The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Move aside Balrogs-wings for...Gandalf's boots

So, after remembering many debates about the existance or non-existance of Balrog-wings, Darth Wader, discussion about awesome hiking boots, and coming across this quote:

Quote:
...and have purchased yourself a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now."~Voice of Saruman
Literal boots or figurative boots for Gandalf? And obviously, what would Gandalf's (either literal or figurative) boots look like?

Debate.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-17-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Clearly, Gandalf is possessed of shadows like thick calves, which provide the illusive basis for the need of bigger boots--not unlike the illusive wings providing the basis for an apparent ability to fly.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Well, if he went shopping with Glirdan, then clearly he left the store with size extra-large.

You know what they say about big gloves and big boots...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Well, if he went shopping with Glirdan, then clearly he left the store with size extra-large.

Makes for a very happy hobittess.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:

*rolls eyes* I'm pretty sure on Feanor of the Peredhil was the real bad influence--Glirdan was much too nervous to be so affirmative, as I recall.

However, to get back to the Boots, it's clearly a figurative gesture--like female pharaohs wearing fake beards, it's all a symbol of power. Gandalf wouldn't actually wear the massive boots.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
However, to get back to the Boots, it's clearly a figurative gesture--like female pharaohs wearing fake beards, it's all a symbol of power. Gandalf wouldn't actually wear the massive boots.
Of course he wouldn't - or at least not for very long. Boots never stay in fashion for more than a week. The real question is, where did he purchase them?

The Gap of Rohan?

ElfRUs?

OrcMart?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Well, here's a mystery solved and no mistake. Gandalf needed the extra space for the extra power he was permitted to keep on his person, as Gandalf the White. As we all know, the wizard's staff is just a walking stick and doesn't hold any magic power. What better explanation, then, than the power being housed in the new and spacious boots?

Excellent find, Boro!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Maybe this here is the key. Gandalf, being an elderly chap, perhaps felt a growing need to accentuate his manliness by getting himself the right attributes? While some gents buy themselves a Porsche, Gandalf has chosen the oversized boots so he can make his point without uncloaking too often, a gesture which rarely is appropriate in such a conservative society.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

And Bilbo suspected the Sackville-Bagginses of swiping things from Bag End, underneath their coats probably: how naive! Next time, check the old man's shoes before he leaves, Baggins!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
There were no boots...he wore slippers and merely gave the impression of wearing boots by magic.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
The better to wade through all Saruman's .....

And if Gandalf had to go off and figuratively fill a bigger pair of boots, it was because Saruman literally had become the carbuncle on Gandalf's big toe.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 09-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Now we have established the ambiguity of these psuedo-boots, were they wedge soled or have the traditional instep.......... I go for the wedge....because Tolkien mentions a wedge somewhere else in the book.

P.S I also wonder.....when Gandalf the White was sent back........... did his boots have wings to enable him to get back from Valinor.

P.P.S Only a thought!

Last edited by narfforc; 09-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
....because Tolkien mentions a wedge somewhere else in the book.

Or was it an hedge?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #14
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I think we can safely rule out hedge soles, as they would have made walking rather thorny.

As for the wings, the fact that he still relied on Gwaihir for aerial transportation seems to indicate the contrary; also note that when the time for him to return had come, he went home by ship, not by air. So if there were any wings at all on his boots, they would have been purely decorative.

Or maybe his boots were so highly polished that the highlights from the shoeshine created an illusion of white wings?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

It makes the rendering, in the films, of Sauron as a giant flaming eyeball, next to Saruman's non-rendering of a large white hand, even more perplexing -- for I had always pictured Gandalf as an imposing pair of boots.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As Huan was allowed to talk three times, Gandalf's boots were allowed to turn into eagles six times..... but something went wrong once and one turned into a Landrover.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dűm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe I hope I haven't put my foot in it... :groan:

I rather feel that it is not so much the actual size of the boots but the perceived size that is the key here- as can clearly be seen from Saruman's use of the word 'purchased'.

As a mighty Istari Gandalf had many strange powers, not least of which was the ability to grow his feet. In fact, some claim this is how he first befriended Bilbo- by putting him at ease by brandishing his disproportionately large, hairy feet in Baggins's face. Of course, the Good Professor said as much in that famous letter which I shan't insult you all by mentioning here- it's assumed knowledge.

Therefore, taking the argument to its next logical step, there is no reason that Gandalf could not have purchased and utilised a large pair of boots any time he'd fancied. He did not do this previously (he didn't, of course, have shoes on when brandishing his feet at Bilbo (mentioned above)- otherwise Bilbo could have quite easily levelled the claim of empty shoes at him) and therefore the fact that Saruman, who- despite his many shortcomings- was one of the wise, mentions the boots here indicates that they must be purely metaphorical. And if they are then it is, surely, the perceived size which matters.

So simple, really.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee View Post
I rather feel that it is not so much the actual size of the boots but the perceived size that is the key here- as can clearly be seen from Saruman's use of the word 'purchased'.

As a mighty Istari Gandalf had many strange powers, not least of which was the ability to grow his feet. In fact, some claim this is how he first befriended Bilbo- by putting him at ease by brandishing his disproportionately large, hairy feet in Baggins's face. Of course, the Good Professor said as much in that famous letter which I shan't insult you all by mentioning here- it's assumed knowledge.

Therefore, taking the argument to its next logical step, there is no reason that Gandalf could not have purchased and utilised a large pair of boots any time he'd fancied. He did not do this previously (he didn't, of course, have shoes on when brandishing his feet at Bilbo (mentioned above)- otherwise Bilbo could have quite easily levelled the claim of empty shoes at him) and therefore the fact that Saruman, who- despite his many shortcomings- was one of the wise, mentions the boots here indicates that they must be purely metaphorical. And if they are then it is, surely, the perceived size which matters.

So simple, really.

Yeh...well I was going to say that...but you beat me to it..
Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Saruman was merely referring to boots several times larger than Gandalf had presently because of Gandalf's unfulfilled wish to become a clown and join the circus.

Doesn't everyone want to run away to the circus at one point in their lives?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
P.S I also wonder.....when Gandalf the White was sent back........... did his boots have wings to enable him to get back from Valinor.
No, but he stole a pair of unexistent wings from the Balrog just before he threw the poor guy off the mountain cliff.

As for the boots... why do you think Gandalf was always so nice to Aragorn?