User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Ravion looked at Mellonin, and she smiled up at him. But glancing suddenly beyond him, her face flickered into concern, and his words stopped on his lips.

"Aeron is so sad; so sad. Has-- Oh!" Distress crossed her face, and her hand flew to her liips, and tears started to flow. She whispered, "Oh, Ravion. It wasn't a dream, was it? Gwyllion-- oh, poor Aeron. Ravion, how heartless I've been."

Ravion sat back on his heels. If her humming had baffled him, her tears were worse. She was as steady as a whirlwind among rocks in autumn... He opened his mouth to speak.

But Mellondu stirred, and looked at her through narrow, sleepy eyes. "Heartless? Mellonin...?"

"But he -- he-- told me I was stupid to hope, and that you were dead, and he--"

"Mellonin, did you lose your temper?"

"He deserved it. He was cruel. He-- he said you were dead--"

"He was nearly right. Twice." Mellondu sat up, and looked his sister in the eye. "Did you lose your temper?"

"Stop acting like Father."

"He is not here to correct you and so someone must." Mellondu rubbed his bleary eyes, and then looked at her. "You said you were cruel. What did you say?"

She looked away, and he grew more stern.

"What did you say?"

"I just .. I told him that he... I-- "

Mellondu took her face in his hands, and went almost nose-to -nose with her. "What... did... you... say."

Ravion looked on, wondering again at the change in Mellonin; from tearful to withdrawn. He doubted that she would answer. And then just as suddenly, she took a sharp breath and words tumbled out of her. "I called him an insect. I said he was worthless without his sister. And then I called him-- selfish, filthy, brash, self-serving and-- and loathsome. "

She stared straight ahead.

Mellondu thought it over, and then replied, "You said he was worthless without his sister?"

She nodded. "Yes."

Mellondu nodded towards Gwyllion's body. "And now his sister is dead." His eyes returned to Mellonin. "What is the boy to think?"

She shrugged, irritated. "He never listened to me. He never listens to anyone."

"And yet something in your heart pities him."

"He's pathetic."

"Is that all?"

"No."

"What else?"

She began crying again. "He loves his sister."

Mellondu shook his head. "If you had known that his sister would die, would you have said such a thing-- that he was worthless without her? Would you have laid such a curse on him if you had known it would come to pass?"

"I didn't mean to curse him." She hid her face in her hands.

"But you did, and he is broken by it now. You spoke a terrible curse, and now how can he ever be freed from it?"

Ravion wondered why his forehead hurt, and then he realised his eyebrows were as high as they could be. He rubbed his forehead. "Mellondu, what do you mean by a curse? How did Mellonin curse Aeron?"

Mellondu, who by now held his weeping sister, looked up at Ravion. "My father always says that angry words are hidden curses. But he also says that my sister cannot hide them. Her temper has hunted her all her life. "

Ravion nodded. "But a curse? Surely mere angry words..."

"There is no such thing, " replied Mellondu, "as mere angry words. Look at his face."

"But, " said Ravion, "he is brash. And he is selfish. He's been filthy more than clean, and --"

"You need not defend my sister, " Mellondu replied coldly. "Rebuke should come from wisdom, not from hurt. The well-used colt has better ears than the ill-used colt. And I deem, both have better ears than one called Worthless."

Mellonin curled up against her brother, and quietly wept; for her treacherous temper, for poor dead Gwyllion, and for brooding Aeron. After a while, Ravion stood, and walked back to the hearth, and sat down. Mellonin wept til she was still, and then slept. Mellondu slept again as well.

Ravion wondered whether Mellonin knew that Raefindan was gone.

Last edited by mark12_30; 12-16-2004 at 08:30 PM.