read "Go Dog, Go!" or "Green Eggs And Ham" or something.

I wouldn't put too much stock in your opinion about her being "very smart"...
Old 08-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #21
Erendis

Sting

I think sometimes, it is indeed the fact that the book is very complex and so, the younger readers don't like it.(I'm not saying that all young readers feel that, just many that I know).
But of course, it's not only young readers who dislike it. There are the people who don't like fantasy and are daunted by the size as well.
Then there are the people who aren't young/unintelligent, like fantasy and don't mind size who dislike LotR. For them (according to the few people I met who fit that criteria) it's too descriptive (quote: "utter crap and an idiotic fairy tale") and thus boring.
It all comes down to personal taste and opinion.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Erendis ]
Old 08-27-2002, 09:42 PM   #22
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

For a lot of people, even geniunely smart ones, it's simply not their type of book. However my friends of that type still loved the movie, they just weren't interested in spending all that time reading that sort of book.
Then there's the ignorant masses that "don't get it." Grr. Those, like my little brother and parents, who simply don't understand the storyline, can't keep the characters straight (somehow Sauron and Saruman are impossible to tell apart for some reason). Though actually even they still like the movie, and my parents like the books.
The one legitimate (in my opinion)reason not to read the books is that they're really hard to get through the first time. Ok, that's not nearly enough of an excuse, but it is true. It took me till 6th grade or so to actually finish the series. (and since I was reading much longer books by 3rd grade, that is signifigant)
But I've never heard of anyone that actually read the books that didn't like it. Even non readers. So anyone that truly doesn't like it is either orc-kin or mentally deficient. (or more commonly, both)
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:17 PM   #23
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I’m afraid that what can really drive some people mad is the book’s richness in detail and historical background. It describes a whole new world, of which the first-time reader has absolutely no idea. That can be very irritating and frustrating. I don’t feel that LotR can be just easy reading for fun. You can be carried away with the plot, but full understanding and appreciation takes some (quite a lot at times) brain-work, which some people are just not used to. It’s a real challenge to one’s intelligence.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #24
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I guess you really have to be a "reader" to like Tolkien. You have to have an open mind and swallow your perception on what is "cool" to really enjoy him. Some people just don't have enough gumption to pick up FotR and take it to the checkout at Barnes and Noble without hiding it under a seventeen magazine, I guess. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Though it's been easier, now that the movie has come out and Tolkien has a lot more... how shall I say it... mass-appeal, now that Liv Tyler is playing Arwen and the beautiful Viggo Moresten (I know I butchered that) and Orlando Bloom is Elessar and Legolas, respectively, if you catch my drift. I know it was pretty slim pickings finding fans (at least around my area) before Tolkien started having action figures, but I guess that'll come with the territory. Just as long as it brings people back to the books, and that they know that the book came first, I guess it's okay. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Really, the only people I've heard that didn't like the movie was because of the ending. My POV, that still doesn't give them a leg to stand on: if they had read the books, the ending wouldn't have bummed them out so bad, because they'd know that it's only one book of three! Well, one/third of one, anyway.

'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:36 PM   #25
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I have a very good friend (extremely intelligent) who stays far, far away from fantasy because "it's too sincere." This is, indeed, an issue that several threads have touched on, and may be a problem for other readers as well. The best understanding I have of it is that the emotional demands of Tolkien are different from those that they expect or appreciate (the same is probably a good explanation of my own dislike of true stories). On the other hand, of course, she hasn't read the book.

She did glance at it and notice that she found the style abrupt and the names stupid. I happen to disagree heartily with both of these observations, but there they are.

There's also the influence of the "fantasy is not valid literature" stigma to contend with. Many posters have mentioned readers who are awed by the books' length and complexity; on the other end of the spectrum are people who don't feel that they can take it seriously. Maybe this is connected to the sincerity issue... fantasy takes itself seriously but may seem to some to be too distant to merit the seriousness.

I consider it an excellent book, but I don't consider disagreement with my opinions on the part of others to be a sign of illiteracy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and I had to comment on this...

Quote:
If only it were like it was in the ancient times, when people who could read were considered noble.
...it's not so much that they were considered noble in the way I think you mean as that they belonged to the nobility.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:35 PM   #26
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

Blasphemy! We shall round-up all the speakers of heresy, bound them on a stake and burn them like the Witches of old! Within the Holy Words of Tolkien we are graced with the richness, beauty and majesty of Tolkien the Magnificant.

Never shall these Words be critized by the true lovers of literature, the mastermind that is Tolkien has sculpted the imagination of our generation. The words 'literay hack' being spouted at us shall never destroy our faith in the masterpiece, for we are the fans of Tolkien and we can see the truth- The Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece.

A little overdramatic, but back to the question. Most of my friends won't even bother taking on the daunting task of reading the book. Of those we did read it, many have liked it and I know few who hate it. Although the one who hates it is one of my closest friends, his words of hatred merely bounce off me. The Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece - nothing can convince me otherwise.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:35 AM   #27
NicktheOrc
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Witch-Realm of Angmar, a.k.a. some place in Australia
NicktheOrc has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I know someone (my girlfriend) that always hears me talking about LOTR and she calls the One Ring "a ring that makes people invisible". How wierd?

Anywho, I was introduced to LOTR by the movie and now I know almost everything about the 3rd Age of LOTR! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[Edited on the 28th of Some Month , : This wierd thingy edited by: Mr. HappyDudiHead, I mean NicktheOrc ]

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: NicktheOrc ]
Old 08-28-2002, 09:49 AM   #28
Merlinus Ambrosius

Sting

Most people who I know who don't like LOTR just plain don't like to read. Then there was my sister. She thought the books sounded like just "plain weirdness". Well, then the movie came out and I got her to go see it with me. She hated it. Then, I convinced her to read the book. She finished FOTR in less than two weeks. Now, she loves the movie. I think most people don't like fantasy just because they won't give it a chance.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:45 PM   #29
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A friend of mine is one of those types, who refuses even watching a trailer for something further from reality than a teen-movie. Maybe I'm putting it in extremes, but sometimes she seems that way... But then again, I think she's trying to play persuaded(is it right grammatically?) She also refused to see Pearl Harbor, but after half a year it's one of her favorites. I suspect her for hating all I like. I recommend a book: "Nooo, I don't really like that sort of books - you know elves and stuff" and a month later she could have rea it twice. Anyways, if anybody's interested, she is forced to watch LotR on friday the 13th - horror-film night... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Quote:
People who sometimes wish they could live in another world where pop culture doesn't have such an overwhelming affect on society.
That is so true. I never thought of it that way, but it is such a good expression! Maybe I'm weird, but I've always wished to live anywhere, but the place I am. My first priority is "out of Denmark", but living in ME would be so fantastic. And Tolkien's style make you believe you are there. Sorry, getting of the subject.
Quote:
Or else they have it typecast as a book only read by weirdos who can't handle real life.
That is definately a reason. Allthough I do not think we're all like that.
Quote:
People don't seem to realise that you can read a book of over 1000 pages just for fun.
Tell me about it. I read a book at 'simply' 600 pgs and it took three days, before people started to treat me as usual again. Luckily my work on getting people convinced to read that size of books is starting to give results...
Quote:
Many people are certianly intelligent enough to understand it, but have no interest in unreal things.
As the girl mentioned earlier. But as long as it's not "Oh, that's far too large a book"n etc. etc. I don't mind.
Quote:
If only it were like it was in the ancient times, when people who could read were considered noble.
Hmm, I like that thought... they would be forced to respect us... hehe
I'm glad you bothered reading all of this... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I got carried away...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #30
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If they don't like it, then they're crazy...or they don't like reading...

Once I had an english teacher and she said Tolkiens work sucked...you know what I think...she had NO buisiness teaching english (random thought)
Old 08-28-2002, 01:44 PM   #31
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, some people who are deeply religious, do not care for it because it has forms of witch craft in it, and it suguests a bible all it's own. They think that it teaches un christian like things and that's why schools cannot offer it. Some what like harry potter

I Love lord of the Rings by the way, and learned this info from my brother.

also, i think I spell suguest wrong, can some one tell me how?
Old 08-28-2002, 04:54 PM   #32
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I know this isn't quite on topic, but I had to respond to this:
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...it's not so much that they were considered noble in the way I think you mean as that they belonged to the nobility.
But didn't they belong to the nobility because they could read?
Old 08-28-2002, 05:07 PM   #33
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

they are ether idiots, illiterate, or harry potter fans.
(i'm the nicest guy in the world [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 08-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #34
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Sting

*briefly wanders off topic with Nevfeniel (I had to respond too), apologizing in advance*

No, they could read because they were noble. Nobody was out there handing books to serfs; reading was part of the education of the rich and powerful (or religious types) and not really a lot of other people. There weren't a lot of lifestyles that seemed to require it.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 06:50 PM   #35
SportsGrl754

Tolkien

i think some people dont like it cuz they dont give it a chance. the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring is actually kind of slow. i know this turned away some of my friends. same with The Hobbit.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:39 AM   #36
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I agree with practically everything said so far. Basically all of my friends use at least one of those excuses so as not to read the book or watch the movie. My best friend won't watch it because she isn't 'into' fantasy. Only comedy and horror. When I explained about Merry and Pippin and the Nazgul, the Barrowdowns, the Paths of the Dead, Moria, etc. etc. I was immediately labelled as 'obsessed' for simply knowing these things! Another friend, and I must say, she's an absolute genius, won't read it because to her, fantasy novels hold no truths to real life, they have no meaning. I must say, I nearly cried 'blasphemy!' and almost went off on a tantrum, but we were in class at the time (drat). Later, I tried explaining to her that there are truths in Lord of the Rings, that it was emotionally driven and had me in tears five times! She found the latter bit doubtful (I never cry) so she didn't believe me. I think what Belin said about fantasy being too 'sincere' applied to her. I honestly can't see her sheding a tear throughout the whole book. It's just not her. Which is another reason. LOTR simply doesn't fit with some people's personalities and lifestyles.

My only success was brief. I had my sister read some of The Two Towers after she saw the movie. (She's very worried about Merry and Pippin you see) And yes, she was interested. However, a new Nelly song was released that same week, so I lost her. Dammit.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:38 PM   #37
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

hi everyone

thank you all very much for your replies! this is my first major subject and the first one to have more than 1 reply.

i didn't know that this subject would bring on discussions of nobility. here is my input in medieval times it was not just the nobility that read! in some cases (though very few) poor people read. they might not have had the books and tapestries like the nobility but some had a little knowledge of reading, such as decrees of the land (although these were read out), and later in the 17th century the bible.

note: not all this may be 100% accurate but it's my little bit of knowledge!

anyway keep your posts coming !!

thank you

g [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #38
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I can understand how some people may not be able to comprehend the Lord of the Rings. It is not your typical "go in there with your sword killing everything in sight" war-fantasy. There is deepness behind it. You should see the blank looks I get when I try to start conversation about the complexity of Gollum/Smeagol's character.

Now: the Silmarillion...you should see the looks I get when I tell people I've read it. They aren't as surprised about UT and LT, but...for some reason, the Sil really confuses them.

But, it seems these days, people don't really want to think. They want to be entertained more than anything. Tolkien, however, makes you think in most of his works, so that throws people off and makes them dislike his style (their reasons for dislike are the reasons that I favor Tolkien over other authors, actually).
Old 03-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #39
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think that "the lord of the rings" is a sort of book that you either really like or really hate. i REALLY like it!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #40
Happy Hobbit

Pipe

All my friends have seen the movie.
Some of them have seen more than 3 times. But they all HATE it. I think its confusing.
But my own thoughts, is that they like it but think that other think its geeky so they say they hate but they really love it after all.
I dont know. I think its weird.