The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Billbeaux

Outsourcing canon

I'm sure the following has been addressed (and driven such a cleft between Tolkien fans the likes to which only the issue of Balrog wings can compare):

Though Christopher Tolkien has forbidden it, is it possible that an uber-talented writer with a Ph.D.-level knowledge of Tolkien's legendarium/languages could contribute new tales to the Middle-Earth canon? The stories wouldn't even have to be new per se...perhaps this imagined writer could take some of the stories from the Silmarillion and flesh them out into fully-realized, three dimensional tales. From the creation of Arda to the dawn of the Fourth Age, Tolkien laid down about *16,000 years of history, and while we already know how all of the major conflicts are resolved, there is a virtually bottomless wealth of unmined material that the right scribe could do wonders with.

Is this something that fans would accept? Would any writer worth his/her salt be willing to undertake such an endeavor, knowing that they would be scrutinized by fans the world over for the rest of their life (just look at how many Dune fans Frank Herbert's son has alienated)?

*Based on a timeline from The Encyclopedia of Arda (www.glyphweb.com/arda)
Old 04-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
You'll never get fandom to accept new "official" stories. We've largely followed Christopher Tolkien's lead in this, and I'd that, by and large, our love of the Legendarium is inextricably tied to our "reverence" for the Professor himself. If it didn't come from his pen, it cannot, or will not, ever be accepted as Canon.

So, an Official expansion of the Canon is foredoomed to failure, I think.

However, Unofficial expansions of the Canon are already in full swing, and are only likely to grow. Fanfiction is widespread to the point of pandemic (much of it is utter trash and should be burned, but there are some well-written and awesome fanfics out there). There are also RPGs, such as the ones in the Shire, Rohan, and Gondor forums here on the 'Downs.

I can also see a certain burgeoning of "personalized" Legendariums. I think it is the deep ambition of many serious fans to have their own, codified, idiosyncratic, Silmarillion. I know I do. I would not, however, ever present my Silmarillion as THE Silmarillion. Insofar as ANY Silmarillion is THE Silmarillion, it is Christopher Tolkien's Silmarillion- which he himself has admitted with regret is not perfect. The way I see it, if Christopher Tolkien can have a Silmarillion, so can I. But my Silmarillion will be mine, privately. I don't think that the official, core, canon will ever grow beyond what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and what Christopher Tolkien has extrapolated from that.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It can never go beyond a personal level. I've reached the point where I truly believe that Elrond has forged uneasy alliances with the Wargs, and whatnot.

The legendarium itself can only be what Johnny T. himself wrote. Of course we can all incorporate the fruits of our own imaginations into that legendarium — they can coexist, so to speak — but they will never properly be a part of it.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
However, Unofficial expansions of the Canon are already in full swing, and are only likely to grow. Fanfiction is widespread to the point of pandemic (much of it is utter trash and should be burned, but there are some well-written and awesome fanfics out there).~Formendacil
And that's the thing, I would hate to see LOTR turned into another Star Wars with these "fanfics" of mumbo that has no continuity, no basing whatsoever, just a spin off the original to try to take in money.

Quote:
I can also see a certain burgeoning of "personalized" Legendariums. I think it is the deep ambition of many serious fans to have their own, codified, idiosyncratic, Silmarillion. I know I do. I would not, however, ever present my Silmarillion as THE Silmarillion. Insofar as ANY Silmarillion is THE Silmarillion, it is Christopher Tolkien's Silmarillion- which he himself has admitted with regret is not perfect. The way I see it, if Christopher Tolkien can have a Silmarillion, so can I. But my Silmarillion will be mine, privately. I don't think that the official, core, canon will ever grow beyond what J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and what Christopher Tolkien has extrapolated from that.
And what's interesting is, first speaking about Christopher finishing up his father's story, and tying up some loose strings, I don't mind it. Christopher is an avid fan of the books and knew his father's intentions well, though admittingly not perfectly and if it's in contradiction to "The Master" than the ladder should be the one accepted. But, I just have trouble with people thinking Chris' stuff should not be accepted. He above anyone else would probably have the best insight to his father's story.

What's interesting Formendacil, is you bring you "your Silmarillion." It's interesting, because (and this is probably why I love Tolkien) is Tolkien allows his readers to experiment freedom of reading. Which is why he did not like using "allegories" and denied using them. Allegories sets strict meaning on the text, and Tolkien did not want that, he wanted his readers to interpret and come up with their own reasonings and form their own ideas:
Quote:
Of course the L.R. does not belong to me. It has been brought forth and must now go its appointed way in the world, though naturally I take a deep interest in its fortunes , as a person would of a child.~Letter # 328
Quote:
I much refer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers~Foreward to LOTR
And as Christian Skull points out:
Quote:
Practically speaking of course, none of the Matter of Middle-earth was ';finished'; but continued to evolve, and was open to second thoughts while Tolkien lived.~The Development of Tolkien's Legendarium- in Tolkien's Legendarium edt, Flieger and Hostetter
And to Billbeaux, this is probably why most of all I would not want even someone well versed in Tolkien's story to write some more. Though it would be interesting, Tolkien left freedom for his readers to interpret and sort of let his story grow over the years, which is probably why I enjoy LOTR so much.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Eomer - thanks to "Red flows the Sirannon" I am now burdened with the notion that it is a little known "fact" that Elrond had a sensitive stomach.

I think Christopher Tolkien has done a fantastic job editing. In a way i think it is a pity that it wasn't realised that there would be an insatiable desire for every last hint on Middle Earth and CT admits there are things he might have done differently in the Sil. I am glad that we got the source documents "warts and all" and can make up our own minds. Personally I also enjoy a lot of CT's insights and admire the fact he refuses to speculate. I only regret that there must be a lot of things that maybe he was told but because he hasn't written source he probably will never pass on. However because we have so much of Tolkiens writing in the public domain in HoME I would never accept anything written by others as part of the canon. I enjoy and participate in RPG which play by the "rules" of Middle Earth and don't think they are disrespectful - but I don't see them as part of the canon and would not take any PhD student as having more validity.
Lets face it all of us will HoME are as as wll informed as all but those who have access ot the unpublished material and so I think we probably do quite nicely for ourselves - and we have some fairly serious scholars here. I would hate it say if there was an authorised "expansion" say on the house of Dol Amroth.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye fanfic, not canon

Thought this old thread may interest you ..........

Any good fanfiction?

Last edited by Rumil; 05-09-2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: First of all I wrote 'god fanfiction' scary huh!
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Well, it depends on the writer. If this person was Christopher Tolkien, I would definitely read on, because Tolkien himself passed his works down to him. But if it was anyone else, even someone like C.S. Lewis (dead), I wouldnt read it, because you have to be completely involved in and be a total complete nerd head about his works.
So no, I do not think that it would be possible to the real thing.
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote