The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
husborne
Pile O'Bones

husborne has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Beautiful old books

I thought the book cover looked so nice i thought I would share one with you.
If you like I could put the other 2 on as well.

This is for the "Fellowship"

Husborne
www.own-middle-earth-newzealand.com
Attached Images
File Type: gif new fellow.gif (50.3 KB, 772 views)
husborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That is indeed beautiful cover art, husborne! Do you own the book? Can you tell us who the artist is? Please do show us the other ones - it would be nice if other members also use this thread to show the cover art of their Tolkien books.

Since this is not a book discussion, I'm moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I'm very fond of the fantasy artist, John Jude Palencar.

Houghton Mifflin has recently released a new edition of The Lord of the Rings with his artwork on it HERE.

~*~ Pio
Old 08-05-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The thread about favourite editions which davem started almost a year ago might be of interest here.

My favourite edition, I have now found out, has covers by Pauline Baynes. It is the one on the right here and I now have a set which is unbattered and in a box, which I found on ebay for the princely sum of Ł3. It's the picture on the cover of Fellowship which particularly gets to me, I just have to look at it and I get excited about going on a journey through Middle-earth...

If anyone knows of a site which comprehensively covers/lists all the editions that have been put out, with photos, I'd love to see that!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I enjoy the Pauline Baynes artwork very much, but you have just shown me one which really gives me pause, Lal.

It is the cover of [i]Tales from the Perilous Realm[/b]. In style it is consistent with her other work and has a lovely whimsical quality which suits many of the poems in that book, but I just cannot get over the pink sail, if pink it is and not just my monitor's distortion.

I am more used to Sarah Gibb's cover illustrations for the book, as shown here. In fact, I based my avatar on the idea of her drawings.

Here is one site which provides pictures of a few book covers. Look here.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
I was always preferential to the mid 70's Ballentine paperbacks of TH and LOTR. Artwork provided by the man himself. Yall know the ones:
Bilbo on the barrells
Hobbiton across the Water
Fangorn Forest
Barad Dur
classics.... but I suppose its because they were my first
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't wish to sound stupid, but...are these the ones you're talking about, drigel?

These are my favorites, and, like drigel, because they were my first - the ones I 'inherited' from my dad.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I agree with Durelin above - those covers are fascinating and beautiful, if unrelated to the tale that lies within. They were my first introduction to "Tolkien's World", which explains why I was so unprepared.

I've always enjoyed looking at the way the black riders on the cover of TTT seem to form out of a swamp...hey, those three covers are almost transitive.

And omgbbq - is that a ... treefrog on the tree on the cover of "Fellowship"?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

If I understand correctly, Drigel is referring to artwork done by JRR Tolkien himself and used for some of the edition covers.

Sketches and complete drawings of some of the works Drigel refers to can be found here. One of my favourite drawings by Tolkien has always been 'Bilbo comes to the huts of the Raft-elves." It shows so much similarity to Art Nouveau style--I find it fascinating that Tolkien tinkered in such a 'modern' style.

There are several others sites on the web which host Tolkien's own artwork.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigel
I was always preferential to the mid 70's Ballentine paperbacks of TH and LOTR. Artwork provided by the man himself. Yall know the ones:
Bilbo on the barrells
Hobbiton across the Water
Fangorn Forest
Barad Dur
classics.... but I suppose its because they were my first
Yes, yes, drigel! They ARE the best. Did you get them in a boxed set? Did you have the red heraldry box? Or the gold box? I had the red one. Or later on, they were published in another box, with pastel borders around Tolkien's artwork. Really quite nice.

(I have all three. And, er, two sets of the tryptych with the emus and eggplants (pictured above...) ... and the other set with Frodo at the Fords and then Frodo and Sam at the Emyn Muil and then Gandalf and Pippin galloping to Minas Tirith on Shadowfax, that's really cool too. Great artwork. And and, um, well, let's just say I collect boxed paperback sets of the trilogy....
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love those mad Ballantine covers, they're almost like Hieronymous Bosch paintings!

I've also got a boxed set from the 80's with cover art by Roger Garland. This site shows some of his artwork. The 'Tolkien Landscape' is used as the cover art for the books I have, broken into three, and the 'Gollum' print is also on the outside of the box. The second picture on this webpage, 'Middle-earth' is the art on one of a set of four tapes I have of Tolkien reading aloud and other excerpts. I think these are his best three pictures.

And I've just found this Artists of Middle-earth site which sems to have a lot of things on it so I'm off for a look now...
Old 08-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #12
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
I never did get the boxed set - I wish I had. Im sure, like most every one else here, I fall under the "never, EVER throw any Tolkien book away" catagory

I have since lost FOTR - a note I should have thrown in on either the Escapism or Outrage threads here: Early 80's - I gave it to my younger brother who was going into ... ummm... rehab. They confiscated the book, saying that it was too Escapism oriented. Never got it back. I used to see those editions on ebay, but after the movies kicked in they have been pretty scarce.

I do get drawn into those early 70's late 60's covers that Durelin posted. More abstract - like the concept was so mind blowing, the artist could only come up with a "minds eye" perspective kind of deal. I have a friend with a 60's hardback edition which I always loved. Gonna be hard to talk him into letting me get my grubby hands on them to see if i could scan the covers hehe

But anyways - its funny how your first always seems more special
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
husborne
Pile O'Bones

husborne has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Old Beautiful books Part 2

Old Beautiful books Part 2

Estelyn Telcontar, I do not own the books unfortunatley!

I wish I did.

Attached are the other 2 Titles.

husborne
www.own-middle-earth-newzealand.com
Attached Images
File Type: gif newtowers.gif (47.4 KB, 676 views)
File Type: gif newreturn.gif (51.9 KB, 700 views)
husborne is offline   Reply With Quote