The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #521
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
3 wolves, 3 innocents who knew what was going on, and 2 innocents who were completely, utterly clueless.
A village is as strong as its weakest link... erm... the weakest links.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #522
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Boro Shasta is still counted amongst the living on the living thread.
Thank you. Corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I wish we could protest that Nilp's vote came in on the 10:00 GMT minute itself and is therefore disqualified, but that is a slender legalism indeed.

If you thinking of it as killing off his own team (and thus himself), that really was the Nilping to end all Nilping.
Yeah I remember that being a contested point in one of the previous games and I can't remember who the moderator was but they completely disappeared for 2 or so weeks and the game went dead.

I think it's been generally accepted anything that comes in at :00 is good. Anything :01 is not.

Quote:
On a totally different issue: kudos to Boro for the narration! Loved it.
Thanks Nogrod. :-)
Old 06-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #523
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The Beast Hunter giveth and the Beast Hunter taketh away.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #524
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I think it's been generally accepted anything that comes in at :00 is good. Anything :01 is not.
I've played probably too many games of 'Downs Werewolf and I think it has always been the rule, that :00 is okay and :01 is not.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #525
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I've played probably too many games of 'Downs Werewolf and I think it has always been the rule, that :00 is okay and :01 is not.
As much as I don't WANT it to be the rule, I knew in my gut when it happened that he had it in in time--though I think my internal "clock" said "if it's before Boro's post it counts even if the stamps are both 6:01 and if it's after, it doesn't, even if the stamps are both 6:00."
Old 06-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #526
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morm
III. Deadline and Voting:
1. Posting in the game thread has to stop at the deadline.
2. Unless otherwise specified by the mod, votes should be on a separate line, preceded by a "++", and bolded. Otherwise they do not count.
3. Votes are counted up to deadline 'downs time. Votes posted after this time do not count. (F.ex., for a 1pm deadline, a vote posted at 1:00 counts, at 1:01 does not.)
4. Votes can be regarded as non-retractable unless otherwise specified by the mod.
Quotes don't count as a message and I need text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morm
B. Guidelines for Mods:

I. Before Signing up for Modding:
1. Would-be mods must have participated in at least 7 games of Barrowdowns werewolf before modding.
Also, on me modding. I don't think I have 7 games and even if I did they took place 6 to 10 years ago so probably don't count. I can wait
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #527
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
So who do we think will join us in the Morning? The wolves must be caught between two possibilities:

1/ The Ranger protected Nilp last Night, per his request; therefore he's unprotected and the obvious target.

2/ The Ranger protected Rikae as a prospective Seer last Night, and is probably protecting Nilp toNight (as a 'known' innocent). Therefore... who? Shasta is the most obviously dangerous, since he has the pack down perfectly, but the Ranger can see that too. (EDIT: Yes, I forgot; thank you, Greenie. Stars, that's embarassing.)

It probably also depends on how confident they are in getting all 4 votes in early toMorrow. If they don't think they can, they probably want to specifically hunt the Ranger, to clear the way for toMorrow Night.

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 06-12-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:27 AM   #528
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
2/ The Ranger protected Rikae as a prospective Seer last Night, and is probably protecting Nilp toNight (as a 'known' innocent). Therefore... who? Shasta is the most obviously dangerous, since he has the pack down perfectly, but the Ranger can see that too.
Ummm - Huin, did you miss the part where they last-minute lynched Shasta?
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:30 AM   #529
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
But yes, it'll be interesting to see whether they go for Nilp as a more or less known innocent, try to gun for the unknown Ranger (Brinn? Pitch? I think Pitch seems more likely atm, though who knows what the wolves think), or go for the one who was perhaps most vocally on Shasta's side and thus hardest to point fingers at toMorrow (ie. Sally).
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 06-12-2020, 03:44 AM   #530
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Ummm - Huin, did you miss the part where they last-minute lynched Shasta?
... [Facepalm]

Clearly I had blocked that memory overnight.

hS
Old 06-12-2020, 03:51 AM   #531
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron
... [Facepalm]

hS
Can't blame you. I wish I could, too.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 AM   #532
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Well, if the wolves manage a kill, they're sure to be waiting there at the Daybreak to vote. With a 4-4 situation it means the party which gives the last vote loses. The wolves understand that and (as I think is obvious) Rikae understands that. Unless some RL problem prevents them, they should all be able to vote immediately and the Cobbler knows to be there and see whom to vote. So the Village has maybe a minute to play.

On the villager's side we have once more a problem with Nilp as the time is more or less awkward for him. Let's see if he could redeem himself by waking up for it and joining the fray.

The slight hope we might have, I think, is if all the Villagers understand the situation and come separately to the same conclusion: that they must pick the same wolf and do it fast. And who would that be? Well, they could come up with Mac just by inference and realize he's the only one the others could pick as well. So if they all start the Day by voting Mac, without waiting first how the others vote, then there is a chance.

Not that great a chance though.

So, go Ranger! You're our best (practically only) hope!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #533
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
But yes, it'll be interesting to see whether they go for Nilp as a more or less known innocent, try to gun for the unknown Ranger (Brinn? Pitch? I think Pitch seems more likely atm, though who knows what the wolves think), or go for the one who was perhaps most vocally on Shasta's side and thus hardest to point fingers at toMorrow (ie. Sally).
My guess is they try to go for the securest kill possible aka. someone who's least probably protected aka. the Ranger themself or the one the Ranger would least likely protect. If they succeed in their NightKill, they don't need to point fingers at anyone in particular.

So even if their chances are pretty good (3/4 to succeed) they still have a slight problem in picking their choice.

The Ranger could be anyone but Nilp - I guess that's safe to assume - and could thus protect anyone.

Nilp is the known innocent but also the one who probably should be let to live because of the timezone problem he has. Of the four villagers he's the least likely to be there so the best bet to let live.

Sally was strongly supporting Shasta, so they would probably want to get rid of her just because of that (even if it doesn't actually matter to them, who dies). But that strong opposition might be the reason for the Ranger to protect her.

Brinn and Pitch would be my best bets for the Ranger - Pitch clearly saw what was going on and I believe Brinn saw the light late yesterDay. So either if them? If I were the Ranger and either of them, I'd probably protect the other one.

As I think Pitch looks more like the Ranger, I'd go for him were I a wolf.

Let's see.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #534
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
... [Facepalm]

hS
Quote:
Can't blame you. I wish I could, too.
*insert diabolical laughter*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #535
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
*insert diabolical laughter*
I preferred it when you quoted Kafka.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #536
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I thought that was a Kafka quote.

hS
Old 06-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #537
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
How about this, then, as we are on the topic of what may happen toMorrow:

“But I’m not guilty,” said K. “There’s been a mistake. How is it even possible for someone to be guilty? We’re all human beings here, one like the other.” “That is true,” said the priest. “But that is how the guilty speak.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #538
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
How about this, then, as we are on the topic of what may happen toMorrow:

“But I’m not guilty,” said K. “There’s been a mistake. How is it even possible for someone to be guilty? We’re all human beings here, one like the other.” “That is true,” said the priest. “But that is how the guilty speak.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial
I don't know who Kafka is, but this is how I feel when "innocent until proven guilty" turns into a media witch hunt prior to the trial.

Speaking of witch hunts, we're at about 5 hours until Day begins.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #539
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
Speaking of witch hunts, we're at about 5 hours until Day begins.
Oi, time flies in Werewolf

Except with 10 minutes prior to the DL when you're staring at the clock wondering if a villager who took a nap will wake up.

At the 5 minute mark I had the deadline over post typed out with an explanation as to why Mac was going to be the lynch. "Then oh wait...nope, cancel that."
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #540
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm giving my thesis proposal today an hour before the deadline, with the defense part immediately after, so I'm guessing by the time I check in here the game will already have been decided. See you all on the other side!
Old 06-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #541
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I'm giving my thesis proposal today an hour before the deadline, with the defense part immediately after, so I'm guessing by the time I check in here the game will already have been decided. See you all on the other side!
Good luck! And good luck to all of us.

hS
Old 06-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #542
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Good luck! And good luck to all of us.

hS
Thanks! I'm expecting one win and one loss today, if I'm being honest. And it's not the thesis proposal I'm worried about.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #543
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Good luck! I can absolutely honestly wish you that for this one; for winning Werewolf, of course, I cannot say the same at all
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #544
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote
Thanks! I'm expecting one win and one loss today, if I'm being honest. And it's not the thesis proposal I'm worried about.
That's the spirit! Good luck xx
Old 06-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #545
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I think I'm already congratulating you: way to go Lottie!

PS. What's the subject of your thesis?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #546
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think I'm already congratulating you: way to go Lottie!

PS. What's the subject of your thesis?
I'm studying water ice in seasonally shadowed regions at the lunar poles.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #547
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
I'm studying water ice in seasonally shadowed regions at the lunar poles.
That sounds pretty cool indeed! Well, in any sense of the word cool.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #548
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

15 minutes.

Let's make a public poll.

1) How many wolves will vote within the first minute of the game?

2) Has the Cobbler voted after a minute has been played?

3) Is there any vote cast by an innocent after one minute of play?

4) Is there any attempt at quick co-operation by the innocents within the first minute?
Old 06-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #549
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I'm afraid it will go:

1) All three

2) Yes

3) Possibly one

4) Sadly no
Old 06-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #550
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Nog, don't forget the Ranger might still save the day! Not likely given how well this game is going but one can always hope
Old 06-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #551
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Nog, don't forget the Ranger might still save the day! Not likely given how well this game is going but one can always hope
Sure.

As long as there is life, there is hope - says someone who is dead.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #552
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I'm putting my money on 'one of the innocents votes with the wolves'.

Seems a pretty safe bet in this game.

hS
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #553
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

For your wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

And go Lottie, go! Good luck.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #554
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
I'm putting my money on 'one of the innocents votes with the wolves'.
I'd say that's more probable than all the innocents voting the same person...
Old 06-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #555
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Welcome, Dead Hunter!
Old 06-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #556
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Day 5

Go, Lottie! Go! Good luck.

The Dead

Boro (Town Recorder) - murdered by pack Night 1
Huinesoron (Villager) - lynched Day 1
Loslote (Villager) - killed by pack Night 2
Nogrod (Villager) - Lynched Day 2
Blind Guardian (Villager) - killed by pack Night 3
Formendacil (Villager) - lynched Day 3
A Little Green (Seer) - killed by pack Night 4
Legate of Amon Lanc (Werewolf) - caught in BH booby trap Night 4
Shastanis Althreduin (Villager) - Lynched Day 4
Nilpaurion Felagund (Beast Hunter) - Death ritual Night 5

---

Welcome Nilp!

Do not think to harshly on everyone wishing you would stay asleep yesterday. After all, you did warn everyone in the thread after your successful trap you were just a confused ordo now.

Lottie summed it up best:

Quote:
The Beast Hunter giveth and the Beast Hunter taketh away.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #557
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Mac is an ordo?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #558
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

LOMMY?????????????????????

Seriously were we wrong about her or Mac?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #559
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
++ Mac

everyone real fast?
WAIT what the Utumno?

hS
Old 06-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #560
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*Evil cackling intensifies*