The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Lord of the Lego!

There's been an announcement that Lego will be creating playsets based on the LOTR and Hobbit movies.

There have already been toys licensed, so this really shouldn't bother me. This particular statement caused a eyeroll, though:

Quote:
"These films give life to amazing worlds and characters and we are thrilled to bring fans these products that deliver an imaginative play experience befitting of these beloved properties."
So it was the films that "gave life" to the story, eh? Negative.

It does sadden me to see LOTR and TH merely tossed into the same bin as Harry Potter, the Batman franchise, Speed Racer, and Toy Story: just an excuse to produce lucrative merchandise.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Indeed.

On the other hand, though, if ever in my life I happen to have a set of LOTR lego figures, I'll use them to fil the true LOTR!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm totally buying the Tom Bombadil / Great Barrow megaset.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
On the other hand, though, if ever in my life I happen to have a set of LOTR lego figures, I'll use them to fil the true LOTR!
Me and my friend have once made a LotR "musical" - and we planned to make it a full movie with Lego (way to save money on actors). I think we have managed to film one scene/song (the Ride of the Rohirrim), I don't think if even Lego LotR will change this.

I think, personally, that kids nowadays are getting spoiled with all these Harry Potters, Star Wars and LotRs being "pre-made" in Lego. At about the age of 10, I had been making my own Isengard, Minas Morgul, battle of Minas Tirith, Uruk-Hai and Saruman and Orcs of Morgul and Nazgul out of the Lego available by that time, and it worked perfectly and it encouraged my creativity. I had to create Orc-heads by putting papers with pictures of their faces under the character's helmets (and darn good ones they were), now people will just get their own pre-made movie-based Orcs.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I had to create Orc-heads by putting papers with pictures of their faces under the character's helmets (and darn good ones they were), now people will just get their own pre-made movie-based Orcs.
Hehe. My favourite way of creating people/characters was actually making them out of the pieces. They turned out too big and all different size and didn't look like people at all.