The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 PM   #441
Beleg
Animated Skeleton

Beleg has just left Hobbiton.
Ok for the 10 days rule.

The answer is correct.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #442
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
What linguistic change partly affected the history of noldor?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #443
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Thingol said for no Sinda to use Quenya tounge....so that didnt start things out all warm and fuzzy...and the Sons of Feanor eventually sacked Menengroth....I guess....
________
HEALTH SHOP

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #444
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I wasn't thinking about that. Try again.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #445
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Ok...i think im liable for a hint.
________
Bmw rennsport

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #446
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hint: early history of noldor...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #447
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien Is this some kind of trick question ?

Are you thinking about the lies that Melkor spread amongst the Noldor and let to the rivalry of Feanor and Fingolfin ? Before that the Noldor had not spoken lies (if I remember correct), with a bit of good will you could call it a linguistic change.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #448
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
*bump*

Hey Lommy you never answered my question. . .

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #449
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I believe she referred to the movement when Noldor separated from Vanyar... the so-called "Shibboleth of Fëanor".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #450
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green I'm here....

Rune - so sorry. But I wasn't thinking about that.
Legate - heh, hmmm...., I'm not actually sure if you're right because honestly, I can't remember what the answer was , only what it was related to. But if you can wait for several hours, I'll check it late this evening when I come home...
Old 02-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #451
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Yes, you were right, Legate. Please take the thread.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #452
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yay, great. Now I have to check what this thread is even supposed to be about...
(...)
(returns)
So Elves, hmm? (Who would have expected that )

What was the original function of talan?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #453
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Telain (plural!) were originally refuges and outlook posts.

...What are the rules? Is it just anything about Elves?
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #454
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Anything about Elves, I guess.

And btw, I was speaking in singular, as in "how does a guitar work".
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #455
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Then I believe you should have said "a talan". (We're such a mature lot around here, aren't we?)

Who was Thingol's chief captain?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #456
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Mablung?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #457
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes.

Your turn.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #458
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay... hm.

Which Elven King liked jewels the most of all?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #459
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

This is just a shot in the dark. . . Elu Thingol?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #460
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, not exactly.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #461
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Thranduil?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #462
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, that's him. Your turn.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #463
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Of what substance was the Third Gate of Gondolin made?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #464
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Was it bronze?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #465
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

It was indeed.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #466
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

All right, when you are so clever - who entered Gondolin on a grey horse?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #467
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Was it Tuor? I don't remember it saying what colour his horse was.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #468
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, it was him. The Elves gave him a horse, of course, he did not arrive on it.

Your turn.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #469
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

But how do you know it was a grey horse? They had white ones too– I just looked it up. (Unless you're going with the horse-breeders thing of calling white horses "greys".)

Anyway.

The pillars of Menegroth were made in the shape of what kind of tree?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #470
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm... beeches?

And it's specifically written there that they brought out a grey one for Tuor.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #471
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Aha! I just found the bit you mean.

And yes, they were beeches.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #472
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Great, now I have to make a new one

Okay, at the risk of looking too self-centered: What and when was the reason for the Elves to abandon Amon Lanc?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #473
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Second Age. Oropher didn't like the neighbours... and he wasn't keen on the rising power of Sauron... and there was this one really smug Elf called Legate who got on his nerves.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #474
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Of course, you are right... at least in the first two, that is. Please continue.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #475
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

How many High Kings of the Noldor had initials other than F?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #476
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That's a very interesting question. I'll try... two?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #477
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Yes.

Your turn.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #478
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh, good, I wasn't that sure if I didn't miss some secret branch in there

Okay... hmm... what about this. Kind of a speciality. We all know Eöl was called "the Dark Elf". However, once, a certain Elf named someone else as "Dark Elf", although he was also called "Dark" himself. Who were these two - the one who spoke and the one who this Elf spoke about?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #479
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Caranthir, referring to Thingol.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #480
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Of course! Well done. You may post a new one.