The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2002, 08:29 AM   #1
edmund von tacchim

The Eye Question on Palantiri

Ignoring the recent film, I wondered if anyone could tell me where they have read of a palantir transmitting actual sounds.

From my recollections of the book(s), everything was shown & seen and while there was implication and understanding, there were no sounds heard as such.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:33 AM   #2
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
White-Hand

A palantír transmitting sounds should be read of nowhere, cause palantíri do not transmit sounds (according to Tolkiens writings).

But a thing like the palantír is present in other books and stories, and maybe there they do transmit sounds. Perhaps some people mixed up.

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #3
edmund von tacchim

Sting

Glad that you said that because when I saw that on a quiz on this site, I felt I must be wrong. I haven't found anyone who has read the appendices and other books who can recall a palantir transmitting audio, either. I guess that means the trivia quiz is incorrect.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:38 PM   #4
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

First of all, this probably belongs in another room, but I can see wy you might think you'd put it in the quiz room considering your question was brought up by a quiz. Anyways, read the chapter in the Unfinished Tales on the Palantiri, it'll give you evrything you could ever want to know on them.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:01 AM   #5
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you read the LotR it seems to point out that the Palantiri do not transmit sound. And (it has been a while since I last read UT) I believe the story in UT states the same thing.

Quote:
The he came. He did not speak so that I could hear words. He just looked, and I understood.
This is a quote from The Palantir - LotR. It doesn't transmit sounds, but someone may transmit his thoughts with it, and so speak with other persons.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote