The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Haven’t bought the book (yet), but I read the appendix on the “Composition of the Text” and glanced through the narrative today in Barnes & Noble. Some thoughts/reactions (note, SPOILERS follow for those who have read neither the Silmarillion nor UT):

- As expected, the text is mostly the same as the ‘Narn’ found in UT. Moreover, it appears that CT restricted himself to ‘Narn-tradition’ texts (i.e. texts dating from and associated with Tolkien’s 1950s work on the Turin saga) in compiling the narrative. There is nothing (as far as I could tell) interpolated from independent versions of the story nor from independent essays or notes. This is quite consistent with, and good in light of, CT’s apparent goal of making CoH primarily a coherent piece of literature.

- One detail of the plot has been changed, correcting what CT believes to have been an error in his previous interpretation of the texts: the gift of Anglachel to Beleg takes place when Beleg first sets out to seek Turin, and thus before Beleg’s time with the outlaws, rather than after the battle at Amon Rudh. This is a more significant point than it may at first seem, since it implies that Anglachel was Beleg’s sword during the whole period of Dor-Cuarthol and its two captains.

- CT has been rather conservative in implementing changes to the text that were merely ‘projected’ by his father. For example, he does not extend the history of the Dragon-helm beyond the battle at Amon Rudh, nor (if my brief glance is to be trusted) does he take up the projected events relating to Beleg’s healing of Androg and Mim’s dismay thereat. (Actually, now that I think about it I’m not so sure I had a good look at this section; I may be wrong). He also retains Orodreth’s position in the genealogies as the son of Finarfin and plays it safe, as it were, by omitting Gil-Galad entirely.

- There are, however, a few short passages here and there that do not appear in UT nor in the ’77 Silmarillion, nor HoMe, yet which are apparently from the body of ‘Narn’ texts. One of these, occuring in the first chapter, tells in very general terms that Hurin and Huor from time to time accompanied the men of Brethil in raids against the Orcs. This is notable in that it passes entirely over the Dagor Bragollach, which in other texts provides the motive for their being involved in fighting against the Orcs. But this is probably just an omission (no doubt on JRRT’s part rather than CT’s) for the sake of keeping the narrative’s focus from wandering.

- Another passage not found elsewhere (as far as I can remember) is that found at the meeting of Beleg and Gwindor, telling of Gwindor’s escape from Angband. A very similar passage is to be found in the ’77 but with the omission of certain details, most notably Gwindor’s loss of a hand. I am curious as to why this has not appeared before (CT offers no explanation). In any case, it is a very nice touch, giving a concrete physical manifestation to the change and dimunition of Gwindor following his captivity.

- He mentions that the name ‘Saeros’ was replaced by ‘Orgol’ (nearly a reversion to the old ‘Orgof’). Well I never!

Last edited by Aiwendil; 04-20-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote