The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting I found Morgoth´s Ring! Now I want to know...

...Are there any other quite rare Tolkien books? (A few here said Morgoth´s Ring is.) I finally found it when I went to a science-fiction/fantasy book shop in Stockholm when I went there last weekend. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] A shame that I didn´t have much money though, every book in HOME except one was there..
Also, I want to know who else have Morgoth´s Ring/any other "rare" book, or just any book from HOME, how much it/they cost, how long you spent looking for them and so on... Just curious. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:57 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Morgoth's Ring" is HoME Volume 10 and is hardly rare, unless you mean that it is not available at every Books-a-Million or Barnes & Noble store in town.

I have all twelve volumes of HoME. You can get them all off eBay, Amazon.com, BAMM.com, or BN.com. As for the other titles and such, there's a book list on this very site. The link is towards the top of the right menu on the main page.

The first 5 volumes (BoLT through The Lost Road) are available in mass market paperback versions that are $6.99 (just like Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, or LOTR).

Volumes 6-9 (History of the Lord of the Rings) are available from HM in nice, bigger-than-average paperbacks (like the bigger paperback Hobbit-LOTR sets). I *think* they cost about $12.99 each.

All of the volumes are available from amazon.co.uk in the UK versions which are bigger, nice paperbacks. Amazon.co.uk also features all-inclusive books where HoME is compiled into three large books.

All of the volumes are also, of course, available in large paperback/hardback versions that look like this: (I believe this is the original issue look of them) Morgoth's Ring

I'm sure you can check out all most of these and possibly others at the Houghton Mifflin site's feature on Tolkien. The cheaper paperbacks I mentioned are published by Ballantine.
http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/...eringstrilogy/

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 08-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #3
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

One rare-ish book is the full version of Tree and Leaf. Mainly its componants can be found separetly or with other things, but very rarely altogrther.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It depends what you mean by "rare". Some volumes of HoME are (or were) out of print in hardback, at least in the U.S. If I recall, these included volumes 2, 3, 5, 6 and 9. The entire HoME series is available in softcover in the UK, making volumes 6-12 "rare" in the U.S. Some people, myself included, collect true first editions of HoME (a "true first" is first edition, first printing).

Any first edition hardback of the Hobbit or LoTR and earlier second editions of LoTR are, to some extent, rare. U.S. Ace Editions of LoTR (the pirated version) are collectible as are the early "psychedelic" cover Ballantine editions. Even the later Ballantine editions (with JRRT's own artwork) are hard to find in good condition.

A good one to look out for is the hardcover, slipcased edition of Pictures by Tolkien, which was in print for only a few years in the 1970s. Another is the hardcover version of The Road Goes Ever On.

Collecting Tolkien books is a very personal endeavor. You should do some research, figure out what you want to collect and go after it. I know one person who is trying to get all printings of the first US sofcover Hobbit. Most of these are not "rare" as in valuable. But he likes them. Truly rare Tolkien books such as first editions of the Hobbit (US) or the first 4 printings of the first edition in the UK tend to be very expensive unless you get extremely lucky. Remember, there is a big difference between rare and collectible. The latter is whatever you want to gather up.