Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Castle Maladil - Discussion thread

Do not post until the RPG owner has posted first, please. The RPG thread will be opened soon. The Owner has designated this RPG as "invitation only", but will consider characters submitted here until membership is closed. Membership is NOT first come, first served.

RPG Owner: Gandalf the Grey

--------------

RPG Proposal as accepted:

Title: Castle Maladil

Submitted by: Gandalf the Grey

RPG Type: Invitation Only

Number of Spaces Available:

I’ll say ten. However, I’m easily willing to run the RPG with less than ten people, and might possibly be convinced to accept more, if making an exception will enhance rather than detract from the quality of the game.

Spaces Already Filled:

Five spaces are filled already. (Not counting myself.)

Premise:

Join Gandalf the Grey on a quest to lift a curse from haunted Castle Maladil. Though the road known as the Andrath Greenway be short in distance from Sarn Ford to Tharbad, it's plenty long on adventure, peril, and mystery. Brave living foes along the way to reach your destination where you'll face the dead.

"Castle Maladil" is a continuation of "On Patrol." The format of "On Patrol" was designed to combine interactive fan fiction adventure storytelling (role-play) with the element of chance (game). On the role-playing / storytelling side, each participant was given wide latitude when it came to freely choosing a course of action for his or her character. (Of course, each participant was obliged to pay close attention to and coordinate with actions taken by the other characters, for the story to remain consistent.) On the gaming side, certain questions, events, and outcomes were determined by the threadmaster’s roll of the dice. For instance, dice rolls determined how successful were Gandalf’s attempts to battle a wraith, how many ruffians were in a gang of smugglers encountered along the road, who in the company was injured while fighting the smugglers, how extensive were certain injuries sustained, and the strange fate which befell an urgent letter being carried by a ranger from Elrond to Galadriel (long story short, the letter ended up as dinner in someone’s stomach.) Also on the gaming side, this being Middle Earth, it should come as no surprise that a conflict between two characters was resolved through an actual riddle-contest.

The time period of "On Patrol" is nearly the same as that for "Castle Maladil" … roughly a year after Bilbo Baggins’ mysterious departure from the Shire on his eleventy-first birthday. The events of "On Patrol" immediately precede those of Castle Maladil, and occur in game time over the course of several days.

The character makeup of "On Patrol" consisted of various Elves … some with horses and an oliphaunt, a Bombadil, a female Ranger of the race of Men, male Rangers including Strider, a skin-changer, various Hobbits … some with pony carts including Merry who found one after a rainstorm, a wraith, the wraith’s horse, Men, and an Istari who has a fondness for pipeweed. Those player-characters who remained active until the very end of "On Patrol" include Menelduliniel and Estelarion, Bethberry, Birdland, Holly, and myself. The Fifth and Orofacion of the Vanyar both came into the story choosing to make a cameo appearance; both would be welcomed back on either a temporary or permanent basis.

The tone of "On Patrol" strove always to maintain the "look and feel" of Tolkien’s sub-creation, that is, to be "canon" or in keeping with all that we know about Middle Earth as presented in Tolkien’s literary works.

Location/Setting/Time Period within Story:

The company will set out from the Trade Inn at Sarn Ford and journey South to Tharbad. Please note that this RPG takes place about a year after Bilbo Baggins journeyed to stay at Rivendell. Gandalf therefore has no clue that many of the outlaws being encountered are connected with Saruman, nor will he be successful in discovering anything of the sort.

Types of Characters that May Be Involved:

Race: Elves, Men, or Hobbits would be most fitting. A Dwarf or two would come in handy, but you can well imagine that Elvish ghosts guarding gold won’t look too kindly on you, if you take my meaning. Other races will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Other Character Needs: Since it looks like we already have a good blend of diverse talents that complement each other, please feel welcome to add your own individual stamp and preference when it comes to your character’s profession and/or abilities.

(… And yes, mods are welcome to join. ;-) )

Players that Have Already Been Accepted into the RPG:

Bethberry, Birdland, piosenniel, Vanima Edhel, The Fifth as well as anyone else from On Patrol who wishes to become involved again.

Rules that Players of the RPG Must Follow:

1) Your character proceeds on this quest at your character's own risk, knowing full well that injury or death may result from dangerous circumstances, and that actions have consequences. You understand that you may be asked to make a saving throw on a six-sided die in case of an unusual attack … if you miss your saving throw, the results for your character may be rather dramatic. However, whatever happens as a result of failing to make a saving throw can generally be reversed and your character brought back to normal, provided that the company works as a team to help the individual in trouble.

2) Not everybody who applies to be a player in this RPG will automatically be accepted just because he or she submits a character description and asks. If you and I already know each other from posting back and forth to each other in the Barrow Downs forums or through PMs, I am far more likely to accept you. To be honest, if I don’t know you or have never had any contact with you, you probably won’t be accepted. However, newcomers who can show strong evidence of high quality writing ability (such as writing samples that meet my personal, and yes, subjective standards) will find a respectful welcome based upon their merit. Please note that "high quality writing ability" means far more effort, enthusiasm, and creativity than just a skeletal "here's my character, can I join?"

First Post:

Submitted by Gandalf the Grey

Late in the Second Age, Maladil forfeited his Elvish immortality to marry Adela, a mortal woman. They had a son named Kenelm, a daughter named Calimiel, and ten beloved servants.

All was well until Adela died. Then, Maladil bemoaned his earlier decision. One night after smashing glasses and bottles against the bricks of the fireplace in a drunken rage, he swore a mad oath that unless Kenelm sailed West and convinced the Valar to restore his immortality, his fëa would refuse to depart Middle Earth, but remain inside the castle through all eternity, though his body die. Maladil further swore that neither would the Valar take his children or servants the way his wife had been taken, and that Kenelm, Calimiel, and all his servants would share his fate.

That very week, Orcs raided the Castle and slew all the inhabitants in their sleep. But the Orcs stole away no treasure, for the ghosts of Maladil, Kenelm, Calimiel, and the servants drove off those who dared disturb the precious metals and other finery.

It is said the ghosts guard the dread fastness to this day. Maladil shakes the foundations of his Castle with angry pacing footfalls and the stormy shrieks of one gone insane. Kenelm plays a harp with missing strings and sings softly of his captivity. Calimiel tends the ancient herb gardens, reputedly containing plants no longer in existence anywhere else in Middle Earth in this Third Age. Some servants weep, while others resigned to their boredom pass the time with chores to take their mind off their horror.

A recent Council of Rangers held near Sarn Ford has determined an increasing level of peril in the vicinity of the Castle at Tharbad. Outlaws ... and perhaps worse creatures ... are taking advantage of the fell reputation of the area. Though fear prevents foul ruffians and brigands from setting foot in the Castle itself, they expand their territory ever nearer, even unto within sight of its walls. Gandalf the Grey has been asked to see what, if anything, can be done to lift the curse of Castle Maladil or at least drive out what other evil lurks nearby. Those who accompany the wizard may each have their own motives: duty, friendship, interest in rumored treasure, curiosity, seeking their own road in company with strong companions for safety in numbers ... But whatever the reason, it is hoped that all see the wisdom in banding together and combining their talents for the common good.

As a new day dawns, Gandalf and a small band of travelers make ready to leave the Trade Inn at Sarn Ford, to journey South to Tharbad.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome!

Thank you, Mithadan, for initiating this thread.

Without further ado, I hereby pronounce the Castle Maladil Discussion thread open for business. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* bows, straightens up, and soon fireworks appear overhead sending forth streamers of shimmering orange, gold, and red to spangle an obsidian sky *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Thank you, kind Gandalf. After spending 24 hours pondering whether I should be Menelduliniel and Estelarion or whether I should take another approach (okay, some of that time was taken with shrieking quite loudly at my Extended Edition DVD's coming), I decided that they will partake in this adventure. For those that do not know them:

MENELDULINIEL
Name: Menelduliniel
Race: Elf
Appearance: She is about 5'10" with blonde hair and grey eyes. She is slender but fairly strong. She carries two knives. She wears mostly black. She is very pretty (in a cute sort of way).
History: She is the daughter of servants of Thranduil. Because she befriended some people in high positions, she was allowed to train to be a shieldmaiden. She was not too skilled, although she was quite vain and ambitious. She also had a crush on Legolas, who did not return the favor (and never really would). She did not see this, however and, once she knew that he favored her instructor and she favored him, she killed her instructor. She has been trying to live in the wild since. She has been saved by Estelarion a few times, as she always finds her way into trouble.
Horse: Salkadome
Weapons: She uses her two knives mostly, but, if all else fails, she can use a bow and arrows.
Strengths: She is fairly fearless. She is loyal when it is beneficial to her. She has guilt for what she did to her instructor, Poldorawen and, when she loves, she loves with all her soul. She is diligent in all tasks that she attempts.
Weaknesses: She is vain and has a nasty temper (as we saw in "On Patrol"). She is a bit pushy and can be overly ambitious. She doesn't see her flaws and thinks that she could beat even men in fighting, which she certainly could not do.

ESTELARION
Name: Estelarion
Race: Elf
Appearance: He has dark hair and piercing grey eyes. He stands at about 6'2". He, I can honestly say, is very handsome. He is also strong. He wears dark forest green.
History: He is not of noble birth, but his parents were fairly high up in society in the Elf world. He took off into the wilds on his own when he was about 2,100 because he was "bored". He was once captured by Orcs. The Orcs soon caught a young, blonde maiden, Menelduliniel. He eventually managed to free himself and Menelduliniel (with her help, of course), and the two journeyed together for some time. They have been travelling together on and off for many years now. He follows her around a bit, making sure she does not get hurt.
Horse: Amanroch
Weapons: Bow and Arrows...and, later in life, he picks up the art of fighting with a meat cleaver because he was forced to...(not that I'm advertising for "The Whistling Fairy" or anything).
Strengths: He is physically strong and he is brave. He is loyal to Menelduliniel.
Weaknesses: He is a little obssessed with Menelduliniel's well-being and, if she is in trouble, he will drop everything and aid her, even if he will get seriously hurt for doing so. He's also not the most resourceful Elf nor the most trained. He will miss with his arrows quite frequently.

If you want to know anything else at all about them, just ask!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

I've read over the description and all, and I'd like to join the RPG, if I may. :-)

Character Bio:
Name: Alearindu
Race: Man
Description: Alearindu is a basically a Ranger. She is quiet most of the time, and enjoys the night. (Hence the name, Alearindu= glourious twilight) She wears mostly black, dark green and/or maroon. Alearindu is best with her sword, yet is good with her bow and arrows, which she carries with her.
Her horse, Mornen ('Black Waters, Thanks The-Fifth [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) is a completly black horse except for a small stripe of silver-white down the front of his muzzle. In the moonlight, pools of silver shine throughout his coat, which is where he gets his name.
Alearindu doesn't fear many things, but tends to.. not expect the unexpected.

If there is something I left out, I'd be happy to add it for you, Gandalf. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Name: Holly
Race: Hobbit from Stoor stock - a little larger than the Fallohides or Harfoots, more independent, and inclined to wanderlust, adventurous, comfortable in the water, and quite capable of a certain ferocity if roused. Originally from Pincup, where her ma and pa owned a small family store.

Quote:
when Holly's ma and dad passed on, Holly had the store for her own. But as is often the case, her family didn't actually own the building where the store was at. It was on the land of some folks called the Sacksville-Baggins. A grasping group of kinfolk who apparently own half the farthings, and are working on the other half."

"So one day their son and heir comes riding up on his pony and announces that the family plans to raise the rent on the sorry little place. Now of course, Holly was barely making ends meet with her little business, and of course, that weasely son was willing to negotiate, seeing as he had had his eye on our Holly for some time."

"Well, Holly seemed to be in a fix: either take up with that scheming Sacksville-Baggins, or close shop and go live off the kindness of distant relations. But since neither of these things suited Holly's nature, she chose a third way. She threw the key in that boy-o's face, and told him to take his building and to the Void with him . . . packed up what little stock she had on that pony of hers and took to the tinkering life. Hasn't done badly at it, and she travels quite freely around the Westlands; that is, in the areas where it's not too dangerous to go . . . Holly is a right-fair limner. Has been since she was a small lass. She could probably do a lot better with her drawing then her tinkering if she tried, but aside from the odd inn sign or baby portrait, she doesn't get much work in that line. People who have the silver pennies for a good cooking pot seldom have the extra scratch for a drawing, no matter how good." -- courtesy of Birdland
Holly had just come from visiting friends in the Eastfarthing and was making her way to Tharbad when she encountered this group on the road, and travelled with them to the Inn at Sarn Ford. Knowing that travelling in a group is safer in these shadowed days, she has joined forces with them as they travel southeast to Tharbad.

From there, her intention is to go to Isengard and through Fanghorn to the Anduin; then down the Great River to Minas Tirith. From there she wants to go to Pelargir and take the road then to Linhir, where she has a dwelling. The object of this trip is purely for her own curiosity & enjoyment, She is sketching the countryside and sights as she goes and keeping a running description of the trip in her chapbook.

She is travelling with Periwinkle (Peri), her pony.

During her stay at the Inn, she met a fellow Hobbit:

Olo Gardener of Michel Delving.

From a large, farming family - the youngest of seven boys. He is a good natured young man, scrupulously honest, and a masterful handler when it comes to working with horses.

Quote:
(Birdie) smiled to herself, thinking of the not-so-unusual interest the young groom had taken in her friend. But this one seemed to be a little more worthy of Holly's attention. A bright lad, perky but not overly exuberent, with a good head on his shoulders. And he certainly was a good listener! -- courtesy of Birdland
[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:38 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gandalf,

I would very much like to join this game. I have sent you a p.m. regarding my proposed character.

I will await your response before proceeding. Many thanks.

sharon
Old 11-13-2002, 12:29 AM   #7
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Vanima Edhel:

Good to hear that Menelduliniel and Estelarion will continue on the road to Tharbad. * smiles then turns thoughtful * For perhaps doom decrees that even the running of those trapped in exile can work for the good of those trapped in exile powerless to run.

TheLadyAerowen:

Hullo my lady. We've met in chat, our paths cross in passing seldom. From my observations you've a gentle charming elegance. Still, I would like to know you a bit better before making a decision about granting you acceptance to the company. Towards this end, soon you will find a Private Message. * bows respectfully *

piosenniel:

Welcome back to Holly, Periwinkle, and Olo. Hobbits, being close to the earth, will keep the company well grounded, and Peri ensure that we've a modest amount of horse sense. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Child of the 7th Age:

Your PM has been answered, and your character duly accepted into the RPG, to present as you wish. Glad to have you join us, we'll all look forward to getting to know and adventuring with your character. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks Gandalf! Hi, Sharon!

Character - Birdie the Skinchanger

Physical Characteristics - Birdie is a small woman, "no longer young". She has black hair, with a curious snow-white "streak", and a pronounced "widow's peak". Eyes are black.

Birdie is a Skinchanger, and has the ability to "morph" into another body, similar to the Beorn. She can become a Neekerbreeker, a black and white crow, or an Ent. She carries a sling at her waist, and is good with it, but no other weapons.

At the end of "On Patrol", few know of Birdie's special talent, except for Holly the Hobbit, and (due to an unfortunate accident) Bethberry the Healer. Gandalf may or may not know that Birdie is a Skinchanger. (He is as tight-lipped about it as Birdie is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Birdie is a bit of a montebank and grifter, but is basically a kindly soul, who is loyal to her friends, but distrustful of strangers. If you want Birdie to stick her neck out for you, you have to earn her friendship first. She avoids trouble like the plague, and is in no way, shape or form to be considered a "warrior". First and foremost, Birdie takes care of Birdie. (Or so she likes to think.)

She thinks Gandalf is a "nice old man", and at the end of "On Patrol" is 99% convinced that he is actually "the mighty Gandalf the Grey", but is still not entirely convinced that a powerful Wizard would look so scruffy.

Means of transportation - Walking (or on occasion; hopping, flying, or "Ent-strides). Birdie has no horse, being too poor to afford one.

If you would like to know more about Birdie's character, you can check out "On Patrol" or "The Lonely Star" threads.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:50 AM   #9
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
The Eye

At Gandalf_theGrey's request (or, more to be exact, my choice), here is the Elf-Ghost Kenelm's small profile.

Age: Almost as old as the castle; yet younger than Maladil

Appearance: A ghostly being, a fair, yet mournful elf garbed in tattered robes of white, worn the day the Orcs slew him. Blood stains are still visible. Floor-length hair. Oftens carries around an old harp, and although strings have been worn away and are missing, still plays beautifully.

Personality: Unlike Maladil, he was very quiet, much like his mother. He cared more about the arts of poem and song, and prefers to stay only in certain places. He was often left alone, and remains alone, unless he grows weary and wanders the halls along with the servants. Suspicious of strangers.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 11-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #10
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think that I should like to join if I may.

Character: Nardol ("flame head"), a Noldorin Elf born in Aman and a follower of the House of Fëanor, who dwelt with Maedhros during the First Age. Wounded during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad in battle with the Sons of Ulfang, he was taken prisoner and made a slave in Thangorodrim until he was released after the War of Wrath. He bears the scars of his torment both on his body and within it.

He declined the Summons of the Valar and dwelt for a time in Lindon with what remained of his family. Later, he joined with Celebrimbor and lived in Eregion until the people of that nation were seduced by Annatar. Having suffered in Angband, he saw more clearly the nature of of the Deceiver and abandoned Eregion with his wife and child, eventually joining with Elrond during the War of Elves and Sauron. After the fall of Mordor at the end of the Second Age, his wife and son grew weary of the world and departed over the sea, but he was not yet prepared to abandon Middle Earth.

He formed a Wandering Company made up of Elves from the House of Fëanor and journeyed far in Middle Earth even into the East where he came upon an enclave of Avari with whom he dwelt for a time. When these Elves were assailed by Easterlings, he led them to Mirkwood where they joined Thranduil's realm. However Thranduil was ever cool to the people of Fëanor and denied Nardol entry into his kingdom. Bitter, he rejoined his Wandering Company and travelled about, becoming friends with the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains and the Iron Mountains who valued his skills at metalworking. At the time of the events herein, Nardol had settled for a time in Imladris, resting before undertaking further journeys.

He is unfriendly towards Men, remembering all too well the treachery of the Sons of Ulfang and the cruelty of the Easterlings. He thinks little of the Men of the West thinking the Tale of the Fall of Numenor is an all too familiar iteration of the weakness and faithlessness of the younger race. He is grim and quick to anger, more likely to frown than smile, but is skilled at arms and woodcraft. He might enjoy having a Dwarf as a travelling companion.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry raises her hand and says thank you to Gandalf for including her. Bio (another one?) coming later. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 11-13-2002, 10:53 AM   #12
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Hey, GandalfTheGrey, I wouldn’t mind joining this RPG! This is my profile, but of course it’s up to you whether you accept me or not.

Race - Hobbit
Name - Poppy Took
Age - 33 (just out of her tweens)
Appearance - 3’ 5”, long curly brown hair, a little chubby. Blue eyes.
History - The only daughter in her family, with 5 brothers. Because of this she is very boyish in some respects, and learned how to fight. Since childhood she was often running off to places, and causing her parents no end of worry, and followed her brothers wherever they went. As a consequence of this she knows her way around, and has good instincts. She also began to learn how to ride a horse, and so she is fairly experienced in some useful skills. And as all hobbits, she can, of course, cook.
Weapons - None. She could handle some sword work, and has always longed to learn how to use a bow and arrow, but has never had the opportunity.
Strengths - Is loyal, but has never been in any really tough situations before. Might try and run if fear overcame her. However, if she made friends, she would stick by them and help them.
Weaknesses - Has a short temper, easily angered if someone says anything offending her or her family. Dislike of criticism, although she’s grown up a little and can control herself better.

Poppy encountered the group on the road, while on yet another of her various excursions. Interested by what they had to say, she went with them to Sarn Ford.

By the way, Pippin is her second cousin once removed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] so she shares some similar characteristics, and adventurous blood.

I don’t think I’ve really had any conversations with you before, but if you want to see any of my writing, I was in the Audience With The King RPG.

Varda Elentari

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 11-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #13
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Here is some background information for my character Andreth and her family. It is possible that one or two other family members may have some role to play at a later time, so I am including a general description of the household. I know this reads like a post, but I needed to get a handle on the girl in my head.

Dagnir and Elenwe ranked among the most talented artisans in Bree, skilled in the craft of weaving and the fashioning of elaborate embroidered tapestries. Their hangings adorned the counting houses of the richest burghers in the city as well as nearby homes of landed gentry, both those belonging to the little folk and to their own kind.

Their own fortunes were considerably more modest. The door to their workshop faced the street and generally stood open during the day. The family lived and slept in the small but pleasant quarters above. They had a daughter Andreth who was strikingly pretty, just twenty-four years old. Their younger son Brandir had recently enlisted as an apprentice to serve several of the Rangers. He was valued as much for his potential as a healer as for his prowess with the sword.

It was Andreth, however, who must claim our close attention. She was naturally athletic and skilled with the bow. Still, for reasons that will be made clear, she was not as outgoing as one might expect of a happy young maid. She could be dreamy, hiding within herself, reluctant to expose her feelings or ideas to others. She'd lived with her parents for many years, using her skilled fingers and sharp eyes to produce fine cloths and wall hangings. In most respects, her life had been quite ordinary.

Still, the neighbors thought differently. For they had much to say about this family of artisans. It was true that no one could point to any improper behavior on their part. The parents were respectful of all customs and authority. Yet, there was an air of secrecy about the family, as if something strange was going on underneath. Some even charged that the father had wandered off on an adventure in his younger days and ended up meeting a band of silvan Elves.

Nor did the parents make matters any easier by some of the tales they spread. Dagnir claimed, more than once, that his own stirps had fallen far from where it had once been. No one could make any sense of this, since, as far as anyone remembered, the Man and his kin had lived humbly within the artisan community of Bree.

But the greatest irritant of all, as far as the neighbors were concerned, was the behavior of the girl. She was secretive and distant, and seemingly possessed knowledge and vision of her craft that went far beyond her elders. Many wondered how someone from a humble artisan family could have acquired such a gift. But then, they grumbled, what could you expect from a wild young maid with a mop of red curls and green eyes, which always seemed to have a fey look about them!

As a result of all these whisperings, Andreth was not happy. She'd heard too many rumors, too much name-calling, to be trustful of her neigbors. She did have a few friends among the less conventional hobbit tweeners, who seemed to accept her as she was. Still, the girl was looking for a change, wishing and hoping that she'd find a way to get out of Bree. Then an unexpected messenger arrived at her door in the form of her brother who'd come to spend a few days at home. He bore news of a most disturbing nature.......

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-13-2002, 07:11 PM   #14
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! I'm impressed. There hasn't been a new thread with this level of structure and quality for quite a while that I've found. Thoguh I am not the veteran in the RPG threads that some of you in here are, I would greatly appreciate if you considered my character for this RPG:
Name: Hinura
Race: Men
Physical Appearance: about 5'4, has shoulder-length, dirty-brown hair and small dark eyes. Hinura wears travelling gear often, and earns a living as a travelling bard.
Bio: Hinura grew up with her parents and older brother in a small settlement near the Carrock, and the Eastern side of the Misty Mountains. While still in her teens, the number of Warg attacks on the settlement grew steadily, and her father decided to move the family to Midgewater, just east of Bree. Hinura often travelled with her brother to Rivendell, where she learned to speak broken Sindarian (sp?) and fell in love with the Elvish lore, woven into their songs.
Hinura travels about Arnor, working as a bard for a living, and carries a small wooden harp (about the size of a keyboard) with her. She carries a dagger at her side, but is loathe to use it in a fight unless cornered, due to her relatively small size, and prefers to avoid fights altogether. Nevertheless, she is is kind to other travellers that she meets on the road, and has an insatiable curiousity for tales, especially those concerning elves.
Whether my character gets accepted or not, I think I'll definitely follow this RPG. It should be interesting to watch this group of charcters interact.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: tangerine ]
Old 11-13-2002, 07:28 PM   #15
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

There are now 11 people whom I've accepted into the Castle Maladil RPG, and this after stating that I was looking for 10. (Your individual welcome messages appear at the bottom of this post.)

Two people whose names have specially been brought to my attention will also have spaces reserved for them, if they should come here requesting to join: Adanedhel and theWhiteLady, both of whom hail from a different Tolkien forum and both of these, a true pleasure to know.

So as of now, it looks like we're ready to start. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

theLadyAerowen

Black waters, pools of silver ... how very fitting will be Alearindu, for still waters run deep, but must be looked into to be seen. Thank you for joining us on our journey!

Birdie:

Welcome back. As we walk along, now that our riddle-game has ended, I wonder whether we'll discover that it's not really over yet? * said in cryptic tones * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Fifth:

You're perfect to play the part of Kenelm. * bows, doffs his hat to you with due regard for the dignity of so truly noble an Elf caught in such a lengthy doom *

Mithadan:

Welcome! So, an Elf endued with Dwarven skills which include metal-working and wood-working, eh? * lights a pipe at this * Tormented and unfriendly though he be, Nardol too has his tune to contribute to the Music ... and what I sense is a crescendo.

Bethberry:

Welcome back, Merry Light of the Old Forest, in word and deed sparking new song and legend to share with the rest of Middle Earth in the best Bombadil tradition! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Varda:

Always glad to take a Took along on an adventure ... hmmm, now just how closely are you related to Master Peregrin? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] * bows in the Hobbit fashion * I look forward to sharing the road with you.

Elenna:

Welcome back to the Castle Maladil RPG from On Patrol. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I look forward to seeing which character you'll decide on, and to our upcoming adventures together.

Aylwen Dreamsong:

Hail and well met to one graced with gently efficient resourcefulness and circumspection. I thank you for your PM, and bid Aislan welcome to the Castle Maladil RPG. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-13-2002, 07:42 PM   #16
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

tangerine:

A bard, you say? * peers at you, bows a thoughtful greeting *

Alas that our posts crossed, and the time thus out of joint!

Tell you what ... on the one hand, there are so many who have already joined that we're past the official limit of ten. On the other hand, you look to be a promising bard. Though, you're another one whom I'm not familiar with and would need to get to know more in depth before making a firm decision.

Would you be willing to exchange a PM or two about the matter, and wait to see what fate has in store? You're coming in just under the wire.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-13-2002, 08:14 PM   #17
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everyone!

Hello! Yay! The kindly Gandalf the Grey has accepted my character in this RPG! I am looking foward to working with all of you! Is it alright if I post my characters bio?

Name: Aislan
Race: Human
Physical appearance: About 5'6, with black loosely curly hair and almond eyes. She is strong and slender.
History: Aislin had always been an animal person. Her ma passed on when she was little, and her father is an hostler at the Trade Inn, which is how Aislin became interested in animals. She led a small town life, only learning slightly above average sword skills.
Weapons: Mostly uses her sword, and her two daggers. She does know how to hands-on defend herself though.
Strengths: She is self-sufficient, she is strong and hard-working. She knows all there is to know about horses, and can easily treat one if it is hurt or mistreated. She is loyal and usually jovial and good-humoured, and usually keeps cool under pressure. She can easily lift someone's spirits with her smile. She is always willing to help someone in need.
Weaknesses: She is very impatient. She doesn't like waiting for most things. She sometimes doesn't understand why people do things though, and can be easily short-tempered.

Aylwen

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 PM   #18
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Gandalf,

I always did poorly in math, but don't we have twelve? Plus Master Gandalf, of course.

1. Piosenniel
2. Child of the 7th Age
3. Adanedhel
4. White Lady
5. Lady Aerowen
6. Birdland
7. The Fifth
8. Mithadan
9. Bethberry
10. Varda
11. Elanna
12. Aylwen Dreamsong
Old 11-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #19
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohhhh, yes...you're right....and you counted perfectly...what does this mean? I mean, it is two over the limit...I could...well...let me count again...*counts carefully, math isn't her subject either* Yup. 12...we could go for a lucky 13? Just kidding.

Aylwen [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 09:55 PM   #20
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Hullo Child of the 7th Age:

(Thank you for providing the further background history, btw.) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Beginning with this quote of mine:

Quote:
There are now 11 people whom I've accepted into the Castle Maladil RPG, and this after stating that I was looking for 10.
And continuing with this quote of yours:

Quote:
I always did poorly in math, but don't we have twelve? Plus Master Gandalf, of course.
In response to the above:

Adanedhel and theWhiteLady being future acceptees upon their arrival and agreement, let's just say for the sake of mathematical argument that they have indeed already been accepted, making our total 12, without counting me, for I'd make 13.

In the above scenario, there's an obscure formula that comes into play when dealing with haunted castles. It goes something like this: If you were to substitute me for The Fifth such that I would be one of the twelve, and then add the ordinal number (5th) back into the equation again, his essence being after all passed into Shadow long ago, and an ordinal number denoting order being but a shadow of a cardinal number of quantity, The Fifth would quite naturally be swept into Castle Maladil itself as a restless spirit ... to form part of the Quest itself in a seperately ordered set, rather than being part of the quantitative set of Questers.

Any questions? * blinks *

Hullo Aylwen Dreamsong:

All who've been accepted up to this point, remain accepted, whether your number's come up as 1, 5, 12, or indeed, 13. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-13-2002, 11:18 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Quote:
In the above scenario, there's an obscure formula that comes into play when dealing with haunted castles.
Thank you, Grey Pilgrim. I certainly do understand. That must have been the math class where I fell asleep! But I am most gratified that we will all be travelling together.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #22
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Announcement:

When it comes to numbers, I'm afraid we've reached the cut-off point, that bitter pass where unfortunately I'm going to have to start turning away for lack of space those people who submit their own characters.

1) Am currently waiting for a second PM from tangerine before I am able to make a good decision regarding the possible acceptance of her bard character. Regardless of the final decision, tangerine is the final applicant who just made it in under the wire, since our posts crossed last night.

2) I have meanwhile received a PM from yet another person wishing to submit a character ... I will be sending this person a PM letting them know that due to lack of space, if he/she wishes to participate as one of the servant-ghosts within Castle Maladil, that might be possible, provided that after I check this person's credentials a decision is made in favor of acceptance.

3) As of this time, I feel ready to start the RPG anytime now that Mithadan feels he would like to open the RPG by creating the official thread. If tangerine and the servant-ghost are accepted, they can jump in after I post any such acceptance here on the Discussion thread.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 AM   #23
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Gandalf

Would you please just list who will be starting out with us, and their character name.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:05 PM   #24
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Mithadan:

Please check your PMs.

Many thanks,

Gandalf the Grey
Old 11-14-2002, 05:17 PM   #25
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

And................the RPG thread is open!

Good luck to all!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:19 PM   #26
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

As per piosenniel's wise request, here follows the list of Castle Maladil participants:

1) Aylwen Dreamsong - Aislan
2) Belin - Castle servant-ghost
3) Bethberry - Bethberry, Wyrd
4) Birdland - Birdland, Castle servant-ghost
5) Child of the 7th Age - Andreth
6) Elenna - Eirian Silversong
7) Gandalf the Grey - Gandalf, Maladil, Midnight, others
8) Mithadan - Nardol
9) piosenniel - Holly, Periwinkle, Olo
10) Susan Delgado - Castle servant-ghost named Anna
11 tangerine - Hinura
12) The Fifth - Kenelm
13) theLadyAerowen - Alearindu
14) Vanima Edhel - Menelduliniel, Estelarion
15) Varda - Poppy Took

Spots reserved for the following:

1) Adanedhel
2) theWhiteLady

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:15 PM   #27
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bethberry,

Did you get my pm this morning concerning Andreth's need for a 'gentlewoman' to keep an eye on her?

sharon
Old 11-14-2002, 07:28 PM   #28
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
Sting

I will play Anna, one of the Castle servants

Name: Anna (Gift)
She is so named because she was a foundling. That is, her parents had given up on children and grown old when they found a baby girl on their doorstep one morning. She was their gift. No one knows where she really came from.

Race: Ghost (all right, Man)

Occupation: Floor Monitor for the floor containing the family. She was in charge of the chambermaids' duties. She also did some of those duties herself.

Personal stuff: She's fairly young (mid twenties perhaps) but knows her stuff. When she was alive, she was secretly in love with Kenelm. She never said anything, because she was only a servant and he was the son of the master of the castle.
Now that their circumstances have been frozen by their deaths, she follows him quietly and can listen to him play his harp for hours. He's never given any overt signals that he's aware of her, but this does not deter her.

Unlike some of the other servants, she has not bothered to continue her duties as maid: she doesn't see the point.
When she's not listening to Kenelm play, she likes to wander in the rose garden. She and Cemiliel have become friends.

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 11-14-2002, 08:11 PM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Child,

I have just replied to the email. And my box for PMs is now open.

Bethberry
Old 11-15-2002, 07:07 AM   #30
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Hello! This RP looks like great fun, and I have been honored with permission to join!

Name: Eirian Silversong
Race: Elvish
Appearance: Black hair with a silver streak behind her ear. Dark gray eyes. 5'6".
Occupation: Wandering minstrel and healer. Doesn't fight at all.
History: Was raised in Rivendell. Her parents left for the West when she was a little more than a century old. She left Rivendell and became a traveling singer. She also has great knowledge of herbs, and is a powerful healer. As such, she is morally opposed to causing pain, and does not fight.
Personality: Calm and collected most of the time, and has no temper to speak of. However, she will get a bit angry when people want to fight.

She is intended to be a bit contrapuntal to all of ye warriors.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:08 PM   #31
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Notes about Morhâk the Looter, Shagdug Darkspear, and their relationship to the ghostly Butler and Master Maladil:

1) Maladil does not know about the arrangement worked out between the Butler and the two Orcs.

2) I'd prefer not to explain the fate of the living prisoners delivered up by the Orcs to the Butler just yet. Thus, I'd greatly appreciate it if those playing the part of a ghost-character don't develop this part of the plot, and please don't mention these prisoners in their posts, for now.

3) On a related note, Holly with her knack for maps will surely remember at some point that at the Council of Rangers, a map was passed around marked with places where crimes had been committed, and that a wagon and its occupants went missing in the vicinity of Tharbad. Bethberry will also be able to remember this bit of information, as will Gandalf.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-15-2002, 08:55 PM   #32
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Name: Celumëomaryu, "voice of the stream"
Race: Elvish ghost.
Occupation: Castle secretary. She was in charge of any and all accounting, librarian duties, or important letter writing. Occasionally, she would even deliver these letters, lending them an appropriate air of gravity with her severe face.
Personality: She's not winning any popularity contests, this one. Her admittedly useful talents have gone to her head, and she tends to sweep around grandly, to the amusement of some of the other servants and the irritation of the rest. She is opinionated, prickly, and proud.

On the other hand, though a casual observer would never know, she's very attached to Calimiel and would do almost anything to keep her from harm... although, as things stand, harm has already come. So she harbors a certain bitterness toward Maladil, and her loyalty to the family as a whole (other than Calimiel) has waned considerably since her death.

Furthermore, now that she is dead, there has been little or nothing left in the way of secretarial work. For years, she invented things to do, and now that she has more or less run out, spends her time pacing the halls and growing more and more irritable. If the curse isn't lifted soon, talking to her will be roughly equivalent to touching a wounded dog.

....And since I am dead, I can take off my head to recite Shakespearean quotations.. no, wait, that's not right. But I bet I can do the scary laugh thing.

Mweheheheheh!
Bwoohohohoho!
....hm. I can see I'll need to work on this.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 11-16-2002, 12:22 AM   #33
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf - Will you, or someone else, be carrying the character of Calimiel?
Old 11-16-2002, 01:12 AM   #34
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

An excellent question, Birdland, and very insightful.

I've been debating the matter myself. I have a feeling that Calimiel will need to be handled with care. Now that Calimiel has been referred to more than once in the posts of a Castle ghost, and Kenelm has made an appearance through a post, it would indeed be opportune for the daughter of Maladil to be more of a presence.

My gut feeling is that I'd like someone else other than me to do most of the carrying of the character of Calimiel ... but whoever does so would need to work closely with me, rather than have free reign over the interpretation of this character. While Calimiel exerts a certain charm over some in the Castle, she exudes a weird aura as well ... It's fascinating to note that her own brother Kenelm does not go out of his way to be near her ... and I did not even hint to The Fifth that he play his character this way!

Gandalf the Grey

[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-16-2002, 02:45 PM   #35
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

f.y.i.: Lyrics (originally in Irish) courtesy of Enya. The song was the translation of "Storms in Africa" which actually has no mention of Africa in it at all. Just thought I'd give credit to the original author of the meaning of the words!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:39 PM   #36
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Excellent choice of song, Vanima [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2002, 10:00 AM   #37
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Varda - Holly and her pony Peri have just greeted you.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:01 AM   #38
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bethberry,

Your suggested post is fine. As you expected, Bethberry may be more eager to meet Andreth, than Andreth to meet Bethberry. She is feeling a bit self-conscious about being the only maid in the group to have a "chaperone" recruited by such a nervous (and loving) parent.

I will not put up my next post until you do yours.

sharon

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-17-2002, 11:49 AM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Sharon -

Holly has just noted Andreth and is curious about her. Expect to be chatted up when the Hobbit finds the opportunity.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #40
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Sorry for the delay, Sharon. I'll post later today--family calls. How exactly will Bethberry know Andreth if Andreth doesn't come up to her?

Or should I edit my first post and have Bethberry appear before Andreth, dirt under nails, moss in hair, and all?

Pio, I had also posted in my SAVE post that I would be hooking up with Varda's character, as she has made a suggestion of that in her prior post, and as Varda and I planned in chat. Does this impact on your post?

I owe you both emails. Tonight I hope.

Bb