The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Caradhras has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Caradhras Send a message via AIM to Caradhras
Silmaril Do the books reuin the movies?

Hey ~
I wanna read the books, everyone says there great. But truely I like movies betta than books so.. I was wondering if I read the books are they going to spoil the movie? Okay well, Laters~!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Caradhras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

reuin? READ THE BOOK! IF YOU LIKE THE MOVIE< READ THE BOOK! READ IT! IT WILL NOT SPOIL THE MOVIE! READ THE BOOK!
Old 06-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #3
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hey ~
Okay I will I get the picture ! Laters~!

http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/serv...tz/grommit.gif http://216.40.201.38/otn/animals/bl_paw.gif
Old 07-01-2002, 12:09 AM   #4
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

There are a lot of little things in the movie which you are not going to understand unless you've read the book. PJ snuck them in for us die hard fans. In fact there are even some things in the first movie that you can't understand without also having read the Hobbit.

So reading the book is going to help you appreciate the movie more, not less.

The movie is really good, but the book is great!

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 07-01-2002, 12:17 AM   #5
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

Well to answer your question, yes, if you read the books then you will pretty much know what will happen in the next two films.

Movies are excellent... for visual entertainment. But the books are far better in just about every way conceivable, as they have more... well, "umph" in them then the movies ever could. Reading Boromir's death gave me more goose bumps then the PJ's version did, same with Gandalf's fall into the abyss. Tolkien was the man, PJ can only hope to scrape the surface, enough said.
Orofacion of the Vanyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:33 AM   #6
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I felt a bit like you when I read them. I like the movie, and so my mother bought the books for me. At the start, I found them rather dull, and only plan to read the rest of the first one because I felt guilty. The more I got into the book, the more I enjoyed them. by the end of the first book, I was captured.
So, try reading into them more [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:20 AM   #7
Tar-Haydon

Sting

Read the books, then read them again. Then read the Sil, then read that again a few times. Then get hopless addicted and desperate for any bit of tolkien you can find. Worked for me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 06:23 AM   #8
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Movies are definitely 'easier' than books, and certainly quicker, but they are nowhere near as complete. The books will not only not ruin the movie, they will enhance them 1000 times. Grab the book. Read it slowly and savor it. Then come back and tell us how it felt (you don't actually have to leave us altogether, of course, but read that book!(and many others)).
Old 07-01-2002, 06:59 AM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Movies ALWAYS leave something out, it's like a rule or something between directors. If you read the books, then you won't miss out on anything.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 07:31 AM   #10
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Newfeniel, movies leave something out, because, contrary to popular belief, a single picture may contain more information than a thousand words, but never a thousand chosen, artfully written words... If PJ had put all the information into the movies, we would have... maybe ten three-hour movies. Or more.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:33 AM   #11
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
we would have... maybe ten three-hour movies. Or more.
What's wrong with that? Hehe, j/k. It would be murder if there were 10 movies, esp. if PJ released them a year in between. Now, three ten-hour movies. . .
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:39 AM   #12
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol! Yes, definitely read the book! It's great, and will enhance it, not ruin it.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:07 AM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Do read the book, but beware of words over three syllables long. Those can be a doozy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Seriously, reading Tolkien is a great experience. The beginning of the LOTR is a bit slow, so I recommend reading the first few chapters in a setting where the book is your only available entertainment (as in, I started reading it for the first time in a huge line at the DMV). If you appreciate magic and wonder, you'll be hooked before you know it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 12:30 PM   #14
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
a single picture may contain more information than a thousand words, but never a thousand chosen, artfully written words...
I agree Niphredil! Words, while little more than lines of black squiggles on paper, are capable of incredibly powerful feats.

A picture may speak a thousand words, but a thousand words speak a thousand pictures. Everyone has their own experiences and personal ideas that words move to fit. Ex. "beautiful"
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
Hey ~
I wanna read the books, everyone says there great. But truely I like movies betta than books
Wait a second. . . how can you like the movies better than the books if you haven't even read the books? I'm confused. . . [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2002, 05:48 PM   #16
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

if anything, movies ruin books
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:52 PM   #17
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Hey~
Okay I think that I am going to start reading the books tonight! And of course I'm going to start with the first book and then move on from there. Well, I have to go do some stuff for tomorrows barbeque! Laters~!

Old 07-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #18
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Quote:
Movies are excellent... for visual entertainment. But the books are far better in just about every way conceivable, as they have more... well, "umph" in them then the movies ever could. Reading Boromir's death gave me more goose bumps then the PJ's version did, same with Gandalf's fall into the abyss. Tolkien was the man, PJ can only hope to scrape the surface, enough said.
Excellently put. PJ work is a mere shadow of the world of JRRT.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Ring

Ya know? I think that it's safe to say that the books are always better than the movie. And personally i thought that the movie spoiled the book in this case! I mean, the movie was great! But, if you think that the movie was good, READ THE BOOK!!!!!! Because it is a million times better! Plus, you'll get to meet Tom Bombadil. He's the goofiest guy! Did you know he was named after Tolkien's daughter's doll? Lol! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:39 PM   #20
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
I think that it's safe to say that the books are always better than the movie
Actually, that's not true. A Beautiful Mind was a really dry book (according to my mom) and the movie was apparently much better.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #21
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<font color=gold>On the contrary (to the title), the exact opposite happened to me.
The first time I saw the movie all I could think was "that was long" BUT I obviously found it interesting enough to read the books. I think I was thrown away by the fact that I didn't understand a lot of it. As I read the books I went back to see it again and again & each time I saw something new that PJ had thrown in there. I gained a greater appreciation for the movie because I saw all of the work that went into it.
I love LOTR more for the books now. I always tell people to read them now.

Quote:
if you read the books then you will pretty much know what will happen in the next two films.
<font color=gold>This doesn't bother me. Infact, I am anticipating the next two movies more now than I would've if I hadn't read the books. Now I can see how my visions compare to PJ's. I am sooo excited!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:16 PM   #22
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The movies are good, but they hardly do justice to the amazing literary work of Tolkien, to which this site is dedicated to. The movies are merely the latest big things to happen in the LotR world. The books definatly are much better.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:24 PM   #23
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Question

Hey ~
How did you change the color of your font I have been dieing to do that!!! This greenish color is driving me crazy!!!! Please if you don't mind, let me in on you little secret!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laters~!

Old 07-08-2002, 07:49 PM   #24
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Question

pleasE!!!!!!!!!! I wanna know how to change colors!!!!! I'll do anything!! Please!!! Laters~!

Old 07-09-2002, 03:28 AM   #25
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

Definitely read the book [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
I think that it's safe to say that the books are always better than the movie
This was also not true of Forrest Gump. The movie was good, but the book was crass, crude, and Forrest really wasn't a very nice guy.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:06 PM   #26
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Concerning the books and the movie, I did not care for the movie. I enjoy reading detail and creating my ideas of what everything would look like without the D and D inspired designs.

Two things that remain in my head that was the best done: the hobbits and the manuver of Legolas with the Orcs, the arrow in the eyes move, something Curly and Moe would be proud of. And the choice of scenery,beautiful
Old 07-11-2002, 10:05 PM   #27
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even if these guys have already convinced you I'm going to just add a bit more encouragement.

Everyday people go to the movies and see a great movie. "The best one they've ever seen." That is until they go see another movie and decide it's the best.

But if you were to read the book behind the movie it gives a whole new meaning to what happens on screen. It means MORE! You will know the REAL story and know the REAL charicters as they were ment to be. And if you were to not read the books you could miss or missinturpret the one of the best parts of the story. And if you find that you like these books you may branch off into other wonderful books. There's an entire world full of them. New ones every day.

And you have to stick to the books. Tolkien's writing stile can become teadious for some but if you endure the hard parts great things will come of it.

As for them ruining the movie they will instead promote your exightment in the movie. No matter how many times you could have read about Gandalf falling into the abys you will still grieve for him. Suprises still come.

So what r u reading this post for??!! You should be buried in a book! Get to it!!LOL!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:30 PM   #28
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I think that reading the books is a much better experience than watching the movies. But they are two different kinds of entertainment all together, so you can't compare them.

I think the best things about the books is that you will never know everything. You can read Tolkiens stuff for years and years and still learn new stuff all the time and talk about things in the books. I know, without a doubt, that I will still be posting here in 5 or 10 or 15 years. As long as there is good company and good intellectual discussions going on this will be a great site forever. You couldn't say that if we could only talk about the movies.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:42 AM   #29
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Tolkien

you should read the books there are a lot of things that PJ left out. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #30
Caradhras
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Hey~
Why do movies have to leave things out I mean sure somethings but why can't they put like everything in??????? Laters~!

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

Old 07-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #31
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Because then every single book-inspired movie would be six or seven hours long. Would you want to spend six or seven hours at one time in a movie theater? I didn't think so.