The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #2401
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yrch?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #2402
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And is (one of) the password(s) YULE?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #2403
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Yrch is correct. Yule is not *quite* correct.

YRCH: ‘Oo, those awful ...!’ Quite translated.
2. Ancient people of divine spirit?
LALA: Two notes assemble to laugh.
4. Finesse changes note for a resplendent thing.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-07-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #2404
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The only other word I can think of for a vertical is Yale - unless it's a diagonal. Ainu(r) for #2?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #2405
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is 4 elen? ELAN swapping the a for an e...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #2406
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Indeed - Yale, the area of the Shire which Mithalwen once used as the answer for a clue.

'Elen,' meaning star, is also correct, for the reason that Mith gave.

'Ainu' - yes, I googled it and it is the name of an ancient people.

AINU: Ancient people of divine spirit?
ELEN: Finesse changes note for a resplendent thing.

So, over to Galadriel ... but can you tell me the other password first?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #2407
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

HUAN, the cute little talking puppy.

I looked up Ainu now, and they are a people from the Japan / Sakhalin area. That's really cool, I didn't know that before.

Will have a password up the next couple days.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #2408
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Indeed!

And I didn't know about the ancient Ainu people either, until I googled the word.

AINU: Ancient people of divine spirit?
ELEN: Finesse changes note for a resplendent thing.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #2409
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I knew about Ainu from when I learnt Japanese but never thought of them.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #2410
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Voila! Some of these might be a bit too tricky, so hints will be provided.

1. Confused, fool tells lie to small company. Twice noted helping hand.
2. Note the direction upheave male name for messenger.
3. Princes direct queue back.
4. Allow rodent to reverse. Broken by negative argument from king.
5. Short girl with unusual name sends storm north in the future.
6. Hero charged particle after broken record announced food.

Happy riddling!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #2411
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could the first one be FOLCO? Fool slightly muddled, plus C, small part of company (although I though at first it would be CO, standard abbreviation of company).

Folco lent a helping hand to Frodo when he 'moved' from Bag End (packing etc), and possibly he was only mentioned twice, although I think he was a conspirator as well (at least to some degree). Tells lies - didn't all the conpirators lie or at least deceive, to protect Frodo's secret?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-10-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #2412
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Right person, and almost right name. The full answer accounts for all parts of the clue - your explanation puts too many as straight clues.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #2413
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

FOLCO BOFFIN.

I only know a Boffin as a sort of computer genius, though ... or an expert in a particular field.

Yes, curious fellow, Folco. Goes home after lunch and we don't hear of him again. Perhaps he wasn't in the 'full' conspiracy at all.

There is FIB for 'tell lies' (which I did try to work into the answer from the beginning), and I suppose the O in Boffin could give us CO instead of C, but that still leaves a spare FN that I can't account for.

3. ERNIL? Line backwards with the direction R in it?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-10-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #2414
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

FOLCO BOFFIN Confused, fool tells lie to small company. Twice noted helping hand.
ERNIL Princes direct queue back.
5. Short girl with unusual name sends storm north in the future.

I broke down Folco Boffin into anagrams - fool=loon, lie=fib, small company=co, twice noted=FF.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #2415
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have been trying to make 4 a king of Numenor because their names are usually prefixed Tar- which is rat backwards. I wondered about Telemmaite because it starts with let (allow) backwards but I can't make the rest work.. back to drawing board?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #2416
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Let and rat are correct. Not king of Numenor, but related to them.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #2417
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

PS: I realized that my clue for 5 doesn't follow proper format. I really like the clue, but I'll edit it to make it more solvable.

FOLCO BOFFIN Confused, fool tells lie to small company. Twice noted helping hand.
5. Short girl with unusual name sends storm north in the future to the forest.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #2418
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Telcontar?

Not sure about the con - it's swindle, or else learn in Shakespearean, or with i Italian, I think, none of which work. Perhaps there is a Latin term used in debating that I don't know?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #2419
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Not sure about the con - it's swindle, or else learn in Shakespearean, or with i Italian, I think, none of which work. Perhaps there is a Latin term used in debating that I don't know?
I was just going for con, as in pros and cons. Maybe it's not as used your side of the pond?

TELCONTAR Allow rodent to reverse. Broken by negative argument from king.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 09-11-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Made all answers capital letters
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #2420
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh! Excellent clues. I was just thinking of the wrong kind of argument - a debate (where you'd have things like non-sequiturs) rather than the arguments for or against doing something.

Could this be GELMIR, the messenger of Cirdan?

Had to work backwards, but I managed to find REG (male name) heaved backwards; L is a direction; MI is the name of a note.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-11-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #2421
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

That was perfect reasoning, but sadly wrong messenger.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #2422
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Maybe CIRION?

C for note, R for direction, and can 'Ian' also be spelled 'Ioin?'

If it's correct, I can see ERIO (Sindarin for 'risen') going up the second column of letters, but I don't know anything with only two letters before that; Eglerio is one letter too long. I can also see BOIL as a diagonal, but that's not much good either.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-11-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #2423
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not Cirion. This messenger has been used recently in another password - can't remember for sure but I think it was even one of your own.

Also, neither password is correct.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #2424
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If crap messengers count, I'll try to do something with Barliman.

Brian + l + a ... but alas no m.

I guess messengers have to complete the job to qualify.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #2425
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ok... You're looking for a male name that is actually an animal, at least etymologically.

Hope this helps you find the right one.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #2426
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

My bad. It wasn't your password. I just looked it up and it was one of Urwen's.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #2427
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ebor = E+Bo+R?

I read in a book that Bo could be a male name.....

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #2428
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not Ebor. Remember, etymologically the name means a certain animal - and you wouldn't have to check the dictionary to recognize this one.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #2429
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ceorl? Roe reversed + C + L

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #2430
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Ceorl? Roe reversed + C + L
It's Ceorl, but the male name in question is Leo. Roe also works here, but it's female. Good catch, I haven't even considered it.

CEORL Note the direction upheave male name for messenger.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #2431
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I think 5 is Eryn Lasgalen
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #2432
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh View Post
I think 5 is Eryn Lasgalen
You think correctly.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #2433
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Excellent work. I get everything except 'the future.' Is there another name for the future tense, or the future tense in another language, perhaps?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #2434
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Wait... oooops.

Massive screw up.

The final answer is not Eryn Lasgalen. Thank you Pervinca for noting the "future". The rest of the clue codes for Eryn Lasgalen, but you need the last bit to get to the final answer.

I'm really sorry for this confusion. I was posting off my phone, saw a familiar word, and didn't bother checking it with the clue. I will try to be more careful with that in the future.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #2435
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

All I can think of is Mirkwood or Taur-nu-Fuin, because that forest would be called Eryn Lasgalen in the future.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #2436
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If I put Mirkwood in, I think I can read Crickhollow down the fourth column of letters followed by the fifth, if a) the last row/line is not used the second time round or b) the answer to the final clue is short enough not to stretch to line 5.

I have thought all along, though, that the final clue ends in ION, and I now think the fourth letter of it is H. I have toyed with Erchamion (or Cuthalion), but simply couldn't make the letters all work (apart from HAM for food in Erchamion).

Oh, hang on, is ERC enough of record for broken record? I kind of wondered stuff like this, but thought it too much of a long shot.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-16-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #2437
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
If I put Mirkwood in, I think I can read Crickhollow down the fourth column of letters followed by the fifth, if a) the last row/line is not used the second time round or b) the answer to the final clue is short enough not to stretch to line 5.

I have thought all along, though, that the final clue ends in ION, and I now think the fourth letter of it is H. I have toyed with Erchamion (or Cuthalion), but simply couldn't make the letters all work (apart from HAM for food in Erchamion).

Oh, hang on, is ERC enough of record for broken record? I kind of wondered stuff like this, but thought it too much of a long shot.
Bravo!

CEORL Note the direction upheave male name for messenger.
MIRKWOOD Short girl with unusual name sends storm north in the future to the forest.
ERCHAMION Hero charged particle after broken record announced food.

I had an idea to do a password that goes to the second column and had to find a word that would be long enough, not obvious enough once you got a couple letters, and have decent letter combinations. At first I couldn't think of anything with KW, but Enc. of Arda suggested Mirkwood, so I stuck with Crickhollow as the password.

Sorry again about the confusion with Mirkwood. And yes, ERC is broken REC, which stands for record.

So over to you now.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #2438
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That was a challenging one. I searched and searched for that password!

Where was the 'announced' bit, though?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #2439
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Isn't it another way of saying precedes?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #2440
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Isn't it another way of saying precedes?
Yeah, that's what I was aiming for.

I think some of the best clues on the cryptic thread are those that read as completely normal sentences, and only upon very careful dissection appear as clues at all. I try to make mine that way, but it doesn't always work. But if I can find a synonym that works better within the sentence, I think it makes the clue better.