The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #3001
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Before I forget it, I quite like Lottie's new avvie - a real snowflower, if I'm not mistaken. Fits your name nicely, and suits you much better than that melancholy girlie you had before!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #3002
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Before I forget it, I quite like Lottie's new avvie - a real snowflower, if I'm not mistaken. Fits your name nicely, and suits you much better than that melancholy girlie you had before!
Aww, thanks! It's actually a snowflake, but close enough. Real snowflowers are hard to find good pictures of.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #3003
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Erendis' avvie

I was just stunned by Erendis' avatar. Really, really gorgeous. It makes me want to draw one of my own.....

Erendis, did that start out as a larger drawing? Can you post it? I'd love to see it.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #3004
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Well,since it is not my work,I don't think I have the right to post it,but if you like it that much,I can e-mail it to you!

By the ,way,I always liked the painting you use!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #3005
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Oh my, oh my! The Princess of Skwerlz has a new avatar and it isn't Princess Fiona any more!

It is a lovely one, though, and still much in keeping with her nick here. Nice choice, Estelyn.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #3006
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420!

I have also greatly admired Estelyn's new avatar. Nice choice! Does Rivendell have Skwerlz? Or do they live in Gondor nowadays? Hmm, perhaps at the Inn?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #3007
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Also, nice ladybug from Pitchwife, it fits the coming of spring very well.
Plus, I like ladybugs ever since there was a ladybug-themed merry-go-round on the playground I went to as a kid.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #3008
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Bb and mark! I chose that Arwen avatar for Tolkien Reading Day, but I think it will stay awhile. It reminds me of the classic painting "A Young Girl Reading", which I have liked very much for many years:
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #3009
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Also, nice ladybug from Pitchwife, it fits the coming of spring very well.
Plus, I like ladybugs ever since there was a ladybug-themed merry-go-round on the playground I went to as a kid.
Unfortunately, there is a rather dark history to that avvie...

Whatever... It's fun.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #3010
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I bought a print of that Fragonard when I was on a school exchange to France when I was 14.... I still have it up but I am about to redecorate so it may have to move but I will most likely sacrifice the purity of interior design to keep my old friends where I will see them... being far too sentimental to have perfect taste....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #3011
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm a fan of Lottie's new avatar. Blends in very well with the site and is most elegant.

<--- It's a bird!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #3012
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Aww, thanks, Lauri! I've been wanting a bird for some time, but I'd had trouble finding one on a black background.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #3013
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Unfortunately, there is a rather dark history to that avvie...

Whatever... It's fun.

Did you even finish that game?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #3014
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Did you even finish that game?
If you're asking if Legate himself survived until the end, no - he was Seer dreamed. If you're asking if the game itself ended, yes - the Ladybug pack won.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #3015
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
If you're asking if Legate himself survived until the end, no - he was Seer dreamed.
...after having been wolf-on-wolfed on and voted by his own packmate, the poor soul. Not that I would have wished him any ill... *whistles innocently*

And as for the avvie, Lottie, I obviously have to second Lauri in praise of your aesthetic taste. Go classic black-and-white!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #3016
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shock! Outrage! Intrigue!

Hookbill has jumped on the Lottie bandwagon and changed his as well! Who would have thought?

Ahem. It is a fine avatar Hooky! I approve of its high level of insanity and outlandishness.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 05-30-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Home across the road
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #3017
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Shock! Outrage! Intrigue!

Hookbill has jumped on the Lottie bandwagon and changed his as well! Who would have thought?

Ahem. It is a fine avatar Hooky! I approve of its high level of insanity and outlandishness.
Not sure if I'll stick to this one, but I'm keeping it for now.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #3018
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dark-Eye

My first thought was "Are you going to put that on a tshirt?" Really, that's what it looks made for
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #3019
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Hookbill has jumped on the Lottie bandwagon
Clearly a wolf! Lynch him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian
My first thought was "Are you going to put that on a tshirt?" Really, that's what it looks made for
Would look even more awesome on the back of a leather jacket. Not too bad on the side of a police car, either. Don't know about buses, though.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #3020
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have to third (?) the nomination of Lottie's new avatar. It's pretty!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #3021
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Pitchwife's new avvie is certainly noteworthy. Is that supposed to be Morgul emblem, Pitch? I always imagined it differently, but if somebody showed me this one, it is something I would immediately think of.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #3022
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Pitchwife's new avvie is certainly noteworthy. Is that supposed to be Morgul emblem, Pitch? I always imagined it differently, but if somebody showed me this one, it is something I would immediately think of.
It's still black and white though, so not much of a change. Which is nice.

Oh, I haven't commented on Hookbill's new avvie yet. I did a headdesk when I saw it.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #3023
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Thanks! It could be, now you mention it... but in fact it's the logo of one of my favourite bands, Dead Moon, to go with my current sig, which is from a song of theirs (click the link to hear it). So not really Tolkien-related, I'm afraid, at least not intentionally.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #3024
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

TheGreatElvenWarrior had better watch out! With an avatar like that the phantom will not be her biggest fan!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #3025
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
TheGreatElvenWarrior had better watch out! With an avatar like that the phantom will not be her biggest fan!
I'm really a fan of the bins outside of tp's house. Alien is the best way to show that.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #3026
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Esty's got a nice new avvie - isn't that Mrs Methusalix (can't remember her real name, if it's ever mentioned)?
And TGEW's Alien avvie rocks!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #3027
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Pitch! In English she's called Mrs. Geriatrix, the German name is as you have it, for names in other languages check out the Asterix International page. It's nice to have a change of persona, since I've had Fiona avatars for years. And no, her personal first name is never mentioned in the comics.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #3028
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It's nice to see Lommy has her old avvie back.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #3029
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Pitchwife's Dead Moon logo works wonderfully, being of a stark contrast to most avatars, them being colourful and detailed.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #3030
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thanks, Volo! (I'm curious - did you read my explanation to Legate a couple of posts above, or did you recognize it on your own?)

While I'm posting here, Agan's recent change of avvie was quite startling after she'd been a lion ever since I joined the Downs, but the new one is cute! So is it time yet to go wandering and play your harmonica while your friends prepare for hibernation?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #3031
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Pitchwife, I noticed your avatar as soon as I returned from the realm of the Twice-as-dead-as-a-barrow-wight-but-not-as-dead-as-a-really-dead-rabbit and decided to comment on it right away, so I'm currently awfully ignorant on what has been said for the past two years. So, short story short, yup, I mildly know Dead Moon, having a copy of A Crack in the System. The way I came to know the band was actually quite amusing. I wanted to hear something I wouldn't otherwise hear and asked for the music store worker to choose me a disk that I would buy without looking at it. So the guy negotiated with the other workers there and they decided that I should come to know the best band in the world, that is, in their words, Dead Moon.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #3032
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thanks Pitch! I've had lots of avatars and even though only a few of them have been lions, it's the lions I return to time and again. But autumn always makes me feel like reading either Tolkien or Tove Jansson, and this year it's Jansson.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #3033
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

So who has kept the same avatar the longest? I've had Snoopy for many years now, and I know that Cailin never changed hers.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #3034
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
That'd be me

At least I would certainly be one of the runners up if we were to hold a contest in that category

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #3035
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've deviated occasionally (and used variations on the theme), but I always come back to Fiona. However, I've not been a member as long as HI has!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #3036
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
When did the forum start to allow avatars? I don't think the original ezboard forum had them, but I could be wrong . . . .

Like Esty, I've changed my avatar occasionally--we used to put up Christmas and Hallowe'en avies--but this current one is the first one I had.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #3037
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I've changed mine once or twice for werewolf games, but otherwise I've had the same picture since I joined back in whatever it was.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #3038
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think I've had three total...my first was a Falcon of sorts, and the next two (or maybe next three, I can't recall) have been Joan of Arc...but I don't remember for certainty. I definitely haven't had the same one as long as Eomer or HI.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #3039
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
So who has kept the same avatar the longest? I've had Snoopy for many years now, and I know that Cailin never changed hers.
Anguirel

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #3040
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I am certainly not even a proper contester for this, but I have been mostly on the conservative side in general: I would say that I have had a few changes from time to time, but still keeping with the theme, at least a bit. For the last couple of years, I've had a special avatar for Christmas, and that's it.

I've been mostly "forced" to do it by the fact that I think it's really far easier to recognise a person's posts if his/her avvie remains the same. Or: it can be really confusing if the new avvie is something completely different (thematically, color-wise, etc. - sometimes you can have a completely different avvie and still you are recognisable, because some motive there just "fits" the previous pattern - like with Foley or Lommy, but sometimes it can be a mess - I don't remember exactly, but I know at some point I had a serious problem with some member whom I knew very well, but still he/she had suddenly some totally different avvie - I think it was something totally red instead of some sort of white-black mesh, a couple of years ago, and it totally confused me. Don't any of you happen to remember if it wasn't you? ).

Generally, for having something different, I've had several of the "eyes and something" or "green hill-blue sky" variants, but haven't used any of them for a long time. Hmm...