The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #201
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I see Galadriel's realm as one in which the elves are allowed to manifest their sub-creative skills in all matters of life, to successfully resist Sauron and to ultimately fulfill a critical part of Eru's plan: the raising of Men to a higher level of their potential.
I could see this applying to Rivendell, but hardly to Lorien. Lorien is increasingly cut off from the world of Men as a direct consequence of Celeborn & Galadriel's policy.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #202
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that Men are able to 'reach their potential' without the Elves - as shown in Men like Faramir - he may look fondly on his Numenorean heritage but he is living in Gondor, a long way from the Elves. The only Man we see who has had extensive dealings with Elves, and with Lorien, is Aragorn. In this respect I can see that he must have received a great deal of learning and guidance from the Elves, but again, it must from Rivendell that he gains the greater influence. Lorien's isolation from the world of Men has resulted in it being viewed with great suspicion by Men, so if the Elves were meant to help Men achieve their potential then those in Lorien have failed, surely?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #203
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Isn't it also in a way, that we have two traditions present at the same time, at least in the west. The one would say, that the mankind has fallen from paradise and continues to fall. Everything that is, is less than what was. The second would say, that we, as a mankind, are climbing the ladders of enlightenment and evolution, to the future, that will be all the better for everyone?

Quote:
[=Raynor] According to Letter #181, the elves represent "the artistic, aesthetic, and purely scientific aspects of the Humane nature raised to a higher level than is actually seen in Men. That is: they have a devoted love of the physical world, and a desire to observe and understand it for its own sake and as 'other' - sc. as a reality derived from God in the same degree as themselves - not as a material for use or as a power-platform. They also possess a 'subcreational' or artistic faculty of great excellence". Their ennoblement of the Men race (at least through the union of the blood lines) is part of a divine plan. In the same text quoted above, Dangweth Pengolodh, it is stated that:
Quote:

Others perceiving that in nothing do Men, and namely those of the West, so nearly resemble the Eldar as in speech, answer that the teaching which Men had of the Elves in their youth works on still as a seed in the dark

And in Myths Transformed it is stated that "in their association with the warring Eldar Men were raised to their fullest achievable stature". Legolas notes that those exiting Lothlorien are "changed" - for the better.

My conclusion would be that the elves had a certain critical role in ME: to raise Men to a higher level, a point illustrated by the above refferences; yet in Middle Earth, the marring of Melkor threatens to accelerate not only the waning of the elven hroa due to the fire of their spirit but also their means of existence (general decay nature, which affects even the gift of the valar, lembas, whose corn can neither grow under the shadow of 'normal' plants, nor can it withstand the evil winds bearing the influence of Melkor). In order to conclude their mission to its fullest success, the elves need protection against such factors, a protection given by the power of their rings. I see Galadriel's realm as one in which the elves are allowed to manifest their sub-creative skills in all matters of life, to successfully resist Sauron and to ultimately fulfill a critical part of Eru's plan: the raising of Men to a higher level of their potential.
I must say, I'm at odds with this "raising men to a higher level of their potential". Isn't Tolkien more like a romantic, who kind of lays before our eyes, what we could have been, but which we never were?

The elves of Middle Earth need protection, yes. But why are they entangled with such "technological" devices as rings? Isn't this just a story of a great fall, when even the (once fallen?) elves had to cling with artifical things to maintain even a part of what they had been?

The times', they are a changing? So decay everywhere? Clinging on to the first story. Tolkien's story of it?

Tolkien's vision of art might be a subject to another discussion. He surely was a child of his time (as we too are, of course). But some basic, conceptual things could be opened from the vantage point of history...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #204
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet

Bźthberry: Galadriel's Art/Technology is not the only instance of this nostalgia in LotR. Other examples of it are Treebeard and the Ents, and indeed the entirety of the Rohirrim story-line, which is (in part) a 'might-have-been' but for the Norman conquest.

In our reading? Are you suggesting that we tend to read LotR according to late 20th century lenses and need to let it speak to us in a new 21st century way? And that Tolkien suggests this very thing in the course of the story? The end of the War of the Ring ushers in a completely new Age of Man (read Humanity). But the social norms don't change, only the demise (or diminishing) of Art (magic). Somehow I don't find in Tolkien an acceptance of this without much regret and mourning.
Now lmp, you know better than to suggest I would say there is one way to read a text.

I was simply trying a bit of applicability, extrapolating the logic suggested here about Galadriel to two items, LotR itself and the general ethos of readers who post here at the Downs. Is Galadriel a model for the average Downs reader? I merely ask. Do we have multiple images of the reader in LotR? Are the hobbits one kind of reader and the elves another and do readers find themselves reading the text the way their favoured character reads the events? Do some readers identify closely with the translator conceit that they have distance from these other modes? But this is to digress....

The logic developed here concerning Galadriel sought in the text itself to find a way to consider her character and behaviour, rather than impose an 'outside' criterion from the primary world--and that is in the finest tradition of discussion here at the Downs--to tweak out every little inconsistency or unexplained point in the Legendarium. You add a couple more examples that could be examined using the same approach. Treebeard and the Ents are likely candidates, of course, but even more intriguing is your point about Rohan. (You are getting into the mead hall business, aren't you! Splendid!)

What is the role of nostalgia in the Rohirric outlook, that is, the characters? Or are you saying that Tolkien himself created a nostalgic, revisionary history for The Mark?

I see that davme continues his great desire to find aspects of the author's psychology in the text. Intriguing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drigel
Nice! I would suggest rather that Galadriel is used in LOTR as a model for a prime reader for the psychology of High Elves. You get a lot of history with Elrond and Cirdan. But with Galadriel, sigh, you get as close to Valimar as a mortal can be.
Well, Elrond isn't all High Elf is he? so is his nostalgia tempered by his understanding of the Gift of Death? Or is he 'saved' from Galadriel's error by his understanding?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #205
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow! Away for almost two days and look what happens!

I'll be glad when Rowlings' series is complete, so we have the whole thing to look at and can discuss the thing knowing what she's really driving toward. For now, we're still in the dark. That seems to be one difference between her and Tolkien: we know by the end of Chapter 2 what the big themes are in LotR; after five books of Harry, we're still not sure what Rowlings' big themes really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
But that is exactly what makes the difference - the motives, because, as Tolkien states in Letter #155, both the good side and the evil one use the same means of magic.
I can't agree. Gandalf refuses the Ring when Frodo offers it because he knows that it would corrupt him, though he would begin his tyranny with good motives. Tolkien's saying that dehumanizing means (technology) are ethically wrong (or at least inferior or dangerous) even if one's motives are good.

Quote:
My conclusion would be that the elves had a certain critical role in ME: to raise Men to a higher level...
I agree that we should not paint with too broad a brush regarding the Elves as somehow always wrong for realizing their ability of profound subcreation. But I cannot disagree more strongly with your conclusion: it's too Human-centered, which the first three Ages most certainly were not. The raising of certain Men to the highest level attainable, is a by-product rather than the primary purpose of the Elves. It must be remembered that ALL of Tolkien's Legendarium is based on myths and legends told and written in the past; or on hypothetical proto-words Tolkien subcreated as must- or should-have-been. Those myths are about Elves who without fail affected Men, most often for the worse, as has been discussed elsewhere on the Downs, but not as their God-(or Eru)-given purpose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I think that Men are able to 'reach their potential' without the Elves - as shown in Men like Faramir - he may look fondly on his Numenorean heritage but he is living in Gondor, a long way from the Elves.
I think the relation of Men and Elves and 'full potential' is chasing after the bucket at the end of the rainbow. It should be noted, also, that in the mythos Tolkien created, blood-lines were of utmost importance, and in Faramir the Numenorean ran true, and Tolkien "plays this up", so to speak, to show that Faramir is noble in the way that Aragorn is; and Faramir had Gandalf for a teacher (one more reason why Denethor despised both); point being, Faramir learned at just as noble feet as did Aragorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry
What is the role of nostalgia in the Rohirric outlook, that is, the characters? Or are you saying that Tolkien himself created a nostalgic, revisionary history for The Mark?
I must admit to a certain degree of confusion (a failure to adequately comprehend) regarding this 'hobbits as readers' idea of yours. It's not the way my mind works, I guess. At any rate, I'm saying the latter. That does not, of course, mean that I don't see the former as a possibility. That said, it seems to me that the Rohirrim are described as a folk still existing in their poetic age. They have not yet made certain distinctions required for nostalgia to even be possible for them. They do revere their past (as opposed to their history, which is an entirely different thing, but that is fodder for a different thread), but that's not the same thing as nostalgia.

Tolkien, however, did indeed write a nostalgic revisionary feigned history for "The Mark". (For those of you who might feel as if you're a little 'outside' this particular aspect of the conversation, Bethberry and I are referring to the West Midlands, that part of England with which Tolkien so closely identified himself; this land was known historically as Anglo-Saxon Mercia, which just happens to be the Latinate form of "The Mark".) I know he says so himself ... somewhere. But what does this say to us, beyond the fact that Tolkien wrote about what he loved?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #206
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Tolkien, however, did indeed write a nostalgic revisionary feigned history for "The Mark". (For those of you who might feel as if you're a little 'outside' this particular aspect of the conversation, Bethberry and I are referring to the West Midlands, that part of England with which Tolkien so closely identified himself; this land was known historically as Anglo-Saxon Mercia, which just happens to be the Latinate form of "The Mark".) I know he says so himself ... somewhere. But what does this say to us, beyond the fact that Tolkien wrote about what he loved?
Funnily enough I've just been reading the passage in The Road to Middle-earth which refers to the Rohirrim. Here Shippey says that Tolkien aimed to recreate not the real Anglo-Saxons but the version of them as seen in poetry and legend. I think he is correct - the real Saxons revered the horse but were not known as great riders in battle, and much Anglo-Saxon culture was in fact concerned with trade and land. They did not ride around with spears looking for battles, much as the Rohirrim sometimes seem to do! Tolkien's 'version' of this culture does seem to be his own vision, rather than what 'actually happened'.

I think as well that there is another difference between the Rohirrim and the 'real' Anglo-Saxons. The Rohirrim are on the cusp of developing a written literature of their own, but they are still in the oral stage; the Anglo-Saxons had a period of relative stability in which to develop a rich culture in England - this was then cut off as it was flowering.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #207
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, some more on the issue of the rings (letter #181):

"The 'Three Rings' were 'unsullied', because this object was in a limited way good, it included the healing of the real damages of malice, as well as the mere arrest of change; and the Elves did not desire to dominate other wills, nor to usurp all the world to their particular pleasure.But with the downfall of 'Power' their little efforts at preserving the past fell to bits. There was nothing more in Middle-earth for them, but weariness. So Elrond and Galadriel depart."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Isn't it also in a way, that we have two traditions present at the same time, at least in the west. The one would say, that the mankind has fallen from paradise and continues to fall. Everything that is, is less than what was. The second would say, that we, as a mankind, are climbing the ladders of enlightenment and evolution, to the future, that will be all the better for everyone?
I would agree with the first tradition; concerning the second one, Men could only truly advance in matters of wisdom, since their hroar are continuously erroded - unless there is a special divine intervention to help them.
Quote:
I must say, I'm at odds with this "raising men to a higher level of their potential". Isn't Tolkien more like a romantic, who kind of lays before our eyes, what we could have been, but which we never were?
Tolkien does reffer to Numenoreans as "Man rehabilitated", although that was true only for a short while.

Quote:
Quote:
But that is exactly what makes the difference - the motives, because, as Tolkien states in Letter #155, both the good side and the evil one use the same means of magic.
I can't agree. Gandalf refuses the Ring when Frodo offers it because he knows that it would corrupt him, though he would begin his tyranny with good motives.
Well, that is a bit of a strawman, since I wasn't reffering to the One ring, but to the elven use of magic, concerning which (letter #155):

"Magia could be, was, held good (per se), and goeteia bad. Neither is, in this tale, good or bad (per se), but only by motive or purpose or use. Both sides use both, but with different motives"

Quote:
Those myths are about Elves who without fail affected Men, most often for the worse, as has been discussed elsewhere on the Downs, but not as their God-(or Eru)-given purpose!
From the letter #131:

"The doom of the Elves is to be immortal, to love the beauty of the world, to bring it to full flower with their gifts of delicacy and perfection, to last while it lasts, never leaving it even when 'slain', but returning - and yet, when the Followers come, to teach them, and make way for them, to 'fade' as the Followers grow and absorb the life from which both proceed"

Moreover, Tolkien states that, prior to the One Ring, Sauron ruled over _all_ Men who didn't have contact with the elves.
Quote:
It should be noted, also, that in the mythos Tolkien created, blood-lines were of utmost importance, and in Faramir the Numenorean ran true, and Tolkien "plays this up"
While I agree that blood is given a good deal of importance, Tolkien also makes the following remarks in the letters:
Quote:
Here we meet, among other things, the first example of the motive (to become dominant in Hobbits) that the great policies of world history, 'the wheels of the world', are often turned not by the Lords and Governors, even gods, but by the seemingly unknown and weak - owing to the secret life in creation, and the pan unknowable to all wisdom but One, that resides in the intrusions of the Children of God into the Drama. It is Beren the outlawed monal who succeeds (with the help of Luthien, a mere maiden even if an elf of royalty) where all the armies and warriors have failed: he penetrates the stronghold of the Enemy and wrests one of the Silmarilli from the Iron Crown.
[the] structure [of the story]is planned to be 'hobbito-centric', that is, primarily a study of the ennoblement (or sanctification) of the humble
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #208
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
"The 'Three Rings' were 'unsullied', because this object was in a limited way good, it included the healing of the real damages of malice, as well as the mere arrest of change; and the Elves did not desire to dominate other wills, nor to usurp all the world to their particular pleasure.But with the downfall of 'Power' their little efforts at preserving the past fell to bits. There was nothing more in Middle-earth for them, but weariness. So Elrond and Galadriel depart."
Yet we have Tolkien's own assessment of the Elves' motives (can't say which letter, as I've just found the quote on a search) :

Quote:
But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right. Not so much because they had flirted with Sauron; as because with or without his assistance they were 'embalmers'. They wanted to have their cake and eat it: to live in the mortal historical Middle-earth because they had become fond of it (and perhaps because they there had the advantages of a superior caste), and so tried to stop its change and history, stop its growth, keep it as a pleasaunce, even largely a desert, where they could be 'artists' – and they were overburdened with sadness and nostalgic regret.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #209
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Yet we have Tolkien's own assessment of the Elves' motives (can't say which letter, as I've just found the quote on a search) :

Quote:
Quote:
But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right. Not so much because they had flirted with Sauron; as because with or without his assistance they were 'embalmers'. They wanted to have their cake and eat it: to live in the mortal historical Middle-earth because they had become fond of it (and perhaps because they there had the advantages of a superior caste), and so tried to stop its change and history, stop its growth, keep it as a pleasaunce, even largely a desert, where they could be 'artists' – and they were overburdened with sadness and nostalgic regret.
This to me bears out some of my suspicions about Galadriel. In Middle-earth she is able to have her own realm and to exercise power, something she desires. That she desires it is borne out in both the wooing gifts of Celebrimbor which will bestow greater power, and her comment about the One Ring that she has 'desired' it at some point, whether to see if she can be the one to destroy it or use it I'm not commenting on here. When she says she will 'diminish' and go West, it is literally that - she will give up notions of power and independence as in the Undying Lands there are undoubtedly many Elves greater than she is and she will once more be but one of many.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #210
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
This to me bears out some of my suspicions about Galadriel. In Middle-earth she is able to have her own realm and to exercise power, something she desires. That she desires it is borne out in both the wooing gifts of Celebrimbor which will bestow greater power, and her comment about the One Ring that she has 'desired' it at some point, whether to see if she can be the one to destroy it or use it I'm not commenting on here. When she says she will 'diminish' and go West, it is literally that - she will give up notions of power and independence as in the Undying Lands there are undoubtedly many Elves greater than she is and she will once more be but one of many.
And just to remind the point made earlier by davem, she is making the Lorien stand with the help of a craft, or technology (ie. the ring she has), and even having doubts', whether she should continue doing so, maybe taking the One Ring to settle things for the time being...

And if we interpret Tolkien being against all technological views' of the world, then also Galadriel is "damned". She also represents the age of the fallen, those who try to yield powers that make themselves slaves at the same time.

Holding Lorien blossoming, is against the turn of the tide. To try to reserve it, is a "blasbhemy", not yielding to the "natural" shape of events' unfolding. So she must wane. (She might have fought back, with her ring - or even with the One Ring - but in the end, she would have lost the battle). And there is heroism in her decline! She is the last to willfully deny technological might and freely wane herself out of power. So one of the elders', true kin to generations' that have passed before her. (Well, we could discuss Boromir or Faramir in here, but I think, they haven't the symbolical value of Galadriels' denial)

These "people" entangled themselves with the fortunes' of the ring. They beated the One Ring, just to build up their own society, based on principles' that the ring could vote for...?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:41 AM   #211
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Of course, we have to be careful not to lay all the 'sin' at Galadriel's door. Tolkien states that this is an Elvish failing, not simply a 'Galadrien' one. Her ambition was higher than her compatriots, so she became greater, but consequently her 'sin' was greater. Its interesting that she 'passes' the test & is allowed to return into the West not because of her efforts in the battle against Sauron, not because of her struggles & sacrifices in the war, but because in the end she repents & chooses humility. It is only when she is prepared to 'diminish' (ie to let go of her dreams of power & become simply herself once more) that she is allowed to go home.

This is in sharp contrast to Frodo for whom there is 'no real going back'. The Shire will not be the same for him because he is not the same Hobbit he was. Galadriel can let go of everything she had been & return to her original state - Frodo cannot. Why?

Perhaps because the persona Galadriel had created for herself was, in the end, a false one, while for Frodo the changes that happened to him were not self imposed falsehoods but were a true transformation. The Galadriel we meet in LotR is not the true Galadriel - only after the offer & rejection of the Ring do we see the real Elf-Woman :
Quote:
She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.
I wonder what this tells us about Tolkien's philosophy, about the 'laws' of Middle-earth?
In this passage we see first of all the false persona: 'She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful.' Then we see the real woman:'a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad..

Galadriel changes herself, effectivly makes herself into a work of Art (yet can we call it 'Art' in the Tolkienien sense when it is achieved through magic, the powers of Elessar & Elven Ring? Frodo, on the other hand, is transformed through his experiences. Galadriel can go home merely by letting go of the false persona she has built up, Frodo cannot go home because he has actually become a different person. Galadriel has been playing a game with power, she is like a child playing at grown-ups (this is true for all the good she achieves). In the end she 'merely' has to put away her toys (much though she may have loved those toys, much though she may have achieved with them). Frodo hasn't been playing at all. In the end, though, it is Frodo who achieves the great victory, not Galadriel. So, it is Frodo who loses all not Galadriel.

Yet both have learned a lesson & 'grown' (ironically, the consequence of Galadriel's 'growth is to become 'shrunken' - though actually she only 'shrinks' to her true 'size'. Frodo actually 'grows' morally & spiritually). Galadriel comes to the realisation that she is too 'small' for her fantasy, Frodo that he is too 'big' for his old reality. Galadriel goes home, Frodo goes into exile. I don't know who gets the better of the deal: We can't say that in her return to the Undying Lands Galadriel is being rewarded - she's only going back to what she had before. Frodo, on the other hand, is said to be being 'rewarded' by being allowed to pass into the West. Yet we have to ask whether the 'reward' is worth the suffering he had to go through - we're never actually told whether he felt it was all worth it: he merely tells Sam that sometimes it must be so - that someone has to lose the things they love so that others may keep them. He cannot just let his hand fall, laugh, & become a simple Hobbit again.

Of course, she, at the test, was able to reject the Ring. He was not.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #212
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Quote:
They do revere their past (as opposed to their history, which is an entirely different thing, but that is fodder for a different thread), but that's not the same thing as nostalgia.

Well, Mr. Mead Hall Keeper, I look forward to this different thread--when, of course, you have time to develope and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Funnily enough I've just been reading the passage in The Road to Middle-earth which refers to the Rohirrim. Here Shippey says that Tolkien aimed to recreate not the real Anglo-Saxons but the version of them as seen in poetry and legend. I think he is correct - the real Saxons revered the horse but were not known as great riders in battle, and much Anglo-Saxon culture was in fact concerned with trade and land. They did not ride around with spears looking for battles, much as the Rohirrim sometimes seem to do! Tolkien's 'version' of this culture does seem to be his own vision, rather than what 'actually happened'.

I think as well that there is another difference between the Rohirrim and the 'real' Anglo-Saxons. The Rohirrim are on the cusp of developing a written literature of their own, but they are still in the oral stage; the Anglo-Saxons had a period of relative stability in which to develop a rich culture in England - this was then cut off as it was flowering.
There is that other important aspect of Old English literature -- riddles. You might say Old English literature is riddled with them.

The earliest known collection is in The Exeter Book, some of which are in Latin. The Latin ones are different from the Old English ones, which some scholars have called "literary games". W. P. Ker called them "imaginative thought." Here's an online paper describing Old English riddles and here are some online translations.

Interesting that Tolkien gives central importance to riddling not to the Rohirrim, but to the hobbits--or at least Gollem and Bilbo. Also interesting that riddles are absent from Beowulf. I can't recall that The Battle of Maldon has any, but it's been some time since I read it. Maybe our resident Old English scholars--Squatter and Fordim-- can suggest why-- if indeed it is the case--riddles are absent from the heroic literature.

As for Tolkien's love of the culture which, as Lal says, "was cut off in its flowering"--and to relate this to the question of nostalgia--I know of at least one Old English scholar who used to hand out a chronology which ended with this:

Quote:
1066 Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
EDIT: Actually, I don't like those five translations. Here's another site with both the OE and Modern English transations: Old English riddle translation

Last edited by Bźthberry; 02-06-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correcting last hyperlink
Bźthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #213
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
wonder what this tells us about Tolkien's philosophy, about the 'laws' of Middle-earth?
Its a wonderfull personification of the elvish story by that time (actually starting at the conclusion of the Last Alliance). The transition age where legend slips away, and the harsh reality of the fact that the age of mankind is being ushered in, like it or not. To me, the rings use for her (could she have done the same thing with Vilya?) was all about the attitude of a High Elf that remembered paradise, but also remembered ME in its vigorous youth, and how close it was to paradise, before so much marring. And the realization by LOTR that the ravages of time can sweep away both the ideal of ME and the ideal of her people.

Quote:
The Galadriel we meet in LotR is not the true Galadriel - only after the offer & rejection of the Ring do we see the real Elf-Woman
She was both because she HAD to be both, IMO. It may have been regional by that time, but her kingdom was necessary and vital to the ultimate mission. Plenty of chances to sail west for her, although I think pre-Frodo, in her mind, she didnt think she had Pardon. Which to me sets up the idea that the idea of being unforgiven motivated a lot of her decision making, to her credit. Not that she had something to prove, but that she didnt let that change her soul, ultimately.

Quote:
Holding Lorien blossoming, is against the turn of the tide. To try to reserve it, is a "blasbhemy", not yielding to the "natural" shape of events' unfolding.
It is, and the use of technology augments it. But then again, so is any civilized existense, no? We all blaspheme as soon as we left the tree. It reminds me of a conservation project that is trying to save a certain species from extinction, regardless of the impact, or even whether or not it was our fault. Plenty of extinctions occur, most have happened long before we came on the scene to have an impact. Some would call that a sin, others would call it benevolent, most wouldnt decry blasphemer, would they?
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #214
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Quote:
Quote:
But the Elves are not wholly good or in the right.
Yet not even the valar are entirely good in a corrupted world, esspecially everyone (but the Men) is dependent to a 'tainted' music; moreover, the motivation for this particular actions stems also from Eru:
Quote:
But the Quendi shall be the fairest of all earthly creatures, and they shall have and shall conceive and bring forth more beauty than all my Children
They just did their creator's will and followed their own nature - not much blasphemy to me there.
Quote:
When she says she will 'diminish' and go West, it is literally that - she will give up notions of power and independence as in the Undying Lands there are undoubtedly many Elves greater than she is and she will once more be but one of many.
I think she merely appears weary due to her challenge - she must have put forth a great deal of will power. In the greater sense, all elves of the west are better 'preserverd' phisically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth
That I can well believe, said Finrod: that your bodies suffer in some measure the malice of Melkor. For you live in Arda Marred, as do we, and all the matter of Arda was tainted by him, before ye or we came forth and drew our hroar and their sustenance therefrom: all save only maybe Aman before he came there. For know, it is not otherwise with the Quendi themselves: their health and stature is diminished. Already those of us who dwell in Middle-earth, and even we who have returned to it, find that the change of their bodies is swifter than in the beginning. And that, I judge, must forebode that they will prove less strong to last than they were designed to be, though this may not be clearly revealed for many long years. And likewise with the hroar of Men, they are weaker than they should be. Thus it comes to pass that here in the West, to which of old his power scarcely extended, they have more health, as you say.
yet the elves of ME are enriched wisdom - I would say it is worth the trade . I don't think Galadriel would be a 'common' elf - she did after all get Gimli's admission into Valinor, the people she ruled would still follow her, and her lore is above most elves'.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #215
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Anthology of Anglo-Saxon interest

Quote:
Interesting that Tolkien gives central importance to riddling not to the Rohirrim, but to the hobbits--or at least Gollem and Bilbo. Also interesting that riddles are absent from Beowulf. I can't recall that The Battle of Maldon has any, but it's been some time since I read it. Maybe our resident Old English scholars--Squatter and Fordim-- can suggest why-- if indeed it is the case--riddles are absent from the heroic literature.
To be quite honest, a lot of the belief in the Anglo-Saxon love of riddles is based on conjecture, mainly raised to explain why a bishop would donate a collection of them, some of which are extremely suggestive, to a group of Benedictine monks. Clearly wisdom and knowledge were important to Anglo-Saxons, just as to their cousins in the Norse world, but their own maxims could well have been influenced by biblical models, and much ink has been spent on debating the point. What we might term (and I will because I'm not being marked) the 'greatest hits' of Anglo-Saxon England, apart from the Exeter Book riddles themselves, contain little of the character of Bilbo and Gollum's encounter in The Hobbit. That looks more like the sort of wisdom contest that one encounters in Vafžrśšnismįl (translated here and here), although in the Icelandic poem there are no riddles, only a direct testing of knowledge with a suitably high stake. An Old-English treatment of the same form of contest is Solomon and Saturn, in which the pagan deity, made human in line with early-medieval thinking, contends with the legendarily wise king of Israel. In this latter contest, the stake is not a head but faith: Saturn is eventually convinced of the truth of Christianity and laughs with joy at the realisation.

Perhaps the closest episode to the contest in The Hobbit that I've seen is Alcuin's Disputatio Pippini cum Albino scholastico. This is a Latin work, written at the court of Charlemagne, but its author was a Northumbrian with close ties to the northern English church. Then again, in this third piece, there is no stake. The contest is a light-hearted game between two learned men, scholar and patron, and lacks the confrontational aspects of the two examples above.

What Tolkien did in Riddles in the Dark and throughout The Hobbit was to combine disparate Germanic ideas in a new context (yes, I know there's a word for that, but I don't like it). Bilbo stands in the role of Ošinn, and his head is also at stake. However, instead of the rather disappointing oral examination to which the Norse god and the frost-giant subject one another, Tolkien substitutes actual riddles with the same enthusiasm as did Alcuin. He reconstructs a game in which the Exeter Book riddles might have been used, following the pattern of medieval exemplars.

Heroic poetry has little space for formalised riddle-contests, although it does abound with maxims and contests of wit and intelligence. Indeed, the opening lines of The Finnsburh fragment may be the conclusion of a pseudo-riddle, in which a mysterious phenomenon is described in riddling terms, only to be explained by the hero of the piece. The most obvious point is that heroic literature lives chiefly on the battlefield, whereas riddles are definitely an occupation for an idle hour. There seems little sense in warriors hurling crossword clues at one another when they ought to be throwing spears, and the main use of conundra is therefore to demonstrate the intellectual superiority of the protagonists. In The Hobbit, Bilbo's winning riddle only demonstrates his own confusion, which is probably a subtle joke on Tolkien's part: many hours have been spent in debate over the meaning of Old English riddles.

The Rohirrim, although Anglo-Saxon in many respects, are based on the characters of Old English poetry, which as it survives is not laden with formal riddles. The closest that heroic Anglo-Saxon verse comes to genuine riddles is its extensive use of metaphor and variation, which is used by some to suggest a love of enigmatic speech. Being more rooted in the heroic episodes, the Rohirrim are less likely to show the more playful aspects of surviving Anglo-Saxon culture that Tolkien gives to the Hobbits, although it is unlikely that the Rohirrim were without riddles; I am sure that The Lord of the Rings contains a passing reference by Merry to Théoden's knowledge of them, although I must rely on another member's better memory to confirm or deny this. [EDIT: Actually it doesn't. I looked last night and could find no such reference. Since it doesn't seem to appear in the Letters or Unfinished Tales either, it must have been a figment of my imagination.]

On the subject of Mercia, we should be very circumspect. The Old English form of this name, Mierce means 'border people', which is a good description of both the Rohirrim and the Mercians. The Old English word mearc, mearce means, among other things, a boundary, and Tolkien's use of it in The Lord of the Rings is probably descriptive rather than related to the Anglo-Saxon kingdom. It should also be borne in mind that Mercia does not equal the West Midlands, as Tolkien would have been the first to point out. At its height under Offa, Mercia formed the whole of central England, from the northern borders of Kent and Wessex to the Humber, from parts of modern Wales to East Anglia. Tolkien sometimes described himself as a Mercian, but his fiction in that direction need not have influenced his portrayal of Rohan.

Sorry to continue down what looks to be a cul-de-sac, but in my defence I was asked.

Quote:
As for Tolkien's love of the culture which, as Lal says, "was cut off in its flowering"--and to relate this to the question of nostalgia--I know of at least one Old English scholar who used to hand out a chronology which ended with this:

"1066 Sic Transit Gloria Mundi"
Indeed it does, and, indeed, did: sic semper barbari vincent. This is the main pillar of my proof that in the end every civilisation is destroyed by pretentious nouveaux riches.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rūdh; 02-07-2006 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Several grammatical improvements and the flagged edit
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #216
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Ok, some more on the issue of the rings (letter #181):

I would agree with the first tradition; concerning the second one, Men could only truly advance in matters of wisdom, since their hroar are continuously erroded - unless there is a special divine intervention to help them.
Tolkien does reffer to Numenoreans as "Man rehabilitated", although that was true only for a short while.

Well, that is a bit of a strawman, since I wasn't reffering to the One ring, but to the elven use of magic, concerning which (letter #155):

"Magia could be, was, held good (per se), and goeteia bad. Neither is, in this tale, good or bad (per se), but only by motive or purpose or use. Both sides use both, but with different motives"
Fair enough.

Quote:
From the letter #131:

"The doom of the Elves is to be immortal, to love the beauty of the world, to bring it to full flower with their gifts of delicacy and perfection, to last while it lasts, never leaving it even when 'slain', but returning - and yet, when the Followers come, to teach them, and make way for them, to 'fade' as the Followers grow and absorb the life from which both proceed"
If Tolkien considered his Elves' primary purpose to be the elevation of Man, then he did not write what he intended. All the reading I've done reveals that the Elves' primary purpose was subcreation; teaching Men was a by-product.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #217
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Quote: Raynor
From the letter #131:

Quote: Littlemanpoet
If Tolkien considered his Elves' primary purpose to be the elevation of Man, then he did not write what he intended. All the reading I've done reveals that the Elves' primary purpose was subcreation; teaching Men was a by-product.
It's also always a good thing to make the difference between different kinds of inevitabilities. Something just had to happen, because the way the things around it turned out as they did, or because they were intended by someone / -thing, to fill their function in a grander pattern. (Don't read in here the schism between the theory of evolution and the theory of the ID! It sure lurks there, but this propably isn't the forum for it.)

So on the other hand, things do lead into each other, and thus create the story that is, as looked upon afterwards, the only one that happened; or on the other hand, all things that happen, are being designed beforehand to unfold the way intended.

So elves might just be seen having to wane before the humans', because the way of the world just turned out that way (elves and humans and others making their choices in different situations that would add up the whole story): here they had their noblest chance to pass even some of their own to the later generations in the Middle Earth, by teaching the humans' etc. Or. Then we can see the elves only as filling their role in a grander tale, as the ones' who were "destined" to do just the things they did, ie. that from the very beginning, there was this fate upon elves, and every individual elve's life kind of served this greater purpose.

Who knows, which way Tolkien himself intended this? Was it clear to him, from the very beginning, that elves would fill this role in his world, or was it so, that after all the things he had started and got going, this was the only way the things could come out? Or was there something like "poetic fatalism", that kind of saw and arranged this beforehand, and Tolkien just followed, realizing it only at a later stage?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #218
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Silmaril

Quote:
Of course, we have to be careful not to lay all the 'sin' at Galadriel's door. Tolkien states that this is an Elvish failing, not simply a 'Galadrien' one. Her ambition was higher than her compatriots, so she became greater, but consequently her 'sin' was greater. Its interesting that she 'passes' the test & is allowed to return into the West not because of her efforts in the battle against Sauron, not because of her struggles & sacrifices in the war, but because in the end she repents & chooses humility. It is only when she is prepared to 'diminish' (ie to let go of her dreams of power & become simply herself once more) that she is allowed to go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I'm just wondering on the idea of the Elves' 'purpose' being sub-creation. In a way, Galadriel leaves Valinor for Middle-earth as a result of sub-creation; Feanor is chasing his stolen, sub-created Silmarils and she is one of the group following. She then sub-creates her own realm, and like Feanor, is no stranger to the urges of ambition. By sub-creating, she (like Feanor) makes herself 'bigger'.

Elves are naturally at home in the Undying Lands, but this is a place where they would also presumably be unable to independently pursue the dream of having their own realm. Middle-earth must therefore be an attractive place to them for it not only has great beauty and is the place of the Elves' awakening, but it also offers the potential for independence that the Undying Lands cannot offer. Out of interest, Thingol also remains in Middle-earth and creates a 'magical' realm - I wonder if Galadriel was inspired by this in her wish to create Lothlorien?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #219
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well, Elrond isn't all High Elf is he? so is his nostalgia tempered by his understanding of the Gift of Death? Or is he 'saved' from Galadriel's error by his understanding?
Granted, Galadriel is the only representation of High Elf in LOTR, with the exeption of a quick but intriguing glimpse at Glorfindel. But, I would agree with you Beth about Elrond. Being the progeny of Earendil does place him in a unique position, as far as his insight into mortals go. Yet, he too wields a ring. To what end?

drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #220
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Who knows, which way Tolkien himself intended this? Was it clear to him, from the very beginning, that elves would fill this role in his world, or was it so, that after all the things he had started and got going, this was the only way the things could come out? Or was there something like "poetic fatalism", that kind of saw and arranged this beforehand, and Tolkien just followed, realizing it only at a later stage?
The letter I reffered to predates even the publishing of LotR .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
Middle-earth ... also offers the potential for independence that the Undying Lands cannot offer.
Interestingly enough, that was Melkor's argument ;and as Mandos responds to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
Thou speakest of thraldom. If thraldom it be, thou canst not escape it; for Manwe is King of Arda, and not of Aman only