The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf/Eagle -> Ring -> Mt. Doom?

Here's a question I've heard posed many times before, but never heard adequately answered. Why didn't Gandalf simply fly the Ring to Mt. Doom and drop the Ring in?

I do understand that there's a good argument that the Ring needed to be undone in the Crack of Doom where it was forged---still, flying there by eagle seems a lot more convenient than sending a Hobbit on a perilous quest by foot.

This leads me to another question: What is the nature of the Eagles and their relationship to man, elf and other Free Peoples? is this a quest they would have willingly accepted?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to the Barrow-downs, Sardy.

This topic has (as you've guessed) been discussed in several threads, probably the most important of which is The Great Eagle Mystery. I suggest that you have a look there - and feel free, of course, to revive the thread if you have further thoughts or comments.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
deal_with_it
Animated Skeleton

deal_with_it has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy
Here's a question I've heard posed many times before, but never heard adequately answered. Why didn't Gandalf simply fly the Ring to Mt. Doom and drop the Ring in?

I do understand that there's a good argument that the Ring needed to be undone in the Crack of Doom where it was forged---still, flying there by eagle seems a lot more convenient than sending a Hobbit on a perilous quest by foot.

This leads me to another question: What is the nature of the Eagles and their relationship to man, elf and other Free Peoples? is this a quest they would have willingly accepted?
The eagles would get tired flying that far
the nazgul would get them
would be no storyline
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm gonna close this one up -- please revive the thread linked by Aiwendil if you have new thoughts or questions on the subject.
Closed Thread