The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2002, 04:35 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting A waste of cyberspace

Ok, I was seraching on Google for more great LOTR sites. Then on about the 15th page, I found something that made me scream and then laught in pity.
The # 1 Anti Lord of The Rings Website.

My first though was, "The Internet has a dumb*** on their hands."

I decided I would check the site out. It was the worset site I have ever seen. Obviously, the person that made this website was a child, but come off it!!! This site was, also, obviously poorly researched. The mini-quiz was very very stupid (no, not just bad, stupid). Plus, what is with that picture?

The only good thing about the site was the guestbook. Most of the signings were people defending LOTR.

Check the site out and tell me what you think, but be carful, this site is horriable.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

First of all, this poor soul has fallen into the trap of expage.com which allows no webdesigning freedom. Secondly, I have been to far better anti-Lord of the Rings websites than this particular one. Thirdly, it seems to based on the movie. This person really should give the book a chance. He may be converted to our cause (and help us to take over the world! ahem... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That is the worst site i have ever seen. The person who made really needs a dictionary. Gross. It is, indeed, a waste of cyberspace.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Oh, Elbereth! That was scary [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ! I can't believe that website exists! Also, what was up with the freaky music and the golden retreiver? I don't think anyone from the Downs should see that site, it might hurt them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

I think we have a problem.

After deep thought, I've realized something. After seeing this site, it seems that non-Tolkienites get temporarily weakened. The more they stare at it, the weaker they get. Well, I think this site was made to turn non-Tolkienites into anti-Tolkienites. Thus, means that the website is a trap made by a cult.

It also seems that the Golden Retriever and the crapy MIDI music are the icons of their organization.

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Oops. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I think I over reacted. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hey, this guy should be reported to the SPCA! What a waste of a beautiful golden retriever.

sharon
Old 12-08-2002, 07:26 PM   #7
Maddox

Sting

A truly pathetic site. Even my 61 year old mom could do it better and she doesn't even know how to USE a computer.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:21 PM   #8
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think some of my brain cells just died!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, the clues are all there. The mention of Elijah Wood, and "my sister Kelly". And the obvious fondness of dogs. It's perfectly clear that this site was built by Jack Osbourne!

It's all there: the name dropping, the jealousy, (since his sister gets to hang out with Elijah Wood, and he got snubbed by Natalie Portman), the lack of talent. It has to be...wait, do the Osbournes have a Golden Retriever?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Wow that was incredably sad.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:09 PM   #11
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

I found that website interesting.

Interesting as in 'designed by a young boy'.

I agree with the movie part -- most people seem to refer to Lord of the Rings as 'the movie', not realizing that there was a book written around 50 years ago. People never give the books a chance, and soon they begin to hate Lord of the Rings for no reason at all. If you are going to be such a moron about it, you should at least have a valid reason.

This is supposed to be for newcomers, so I'll stop before I wind up into a long, well-written essay about whether Legolas's hair was black, yellow, or perhaps a combination of black and yellow. * mounts horse and rides off to look for more entertaining, pathetic Expage anti-Lord of the Rings websites *
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:22 AM   #12
HammerTime
Pile O'Bones

HammerTime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AAAAAGGHHHH, my head is exploding... Ahem, well that site was truly horrible.

Did anyone look at the mini quiz? What was it going on about;
"How amy - many, I assume (but how can you tell with these anti LotR people)- LOTR book will their be within 5 years?"

Does he think they are still being written?

Well at least the geustbook was well written.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:01 AM   #13
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

For some reason I've wasted my valuable time posting the following to the guest-book there (which has a character limit that makes a text message seem long-winded):

Quote:
Your site doesn't say why you hate LoTR. It could do with a spell-check too.
Whilst doing that is utterly pointless, discussing the page here is even more so. I shall therefore desist therefrom.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 AM   #14
Dark-Caranthir
Haunting Spirit

Dark-Caranthir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have sent him many offensive messages!

I was just so angry!
Dark-Caranthir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:36 AM   #15
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Dark-Caranthir, I don't think you were right in doing so. After all, he/she may have some [sound] reason for it. Right of free speach, you know. Another thing is, he/she's not stating it. But that may not be used as a ground for offense

I think so [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:52 PM   #16
Tyler
Animated Skeleton

Tyler has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Tolkien

Now this is what happens when you are on crack and make a website. Im not sure what he dident like. Was it the movie, the books, or both? Now im just going to be mean cause he he/she is dogging LOTR for a reason thay dont even know. Not to say im great at makking webpages,but i am in a class and i problay could have made that after about a week in the class.(in hard HTML) Well i guess thay can say what thay want but hey so can I.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #17
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*in screaty old voice* Ya know what my father always said? He said "opinions are like armpits, everyone has them and some of them STINK!" How true!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:21 PM   #18
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

What it seems like to me is that the creater of this very badly done publication did this act out of spite of thier sister.

By the way, I'm going to copy that into the guestbook and see if he understands it. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 06:10 PM   #19
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

i just signed the guestbook and gave him advice, though I forgot about promoting Spellcheck. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 08:30 PM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

What if the webmaster knows exactly what he is posting online & he just makes it wrong to **** off Tolkien fans? I think it'd be easy for anyone to purposely put wrong information (unless of course this young boy is very, very young indeed).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:26 PM   #21
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
The Guestbook entries are hilarious! I'm still laughing...

"...beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron" are not for everyone...
Old 02-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #22
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

For those of you poor souls who went to visit this site a few months ago, the The #1 Anti-Lord of the Rings Website has been updated.

The MIDI music is different, but still sucks. The mini quiz is different, but still sucks.

Before, there was a picture of a golden retriver on the site, but now there is a metal fork, or something. Also, before, the mini quiz read, "How many Lord of the Rings books will be written in 5 years?" (Yes, poorly researched).

Well, tell me what you think of it now.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:14 PM   #23
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

OMG!!!
I can hardly believe it! There are actually people in the world who don’t like LOTR! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It makes me sick just to think of it [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

BTW who wants to join an anti-anti LOTR posse [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] We will avenge all the wrongs done by these sick sick people [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #24
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It is too popular. It drives my crazy. Only geeks and nerds would like it. ( NO OFFENSE) [...] Well , if you like it, fine. I am curious to see what is is that you like about this ..crap.
I sense passive-aggressivness. Man your battle stations. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The site's colors, the horrid MIDI, the pawprints... and this is supposed to be a HATE site? It's almost insulting to think they can't even construct a proper hate site for LotR. But still, I have to give them points for making me laugh....
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:35 PM   #25
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'm surprised at how good people are taking this. To add me to the list of many already, yes, it was quite a laugh. I agree with Teal Dude though. The site was definitly made by a child---one who has not read the books and probably won't.

He didn't really offend me much by what he said, because people have opinions. I have an entire Freshman class at my school who thinks I'm stupid for liking LOTR. I liked that he didn't have to be vulger about it though. If you read the guestbook, there were many people in there cussing LOTR fans out. At least the maker of the page wasn't mean about it. So I give him credit for that.

Quote:
Before, there was a picture of a golden retriver on the site, but now there is a metal fork, or something.
Yes, the fork I did not get. Maybe he was showing his plot to stab every LOTR fan with it? Or maybe he was going to just stab Tolkien? I mean, he obviously thinks Tolkien is still alive if he asked how many books would be written in 5 years. Either way, this kid is plain weird.

But hey, maybe he was bored. For instance, I don't like the movie Cinderella which my {16 year old} sister loves. {Yes, very strange.} But say that I got insanely bored one day. I would get online and make a Cinderella-haters website. Just for fun, ya know.

Oh, and you see how he ends with "Well, we all have our opinions"? It shows some curtesy to Tolkien lovers. At least I will give him credits for not being an idiot about the whole thing. Well, other than his lack of research. Anyway, I gave my opinion. If you want to see more, you can check out the guestbook at that site. I signed it...around 3 times.

{Oh, and I'm not going to make that Cinderella-haters website if any of you were wondering. Really, I'm not.}

EDIT: Oh yeah, to add one more thing, Rynoah, nice sig. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #26
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

What I find very depressing is the number of poorly-spelled, exclamation-mark riddled and abusive junk signings of that site's guest book in support of Tolkien and his work. I sincerely hope that no member of this forum is responsible for this cretinous drivel, which I find more offensive than I would a balanced, reasonable argument in support of the site's founder. We've all read The Lord of the Rings at the very least, and we know the level of English that Professor Tolkien enjoyed. Do these people really think that they are doing his memory any service at all by screaming semi-articulate abuse in a language that I can scarcely recognise as my own?

Almost all of those whose signings were posted on the site (I notice that my own has mysteriously disappeared) can be summed up in the words of Mills and O'Neill's Marshal Law:

Quote:
Such a carnival of empty. Such a pageant of non-entities. So many exotic variations on nothing.
I think that it is time we allowed this thread, and the memory of a web-site that is bad in every conceivable way to drop from our attention forever.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #27
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I posted the following
Add a spell check, remove the music, have more contents, improve your guest book what

I wanted to say was

How about you take some pride in your work read the books so that you can better argue your point of view. Add a spell check, remove the music, have more contents, improve your guest book and get a better theme. Tri http://www.bravenet.com/reviews/free.php for some nice web items.

Remove all the derogative comments from your guest book and actually have a theme for the page.
What’s with the fork/ scalpel?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #28
Lossenorodion
Pile O'Bones

Lossenorodion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lossenorodion Send a message via AIM to Lossenorodion
Sting

that is surely an stupid website and a waste of cyberspace and that gets me [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 AM   #29
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Anti sites on a whole are a complete waste of cyber space. And seeing one about Lord of the Rings is shocking. This person is obviosly as ignorant as he/she sounds. I had to leave a mark. People like that get to me so quickly. I am a rather assertive person [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 AM   #30
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Alright I'm not about to write up a lengthy reply; it's not needed because all I have to say is: that it is one crappy site, created by a crappy nerd, who doesn't have a hair of a clue who doesn't know how to read or do research. I've seen worse. It is a waste of cyberspace.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:20 AM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't mind that website, just because it is not that bad, and not that insulting to us Tolkien fans. But the only good thing that the guy has on that website is encouaging people to donate to charity. He just seems to have a problem with his sister having crushes on all the actors in the movies (which is understandable, I sometimes think of creating an anti-Orlando Bloom website because my sister loves him so much [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] , no I really wouldn't, there are probably people out there who already have those anyway)
Old 02-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #32
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

That guys realy sad i pity him.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #33
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Someone post a link to a decent anti-tolkien site. This has sparked my interest. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #34
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

That site is soooo sad!! And scary!!! That poor guy!!! We must help him turn into a LOTR fanatic!!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #35
Spectre of Decay

Sting

No, we must ignore him. Eventually he will tire of running an entire site for the sole purpose of annoying his sister and do something constructive with his time instead.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #36
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what a ******, website!! haahaha .. loser!!

"if you have lotr this is the site for you"

he doesn't even have anything there!! boooooooo!
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #37
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

A poor site done by a poor soul. The person is definately a loser, an idiot and of course a jack###.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 AM   #38
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I searched on google for "I hate Lord of the Rings" and came up with about 211000 hits!

http://film.guardian.co.uk/lordofthe...621068,00.html
an artical entitled "Why i hate Lord of the Rings". WARNING.
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/wlg/2376
You have got to read the comments on this thing, though alot of strong language!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #39
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Will someone please explain to me why "if you hate LotR this is the site for you"? Even if I did hate LotR with all my heart that site wouldn't impress me, and I don't see what It offers. Basically, it's just a page with a 2 minute rant on it (which is really dis-jointed and senseless anyway [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and a guestbook. Hmm. Yep. Waste of cyberspace.

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #40
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

This is what I posted at the O'Reilly fourm after reading that article and some of the posts.

Quote:
Its werid... because if Lord of the Rings hadn't been made into a movie, nobody would be posting here. Nobody would think LOTR fans are stupid, because LOTR would just be another book that a lot of people like.
But since its a movie, and its popular, you then make your little websites and fourms divoted to hating LOTR. So, don't tell us (LOTR fans) we need to get a life. Don't tell us that we are wasting our lifes. You are, because you spend your time making your anti-LOTR sites and anti-LOTR fourms, when you could just ignore it.
I am a LOTR fan, but I'm not trying to 'convert' you. I just want to say that if you think your accomplishing anything by belittling people for what they like, then your the ones with no lives.

TealDude3@aol.com
You know what else is werid... there going to e-mail me and keep on ranting. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]