The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Tolkien Events 2008

Oh yes, like Christmas, some things come around earlier each year

In the latest Amon Hen we have been told that next year's Oxonmoot is an Uber-Moot. It will last from Thursday to Sunday as an extra-special treat. And it will be at Christ Church, the rather posh college which not only houses Oxford's cathedral but the Hogwarts dining hall as seen in the films! Plus it's perfectly located in Oxford, right in the heart of all the colleges, overlooking the Meadows, next to Merton and the Botanical gardens etc.

It will be on the last weekend of September next year. Mmmmm, around my birthdayses...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sounds SUPER cool, lal. Thanks for the news. If this year's O-M goes without disaster or death on my part, I'll most certainly go. I expect it will be slightly more expensive, though, eh?
Still, it will probably be excellent. An extra day of TOLKIEN GEEKERY can't be bad.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The German Tolkien Seminar will be held in Jena from April 25 - 27 this year. The Hobbit will be the topic of lectures from various international speakers, covering a great variety of aspects. Over half of the lectures will be in English, and the seminar itself does not cost anything, so if any of you are interested in coming, please check out the German Tolkien Society page for the programme.

Anke Eismann has again provided the illustration for the invitation; here it is. (Sorry, the file was too large to upload directly.)

(And yes, some of you may recognize the name of one or more of the speakers...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Esty, when I tried to open that image it opened a page with a picture that said "stop, image locked"....
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The German Tolkien Seminar will be held in Jena from April 25 - 27 this year. The Hobbit will be the topic of lectures from various international speakers, covering a great variety of aspects. Over half of the lectures will be in English, and the seminar itself does not cost anything, so if any of you are interested in coming, please check out the German Tolkien Society page for the programme.

Anke Eismann has again provided the illustration for the invitation; here it is. (Sorry, the file was too large to upload directly.)

(And yes, some of you may recognize the name of one or more of the speakers...)
Esty, you know what? Lots of the lectures indeed seem to be in English... and I just checked the map and Jena seems not too far from the border... soo... if I managed to organize the things for myself, then...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-22-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You're right, Lommy - I just tried and the same thing happened to me. Then just check out Anke's site; it's her latest post, and if you click on the image you can see it larger. Here's the link: http://anke.edoras-art.de/anke_home.html

Legate, that would be fantastic! I was at the last two seminars, and they are really interesting. Besides, there aren't hundreds of people there, so it's not hard to get to know others. And I hope I'm no stranger for you! Jena is indeed in eastern Germany, so if that's not far for you, it would certainly be worth the effort. I'm not sure what the lowest-priced accommodation is - probably a youth hostel - but if you want help finding something, let me know and I'll ask around.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well if it did not seem interesting to me, I wouldn't have thought about it in the first place I have never been on an action like this outside my country, and this is a good opportunity to start. How many people are usually around there, anyway?
Concerning my coming there, like I said - I have to check everything and ensure that it is possible for me to organize it, but if you can help me in any way, it will be most appreciated. Maybe through some PMing we can discuss this more... and no, you are not a stranger to me, or at least I don't count you as one And of course if I go there, meeting you is without question.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Booking for next Oxonmoot will be open soon, apparently. But if I remember last year aright, saying 'soon' meant 'three months'.
I wonder, how many Downers will be coming? I'd like to know how many copies of my special Newspaper to print off and other things.

Also, in reaction to a terrible injustice that happened last year, I'd like to invite as many Downers as possible to bring biscuits and tea for the welcome buffet that we had to PAY FOR last year. I want to set up a separate table with FREE, good quality, biscuits and such, as a protest against what I saw as a terrible occurrence. Making people PAY for biscuits, it's not natural, I say!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't know about Oxonmoot

but the June Seminar looks very interesting and I shall try to go to that ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm afraid it will be too expensive for us. I nearly had a coronary when I saw the prices listed in Amon Hen.

Ł35 registration
Ł180 for a bog standard room (with no bog )
Ł400+ for a twin en-suite (which is what we'd need)
Ł25 for the Friday banquet
Ł15 each for the other meals

Then chuck in the Ł60-Ł70 for travel and times it all by two...

It might well be in the 'Harry Potter' college but I'd have to raid Gringrott's to justify expense like that now.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I'm afraid it will be too expensive for us. I nearly had a coronary when I saw the prices listed in Amon Hen.

Ł35 registration
Ł180 for a bog standard room (with no bog )
Ł400+ for a twin en-suite (which is what we'd need)
Ł25 for the Friday banquet
Ł15 each for the other meals

Then chuck in the Ł60-Ł70 for travel and times it all by two...

It might well be in the 'Harry Potter' college but I'd have to raid Gringrott's to justify expense like that now.
Expense is a factor for me .especially factoring a day holiday - I shan't stay in college -or at least not that college. I can't justify three nights accommodation when I shan't go to the evening do on opening night and won't go to Enyalie. Either I shall day trip, stay one night maybe at Keble again - if the ents are going to be an improvement ... or check in at the travelodge. I thought the food prices were outrageous last year and made my own arrangements.

For Ł400 you could probably rent a flat for a week....

Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I can't believe the cost of the rooms when you can get B&B (with parking and your own toilet) for at the most Ł70 for a couple on Abingdon Road. We might stretch to it if we choose to do that and at least we would get a decent night's sleep! The meals are a bit outrageous too. I know of at a cafe directly opposite where Ł15 would buy you a fine feast for two.

I certainly wouldn't want to subject the poor child to the 'ents' - they might traumatise him

Whereabouts is the Travelodge?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
For Ł400 you could probably rent a flat for a week....
Or everyone get together and rent a time share condo, lots of space, lots of bedrooms. I assume Oxford has those?

I really enjoyed the B&B we had in York, was clean, comfortable, they even gave us an extra room free of charge for the nippers. Really, it's just snob appeal to say you've slept in such and such a college at Oxford. Especially since the colleges are so wealthy anyway.

Now, if one of Tolkien's homes was turned into a B&B . . .
Old 03-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Err I am not sure what a condo(minium?) is though I am fairly it isn't what first impressions might lead one to think....

As for the food - I indulged at a very upmarket deli in St Giles and a sunny spot in the Parks for a fraction of the cost of the sandwich lunch.

There is one at Wolvercote - and I would have stayed there if I drove.
do if driving (or half of a couple since the cost makes it a no brainer even witha taxi or two. However I took the train and stayed at Keble which was for a lone traveller not unreasonable for an ensuite, central room. But for a couple it is madness - the Randolph starts looking reasonable. Of course it is an experience staying in Hall and was safe and more sociable for a singleton. However for the younger folk they could save a fortune at the bright and shiny Youth Hostel by the station...

Just looked up the Oxford Peartree Travelodge. If you booked now it would be Ł49 for a family room a night Basically it is at ther far end of the Woodstock Rd and round the corner from the cemetary so you could make a quick getaway after Enyalie if so inclined. Breakfast isn't included in that price but you do get tea and coffee making facilites , a king size bed and telly.... just in case you have a low tolerancefor rubbish poetry

Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Bethberry's idea isn't half bad actually if anyone wants to try that! I've just looked up self catering places and there are quite a few lovely flats and houses in central Oxford (one was very, very nice indeed) sleeping from 2-6 people and available for short stays. Probably works out at no more than Ł100 each or so...I'm well used to holidaying like that, too. Hotels are a luxury to me
Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

For all you Oxonmooters...

If you are taking the train to Oxford then ordering your tickets from virgintrains.co.uk will ensure you get them at the cheapest possible.
You can only book them 12 weeks in advance. I worked out that this means Thursday July 3rd is the earliest you can order one.
But be warned, the closer to the time you book, the more expensive it will be.
For me, this means paying a mere Ł52 rather than Ł170.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I had no idea the accomodation was so expensive. . .I am quite shocked. Also the prices for food seems quite steep, especially when you take into consideration that at these things the food is seldom brilliant.

Surely one could find a cheap place to stay. . .I normally stay at hostels and such when traveling and really don't mind it.

I am determined to go this year and will register as soon as possible. . .then there is no way for me to back out. The only thing that could really make me back out, would be if no downers went.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

There is a YHA ("Official") youth hostel near the station and various back packers Rune which would be a lot, lot less...and not very far. And there are plenty of places to eat cheaper - I didn't take any of the food last year. I did have lunch the year before which wasn't too outrageous for a hot meal. Ł7.50 for someone elses choice of sandwiches is steep...

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Sounds great. . .thanks for the info Mith.

Now I cannot let the housing "problem" scare me away

Anyways I am all for joining up with other downers as Bethberry sugested, it sounds like fun and I would not mind spending more money on it. (than if I stayed at a hostel)

Old 03-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommoda...acilities.aspx

http://www.centralbackpackers.co.uk/...hp?area=prices

http://www.hostels.co.uk/index.php?content=home.htm

These are all very central. and will be a lot cheaper ..particularly if you don't want to commit to 3 nights.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #21
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Oxonmoot online bookings will be open 1st of April. Let's hope it's not an April fools prank.

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/oxon/2008/Info.html

It appears they are still looking for entertainment for the Saturday... Any Downers fancy putting on a play? Or should I bring a projector and show the phantom and Alien cartoons* and confuse the heck out of everyone.

*(We're currently making a new one ready for either the Downs birthday or the 100th episode, whichever comes first)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 AM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

ONLINE BOOKING FOR OXONMOOT IS NOW OPENED

https://ssl121.securednshost.com/~to.../2008/form.php

Let there be cake.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I see they are only offering dinner this time ... and still very expensive - I found my Keble booklet yesterday and they offered a 3 course evening meal for Ł9.95..

and it is more expensive than my stay at Keble was for an ensuite room. And they can't mean a twin is more expensive PP than a single?

If I go I certainly shall not stay in hall....

Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #24
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I just wanted to add that I was in Oxford last year (not for Oxonmoot), and stayed at the Peartree Travelodge. It was nice, and very cheap for a hotel as opposed to a hostel (we booked it over a month prior and got a sale). Not sure how much it costs normally, but it's certainly better if you're not traveling alone (paying for a whole room for yourself). Bit of a longer bus ride to and fro Oxford center, but we were satisfied. Watched the Zidane-headbutt Cup there.

Last edited by Beregond; 04-15-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #25
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Tolkien Society

2008 Seminar: Freedom, Fate and Choice in Middle-earth

Some of the titles accepted so far include:

"Who Forged Frodo's Fate - The Elves or Himself?"
"Voices of a Music - Models of Free Will in Tolkien's Middle-earth"
"The Fiat of Ilúvatar's Children during the War of the Ring"
"Freedom, Fate, and the Hubris of Evil: Tolkien's The Children of Húrin"

I have booked ot go to this in a few weeks time and it looks quite interesting. I know that it means something different but I now can't help wondering if Gandalf and Aragorn travelled in was a Scudo, Doblo or a Ducato.....

Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #26
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:

"Who Forged Frodo's Fate - The Elves or Himself?"
"Voices of a Music - Models of Free Will in Tolkien's Middle-earth"
"The Fiat of Ilúvatar's Children during the War of the Ring"
"Freedom, Fate, and the Hubris of Evil: Tolkien's The Children of Húrin"
Nr 1. and 2. seems very interesting, especially nr. 2.

Quote:
I have booked ot go to this in a few weeks time and it looks quite interesting. I know that it means something different but I now can't help wondering if Gandalf and Aragorn travelled in was a Scudo, Doblo or a Ducato.....
I actually think that a Panda is the more likely choise of a wizard.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post

I actually think that a Panda is the more likely choise of a wizard.
Hmm...sorry - Gandalf's favoured form of transport is clearly stated in LotR:

Quote:
Legolas and Gimli were to ride again together in the company of Aragorn and Gandalf, who went in the van with the Dunedain and the sons of Elrond. But Merry to his shame was not to go with them. (The Black Gate Opens)
I suspect this is the same vehicle mentioned earlier in Battle of the Pelennor Fields:

Quote:
But northward the white crest of Eomer led the great front of the Rohirrim which he had again gathered and marshalled; and out of the City came all the strength of men that was in it, and the silver swan of Dol Amroth was borne in the van, driving the enemy from the Gate.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #28
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Your point being?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #29
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nope- that's simply too small for so many passengers....Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Gandalf, Elladan & Elrohir & a load of hairy Dunedain. You'd be looking at a Transit at the least...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Nope- that's simply too small for so many passengers....Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Gandalf, Elladan & Elrohir & a load of hairy Dunedain. You'd be looking at a Transit at the least...
I didnt' know they did a Panda van! I had an old Fiat Panda for a while - it was brilliant and suprisingly spacy... It could probably cope with all save the Dunedain.
Aragorn and Gandalf in the front , elf and half elves in the back (they are lean), dwarf in the boot. Easy.

I think Eomer also went in the van at some point.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #31
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:

I think Eomer also went in the van at some point.
On the way to Helm's Deep:
Quote:
Aragorn and Legolas went now with Eomer in the van.
I'm assuming there was only the one van used during the whole of the War of the Ring as Tolkien is very specific - always the van. But where did they get the petrol?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #32
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I wish I could go to Oxonmoot, but I can't. First of all the plane tickets would be oober expensive and plus my parents wouldn't want to go, my dad doesn't like Middle-Earth anything and hasn't read any Tolkien related books, and my mom hasn't read any Tolkien related books either... but at least she likes LotR (movies)...

maybe Laurinque and I can save up enough money to go to Oxonmoot, but that will likely be after we graduate from high-school and take our big trip around the world... Poor me... We'll just have to make our own Tolkien event... we could invite our friends!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

You may well find that there is a local Tolkien Society - at least 2 of the speakers last year were American... and while your parents may dislike Tolkien (my family think I am crazy but humour me) I am sure they would love Oxford. They could leave you at the Moot and explore or go up to Blenheim Palace or Stratford. Usually it really is just the Saturday.

They may well like other Oxford writers, Lewis Caroll, Dorothy L Sayers, Pullman, CS Lewis, or have an interest in History. I have been privileged to travel a great deal and few places are as heartstoppingly lovely as Oxford.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
On the way to Helm's Deep:

I'm assuming there was only the one van used during the whole of the War of the Ring as Tolkien is very specific - always the van. But where did they get the petrol?
I reckon it was specially adapted to run on biofuel... err the by-products of the fourfooted transport method....

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #35
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
You may well find that there is a local Tolkien Society - at least 2 of the speakers last year were American... and while your parents may dislike Tolkien (my family think I am crazy but humour me) I am sure they would love Oxford. They could leave you at the Moot and explore or go up to Blenheim Palace or Stratford. Usually it really is just the Saturday.

They may well like other Oxford writers, Lewis Caroll, Dorothy L Sayers, Pullman, CS Lewis, or have an interest in History. I have been privileged to travel a great deal and few places are as heartstoppingly lovely as Oxford.
My mom and I are big fans of the Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis) But there is still the problem of plane tickets. I should bug my parents... I was reading the info for Oxonmoot and it said that people under 15 (which I am, by one year) need to be watched by and adult, in other words I need a babysitter... If and when I go, I will make my mother dearest read the books.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
. I should bug my parents... I was reading the info for Oxonmoot and it said that people under 15 (which I am, by one year) need to be watched by and adult, in other words I need a babysitter... If and when I go, I will make my mother dearest read the books.
Well it would be an expensive trip so be kind to them - sadly there are lots of boring things that have first call on the wallet.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I am off to discover the truth about that van at first sparrow tomorrow... I'll try and give you all the gory details

Tootle-oo

Old 06-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #38
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
[QUOTE=TheGreatElvenWarrior;559252]the plane tickets would be oober expensive QUOTE]

Don't you mean uber (über)?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #39
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

[quote=Eönwë;561212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
the plane tickets would be oober expensive QUOTE]

Don't you mean uber (über)?
Maybe! But I like putting two o's next to each other, a word looks cooler that way.

And, if I want to go to Oxonmoot... Better start praying now... Maybe sending my mom the information that Hookbill provided was a good idea after all! My mom, Laurinque, her mom, and I could all go together!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 06-29-2008 at 02:26 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #40
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm back from the German Tolkien Society's annual get-together (called the Tolkien Thing - the second word has an Old German meaning, so don't think of it in its modern usage). We stayed in a lovely old castle in Upper Bavaria for the weekend; it's now used as a youth hostel, so the accommodations weren't luxurious, but who cares when the company is great?!

This was a special year, as we are celebrating our 10th anniversary. Commemorative T-shirts, mugs, and other items were popular souvenirs.

Aside from the yearly business meeting (a necessary evil) we had some lectures, some workshops, and some entertainment. Among other things we showed our self-made costumes in a fashion show and learned how to design, cut, and sew new ones.

One of the guest stars was the Canadian Tolkien artist Ted Nasmith, who showed slides of his work and later painted a picture while we watched in awed silence. He was also so kind as to draw a wonderful Treebeard picture in my album; I'll show it on my blog when I get it uploaded. On the last morning he gave a concert of his Tolkien songs.

Another guest star was Caspar Reiff, founder of the Danish group Tolkien Ensemble and one of its composers. He told us of the history of the group and revealed some of its plans for the future - very interesting stories and anecdotes!

The Italian musicians Lingalad gave a concert on Saturday evening which we all enjoyed very much; the atmosphere of the inner court of the castle as a location was wonderful!

I don't suppose any of you would be terribly surprised that I was part of a group that spontaneously put together a parody story during a couple of spare hours on Saturday. "LotR Reloaded" was thought up by four of us who had nothing better to do - and didn't we have fun doing it! - and written by the one who is the best writer (no, not me). She presented it in a reading on Saturday evening, fresh off the press, so to speak, and it was hugely enjoyed by the audience.

As always, money was spent at René van Rossenberg's shop; I managed to find two rare books of Tolkien-based music that I couldn't resist.

It is a very enjoyable experience to meet other Tolkien fans in real life, and I'm enjoying it more each year, as I get to know more of the members. There's very much a family feeling to our get-togethers that makes me look forward to the next time when one event is past.