The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2002, 03:58 PM   #1
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamgee
Sting ways to freak friends and family out with LOTR

I found a bunch of these on a different site, and I added some of my own, just thought these were funny. Add your own too!

When you and your parents go to bed, or when you are at a sleep over and everyone is preparing to go to sleep, pick up your flashlight and yell"The Light of Galadriel!!"

tell people how you need sword lessons(in case of Orcs)

Put the lotr soundtrack on the massive speakers and blast it out at full volume, best when done late at night, when family is trying to sleep, or when all your friends are crammed into your car.

Mutter about precious constantly and accuse your parents or friends of stealing your ring whenever it is lost.

Sneak up behind your family or friends and do your best impression of a Nazgul scream

At odd and random intervals, yell, "Frodo lives!" or "Run Frodo Run!" or various other quotes from the movie. Just slip then in in random conversations.

when ever you are served some kind of food that looks questionable, or that you hate, mutter "What is this new devilry?"

When someone asks you to get something, tell them this is an important quest and you can't do it alone, or better yet, say "I will do it! I will find the (insert item here)... although I do not know where it is."

Whenever your family, or your friends go to the beach, make them sing Legolas' song of the sea all the way there. If they don't know it, teach them line by line and make them sing it over and over again. Also sing Bilbo's traveling song on long trips.

when anyone falls and hurts themselfs yell, " Kingsfoil, we must get Kingsfoil!"

Keep imitating the frodo dance (the one that looks remarkably like the funky chicken...)

When someone asks you to pass the salt/pepper say "If you want it come and claim it!!", or if you want someone to pass it to you, yell "HAND ME THE SALT, SHE ELF!!!" (best done in a crowded resturaunt)

Start chanting Arwen's spell whenever you're mad at someone

use various stairs to re-enact that Moria scene

use your little brothers/sisters or smaller friends as dwarves, for dwarve tossing contests

Speak only in Elvish, refuse to answer to any other languge.

come up with Elvish, Dwarvish, or Hobbitish names for your friends and family, and only call them by those names.

dye your bedsheets black to complete your Nazgul costume

generally act like gollum

Quote tolkien continuously, endlessly, compare every little thing to tolkien, and, if you can't think of any link, just say "It reminds me of Numenor"

Scream out loud 'MY PRECIOUS' to your parents when they take something from you or you want something

Whenever someone wants to get in a door, stand in front of it and say "The Doors of the Lord of Moria( Can't really remember what it says) Speak, Friend and Enter."

Wear your ring and when anyone talks to you tell them, "I'm Invisible, You can't see me!!

Actually eat elevenses and second breakfast. Ask everybody else to join you

When doing improv for play tryouts, immediatly go into a scene from the movie(I.E."I ain't droppin' no eaves, sir, honest!...I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world. Please don't hurt me, sir, don't turn me into anything *gulp* unnatural.")

When people ask whats written on your ring tell them in black speech (Ash nak...) (This one really doesn't sound funny until you actuallly do it.)

Make a model of mt. doom with mashed potatoes and lots of ketchup.

Get a friend, grab a transcript, and read through the entire movie in a public place. Make sure that your Gandalf-in-Moria voice is really loud, and light something on fire for the balrog.

Whenever your parents leave the house, cry, "You need someone of intelligence on this sort of . . . mission . . . quest . . . thing!" Then jump in the car. About half way there, ask, "Where we goin'?"

Next time you get in trouble with your parents, haughtily reply to them, "Gondor has no parents. Gondor needs no parents."

Next time you are late for something, and someone yells at you, say, "I am never late. Nor am I early. I arrive precisely when I mean to."

Jump on people's backs and yell, "Noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim!"

P.S. Pardon the length of it, but there were so many funny ones!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I've got some more about school related things, but I'll post them later, or I'll just start another thread...

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Gamgee ]

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Gamgee ]
Old 07-29-2002, 04:08 PM   #2
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

LOL I live by this one
Quote:
Actually eat elevenses and second breakfast. Ask everybody else to join you
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That great thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2002, 04:49 PM   #3
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that's hilarious but you might want to post the rest in middle earth mahem to get more of a reaction [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

but my favourite is definately

Get a friend, grab a transcript, and read through the entire movie in a public place. Make sure that your Gandalf-in-Moria voice is really loud, and light something on fire for the balrog.(invisions twig stuck in the ground heehheeheheeheehe) oh the possibilities!! .::sigh from histerical laughter::.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Sting

thanks, i didn't see that message board at first! is there any way to move the thread? or do I have to get someone of authority to do it?
Old 07-29-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
wow, i gotta try some of these! but i always generally act like gollum, and i love blasting the soundtrack outside and annoying people. yelling Noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim. tried it on my horse. doesnt work. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
-Whenever someone wants to get in a door, stand in front of it and say "The Doors of the Lord of Moria( Can't really remember what it says) Speak, Friend and Enter."-
heh heh heh, i painted the doors on my closet. hee hee hee. (well, it was a rainbow version. it looks really cool.)

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: gollum*elf*pup ]
Old 07-29-2002, 10:01 PM   #6
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

These are HILARIOUS, Gamgee!!! You've got to tell me where you got them!

The really funny thing is that my little sisters already do most of this stuff (okay, so maybe I have too...). Once when my mother was angry at them they hollered, "A Elbereth, Gilthoniel" until she forgot what it was she was angry about because she was laughing so hard.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:08 AM   #7
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Hah! I have to try these for myself!

Although I usually takes the quote "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger" and turns it into what I need for the moment.. like in the chat some days ago.. "Do not meddle in the affairs of Gayahithwen, for she is crazy and have a huge frying pan".. *ahem* Just thought I would add that..

I have also told my dad I need archery lessons.. although not given him any reason why..
Old 07-30-2002, 02:26 AM   #8
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

These are so funny, Gamgee!! You have to tell me where you found them...

But... many of these wouldn't work with my parents or friends... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] They didn't read LotR. So... the only one who would understand these, would be me.

Anyway... I want to read more of this.

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: Anunia ]

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:47 AM   #9
Gayahithwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

Anunia.. Well, that is quite fun as well.. Yelling LotR things at people who won't understand it.. Like my little brother.. He has only seen the movie, but don't know anything else.. Some days ago, I locked the door in front of me and I yelled "Edro! Edro!" outside untill he opened and asked me if I was sick.. ^_^

Hehe.. These are just so fun.. Hhhhmm.. anyone remembers some quote I can tell my little brother when it's my time to have the computer?!? I at least know that when he thinks it's his turn, I'll yell "Noooo, nooo.. my preciousss!!!!!"
Ahem, actually it is his turn now, so I better leave.. ^_^I'll update with reactions later on.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 09:01 AM   #10
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry this would never work in my house they all think i'm a freak to begin with! they are funny though!!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #11
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the summer I actually do eat elevensies (I hate breakfast food but can't wait to eat until lunch time). My parents think it's funny. I also like to slip quotes from the book or movie into conversations at opportune times, especially "My Preciousssss," but my family still doesn't get freaked out. I guess they're so used to my eccentricity that they're used to that sort of thing. I love it!
Old 07-30-2002, 09:47 AM   #12
Gayahithwen
Wight

Sting

arenelendil --> the reason with all this is to make them think you're a freak.. If you are afraid of them thinking so about you, then you aren't a true Tolkien-ite! ^_^ lol, just kidding..

By the way, my brother just raised an eyebrow when I did the "my precious"-scene about the computer.. Maybe he is getting to used to me being insane.. oh well.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i know that but they all whisper etc i don't care i think it's funny that they have no idea just how big this is! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
My friends say i'm in a cult well may be i am. why is it that people can get worked up about football but i can't about a group of books without someone raising a eyebrow!
[img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #14
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Well actually, I got them from the message boards of Ringbearer, which isn't working right now, but I saved some of the threads and I just decided to post some of them here. I don't know when Ringbearer will be back up, but I'll tell you when it is, if you would like to know...There are a lot of people who come up with Top Ten Lists and such..I only wish I could come up with some, I feel so un-creative right now... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] but all is well [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gamgee ]
Old 07-30-2002, 12:31 PM   #15
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Those were really funny!!! I love them all.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:51 PM   #16
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wow!!!!! they are brilliant!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

i am soooo going to use them! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Omg. Those are hilarious!!! Thanx for posting them. I might use some on my non-tolkien freaks friends. Or my teachers. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:49 AM   #18
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't try any of that if your dad is psycologist.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #19
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another one that I have done:

I took my dad's wedding ring (wich looks like the one ring) And started yelling I must throw the ring into mount doom! It is a good thing that my dad has read LOTR otherwise he might have gotten mad at me. He did make me give it back though. I called him Sauron. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 09:05 AM   #20
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL! These are great. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here's a few that I'm infamous for:

I make up custom elvish insults, then whenever I'm mad at anyone I start mumbling them under my breath. Freaks them out every time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I translate my favorite Enya songs into quenya, and then go around the house singing the translation(as an added bonus, it's a nifty way to help me learn quenya).

Also, during the school year a couple of us Tolkien fans write our elvish names in Tengwar on every paper we have to(instead of our "real" ones). Drove our Bio teacher NUTS last year. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]:
Old 08-07-2002, 12:58 PM   #21
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the best way to do your gollum impression is to act like you don't realise you did it trust me you can really scare people!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 06:02 PM   #22
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
I've got some more about school related things, but I'll post them later
Post them! Please! These are so funny and I want to hear more!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 12:56 AM   #23
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whenever you squash or spray a spider, yell out;
"Gilthoniel a Elbereth! Die, spawn of Ungoliant!"
Old 08-10-2002, 11:42 PM   #24
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gamgee, you are my new favorite person on the planet. Where did you get these from anyway! MUST KNOW!!!!! another good site that has general weirdness is The Procrastinator's Aid-do yahoo search, it should come up. "when on an elevator, shake everyone's hand as they come in and say, 'just call me admiral.'" is it ok if i put one in my sig? reply quick-time is of the essence

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 08-10-2002, 11:48 PM   #25
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When someone asks you to get something, tell them this is an important quest and you can't do it alone, or better yet, say "I will do it! I will find the (insert item here)... although I do not know where it is."

I have got to try this one.

Start chanting Arwen's spell whenever you're mad at someone - that would not freak people out, that would just plain scare the tar out of them!

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:04 AM   #26
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my weird sister has this suggestion for younger kids-when walking in for the first day of school, when assigned to your desks, latch onto it and hiss, "it's mine...my own...my purrrrrecious!"
Old 08-11-2002, 05:45 PM   #27
Arwen Undómiel
Pile O'Bones

Arwen Undómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Really nice this thread!!!
I annoying all my family and friends to like LotR. And they are really tired of me talking about it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2002, 06:05 PM   #28
Valesse

LMAO!! you peolpe have some great stuff, I guess... my habit of calling Pop Tarts, lembas isn't totally scary any more, Thanks for the Ideas! (You have now placed before your selves a terrible bain, one worse than Sauron had ever hoped his trinkit would ever become) MWAHAHAHAHA!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2002, 10:47 PM   #29
Vanacorien

Sting

I used to take archery lessons, and after seeing the movie, I started up practicing again...I'm getting pretty good at it again! It drives my parents crazy, because I've used a few of the plants in the backyard for target practice! A few of my friends and I figured out our names in elvish, and will only call each other by those names!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:24 PM   #30
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

When someone isn't listening to you, say: "Lasto beth nin". I've actually done it so often that my sister listens to me when I say it! (It means: Hear my voice, but you all probably knew that)
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 PM   #31
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Sting

wow!! I didn't know this thread was gonna be this popular!! I got these off of another website that I post on, but it's down right now, so none of the local loonies can post there yet...Yeah, you can put one in your sig, I don't think they will mind. hmm..*ponders about posting the school-related ones up* I'll have to do it later, because I am suppose to be doing my homework now...shh..don't tell!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #32
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
When doing improv for play tryouts, immediatly go into a scene from the movie(I.E."I ain't droppin' no eaves, sir, honest!...I heard a good deal about a ring, and a dark lord, and something about the end of the world. Please don't hurt me, sir, don't turn me into anything *gulp* unnatural.")
That would be mine. (as it's one of my faves)
Or:
*Gets teary eyed* "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo! A promise! 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee!' Gandalf said, 'Don't you leave him!' and I don't mean to--choke--I don't mean to! "
(The terrible thing is I really do tear up on that one..... )
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:39 PM   #33
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
My humble additions...

Use the word "dwimmerlaik" in everyday conversation. For example, when someone is annoying you, don't tell them, "Go away." Say instead, "Begone, foul dwimmerlaik!"

Recite the inscription on the Ring (Ash Nazg durbatuluk, Ash Nazg gimbatul, etc...) to people, and freak them out.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:49 AM   #34
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Quote:
Get a friend...act out the whole movie
Been there, done that. My friends and I did it on a Pittsburgh street corner. We made 7.93 because people felt bad for us and thought we were crazy homeless people doing it for money.

- Whenever somebody tries to get by you in the school hallways, scream "You SHALL NOT PASS!!!!"

- I bought a bow and arrows at a sporting goods store. When my dad asked me what it was for, I mumbled something about the servants of the Dark Lord returning to the forests of the world.

- Call your enemies dwimmerlaiks and foul beasts of Mordor. Threaten to smite them. Our terroristic threat policy says nothing about no smiting.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:04 PM   #35
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
1420!

These are so extrememly funny! If I even mention LotR, my family gives me an arched eyebrow and a 'you're obsessed' speech, but I think I'll try them anyhow! LoL!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 01:52 PM   #36
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Sting

should I post the other ones (about school) in here, or should I post them in Middle Earth Mayhem? They would probably fit in more over there, I just didn't realize that when I posted these...so where should I post them? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2002, 02:25 PM   #37
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

Doesn't matter to me. If you do post them over there, which topic will it be under?
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:06 PM   #38
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

Quote:
OMG I just did that!!! my mom was so freaked out. it was hilarious.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:24 PM   #39
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sadly, I don't have any LotR-crazed friends that can act out the movie with me on a street corner *sniff*. I'd be so lonely if it wasn't for the Downs...
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:33 PM   #40
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
Ooh. Gonna have to remember that one...there have been SOOO many spiders in the guest bathroom lately (which is the one I use.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<center>

</center>
Quote:
"Whether they've made the land, or the land's made them, it's hard to say, if you take my meaning." ~Sam
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote