The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
T-I-G LV Sing when you're winning

It was that difficult time after the Yuletide celebrations when even the most amicable families, rendered irritable by a surfeit of food and too little exercise during the short , bitterly cold days, could fall into arguing. The royal house of Dol Amroth was no exception. Imrahil, delighted though he was that the peaceful days since the Return of the King permitted his large and expanding extended family to spend the feast time together at his palace but even a palace could feel small when filled with grandchildren and great warriors who had not quite found a way as satisfactory as hewing orc necks to vent their spleen.

Of course the argument was trivial they always are and Imrahil to his regret had started it claiming that the finest singers came from his own land. He had stated it as a matter of common knowledge and had expected not contradiction - at least not from his nephew, Faramir. They normally were in accord but now he was making the claim of the people of his own princedom, saying that renewed contact with the Elves of the Greenwood had enriched their Musicmaking. Then his son in law spoke of the great tradition of his own people and the minstrels of the Rohirrim. Imrahil had looked to his wife for support but she had made a hasty exit claiming an urgent need to check that Alphros was not teasing his younger cousins too much.

Then his sister, inevitably, had had her say. Even venerable lords of noble house have at times to defer to their elder siblings.

"The elves I am sure would claim that even in these latter days that they have singers finer than any among us mortals" said Ivriniel. "But there is one way to decide this. We will hold a contest and invite lands to send us their finest singers that the greatest of them all may be found"

"I think that is a bit extreme", said Imrahil,"and sounds expensive" he thought, besides where would we hold it? - too cold in the amphitheatre at this time of the year - and who would judge - he remembered with horror the controversy that had surrounded the "Gondor's got talent" contest last summer. It had been held in the lovely amphitheatre carved in to the cliff face below the walls of Dol Amroth but when it emerged that the popular vote vould not always change the opinion of the professional judges there had been and outcry and indeed scuffles, not to say near riots. All in all he was glad that no lives had actually been lost and there had been only superficial damage to the stone work.

Ivriniel replied "We can use the old assembly rooms in Rath Lindain. They were used for music plays in the past"

"They were till people started saying the building was haunted - I doubt you will get much of an audience"

"Nonsense Imrahil, fancy you listening to old wives' tales," (Imrahil felt it wise not to point out that his siaster could be so categorised herself). "And my friend, Mithalwen will adjudicate for she is in past of the Teleri who are great musicians and she has lived long in Middle Earth and dwellt amongst
Elves and Men and will see that all is done fairly. But the matter of the contest shall be decided amongst the singers for the judgement of their fellows is superior to any other and they shall vote among them each day til one only remains. They will be deemed the greatest singer in Middle Earth."

"But won't the Music critics mind that they are overlooked?", asked the Prince, grateful at least that his sister's hare-brained scheme should avoid a repeat of the fiasco of the previous contest .

"They may mind, but who cares? A critic is someone who thinks he knows the way but can't drive the cart. We don't need them".

There was no point in arguing with Ivriniel when she was in such a mood - Imrahil had learnt that in the nursery and reasoned with himself that if she were occupied with this project she would have less time for interfering in other things.

So it was arranged and 18 singers were sent to represent their lands - from the cities and regions of Gondor they came and from further afield - from the vales of Anduin and the Riddermark, and elf there came from Eriador and a MPD sufferer from icy Forodwaith. From the south there came a woman of Harad, and someone from the Morgul vale who looked as if he might have been a Nazgul. Strangest of all came a Wose of Druadan Forest. And they were ready to sing and decide who was the greatest of them all in the newly renames Opera House at Dol Amroth.

Last came the elf Mithalwen who was to adjudiacte. Her face was graver than ever as she sought the Lady Ivriniel.

"I am afraid my lady that your plans have gone awry - I have learnt that the Critics have decided to sabotage the competition in revenge for being excluded. By enchantment they have stolen the voices and identities of three of our contestants another they have corrupted to be their spy and abettor."

"What shall we do! We cannot cancel! Imrahil you must intervene!"

"No, sister dear this is of your making. You said that the singers must decide for themselves and that holds - they are best able to judge who are the imposters in their ranks - they merely have to identify the ones who ..err..'cannot drive the cart'. We shall close off the backstage area to all non participants save the lady Mithalwen. The singers will be comfortably accomodated in their dressing rooms. And we may listen and observe their discussions and hear them sing. But as to finding the critics they are on their own."

"Not quite alone" said Mithalwen, "two there are I deem who know each other so truly that no imposter may deceive them and they may seek to revenge an attack on the other, to another night will bring the truth of a stranger's identity. A fourth is so strong in self belief that no critic may harm them....and "..something made the elf pause.... "and I know no more" She looked around the strange old building.

"Very well.. if the show must go on ..let us be on with the show."

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote