The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #1
flyingtable83
Pile O'Bones

flyingtable83 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Villians R Us

I don't know if this has been asked before, but what is the villian that you most enjoy reading about, utterly despise (beyond the obvious), or even kinda like?

For me it's Glaurung. It is both interesting to read about him and also the way he tricked Turin was so hideous that I find him beyond the repulsiveness of even his master's wickedness.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 AM   #2
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Melkor roasts my chestnuts. Definitely the be-all and end-all in all-round bad eggs.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:40 AM   #3
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely Morgoth/Melkor. Mmmmmm.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Nazgûl, they absolutely roast my chestnuts! (Sorry Stephanos) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

The Balrogs. They are my definition of 'perfect demonic creature.'
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
flyingtable83
Pile O'Bones

flyingtable83 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To expand upon my original question...What is it about your fav bad boy that "roasts your chestnuts"? Is there something specific that really gets you?

Quote:
And now thou shalt know him: a stabber in the dark, treacherous to foes, faithless to friends, and a curse unto his kin, Turin of Hurin! But the worst of all his deeds thou shalt feel in thyself.
- Glaurung to Niniel, Silmarillion
Geez, he killed Turin, Niniel, and their unborn child. He made Morwen run off into the wild, killed Turin's friends, made him break a promise to another, and all this while Hurin was held in Angband!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #7
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I like Balrogs because they are big, fiery, shadowy demons that carry around whips of flame and instill fear in the hearts of the brave. They are original creations of Tolkien (okay, Morgoth if you want) and they are even somewhat intelligent! Balrogs rock! Woo hoo!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:41 PM   #8
The Necromancer
Pile O'Bones

The Necromancer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sauron! Sauron is definitely my favorite villain!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 04:22 PM   #9
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like all the evil people/creatures. I haven't read the Silm. yet ( [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]), so i'm basing this on LotR. I really like Grima Wormtongue! and gollum. deffinetly gollum. and the 'Mouth of Sauron' is one of my favourite characters.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:23 PM   #10
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

Definately Melkor/Morgoth. I think he's a fascinating character. And I absolutely love Gollum. He's hilarious in a weird twisted sort of way [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:09 PM   #11
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Whos our favorite villan? Gollum! Yesss preciouss, we loves Gollum.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:40 AM   #12
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well Galadriel, you and I have A bit in common.

Leseeee........
The villan I hate the most is Melkor/Morgoth. Like the Valar Nienna, I weep over all the hurt he causes.

In my opinion, Gollum is almost cute in a disgusting, revolting sort of way.

The villan I enjoy reading about and actually kinda like would be Grima Wormtongue. I do not know why, but I find him rather complex and fascinating.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:10 AM   #13
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Melkor/Morgoth!! He is the original bad guy. He is responsible for everyone's chestnuts being roasted. Without him, there wouldn't be any bad guys to roast chestnuts.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:03 PM   #14
Elsaur
Pile O'Bones

Elsaur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elsaur Send a message via AIM to Elsaur
The Eye

aww that's not nice.none of them are evil. like me they're just missunderstood.okay i'm not missunderstood i am evil but they're missunderstood.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #15
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

Good point!!! I always like the villains... maybe it's cause I understand them.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:26 PM   #16
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

What?? Have you all gone mad? Yes, Gollum, Balrogs and the Nazgul are cool, and yeah, Morgoth/Melkor and Glaurung are very evil... But what about the ULTIMATE monster? Eternal, practically invincible, creatures of immense strength and cunning and yet, paradoxically, beautiful. DRAGONS!!!!!!! Sheesh. Smaug's awesome, as are the others but I don't know any other ME dragons very well. Fire, flight, power, inteligence... it doesn't get any better than that! Thus saith NyteSky, Dragon Rider. (ok, maybe I'm a little prejudiced)
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:23 AM   #17
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello out there--this is my first post. I don't know where to start (these boards seem to have a great deal of content), so I'll start here.

As for my favorite villain, I'd say it's a tie between two of them: Melkor and Ungoliant. Melkor is the original bad guy/creature, and Ungloiant is just repulsive--I also hate spiders, which helps.
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 06:45 AM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Melichus! Make yourself at home.

Gollum is my favorite villin. But only because he is so intresting. He's always struggling with himself. (and Sam)

Shelob is the scariest, creepiest, etc. Her part has a big impact and is almost the death of Sam and Frodo. And cause I have that dratted Arachnaphobia (sp).
Old 08-31-2002, 07:41 AM   #19
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

will I be roasted alive if I refer to Feanor as a villain????? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ungoliant is terrible.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 08:38 AM   #20
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
and the 'Mouth of Sauron' is one of my favourite characters
Uh, can you explain why? I'm just curious, what did the Mouth of Sauron actually do? Am I missing something here? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

[ August 31, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:19 PM   #21
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

as the one and only hobbitish paladin(that i know of), i'd say Morgoth is the one who irks me most. it's just, grr, it can't be put into words, not even elven words-it's horrible. the nazgul, except the fact they were reliant on the one ring were, without a doubt, very cool. i would've been one and not a hobbitish paladin if for that one fact(the ring reliance). balrogs strike me as odd looking and strange-i get feelings of pity more than anger or fear when i see one-the fire is nice(FIREGOOD!!), but the overall look struck me as sort of a damper to your charisma, doncha know. Sauron, though, gets 1st place for cool armor and NICE WEAPONRY!! Forget the ring, I WANT HIS MACE!!! don't know if it did in the book what it did in the movie, BUT I DON'T CARE!! besides, a mace like that would do better throwing hordes of orcs into the air as opposed to humans. i personally don't care for dragons all that much-even if they are juggernaughts of destruction. Valar could toast them without overmuch effort, ecspeccially if in large groups.

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 09-04-2002, 06:29 PM   #22
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

If you can classify Fëanor as a villain, I call Boromir.

If not, I call Gothmog (the Balrog, not that crappy "Lieutenant of Sauron" guy).
Old 09-05-2002, 02:40 PM   #23
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
"and the 'Mouth of Sauron' is one of my favourite characters"

Uh, can you explain why? I'm just curious, what did the Mouth of Sauron actually do? Am I missing something here?
No, you're not missing anythin. he's just soooo creepy. Reading that chapter sent shivers up my spine (literally!).
After thinking about it, I've decided the Mouth of Sauron is my third or fourth favourite character, just cuz he's soooooo creepy (i know, that's a stupid reason, but i'm a stupid person, so there [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img])
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:54 PM   #24
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will never forgive Shelob for making me think Frodo was dead. Damn spideress.

One of the worst villian 'moments' I think is when the orcs have captured Frodo after he is poisoned by Shelob and they are discussing what they should do with him. Sam is listening in, if I remember and the two orcs are called Gorbag and Shagrat. One says something to the efeect of "All prisoners are to be stripped," and the other says "What? Hair, teeth, nails and all?"

Orcs are very evil. That was not a nice thing to say. and it wasn't a joke.

The Nazgul scared the hell out of me when I first read the book.

I like Gollum because he's a deep character and he wasn't really evil, just twisted.

Enough rambling.....onward!
Old 09-06-2002, 11:44 PM   #25
Craban
Pile O'Bones

Craban has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hee hee, Crebain from Dunland. We're nasty black birds who will spy on you. And then we'll poop on your head.

Well, it is true that Melkor it was who caused all later chestnuts to be roasted, and he is one nasty piece of work, in a spectacularly powerful kind of way. But I also have a special shudder for Ungoliant...spiders, urg, yes...but the way in which she poisoned the Two Trees, and even tried to off Melkor for the Silmarils....wow. Yecccch!

I find the Nazgul compelling because we know so little about them. There's no denying they're scary. Would they be more or less scary if we knew who they'd been?
Craban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 05:31 AM   #26
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

My vote goes to Ancalagon the Black, the greatest fire drake of all time.

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] FIRE [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] FIRE [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]